TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
johnnybeltway

Fastest way to transfer shows between Tivo boxes

Hello all,

I have been wondering if it would be faster to transfer shows between my two boxes via an ethernet cable. The other night i tried to transfer a hockey game that I recorded upstairs in the bedroom, to my tivo down stairs over the wifi network. It took more than 2 hours, and it only transferred about half of the game. Would hardwiring them make it go faster? I am willing to buy some cables to hook them to each other if the difference would be worth it.

Thanks,
johnnybeltway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybeltway View Post
Hello all,

I have been wondering if it would be faster to transfer shows between my two boxes via an ethernet cable. The other night i tried to transfer a hockey game that I recorded upstairs in the bedroom, to my tivo down stairs over the wifi network. It took more than 2 hours, and it only transferred about half of the game. Would hardwiring them make it go faster? I am willing to buy some cables to hook them to each other if the difference would be worth it.

Thanks,
Are they both Premiers or earlier models? Premiers transfer significantly faster then the earlier models. To answer your question, a wifi connection "can" slow down the transfer rate.

Just a piece technical decice, you cannot just connect the two with a single cable. You will need a switch between them - or a special patch cable...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Are they both Premiers or earlier models? Premiers transfer significantly faster then the earlier models. To answer your question, a wifi connection "can" slow down the transfer rate.

Just a piece technical decice, you cannot just connect the two with a single cable. You will need a switch between them - or a special patch cable...
You should not connect them directly to each other at all. Connect both to your network via a wired connection. If either one or both are TiVo 2s, you will have to get new wired ethernet adapters.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
magnus
Tivo User

Premiere to Premiere is very fast. Anything else is really slow.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

As has been stated, the primary bottleneck is the Tivo itself - especially the older boxes. The speed you indicate is especially slow, so running ethernet cables from your router to each Tivo would probably help some. Can't connect them to each other directly.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
telcoman
Telcoman

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks,
My wife just received a new Tivo Premiere Elite Series 4 with 4 tuners yesterday. She had roughly 30 one hour shows on her Series 3 that she wanted transferred to the new Tivo prior to taking the series 3 to another location. After the setup of the new box and the transfer of the M Cable Card (Comcast) (very easy no problems) I powered up the series 3, connected an ethernet cable wired to my Linksys Router and began to transfer all her shows. The blue LED on the Premiere Elite was still on indicating transfer when I went to sleep. It was off when I woke up. All the shows transferred so the answer to your question is yes but use a wired ethernet cable to both of your Tivo boxes.

Comcast Central New Jersey Middlesex County
One series 4 Premiere Elite, Three Series 3 Digital HD w M Card, Two Series 2, Slingbox classic,Sony 36" XBR Flat Screen 250 lb Tube w 6 inputs
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You should not connect them directly to each other at all.
Why not?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Why not?
To connect them directly you need a diagnostic patch cable. It is a cat5 cable with the wires terminated a little differently on each end.

Put a router or a switch between the two TiVo's and you are fine with standard patch cables.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
To connect them directly you need a diagnostic patch cable. It is a cat5 cable with the wires terminated a little differently on each end.

Put a router or a switch between the two TiVo's and you are fine with standard patch cables.
Are you talking about a simple ethernet crossover cable or something more involved?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Are you talking about a simple ethernet crossover cable or something more involved?

Yep - that is what I am talking about.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Yep - that is what I am talking about.
Have you actually wired two Tivos together that way? I'd be interested in doing that occasionally if it was viable.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I haven't, although, I have connected two TiVo's with a switch and that worked fine. No reason why a crossover shouldn't work.

I have one laying around - If I have time I will hook it up and see what I get.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

You do not need a crossover cable when connecting two tivos as long as one of them has an ethernet port, so that would be any Tivo starting with the DT and later.

and fwiw, needing a crossover cable is not the same thing as "you should not connect them at all" it's not even similar
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am not sure I understand what you are saying...

Advice to the OP is that a hardwired network connection will give him the best connection for transferring files from one TiVo to another.

The conversation devolved from there discussing how you cannot just take an Ethernet cable and connect two TiVo's together. You cannot - they will not see each other. You need a router or a switch between them.

I suggest that with a crossover cable you could actually connect two TiVo's together. Not that it is necessary or even preferred, just possible.

I am perfectly aware what model TiVo's have Ethernet ports, and I am not sure how it is germain to the conversation.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
jtlytle
Un-Registered User

I have two premiums and two old S2duals.. I use cat6 Ethernet and 10/100/1000 switcher. Took about 5 minutes to transfer 2 hours show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come visit me on my new BLOG! It's called
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jtlytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I am not sure I understand what you are saying...

Advice to the OP is that a hardwired network connection will give him the best connection for transferring files from one TiVo to another.

The conversation devolved from there discussing how you cannot just take an Ethernet cable and connect two TiVo's together. You cannot - they will not see each other. You need a router or a switch between them.

I suggest that with a crossover cable you could actually connect two TiVo's together. Not that it is necessary or even preferred, just possible.

I am perfectly aware what model TiVo's have Ethernet ports, and I am not sure how it is germain to the conversation.
You do not need a crossover cable when connecting two tivos as long as one of them has an ethernet port (vs a S2 with an adapter), so that would be any Tivo starting with the DT and later.

Your confusion probably comes from the fact that you are wrong, but you believe that you are right even after being told otherwise.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
You do not need a crossover cable when connecting two tivos as long as one of them has an ethernet port (vs a S2 with an adapter), so that would be any Tivo starting with the DT and later.

Your confusion probably comes from the fact that you are wrong, but you believe that you are right even after being told otherwise.
So one has to have a real ethernet port and the other can have an ethernet to USB adapter but both cannot have the ethernet to USB adapter (i.e.: two S2's). Can I assume that you have actually successfully done this direct connection? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
So one has to have a real ethernet port and the other can have an ethernet to USB adapter but both cannot have the ethernet to USB adapter (i.e.: two S2's). Can I assume that you have actually successfully done this direct connection? Inquiring minds want to know.
Correct.
&
Correct.

This isn't new information here, it's been discussed many times.

Last edited by scandia101 : 04-14-2012 at 11:19 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #19
lrhorer

Quote:

This is just false. If they are S3 or later TiVos, then they support auto-MDIX, and a straight through cable will work just fine. Most consumer level devices with Ethernet ports made the last 10 years support auto-MDIX.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #20
lpwcomp

I didn't say that you couldn't do it, just that you shouldn't. If you do so, they are no longer connected to the network.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
This is just false. If they are S3 or later TiVos, then they support auto-MDIX, and a straight through cable will work just fine. Most consumer level devices with Ethernet ports made the last 10 years support auto-MDIX.
if they are S2DT or later
Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #22
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I didn't say that you couldn't do it, just that you shouldn't. If you do so, they are no longer connected to the network.
What you said was that it shouldn't be done at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp
You should not connect them directly to each other at all.
If someone wants to transfer some recordings and speed up the process there's no reason not to make a direct connection.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
What you said was that it shouldn't be done at all.
No, I said "You shouldn't do it", the you in this case referring to the OP. And I still say that. I didn't say or imply that there was any risk of damage, nor that it should never be done. It would just be stupid, unless you were doing it as a one time thing in order to transfer a bunch of stuff from one TiVo to another or you have no network, neither of which applies here,.

Quote:
If someone wants to transfer some recordings and speed up the process there's no reason not to make a direct connection.
Nonsense. If you connect both of them to the network via a wired connection, you will have just as fast a P2P connection w/o losing network connectivity. This is not a one time transfer of a bunch of shows, he wants to speed up transfers in general.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #24
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
No, I said "You shouldn't do it", the you in this case referring to the OP.
Why lie? it's right there for everyone to see and I quoted you saying it, twice.
Quote:
And I still say that. I didn't say or imply that there was any risk of damage, nor that it should never be done. It would just be stupid, unless you were doing it as a one time thing in order to transfer a bunch of stuff from one TiVo to another or you have no network, neither of which applies here,.

Nonsense. If you connect both of them to the network via a wired connection, you will have just as fast a P2P connection w/o losing network connectivity. This is not a one time transfer of a bunch of shows, he wants to speed up transfers in general.
Not all advice and information in these discussions on internet forums is specific to the person who initially asked. Other interested people also read and learn from the advice and information given.

In my experience, a direct connection results in transfer rates that are almost 20% faster.

ETA
that should say "rates that can be almost 20% faster."

Last edited by scandia101 : 04-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
lrhorer

Quote:
In my experience, a direct connection results in transfer rates that are almost 20% faster.
A proper connection though a good switch with a non-blocking switch matrix will not produce transfers any slower than a direct connection.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
It makes sense that a USB Ethernet to Ethernet connection would work (although I still do not read that in the post), but this surprises me.

I am by far a CE expert so I assume you are correct but it goes against anything I have ever done. Maybe I will give it a try later on.

Good info - guess I need to do a little reading.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #27
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101
I have nothing to add other than, for some reason, this sentence made me LOL.

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
A proper connection though a good switch with a non-blocking switch matrix will not produce transfers any slower than a direct connection.
Theoretically, sure, but this is the real world where conditions are not perfect. If everything worked like that you wouldn't see any variation in transfer rates, but if you look at your transfer history on a Premiere after each of your transfers, you'll see a lot of variation in the transfer rates.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
It makes sense that a USB Ethernet to Ethernet connection would work (although I still do not read that in the post),
???
If you can connect two tivos directlly w/o a crossover cable as long as one of them has an ethernet port, then the other one wouldn't have to have an ethernet port, which leaves it with having an adapter. What else do you think you'd connect the other end of the cable to?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #30
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am just not sure you and I are talking about the same thing - and if we are I am not following you.

My origional assumption was that both devices had Ethernet ports - say Premier to Premier. Taking a normal patch cable and connecting the two together - I said the connection would fail as it does with computers.

Irhorer indicated that this is no longer true with Auto-MDIX switching for CE devices and assuming he is correct... I am wrong.

You are throwing in a USB Ethernet connection into the mix... Does that make a difference? Well, with the Auto-MDIX switching the conversation is mute as far as I am concerned.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)