TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #61
aaronwt
HD Addict

Between my TiVos, several streaming services and the multitude of BD ISOs on my servers I can always find something to watch. It doesn't take long to find the content if it's aggregated well. That is why I like the Boxee Box interface. I can quickly go through my BD isos
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-26-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Spelling..doH!! stupid smart phone
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #62
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
...And I Find that even with all this choice I have between my 1.5TB hard drive full of shows, my movies on disc and on the computer, live cabletv, and Netflix I often can't find anything I am in the mood for.
Problem is that even with 5TB of content and growing, my family is often not willing to watch something we KNOW is good but may have not seen in some time, but would rather take a chance on something new (we do look at ratings on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, etc. ) that may not turn out to be our cup o' tea.

As the one in the family that archives this stuff (a lot of it automated thanks to kmttg <shameless plug alert>), it is frustrating to see sometimes.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by larrs : 04-26-2012 at 04:58 PM.
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #63
sathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
Problem is that even with 5TB of content and growing, my family is often not willing to watch something we KNOW is good but may have not seen in some time, but would rather take a chance on something new (we do look at ratings on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, etc. ) that may not turn out to be our cup o' tea.

As the one in the family that archives this stuff (a lot of it automated thanks to kmttg <shameless plug alert>), it is frustrating to see sometimes.
Hang in there... there's always hope.

A few days ago my (15 yo) daughter told me how "awesome" Breakfast at Tiffany's was. She had just finished watching it off our server and was all choked up at the final scene. She actually said 'why don't they make movies like that anymore?'..
sathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #64
lrhorer

Quote:
I'm rather the opposite. I have to be fairly bored before I care to risk wasting my time on something I will ultimately regret watching when I have a ton of items I know for a fact are really great sitting there waiting for me.

Of course, I am not so adverse to risk a few minutes just to dip my toe in the water, as it were, so fairly frequently I will watch a few minutes of an unknown recorded piece and then chunk it.

By comparison, I have only walked out of a film in a commercial theater three times in my life, that I recall.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #65
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathead View Post
Hang in there... there's always hope.

A few days ago my (15 yo) daughter told me how "awesome" Breakfast at Tiffany's was. She had just finished watching it off our server and was all choked up at the final scene. She actually said 'why don't they make movies like that anymore?'..
Really? A 15 year old? That is amazing. I was shocked the other evening when my best friend brought his wife and 20 year old daughter over for movie night, and she was the one who actully chose How to Steal a Million to watch and loved it.

OTOH, maybe there is just something about Audrey Hepburn.

I take that back. There is no "maybe" about it.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #66
Shogun82

I also stopped archiving, except of coarse my favorites. Companies that stream media have made it pointless for me to hoard tons of stuff and buying drive after drive for storage.
Shogun82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #67
trip1eX

Quote:

AT least 75% of what I watch are shows I haven't seen before.

Oh and great old shows that I have seen aren't necessarily homeruns for me the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time around.

STars WArs I have seen many times. Love it of course. But sometimes when I rewatch it or start to rewatch it I find myself bored. And then don't get through it.

And then sometimes nostalgia makes you think an old favorite movie was much better than it actually was. Some of them don't hold up as much as others in other words.

I find there is a lot of great content that I haven't seen. The problem is finding it. There are lots of great foreign flicks. And great lesser known movies. And then on top of it you have the history of American cinema. Plus good tv series as well.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #68
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
This has always been the case with TV shows. I've had this happen with a multitude of shows in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's. It's always frustrating when it happens, but it is nothing new.
Interesting view. I myself accept a cliffhanger ending that was produced because they didn't know if the show would be renewed. I just accept it as I do the suspension of disbelief required for all video entertainment.

However, there are a lot of folks like you. Google the UK show Psychoville and read about the absolute vitriol otherwise supportive fans had to say about the Series 1 ending (somewhat of a cliff hanger). I just accepted the producers were giving themselves some place to go IF they got to make a Series 2, but a lot were furious and there is even a mention of a "pathetic ending" in the first episode of Series 2 that was a reference to the backlash from fans about the final episode of Series 1.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #69
Hcour

Quote:

Your post apparently struck a cord on this forum! I know exactly what you mean, I have over 800 movies archived and only save the ones I like enough for repeated viewings. I have a system for re-watching movies: I wait a minimum of 6 months before re-watching something once and at least two years before re-watching it twice. This way they remain somewhat fresh as far as the details of the story, even if I do know how it all turns out. I have a great program on my computer called Movie Collector, which has all the usual movie data, of course, but also allows me to save and sort by the viewed date and number of viewings. So I just sort on that criteria and thus always have a list of great movies from which to choose.

The problem with this system is just what you point out - Do I want to re-watch something I know I'll enjoy or take a risk and watch something new, which may or may not be a waste of my precious time? Again, I have a system: I watch at least 3 new movies a week, which leaves time for another 3 or so from my archive. I try to give a new movie a chance, at least 30 minutes, before I give up on it. Of course some are so bad you can just dispose of them after a few minutes, but with others you're curious where they are going and want to see how they turn out, so you just have to stick it out to the end. And some movies I think are good for one viewing but have no desire to re-watch.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #70
Dan203
Super Moderator

I rarely watch anything more then once. My wife buys DVDs every now and then, but it's pretty rare these days. I only own a dozen or so DVDs/BDs and most of them were gifts. I have a BlockBuster 2 at a time plan but the two discs I have now have been sitting on the table for over a month. I also have dozens of movies recorded on my TiVo that I haven't gotten around to watching. I just can't seem to find the time to watch full length movies any more.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #71
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I rarely watch anything more then once. My wife buys DVDs every now and then, but it's pretty rare these days. I only own a dozen or so DVDs/BDs and most of them were gifts. I have a BlockBuster 2 at a time plan but the two discs I have now have been sitting on the table for over a month. I also have dozens of movies recorded on my TiVo that I haven't gotten around to watching. I just can't seem to find the time to watch full length movies any more.

Dan
That's really interesting in that my wife and I had the same discussion last night and I decided to cancel the discs from Blockbuster for that very reason. We also cannot seem to watch a movie any more except in pieces over two or three nights right before bedtime. because of that and the fact that there is a lot more compelling TV these days, we have gravitated towards TV shows of an hour- and some of those are more difficult (Game of Thrones, The Tudors, True Blood, etc.) due to them being 50 mins or so without commercials.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 05-09-2012 at 06:29 AM.
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #72
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah I'm thinking about canceling too. I switched from Netflix to Blockbuster because Netflix started imposing that wait on new releases and that pissed me off. Plus I thought it was cool that BB did games. However, like I said, I've had the same two DVDs for over a month. It would be cheaper to just rent movies one off from Vudu or Amazon as needed then to pay $15/mo for two DVDs it takes me 6 weeks to watch.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #73
buscuitboy

Exclamation same here

I am pretty much in the same boat. I have a Netflix account for online streaming and Blockbuster Express (1 DVD) account for the DVD AND game feature (for our Wii). When I rent DVDs, they tend to sit longer than needed as well. Therefore, I usually just rent games from them instead.

Redbox is another good option. Just rent it when you decide you'll watch something and its only $1-2 per rental, per night. No fuss, no mess.

As mentioned, Netflix (& Redbox for that matter) both have to wait for a good month for new DVD releases compared to Blockbuster, but that isn't really either of their faults. Rather, it is because Blockbuster was getting KILLED by these two in the market. They were then able to make exclusive deals with most of the movie distributors that allowed them to release titles first and exclusively and for about 30 days before others got it. This was aimed more toward their brick and mortor stores and trying to save them.

However, I think its too later for them though & they are more or less at the end of their existence. Hollywood Video has gone out of business and its probably just a matter of time before Blockbuster follows. People were just tired of paying $6-7 to rent a movie from Blockbuster for a week when all they wanted was one night and could easily get it from Redbox for $1. Easy pickup and easy return at various locations (gas stations, drug stores, grocery, etc.)

Yea, DISH network bought Blockbuster and is trying to save them, but not sure they will ever get back to the popularity they had in the 90s. I think its more or less become an outlet to try and sell more DISH Network subscriptions at this point. I used to have several Blockbuster stores within 5-10 miles of my home. Now the closest one is about 45mins away.

Blockbuster is now trying to get into the online streaming game & they have a service, bit for now its limited to DISH subscribers only so not sure how it will do in the long run. Not sure if they will ever open it up to everyone either. Only will time will tell on all of this.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #74
aaronwt
HD Addict

Now, Blockbuster has to buy many of the titles locally to be able to get them to rent for same day release. Since some of teh studios won't sell them the titles until 4 or 8 weeks after release day.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #75
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggard View Post
There is some kind of hoarding mentality at work when one will never ever be able to watch but a tiny fraction of a 10 TB and growing collection of shows.

I am assuming one isn't stranded on a desert island or anything. And that one continues to be interested in new programming.
It's not about hoarding it's about having a wide range of content available so you are more likely to find something you want to watch for the mood you are in at the moment. I could feel like watching a certain movie at one point in the day, and a few hours later I have no desire to watch it, but want to watch a different kind of movie. By having a wide range of content available from either my Servers or recorded on my TiVos. And then add the streaming services into that mix. I can most likely find something I want to watch for almost any mood I'm in any time of the day. I prefer not to settle for watch something, but to watch what I want when the mood strikes me.

I typically watch content daily from my TiVos, and my servers. As well as Netflix, Amazon, and Xbox Live. LAst night I watched a TV show that had been recorded on a TiVo. I watched a movie disc rental from Blockbuster. I watched a show from amazon streaming. And I also watched another show from Netflix streaming. And yet another TV show from a server. I never know what I will be in the mood to watch.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #76
MikeMar
Go Pats

I have 150+ DVDs, and like 200+ more movies on my NAS. Like aaronwt said, you never know what you are in the mood for, and sometimes I will watch a movie I haven't seen in 10 years.

I'm less so on TV Shows, usually just save comedies as I really have never re-watched a drama (short of The Wire).

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #77
jcthorne

A big part of the reason I maintain a large file server filled with both current and older content to view is that I have never been happy with the streaming model. I can count on the fingers of ONE hand the number of full length tv shows or movies I have ever seen streamed to any screen I have watched without a single glitch, rebuffer, hickup or other problem. I do not want to deal with network diffeculties or put up with network issues when watching a show. If its stored locally it works. Many shows I only store long enough to watch once and then delete. I will admit to a bit of the 'hoarding' mentality but like others here, never know what I will want to watch. Its nice having choices and for me, pure streaming just does not cut it. I have used Amazon unbox from time to time and been happy with the rentals. But that is a download, play, delete model, not pure streaming.

Before you reply with comments about my network not being up to snuff, let me mention that I feel the same way about sat radio service. I HATE glitches in the program stream. Any service that cannot play through while I go under an overpass or down a tree lined street, does not belong in my car.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #78
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggard View Post
There is some kind of hoarding mentality at work when one will never ever be able to watch but a tiny fraction of a 10 TB and growing collection of shows.

I am assuming one isn't stranded on a desert island or anything. And that one continues to be interested in new programming.
What gives? That is a verbatim quote of trip1ex' post from a few days ago:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post9053493
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #79
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Nice catch. I've seen some similar responses of unattributed quotes from low-count posters and assume it is the product of a bot, but for the life of me, I can't figure out the angle of why.
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #80
WizarDru

Quote:
It's not about hoarding it's about having a wide range of content available so you are more likely to find something you want to watch for the mood you are in at the moment.
This.

Last night we watched an episode of Castle from last Halloween, an episode of Young Justice with my son from last Saturday and an episode of Top Shot from two months ago. When I went to the gym, my wife watched an episode of IT Crowd from 2007.

It isn't a race to consume content...it's a desire to have content available when you want it, not when someone wants to present it TO you. My Netflix queue is for when I want to watch something, whether it's an episode of Lillyhammer or 'My Man Godfrey'.
WizarDru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #81
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeh View Post
Nice catch. I've seen some similar responses of unattributed quotes from low-count posters and assume it is the product of a bot, but for the life of me, I can't figure out the angle of why.
They do it to build post counts until they can post spam links. It also lets them get by longer before being spotted.

I am like many here. I don't for the most part rewatch content. There is too much out there I am interested in seeing that I haven't seen.

As far as streaming, I prefer my content locally stored since the trickplay is more responsive. I tend to fast forward through various segments in movies and TV so responsiveness and accuracy is very important. I also like to see what I am skipping rather than how Netflix buffers.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #82
trip1eX

Quote:
It's not about hoarding it's about having a wide range of content available so you are more likely to find something you want to watch for the mood you are in at the moment. I could feel like watching a certain movie at one point in the day, and a few hours later I have no desire to watch it, but want to watch a different kind of movie. By having a wide range of content available from either my Servers or recorded on my TiVos. And then add the streaming services into that mix. I can most likely find something I want to watch for almost any mood I'm in any time of the day. I prefer not to settle for watch something, but to watch what I want when the mood strikes me.

I typically watch content daily from my TiVos, and my servers. As well as Netflix, Amazon, and Xbox Live. LAst night I watched a TV show that had been recorded on a TiVo. I watched a movie disc rental from Blockbuster. I watched a show from amazon streaming. And I also watched another show from Netflix streaming. And yet another TV show from a server. I never know what I will be in the mood to watch.
I have Netflix, cable tv dvr and 1.5 tb of content, Redbox, Amazon on-demand and ITunes at my disposal plus a 1 TB of movies and shows and sometimes I still can't find anything that I'm in the mood for.

I think large collections might have a counter-intuitive nature to them. The larger the collection the more picky you can be about what you're in the mood for. And thus it is all relative.

Less shows, less picky. More shows, more picky. Only difference is you will spend more time finding out that you're actually not in the mood to watch anything the more content you have.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #83
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I have Netflix, cable tv dvr and 1.5 tb of content, Redbox, Amazon on-demand and ITunes at my disposal plus a 1 TB of movies and shows and sometimes I still can't find anything that I'm in the mood for.

I think large collections might have a counter-intuitive nature to them. The larger the collection the more picky you can be about what you're in the mood for. And thus it is all relative.

Less shows, less picky. More shows, more picky. Only difference is you will spend more time finding out that you're actually not in the mood to watch anything the more content you have.
Exactly the Costco example. They found when there were too many choices people just walked out of the store. So they limit the choices within a product to just a couple.

I still question ownership though. How many people really go back and watch something when there is a constant supply of new material.
However if it happens to be on you might then get hooked into watching it again. In many cases that happens to us. I do have about a hundred DVDs. I could pull them out of the drawer but yet if the same movie from my collection is on a channel I might turn to it. Even if I had online storage I think I would behave the same way. Netflix Ondemand is a good example where I rarely watch something I have already seen.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #84
steve614
what ru lookin at?

When DVD players became affordable, I started buying movies that I really liked. That has waned over the years. I probably haven't bought a DVD in 5 years now. Tivo was a big part of that. Being able to save a lot of content made it harder to keep up with movies.

As to the hoarding, at first I was like a kid in a candy store. I was enamoured with the ability to transfer a show to a computer and burn DVDs.
At first I started burning all the shows I liked. I figured I might re-watch someday (at best) or someone I know will want to see it, so I save it.
Now I've calmed down a bit and have become more selective.
Shows that I really like (such as Fringe) get saved to DVD. I have no doubt that someday I will go back and re-watch.
Next there are the shows that I think I'll be interested in (Community and Modern Family), but don't have time to watch. Maybe someday. These get transferred and saved on the computer and will be deleted once I watch them.
Everything else stays on the Tivo. Since it has a 2TB hard drive, it holds quite a lot.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #85
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
They do it to build post counts until they can post spam links. It also lets them get by longer before being spotted.
Ah, of course. Good explanation, thanks.
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #86
stlbluesfan74
Mike

I still collect Bluray movies. Have about 500.

You can't beat the video and audio quality of playing straight off a bluray disc. Plus the price of blurays are very reasonable now, if you are just a little patient. Plus they are nice to have if you ever want to loan to friends or family.
stlbluesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
I still collect Bluray movies. Have about 500.

You can't beat the video and audio quality of playing straight off a bluray disc. Plus the price of blurays are very reasonable now, if you are just a little patient. Plus they are nice to have if you ever want to loan to friends or family.
You can match the quality by playing the BD ISOs from a server. And it's much quicker access to the movies. Especially since I can have it start the movie right away if I want instead of viewing any BD menus.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #88
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
As to the hoarding, at first I was like a kid in a candy store. I was enamoured with the ability to transfer a show to a computer and burn DVDs.
At first I started burning all the shows I liked. I figured I might re-watch someday (at best) or someone I know will want to see it, so I save it.
Now I've calmed down a bit and have become more selective.
Shows that I really like (such as Fringe) get saved to DVD. I have no doubt that someday I will go back and re-watch.
Next there are the shows that I think I'll be interested in (Community and Modern Family), but don't have time to watch. Maybe someday. These get transferred and saved on the computer and will be deleted once I watch them.
Everything else stays on the Tivo. Since it has a 2TB hard drive, it holds quite a lot.
I can relate to that - I burned lots of shows to DVDs for the same reason, but now I rarely watch them-- the quality of downloaded shows is so much better now in HD, and don't have the commercials and graphics on the show.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #89
Samantha Kirk

I still buy Blueray movies. Can't compare the enjoyment of watching Avatar in Blueray than in Tivo.
Samantha Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #90
heatherprotz

These are days of cloud computing. Hence no more storage spaces and protecting your digital data.
heatherprotz is offline   Reply With Quote