TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
brebeans

RIP - Dick Clark

Wow....

I know he's "only" a celebrity, but being a child of the 60's/70's, having a household that loved music and dance, and having the television be my babysitter for prime American Bandstand years, I am truly saddened by the death of Dick Clark.

Watching the various clips, artists, Dick's expressions, tone and introductions just put me right back there.....

He, and American Bandstand were truly, not only a backdrop to my life, but also part of it and a foundation for loving and living a life filled with music.

I've posted before, on this thread about possible availability of episodes of AB from late 50's through the 60's and early 70's. Most of you thought they didn't keep episodes, but that some clips were available.

Does anyone have any news or updates on possible availability of AB episodes (early ones)?

I'd like to re-live my youth...somewhat.....and watch them.

thanks.
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=486129
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
brebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Yes, thanks, I saw that.

I wanted, also, to put it on the TV show thread since AB and other Dick Clark related things are so related to this thread more than just a general chit chat thread.

I thought some folks here might want to comment. But, if not.....

I still am looking for full episodes, or nearly full episodes, of early American Bandstand (e.g. including Kenny and Arlene and some of the regular dancers). I'm doing some writing and reviewing and would like them for my work, too.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebeans View Post
I still am looking for full episodes, or nearly full episodes, of early American Bandstand (e.g. including Kenny and Arlene and some of the regular dancers). I'm doing some writing and reviewing and would like them for my work, too.
How early is that?

Keep in mind a few things (that I picked up from years of people looking for recordings of early game shows):

First, there was a point before which they would have had to kinescope the shows, and keep in mind that it was on every weekday at first; most early kinescopes have long since been destroyed, presumably for the silver content of the silver nitrate in the film.

Second, even after they started using video tape, most tapes prior to the 1970s - especially the earliest color ones - are degrading quite rapidly. I seem to recall somebody uncovering early tapes of Dark Shadows, but they turned out to be in no condition to air.

Third, while all three networks "cleaned out their closets" in the mid-1970s, which is why there are very few Chuck Woolery Wheel of Fortune episodes available, ABC seemed to be particularly notorious for some reason. (Most CBS and NBC episodes of Goodson-Todman prime time game shows from before 1975 still exist, but very few ABC ones do.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
brebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
How early is that?

Keep in mind a few things (that I picked up from years of people looking for recordings of early game shows):

First, there was a point before which they would have had to kinescope the shows, and keep in mind that it was on every weekday at first; most early kinescopes have long since been destroyed, presumably for the silver content of the silver nitrate in the film.

Second, even after they started using video tape, most tapes prior to the 1970s - especially the earliest color ones - are degrading quite rapidly. I seem to recall somebody uncovering early tapes of Dark Shadows, but they turned out to be in no condition to air.

Third, while all three networks "cleaned out their closets" in the mid-1970s, which is why there are very few Chuck Woolery Wheel of Fortune episodes available, ABC seemed to be particularly notorious for some reason. (Most CBS and NBC episodes of Goodson-Todman prime time game shows from before 1975 still exist, but very few ABC ones do.)
Hi there:
Thanks a lot. I am so disappointed that some of this stuff isn't available. Seeing some of the "clips" is just a reminder of how much I enjoyed and would still enjoy, seeing AB again.

So, if there are clips of the show that are available, (excuse my video making/storage ignorance here) why wouldn't there be a few more and/or longer episodes? Just curious and it's partly rhetorical question.

Thanks anyway.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

There may well only be clips left now. A lot of video tape was reused back then and shows were not stored for posterity.

Many of the early Johnny Carson shows are just not available because of this and I know the same is true of some Doctor Who episodes - and I'm sure, many, many others of the period.