TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Yard Sale S2

I have a Series 2 TiVo I bought at a yard sale, its a TC140600. It works and its status reads "In good standing" but i did not hook it up to a phone line.
I bought it for $3 and mainly got it for its remote, one can never have enough TiVo remotes laying around but thats another story for another day.

The lady i bought the S2 from said it was a gift from her former boss and the service is still being paid for by her former boss and its plan is $6.95 a month.
Now being the owner of this S2 do you think i would be able to transfer the $6.95 a month plan from it to my existing Premiere or a new TiVo? With me paying for it of course.

I have not contacted TiVo so as far as i know the service is still being paid on this TiVo. I do not even have a TV to use it on, testing it was a PITA. My TiVo HD is lifetime and my Premiere is prepaid for the year grand fathered at $99 a year and was just re-up'd last month. It would be nice to be able to get that down to $6.95 but it wont break the bank if i dont. I would be in the market for an Elite if i could get the $6.95 a month plan on it Sugestions anyone?

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 03-30-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Won't happen.
In order to transfer a subscription plan, it has to be YOUR plan, not someone else's.

As far as Tivo is concerned, you don't own that Tivo until you put it on your account. And when you go to put it on your account, you'll have to put a subscription on it that YOU are eligible for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
I have a Series 2 TiVo I bought at a yard sale, its a TC140600. It works and its status reads "In good standing" but i did not hook it up to a phone line.
I bought it for $3 and mainly got it for its remote, one can never have enough TiVo remotes laying around but thats another story for another day.

The lady i bought the S2 from said it was a gift from her former boss and the service is still being paid for by her former boss and its plan is $6.95 a month.
Now being the owner of this S2 do you think i would be able to transfer the $6.95 a month plan from it to my existing Premiere or a new TiVo? With me paying for it of course.

I have not contacted TiVo so as far as i know the service is still being paid on this TiVo. I do not even have a TV to use it on, testing it was a PITA. My TiVo HD is lifetime and my Premiere is prepaid for the year grand fathered at $99 a year and was just re-up'd last month. It would be nice to be able to get that down to $6.95 but it wont break the bank if i dont. I would be in the market for an Elite if i could get the $6.95 a month plan on it Sugestions anyone?
What does the next line down, TiVo Service Level, say?
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What does the next line down, TiVo Service Level, say?
Under "Account in good standing" is "Home Media Option" and its blank
the next three catogories all say "inactive" at the bottom is says "Variable up to 63 hours.
It is running Software Version 4.0.1b, I have no idea how old it is only that it looks and runs like new. It came with all of its goodies except the box, for $3 bucks i thought it to be a great deal since i was only after the remote. I have a HUGE German Shepherd dog who likes to play with them when i forget they are laying around and use to have a Cockatoo who would escape from his cage and rip the buttons off of any remote or cordless phone he could get to.

It boots up pretty fast and imediately tells you it wants to phone home. Hitting the TiVo button takes you to TiVo Central where there are some old recordings on it that play great. The lady i got it from said she never used it and it was a gift to her from her former boss.

I have a 26in RCA Tube TV i hooked it up to stored in the basement to see if it works. If nothing else i'll hang on to it and put it in a guest room maybe when i have a guest room to put it in..

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 03-30-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Under "Account in good standing" is "Home Media Option" and its blank
the next three catogories all say "inactive" at the bottom is says "Variable up to 63 hours.
It is running Software Version 4.0.1b, I have no idea how old it is only that it looks and runs like new. It came with all of its goodies except the box, for $3 bucks i thought it to be a great deal since i was only after the remote. I have a HUGE German Shepherd dog who likes to play with them when i forget they are laying around and use to have a Cockatoo who would escape from his cage and rip the buttons off of any remote or cordless phone he could get to.

It boots up pretty fast and imediately tells you it wants to phone home. Hitting the TiVo button takes you to TiVo Central where there are some old recordings on it that play great. The lady i got it from said she never used it and it was a gift to her from her former boss.

I have a 26in RCA Tube TV i hooked it up to stored in the basement to see if it works. If nothing else i'll hang on to it and put it in a guest room maybe when i have a guest room to put it in..
The current software verison for S2s is 9.3.2something

Does it say

TiVo Account Status: 3: Account in Good Standing

?

How old is the newest recording on there?

(trying to figure out the last time it phoned the mothership)

Do you have a spare IDE drive larger than 60GB?

(this one likely has a Maxtor 60GB, which will have a lsightly higher LBA number than other brands)

If you back out of System Information, into Account & System Information, is there a line that says

Media Access Key?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
The current software verison for S2s is 9.3.2something

Does it say

TiVo Account Status: 3: Account in Good Standing

?

How old is the newest recording on there?

(trying to figure out the last time it phoned the mothership)

Do you have a spare IDE drive larger than 60GB?

(this one likely has a Maxtor 60GB, which will have a lsightly higher LBA number than other brands)

If you back out of System Information, into Account & System Information, is there a line that says

Media Access Key?
The oldest and newest recording is may of 04, i do not have a spare drive other than the stock drives from my TiVo HD and Premiere that im haning onto for a rainy day.
I did not see a Media Access Key option, it is very simplistic, almost refeshing to use.

And yes, #3 say's "Acount in good standing"... or at least it was the last time it phoned home.

My whole point of starting this thread was to explore possibilities before calling TiVo. Im not super electronic fix it guy or pretend to know what im doing programer dude. I can swap plug and play stuff in my computers or work any magic you want with Home Theater/Stereo/reciever/ amplifier equipment and or rebuild your transmission in your car but thats about it.
I'm just trying to figure a way to do an Elite on the cheap.

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 03-31-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
The oldest recording is may of 04, i do not have a spare drive other than the stock drives from my TiVo HD and Premiere that im haning onto for a rainy day.
I did not see a Media Access Key option, it is very simplistic, almost refeshing to use.

And yes, #3 say's "Acount in good standing"... or at least it was the last time it phoned home.

My whole point of starting this thread was to explore possibilities before calling TiVo. Im not super electronic fix it guy or pretend to know what im doing programer dude. I can swap plug and play stuff in my computers or work any magic you want with Home Theater/Stereo/reciever/ amplifier equipment and or rebuild your transmission in your car but thats about it.

Even if the former boss was still paying the $6.95 per month while this thing sat unused for the last 8 years, he would be the only person on the planet with any sort of chance of moving that rate to another TiVo.

Anybody else would be considered a new user, and charged $12.95 per month, or $9.95 if they already had a unit that qualified them for MSD.

Instead of letting this unit contact the TiVo servers before you clone the hard drive, call TiVo Customer Service, or, to me, even easier, go online and use the support live chat option.

Have a text file already written up that you can copy-paste with your name, address, and phone number associated with your TiVo account, and say you're considering buying a used TiVo and wanted to check the account status, and give them that S2's TiVo Service Number (sticker on back by power cord)

Ask them when the account was opened and when it was closed, if it was.

Don't bother asking in whose name the account is, they don't give that info out.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
shwru980r

Quote:
Is the lady that sold it to you going to let her former boss know that she sold it so he can cancel the subscription?

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
The oldest recording is may of 04, i do not have a spare drive other than the stock drives from my TiVo HD and Premiere that im haning onto for a rainy day.

Wait a minute, how old is the newest recording?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Wait a minute, how old is the newest recording?
The newest recording is May of 04.

@ shwru980r...i have no idea if the lady let her former boss know she no longer has the S2. I dont know the lady, it was a yard sale and I wanted the remote, the lady told me the service was $6.95 a month and as far as she knew was still being paid, she did not use the TiVo.
I have been a TiVo customer a long time, Directv when they first came out with a TiVo unit and was hooked. I now use FiOS but cant stand their equipment so i use TiVo(s). I know TiVo at times will wheel and deal, many times it all depends on who you get on the phone. I was just wondering the possibilities of getting its $6.95 rate, if it really has one, on something i already own or if the TiVo Gods were smiling some kinda deal on an Elite. Doesnt sound like there is one to be had from this thread..but i havnt talked to TiVo yet myself.
At the very least i have a 4th remote and maybe something i can learn from with tinkering with it up to the point i eventually and undoubtably kill it. Like i said earlier, Im not electronic fix it guy.
Whether the yard sale lady told her former boss she got rid of the TiVo is not my concern, 1. I'm not using it at this time and 2. Unless it was my daughter and maybe even then i would not give a TiVo to someone still under my credit card. Its up to its original owner to manage his credit cards and choose his friends carefully. I would have no way of contacting the guy who owned it before the lady i bought if from or even finding out who it is although these thoughts have crossed my mind. I guess when and if i call TiVo they can contact the original owner if they want. TiVo being TiVo I bet they wouldnt unless i add it to my account and at this time and from the input from this thread i see no reason to do so. For all i know the lady was full of herself, it was after all a $3 TiVo.

hmmm, i seem to remember a thread where a guy fram Canada was traveling south and was looking for a S2, maybe i can find him and sell it to him for $20 minus a remote.

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 03-31-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:

@ shwru980r...i have no idea if the lady let her former boss know she no longer has the S2. I dont know the lady, it was a yard sale and I wanted the remote, the lady told me the service was $6.95 a month and as far as she knew was still being paid, she did not use the TiVo.
I have been a TiVo customer a long time, Directv when they first came out with a TiVo unit and was hooked. I now use FiOS but cant stand their equipment so i use TiVo(s). I know TiVo at times will wheel and deal, many times it all depends on who you get on the phone. I was just wondering the possibilities of getting its $6.95 rate, if it really has one, on something i already own or if the TiVo Gods were smiling some kinda deal on an Elite. Doesnt sound like there is one to be had from this thread..but i havnt talked to TiVo yet myself.
At the very least i have a 4th remote and maybe something i can learn from with tinkering with it up to the point i eventually and undoubtably kill it. Like i said earlier, Im not electronic fix it guy.
Whether the yard sale lady told her former boss she got rid of the TiVo is not my concern, 1. I'm not using it at this time and 2. Unless it was my daughter and maybe even then i would not give a TiVo to someone still under my credit card. Its up to its original owner to manage his credit cards and choose his friends carefully. I would have no way of contacting the guy who owned it before the lady i bought if from or even finding out who it is although these thoughts have crossed my mind. I guess when and if i call TiVo they can contact the original owner if they want. TiVo being TiVo I bet they wouldnt unless i add it to my account and at this time and from the input from this thread i see no reason to do so. For all i know the lady was full of herself, it was after all a $3 TiVo.
Go ahead and run the TSN past TiVo to see what the account status really is to satisfy our curiousity.

I've got a strong suspicion that subscription hasn't been paid in several years.

Clone the drive before you let it contact the mothership.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I know TiVo at times will wheel and deal, many times it all depends on who you get on the phone. I was just wondering the possibilities of getting its $6.95 rate, if it really has one, on something i already own or if the TiVo Gods were smiling some kinda deal on an Elite.
Baby steps. I could see the possibility (if you get the right CSR) of you transferring ownership of that S2 to your account and getting to keep its $6.95 rate (if it actually has one). If TiVo doesn't want to work with you, you could just ask
Quote:
"Well, what would be better? Me paying $6.95 /mo on this S2 or nothing at all?"
and see what they say.

Then, IF you get to keep the rate, you can wait and hope there will be a special offer to upgrade in the future. At this time, I doubt TiVo would make any "deals" involving the Elite.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Clone the drive before you let it contact the mothership.
Definitely do this.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
. At this time, I doubt TiVo would make any "deals" involving the Elite.
The thing that got my hopes up, is I thought read here in some thread that someone got to tranfer a $6.95 rate to an Elite. I could be mistaken and perhaps it was to a Premiere. $6.95 on my Premiere would be good too but it works out to $8.25 a month for me as is so i wont jump through hoops or add a TiVo to my account I wont use to get it.

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Definitely do this.
I sent unitron a pm regarding that. He reads like he knows what he's typing I on the other hand do so only through personal experiences and like i said, I'm not a programmer. I wish I knew and or were confident making my own drives, it may have saved me some money..money is always a concern..the 2TB drives i have in my TiVo's were purchased from DVR_DUDE because they come plug and play, fire and forget. That i can handle, writing any code, changing code delving in to command lines i can do with hand holding guidence, at least i have in the past when a computer takes a dump but a man has to know his limitations. I have many!

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
I sent unitron a pm regarding that. He reads like he knows what he's typing I on the other hand do so only through personal experiences and like i said, I'm not a programmer. I wish I knew and or were confident making my own drives, it may have saved me some money..money is always a concern..the 2TB drives i have in my TiVo's were purchased from DVR_DUDE because they come plug and play, fire and forget. That i can handle, writing any code, changing code delving in to command lines i can do with hand holding guidence, at least i have in the past when a computer takes a dump but a man has to know his limitations. I have many!
Do you have a PC with at least one PATA/IDE header?

That's that 40 pin thing you plug the ribbon cable onto for pre-SATA drives?

Can you burn a bootable cd from an .iso image?

Got any spare hard drives lying around?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
unitron

Oh, and if you were to go through my posting history here and a couple of other places for the last 6 years you'd see I learned a lot of this through the kindness of others and through trial and error.

Lots and lots of error.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
The thing that got my hopes up, is I thought read here in some thread that someone got to tranfer a $6.95 rate to an Elite. I could be mistaken and perhaps it was to a Premiere.
They won't put $6.95 on an Elite, only a regular Premiere, and only then with an appropriate amount of whining.

But even then, you don't have a $6.95 account, the ex-boss does, unlike lifetime that moves with the box, he has $6.95 as a perk because of his other purchases, he can move it between boxes not you.

I just don't see this as A: viable, B: appropriate, heck I'd even put this in a "is this stealing" thread since what you're asking is to have account items moved.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
They won't put $6.95 on an Elite, only a regular Premiere, and only then with an appropriate amount of whining.

But even then, you don't have a $6.95 account, the ex-boss does, unlike lifetime that moves with the box, he has $6.95 as a perk because of his other purchases, he can move it between boxes not you.

I just don't see this as A: viable, B: appropriate, heck I'd even put this in a "is this stealing" thread since what you're asking is to have account items moved.
I think he'd have to have a much better understanding of how TiVo does things for his intent to be classed as "stealing", at which point he'd see that what he has in mind isn't going to happen the way he had gotten confused into thinking it might.

And with TiVo practically running a "Pricing Plan of the Month" club, confusion is easy to come by.

Perhaps you've been TiVo'ing long enough to remember, was there ever a time when the non-MSD monthly rate was $6.95?

And have you seen the thread with the guy with the S2 DT he says started out at $16.95 per month back in 2007?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
The thing that got my hopes up, is I thought read here in some thread that someone got to tranfer a $6.95 rate to an Elite. I could be mistaken and perhaps it was to a Premiere.
I remember something along those lines, and I think it was a regular Premiere.
Also IIRC, in order to get that $6.95 rate transferred to the Premiere, that person had to pay full price for the Premiere hardware ($199 at the time).

F*CK CANCER!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I remember something along those lines, and I think it was a regular Premiere.
Also IIRC, in order to get that $6.95 rate transferred to the Premiere, that person had to pay full price for the Premiere hardware ($199 at the time).
I have an S2 with $6.95 and trust me I tried every way I could to get it on to the Elite before buying lifetime, but they were very clear that $6.95 was never supposed to go on Premiere's, but they let it slide a few times and it became a quiet exception if you whined, but TPTB made it very clear NO Elite's were ever going to get this exception, and I believe that's still the case.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I think he'd have to have a much better understanding of how TiVo does things for his intent to be classed as "stealing", at which point he'd see that what he has in mind isn't going to happen the way he had gotten confused into thinking it might.
I agree, I think the OP doesn't really understand that while Lifetime goes with the box always, the other pricing plans are attached to your account not the box.

Getting Lifetime in a yard sale Tivo is clearly the Holy Grail, a "comp'd for life" Tivo is the next best thing, but a Tivo someone else pays the bill for? that's not right since the person paying is still paying monthly.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
petew

I believe Tivo consider a lifetime unit "dead" if it doesn't phone home for 6 months. I wonder if Tivo also have some action they take for a month to month subscription if the unit has been inactive for 6 months. Perhaps the monthly has long since been cancelled.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Len McRiddles

speculation, get the facts
Len McRiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
shwru980r

Quote:

I suspect that once the woman was no longer employed by the boss that gave her the Tivo, the subscription was cancelled.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #26
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I do understand Lifetime goes with the box. I just didnt know about a sub'd box and the plans on them.
As for it being insinuated i am some sort of thief, if you knew me you would understand how foolish that sounds.
I bought a $3 S2 for its remote, the lady said take the whole damn thing i dont use it so i did. If the story she told me is true the box may have a $6.95 sub on it. I dont wish to use the S2 and was wondring if there was a way that since it had or has a $6.95 sub on it if i could get it on a newer TiVo, preferably the Elite. So if anything i did not fully understand how monthly subs work but i do know this. From reading this board and my own experiences dealing with TiVo it all depends on who ya talk to. TiVo many times does what TiVo wants, granted with some regularity but not consistancy. Therefore its not far fetched for me to wonder what option or experiences others have had.
If I were using the TiVo knowing it still has a sub and someone else was paying for it that might be stealing, or was it up to the person it was given to to let her former boss know she sold the TiVo. But I'm not using it, just wondering how to use it to my advantage if thats even possible.
I find the insinuation of being a thief insulting. Tomorrow or Monday i will call TiVo and see whats up with the S2's subscription.
Even if offered i will not be adding it to my account if there is not way of using a $6.95 sub to my advantage in the very near future, the whole reason i started the thread. I have no need for an old S2 unless it can be used for parts.
Still, no one has told me why is it a good thing to clone the drive in it?

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 04-01-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I was not inferring you were a thief, but I was suggesting that trying to do this is a solid gray area to be discussed very much UNLIKE the Lifetime scenario which is cut and dry.

The $6.95 plan is not yours in the same way Lifetime is when you buy the box.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Ok, I just got off the phone with TiVo. Apparently the lady i got the S2 from was mistaken about its service. It was NOT sub'd at $6.95 it was sub'd at $12.95 and was still active even though it had not phoned home in a very long time.
I informed TiVo that i now own the yard sale TiVo and they should stop billing the card the account is assigned to. They made me an offer for lifetime service on it that i declined. I simply have no use for it but reserved adding it in the future and was told that would not be a problem, again probably all depneding on who i talk to. Like i said, TiVo does what TiVo does..sometimes.
The S2 should now show inactive unsubed on my account. It may become a gift to my mother-in-law who still uses an old tube SD-TV. If so I will then add lifetime to it.
So i guess the only advantage it could give me would be putting lifetime on it and trying to sell it at a profit, hard to do with a S2. I'm not going to spend $100 to maybe make $100 from what I'm reading so I am no closer to a TiVo Elite..bummer!

So the grey area, would it have been my bad to use the S2 that was sub'd on someone elses card apparently for YEARS or his bad for being a dumbass and not managing his credit cards more carefully....for YEARS

I choose to think the S2 was a gift that was misunderstood and sold without really knowing how nice a gift it was. It has ended up in the hands of a someone who appreciates how nice it is and how kind a gift it was and any mistakes made have been righted!

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 04-01-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
unitron

Quote:
Ok, I just got off the phone with TiVo. Apparently the lady i got the S2 from was mistaken about its service. It was NOT sub'd at $6.95 it was sub'd at $12.95 and was still active even though it had not phoned home in a very long time.
I informed TiVo that i now own the yard sale TiVo and they should stop billing the card the account is assigned to. They made me an offer for lifetime service on it that i declined. I simply have no use for it but reserved adding it in the future and was told that would not be a problem, again probably all depneding pn who i talk to. Like i said, TiVo does what TiVo does..sometimes.
The S2 now should now show inactive unsubed on my account. It may become a gift to my mother-in-law who still uses an old tube SD-TV. It has still not phoned home nor will it.
So i guess the only advantage it could give me would be putting lifetime on it and trying to sell it at a profit, hard to do with a S2 from what I'm reading so I am no closer to a TiVo Elite..bummer!

So the grey area, would it have been my bad to use the S2 that was sub'd on someone elses card apparently for YEARS or his bad for being a dumbass and not managing his credit cards more carefully.

I choose to think the S2 was a gift that was misunderstood and sold without really knowing how nice a gift it was. It has ended up in the hands of a someone who appreciates how nice it is and how kind a gift it was and any mistakes made have been righted!
Her boss has been paying $12.95 per month for a TiVo she hasn't used in 8 years?!?

When they offered lifetime, how much money did they want?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Her boss has been paying $12.95 per month for a TiVo she hasn't used in 8 years?!?

When they offered lifetime, how much money did they want?

According to TiVo, yes.

They offerd me monthly at $9.95, i said no way i have 2 other TiVo's, they immdeiately made the lifetime offer for $99. I still passed. I may give it to my mother-in-law and if so i will take them up on that offer. She is old and the S2 may not be something she can technically deal with. So it just may sit, be used for parts if i ever need them and any will work or if i purchase a larger house become a guest room luxury.

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS