TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
johnnybeltway
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Fastest way to transfer shows between Tivo boxes

Hello all,

I have been wondering if it would be faster to transfer shows between my two boxes via an ethernet cable. The other night i tried to transfer a hockey game that I recorded upstairs in the bedroom, to my tivo down stairs over the wifi network. It took more than 2 hours, and it only transferred about half of the game. Would hardwiring them make it go faster? I am willing to buy some cables to hook them to each other if the difference would be worth it.

Thanks,
johnnybeltway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybeltway View Post
Hello all,

I have been wondering if it would be faster to transfer shows between my two boxes via an ethernet cable. The other night i tried to transfer a hockey game that I recorded upstairs in the bedroom, to my tivo down stairs over the wifi network. It took more than 2 hours, and it only transferred about half of the game. Would hardwiring them make it go faster? I am willing to buy some cables to hook them to each other if the difference would be worth it.

Thanks,
Are they both Premiers or earlier models? Premiers transfer significantly faster then the earlier models. To answer your question, a wifi connection "can" slow down the transfer rate.

Just a piece technical decice, you cannot just connect the two with a single cable. You will need a switch between them - or a special patch cable...
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybeltway View Post
Hello all,

I have been wondering if it would be faster to transfer shows between my two boxes via an ethernet cable. The other night i tried to transfer a hockey game that I recorded upstairs in the bedroom, to my tivo down stairs over the wifi network. It took more than 2 hours, and it only transferred about half of the game. Would hardwiring them make it go faster? I am willing to buy some cables to hook them to each other if the difference would be worth it.

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Are they both Premiers or earlier models? Premiers transfer significantly faster then the earlier models. To answer your question, a wifi connection "can" slow down the transfer rate.

Just a piece technical decice, you cannot just connect the two with a single cable. You will need a switch between them - or a special patch cable...
You should not connect them directly to each other at all. Connect both to your network via a wired connection. If either one or both are TiVo 2s, you will have to get new wired ethernet adapters.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
magnus
Tivo User
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,470
Premiere to Premiere is very fast. Anything else is really slow.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,760
As has been stated, the primary bottleneck is the Tivo itself - especially the older boxes. The speed you indicate is especially slow, so running ethernet cables from your router to each Tivo would probably help some. Can't connect them to each other directly.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
telcoman
Telcoman
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybeltway View Post
Hello all,

I have been wondering if it would be faster to transfer shows between my two boxes via an ethernet cable. The other night i tried to transfer a hockey game that I recorded upstairs in the bedroom, to my tivo down stairs over the wifi network. It took more than 2 hours, and it only transferred about half of the game. Would hardwiring them make it go faster? I am willing to buy some cables to hook them to each other if the difference would be worth it.

Thanks,
My wife just received a new Tivo Premiere Elite Series 4 with 4 tuners yesterday. She had roughly 30 one hour shows on her Series 3 that she wanted transferred to the new Tivo prior to taking the series 3 to another location. After the setup of the new box and the transfer of the M Cable Card (Comcast) (very easy no problems) I powered up the series 3, connected an ethernet cable wired to my Linksys Router and began to transfer all her shows. The blue LED on the Premiere Elite was still on indicating transfer when I went to sleep. It was off when I woke up. All the shows transferred so the answer to your question is yes but use a wired ethernet cable to both of your Tivo boxes.
__________________
Telcoman

Comcast Central New Jersey Middlesex County
One series 4 Premiere Elite, Three Series 3 Digital HD w M Card, Two Series 2, Slingbox classic,Sony 36" XBR Flat Screen 250 lb Tube w 6 inputs
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You should not connect them directly to each other at all.
Why not?
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Why not?
To connect them directly you need a diagnostic patch cable. It is a cat5 cable with the wires terminated a little differently on each end.

Put a router or a switch between the two TiVo's and you are fine with standard patch cables.
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
To connect them directly you need a diagnostic patch cable. It is a cat5 cable with the wires terminated a little differently on each end.

Put a router or a switch between the two TiVo's and you are fine with standard patch cables.
Are you talking about a simple ethernet crossover cable or something more involved?
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Are you talking about a simple ethernet crossover cable or something more involved?

Yep - that is what I am talking about.
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Yep - that is what I am talking about.
Have you actually wired two Tivos together that way? I'd be interested in doing that occasionally if it was viable.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,871
I haven't, although, I have connected two TiVo's with a switch and that worked fine. No reason why a crossover shouldn't work.

I have one laying around - If I have time I will hook it up and see what I get.
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
To connect them directly you need a diagnostic patch cable. It is a cat5 cable with the wires terminated a little differently on each end.

Put a router or a switch between the two TiVo's and you are fine with standard patch cables.
You do not need a crossover cable when connecting two tivos as long as one of them has an ethernet port, so that would be any Tivo starting with the DT and later.

and fwiw, needing a crossover cable is not the same thing as "you should not connect them at all" it's not even similar
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,871
I am not sure I understand what you are saying...

Advice to the OP is that a hardwired network connection will give him the best connection for transferring files from one TiVo to another.

The conversation devolved from there discussing how you cannot just take an Ethernet cable and connect two TiVo's together. You cannot - they will not see each other. You need a router or a switch between them.

I suggest that with a crossover cable you could actually connect two TiVo's together. Not that it is necessary or even preferred, just possible.

I am perfectly aware what model TiVo's have Ethernet ports, and I am not sure how it is germain to the conversation.
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
jtlytle
Un-Registered User
 
jtlytle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodward, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,747
I have two premiums and two old S2duals.. I use cat6 Ethernet and 10/100/1000 switcher. Took about 5 minutes to transfer 2 hours show.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come visit me on my new BLOG! It's called
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
jtlytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I am not sure I understand what you are saying...

Advice to the OP is that a hardwired network connection will give him the best connection for transferring files from one TiVo to another.

The conversation devolved from there discussing how you cannot just take an Ethernet cable and connect two TiVo's together. You cannot - they will not see each other. You need a router or a switch between them.

I suggest that with a crossover cable you could actually connect two TiVo's together. Not that it is necessary or even preferred, just possible.

I am perfectly aware what model TiVo's have Ethernet ports, and I am not sure how it is germain to the conversation.
You do not need a crossover cable when connecting two tivos as long as one of them has an ethernet port (vs a S2 with an adapter), so that would be any Tivo starting with the DT and later.

Your confusion probably comes from the fact that you are wrong, but you believe that you are right even after being told otherwise.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
You do not need a crossover cable when connecting two tivos as long as one of them has an ethernet port (vs a S2 with an adapter), so that would be any Tivo starting with the DT and later.

Your confusion probably comes from the fact that you are wrong, but you believe that you are right even after being told otherwise.
So one has to have a real ethernet port and the other can have an ethernet to USB adapter but both cannot have the ethernet to USB adapter (i.e.: two S2's). Can I assume that you have actually successfully done this direct connection? Inquiring minds want to know.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
So one has to have a real ethernet port and the other can have an ethernet to USB adapter but both cannot have the ethernet to USB adapter (i.e.: two S2's). Can I assume that you have actually successfully done this direct connection? Inquiring minds want to know.
Correct.
&
Correct.

This isn't new information here, it's been discussed many times.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.

Last edited by scandia101 : 04-14-2012 at 11:19 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #19
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
To connect them directly you need a diagnostic patch cable. It is a cat5 cable with the wires terminated a little differently on each end.

Put a router or a switch between the two TiVo's and you are fine with standard patch cables.
This is just false. If they are S3 or later TiVos, then they support auto-MDIX, and a straight through cable will work just fine. Most consumer level devices with Ethernet ports made the last 10 years support auto-MDIX.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #20
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,159
I didn't say that you couldn't do it, just that you shouldn't. If you do so, they are no longer connected to the network.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
This is just false. If they are S3 or later TiVos, then they support auto-MDIX, and a straight through cable will work just fine. Most consumer level devices with Ethernet ports made the last 10 years support auto-MDIX.
if they are S2DT or later
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #22
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I didn't say that you couldn't do it, just that you shouldn't. If you do so, they are no longer connected to the network.
What you said was that it shouldn't be done at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp
You should not connect them directly to each other at all.
If someone wants to transfer some recordings and speed up the process there's no reason not to make a direct connection.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #23
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
What you said was that it shouldn't be done at all.
No, I said "You shouldn't do it", the you in this case referring to the OP. And I still say that. I didn't say or imply that there was any risk of damage, nor that it should never be done. It would just be stupid, unless you were doing it as a one time thing in order to transfer a bunch of stuff from one TiVo to another or you have no network, neither of which applies here,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
If someone wants to transfer some recordings and speed up the process there's no reason not to make a direct connection.
Nonsense. If you connect both of them to the network via a wired connection, you will have just as fast a P2P connection w/o losing network connectivity. This is not a one time transfer of a bunch of shows, he wants to speed up transfers in general.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #24
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
No, I said "You shouldn't do it", the you in this case referring to the OP.
Why lie? it's right there for everyone to see and I quoted you saying it, twice.
Quote:
And I still say that. I didn't say or imply that there was any risk of damage, nor that it should never be done. It would just be stupid, unless you were doing it as a one time thing in order to transfer a bunch of stuff from one TiVo to another or you have no network, neither of which applies here,.

Nonsense. If you connect both of them to the network via a wired connection, you will have just as fast a P2P connection w/o losing network connectivity. This is not a one time transfer of a bunch of shows, he wants to speed up transfers in general.
Not all advice and information in these discussions on internet forums is specific to the person who initially asked. Other interested people also read and learn from the advice and information given.

In my experience, a direct connection results in transfer rates that are almost 20% faster.

ETA
that should say "rates that can be almost 20% faster."
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.

Last edited by scandia101 : 04-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
In my experience, a direct connection results in transfer rates that are almost 20% faster.
A proper connection though a good switch with a non-blocking switch matrix will not produce transfers any slower than a direct connection.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
This is just false. If they are S3 or later TiVos, then they support auto-MDIX, and a straight through cable will work just fine. Most consumer level devices with Ethernet ports made the last 10 years support auto-MDIX.
It makes sense that a USB Ethernet to Ethernet connection would work (although I still do not read that in the post), but this surprises me.

I am by far a CE expert so I assume you are correct but it goes against anything I have ever done. Maybe I will give it a try later on.

Good info - guess I need to do a little reading.
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #27
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?
 
ScottE22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101
Your confusion probably comes from the fact that you are wrong, but you believe that you are right even after being told otherwise.
I have nothing to add other than, for some reason, this sentence made me LOL.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
A proper connection though a good switch with a non-blocking switch matrix will not produce transfers any slower than a direct connection.
Theoretically, sure, but this is the real world where conditions are not perfect. If everything worked like that you wouldn't see any variation in transfer rates, but if you look at your transfer history on a Premiere after each of your transfers, you'll see a lot of variation in the transfer rates.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
It makes sense that a USB Ethernet to Ethernet connection would work (although I still do not read that in the post),
???
If you can connect two tivos directlly w/o a crossover cable as long as one of them has an ethernet port, then the other one wouldn't have to have an ethernet port, which leaves it with having an adapter. What else do you think you'd connect the other end of the cable to?
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #30
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,871
I am just not sure you and I are talking about the same thing - and if we are I am not following you.

My origional assumption was that both devices had Ethernet ports - say Premier to Premier. Taking a normal patch cable and connecting the two together - I said the connection would fail as it does with computers.

Irhorer indicated that this is no longer true with Auto-MDIX switching for CE devices and assuming he is correct... I am wrong.

You are throwing in a USB Ethernet connection into the mix... Does that make a difference? Well, with the Auto-MDIX switching the conversation is mute as far as I am concerned.
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |