TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Suzanne

Arrow A couple of small problems with new Premiere

Hello! A week ago I purchased a new Premiere to replace my Tivo HD with failing hd. (the second hd the tivo has gone through)

I installed and set up the Premiere with no problems. The first small glitch I came upon is the fact that I cannot delete the 2 minute welcome video that comes up in My Shows. Well, I can send it to the deleted folder, but it will not permanently delete. It's more an annoyance rather than a problem and am only mentioning it because I am writing about another thing too.

When I realized that my Tivo HD was again going out I transferred 141 shows to my computer. Once I had them all transferred I removed the HD and hooked up the Premiere. Yesterday I started transferring the shows from my computer to the Premiere. NONE of the shows are going into groups/folders and they are all fairly recent shows that are all still being shown on one channel or another. So far, all new Premiere recorded shows are going into folders. gggggrrrrrrrr!

I've turned the groups off and back on again. I've done a restart, nothing happening. It's driving me crazy because I hate having so many shows listed individually. I do not want to leave the shows on the computer and watch them from there, I want them on the Tivo for a variety of reasons. If no solution is found, I guess I'll just have to transfer a few shows at a time, watch them, then transfer some more.

Is this a problem inherent with shows recorded on the HD and transferred to the Premiere? Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

Thank you very much!

Suzanne
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
Hello! A week ago I purchased a new Premiere to replace my Tivo HD with failing hd. (the second hd the tivo has gone through)

I installed and set up the Premiere with no problems. The first small glitch I came upon is the fact that I cannot delete the 2 minute welcome video that comes up in My Shows. Well, I can send it to the deleted folder, but it will not permanently delete. It's more an annoyance rather than a problem and am only mentioning it because I am writing about another thing too.

When I realized that my Tivo HD was again going out I transferred 141 shows to my computer. Once I had them all transferred I removed the HD and hooked up the Premiere. Yesterday I started transferring the shows from my computer to the Premiere. NONE of the shows are going into groups/folders and they are all fairly recent shows that are all still being shown on one channel or another. So far, all new Premiere recorded shows are going into folders. gggggrrrrrrrr!

I've turned the groups off and back on again. I've done a restart, nothing happening. It's driving me crazy because I hate having so many shows listed individually. I do not want to leave the shows on the computer and watch them from there, I want them on the Tivo for a variety of reasons. If no solution is found, I guess I'll just have to transfer a few shows at a time, watch them, then transfer some more.

Is this a problem inherent with shows recorded on the HD and transferred to the Premiere? Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

Thank you very much!

Suzanne
Sorry to say, but it all sounds like normal operation. What are you using to transfer the shows to/from your PC? I don't know of any SW that lets you transfer shows as a group back to the Tivo and I don't think that the Tivo is smart enough to group them even if you transfer between Tivos directly.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
bryan4980

I called Tivo about the same issue a while ago and they claim that some people wanted to keep the video forever so they made it impossible to delete. The change happened sometime between Oct. 2011 and Feb. 2012 I think.
bryan4980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Suzanne

Lillevig - I'm using TiVo desktop. I'm not trying to move them as a group. I'm moving them one at a time. But after you've transferred two episodes of a show, say CSI, a folder should be created for CSI shows.

When I knew my original hd was going out I transferred all my shows to my computer. I installed a new hd and transferred all of the shows back to the TiVo. After transferring a second episode of a show, a folder was created again, as it did when i recorded the episodes. The only show that did not create a folder was Sons of Anarchy and that was because no episodes were being shown on tv and it was not listed on the channel guide.

I can transfer the shows back to the old TiVo with the bad hd and after the second episode of a show is transferred, they are put in a folder. They are not being put in a folder when transferred to the Premiere. I wanted to know if others had that problem too or if I was the only one and maybe there was a solution. I just figured that maybe there was a little something different about the recording from the TiVo HD that maybe the Premiere couldn't read and therefore couldn't put them in folders.

Bryan - Seriously? What a crock! I don't see anyone wanting to keep that forever other than the people who are in it. They should correct that. If someone wants to keep it they can transfer it to their computer. Thanks for the info! Now I know it's not something wrong with my TiVo.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Recordings that can't be purged from the Deleted folder will usually be removable after rebooting the TiVo.

Ignore the silly statement by the CSR relayed by bryan4980, as indeed you should ignore all statements by CSRs. It's not true and was obviously pulled from the CSR's ass. (I don't understand why they do that, but they do.) Nondeletable recordings are just a glitch that happens sometimes, and there's no special protection for the welcome video.

lillevig, a TiVo can absolutely group transferred recordings, and normally, with .TiVo files, it would. However, there's a bug in the 20.2 software for the Premiere that interferes with normal grouping, as well as with the transfer of many metadata items.

The grouping might work if you used pyTivo instead of TiVo Desktop to transfer the files back. See here for more on this subject.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
bryan4980

I actually tried rebooting the Tivo affected and tried deleting again the video is still there. I gave up on it as it is not on the Tivo I usually use. At some point I may upgrade the drive and use an image from another of my Tivo's so the welcome video goes away. It has stayed through several reboots and a software update.
bryan4980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The grouping might work if you used pyTivo instead of TiVo Desktop to transfer the files back. See here for more on this subject.
I can confirm that. If you use pyTivo, groups still work properly, even those based on a user created seriesId. This is for pulls to a Premiere.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
Ignore the silly statement by the CSR relayed by bryan4980, as indeed you should ignore all statements by CSRs. It's not true and was obviously pulled from the CSR's ass. (I don't understand why they do that, but they do.)
A CSR who was less than 100% accurate? Oh, no, say it isn't so, William!
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Suzanne

However, there's a bug in the 20.2 software for the Premiere that interferes with normal grouping, as well as with the transfer of many metadata items.

wmcbrine - Thank you! That's what I was looking for! I'm glad to know that it's a bug in the software and not a problem with my Tivo itself. I've heard of pyTivo before so I guess I'll try it out now.

BTW, I've already rebooted 3 times and the video ain't budging. lol! I guess it's made itself at home. I kinda wondered if it was a screw up from Tivo and that statement was a way of covering their collective *sses when people complained about not being able to get rid of it. Not the first time they've done that.

Thank you for your help and thank you to everyone else too!

Suzanne
Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
lillevig, a TiVo can absolutely group transferred recordings, and normally, with .TiVo files, it would. However, there's a bug in the 20.2 software for the Premiere that interferes with normal grouping, as well as with the transfer of many metadata items.

Is the automatic grouping supposed to work when transferring directly between Tivos? Is sure doesn't do that going from my S2 to my S3HD. Haven't tried it yet with the Premiere.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Supposed to, I'd think so. In practice, MRV transfers lose a lot of metadata, too (and grouping is done on the basis of metadata), and have for a long time. I can't say they never group, but I don't do it often enough to say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Supposed to, I'd think so. In practice, MRV transfers lose a lot of metadata, too (and grouping is done on the basis of metadata), and have for a long time. I can't say they never group, but I don't do it often enough to say.
Ok, looks like the Premiere does group on Tivo-to-Tivo transfers but the S3HD doesn't. Haven't tried going back to the S2 but I'll make a wild guess that it won't group either.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Is the automatic grouping supposed to work when transferring directly between Tivos? Is sure doesn't do that going from my S2 to my S3HD. Haven't tried it yet with the Premiere.
As an experiment, I transferred 2 episodes of "The Good Guys" from my TiVo 2 to my THD. As expected, as soon as the 2nd transfer started, a "The Good Guys" group showed up. Not sure what is causing your problem. Have you tried turning groups off and back on again?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
As an experiment, I transferred 2 episodes of "The Good Guys" from my TiVo 2 to my THD. As expected, as soon as the 2nd transfer started, a "The Good Guys" group showed up. Not sure what is causing your problem. Have you tried turning groups off and back on again?
Never saw that option before (I was looking under "Settings"). Finally found it. Thanks.