TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
Myztic

Ugh but I just purchased a roamio and lifetime 45 days ago

I moved into the U.S. 45 days ago and purchased a 4k Sony tv and a TiVo roamio plus (tivo from Amazon)
I worked out the figures and decided to purchase lifetime I think it was 499?

I'm really disheartened by the new release of bolt...mi paid ALOT and My purchase is fairly new. I do need the 4k features...
I assume I can't get a refund on my lifetime though...

Any words to make me feel better or did I seriously just mess up with my purchase 45 days ago?

Also my one pass does not seem to record shows ! I have it recording soap operas which works well but for example if i try to record greys anatomy or other prime time shows it will either record the wrong episode or not at all (I removed the include streaming versions

Myztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myztic View Post
I do need the 4k features...
I'm sorry you're having buyer's remorse, but nobody really needs 4k. I assume your 4k TV has all the same 4k streaming apps that the Bolt will have, maybe more. Even if it doesn't, it isn't the end of the world to have to watch 1080p.

And your Plus has 2 more tuners than the Bolt has. Those 2 extra tuners can be very nice to have. But if you really wanted, you could sell the Roamio Plus on ebay. You'd probably get around $500 for it, which would more than pay for a new Bolt.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
JBDragon

I have to say it, but there's been rumors of this thing coming soon for a while now. Maybe some research.

On the other hand, 4K is pretty limited. It's streaming only and very little content right now. You're not going to get broadcast TV in 4K anytime soon and the new TIVO can't record 4K anyway, just stream what 4k content there is from Netflix, and Amazon.

Not the ideal solution, but another Box just for 4K Streaming. I think Amazon just released one, but they're more focused on themselves. I have no idea if it'll 4K Netflix or not?!?!

One thing is for sure and this goes for all the TV's. Your 4K TV like a HDTV will display any and ALL content in it's Native Resolution. In your case, everything is shown in 4K. This means anything in lower quality is Upscaled. So you'll get a little bit better of a picture, but you can't create Data that's missing from 1080P and add it to 4K.

I don't think it's really a big deal. I got a new Roamio OTA a couple months ago. Threw in a nice large 3TB HDD into it which was a snap and have been quite happy with it.

There's always going to be something better in the future, but at some point you just have to take the plunge. I have a whole bunch of devices that stream content. From Game Consoles, or Apple TV's, to ROKU's to even a Amazon Fire Stick. It would be nice for a All In One solution, especially with a BOLT.

I still say 4K is more for marketing to get people to buy a new TV since 3D kind of bombed. 4K is what you see going to a Movie Theater and watching on a HUGE SCREEN!!! Unless you sit 1 foot in front of the screen, it's kind of silly. People have a hard time telling the difference from a DVD to a Blu-Ray. 480P from 1080P. Because they have to small of a HDTV for the distance that they are sitting and really can't see that extra detail. The Same goes with 4K. You don't want to get the same correct size of a HDTV, which is generally larger then what many people think, but to go LARGER for the same distance. Otherwise you're wasting your time.

Even streaming 4K, you think you're really streaming 4K? Because you're not even streaming good 1080P content. It's sure not Blu-Ray Quality. That would require a whole lot more bandwidth. So really, you want REAL 4K CONTENT, forget that, and go with buying Ultra Blu-Ray Movies. Which are are larger Blu-Ray Discs that have enough space for a 4K Movie. The current 50 Gig size of a Blu-Ray is not enough. You're not streaming 50 gig's of 1080P. It's shrunk down to around 5 Gig's You do the math. Again good enough for most people. It's really DVD quality.

JBDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #4
Chris Gerhard

If that is the worst thing that happens to you this year, you will have had a hell of a good year. I am not sure you are missing anything 4K by not buying a Bolt, compare what you can do with your 4K display to what the Bolt offers and if there are things you want and you aren't planning on buying a 4K Blu-ray player or a 4K streaming player, sell the Roamio Plus and buy a Bolt. If you want the best possible source for 4K for the home, my guess is it is going to be 4K Blu-ray and next year will be the time to buy it. If streaming is going to be your 4K source, I would expect the upcoming Amazon Fire TV or Roku 4 will be a better player than a Bolt.

From what I have seen, I would not call 4K more for marketing, it offers a real improvement compared to 1080p but it won't be mainstream for some time and there isn't much content now.

Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
jcthorne

While you would take a loss you can likely sell your Roamio for most of what you paid for it including the lifetime service. Then purchase a Bolt if that is what you want to do. Resale values on lifetime units are pretty good.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
jonw747

Quote:
I moved into the U.S. 45 days ago and purchased a 4k Sony tv and a TiVo roamio plus (tivo from Amazon)
Why did you buy the Plus rather than say the Summer Sale Roamio for $300?

I know why I did, and the current Bolt doesn't address those reasons: build quality, support for 6-12TB, 6 tuners, component video outputs, built-in stream, etc.

4K support is nice, but until it's demonstrated that it can record 4K, it's not a big deal to me. Similarly the commercial skip feature is nice, but if it really annoyed me to click the skip button 6x, I could look in to automatically stripping them with kmttg and VideoRedo.

jonw747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
celtic pride

As for greys anatomy make sure your one pass is set for new only on your local ABC channel,check your one pass, i had that happen to me once it would only record from USA network instead of NBC,Make sure it shows abc,Or the next time greys is on press record on your remote and set up a one pass from there while the show is on !

celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw747 View Post
4K support is nice, but until it's demonstrated that it can record 4K, it's not a big deal to me. Similarly the commercial skip feature is nice, but if it really annoyed me to click the skip button 6x, I could look in to automatically stripping them with kmttg and VideoRedo.
TiVo said the other day that the Bolt will record 4K when it comes, but as there is no standard for cable or OTA 4K at this time, so we will not know for some years if 4K Bolt recording will work.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
jonw747

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
TiVo said the other day that the Bolt will record 4K when it comes, but as there is no standard for cable or OTA 4K at this time, so we will not know for some years if 4K Bolt recording will work.
I know, I was the one who posed the question because I wanted to hear how TiVo viewed the subject.

I still wouldn't buy a DVR for 4K recording until I knew for certain I'd be able to use it for that purpose. There's a ton of potential for a box like the Bolt, but only time will tell how much of it will be realized.

jonw747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
hoyalawya

Anything 4K through streaming source and/or cable TV is likely to be highly compressed. You won't be missing much. Save your money and grief for a 4K Blu-Ray player which should be available in a few months.

hoyalawya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #11
Jrr6415sun

Quote:

I'm really disheartened by the new release of bolt...mi paid ALOT and My purchase is fairly new. I do need the 4k features...
I assume I can't get a refund on my lifetime though...

Any words to make me feel better or did I seriously just mess up with my purchase 45 days ago?

Also my one pass does not seem to record shows ! I have it recording soap operas which works well but for example if i try to record greys anatomy or other prime time shows it will either record the wrong episode or not at all (I removed the include streaming versions
not sure why you are so upset. You can make more than $500 selling your lifetime+tivo on ebay, since lifetime is now $600 by itself.

Jrr6415sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #12
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Maybe not as long as everyone thinks: http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/05/r...abit-internet/

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
12/15 - Bolt

Last edited by atmuscarella; 10-05-2015 at 07:38 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #13
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrr6415sun View Post
not sure why you are so upset. You can make more than $500 selling your lifetime+tivo on ebay, since lifetime is now $600 by itself.
It sounds like they paid $500 Lifetime service on top of a likely $340 Amazon purchase of a Roamio Plus, so $840 total -- while eBay sale prices seem to range from around $550-700. They'll take a hit.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #14
mattack

I presume the regular return policy is 30 days?

Does your credit card maybe double that to 60 days? I personally probably wouldn't do this, but if your credit card will let you return things "for any reason", you may be able to take advantage of that.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Does your credit card maybe double that to 60 days? I personally probably wouldn't do this, but if your credit card will let you return things "for any reason", you may be able to take advantage of that.
Similar to someone the other day who was saying they had 45 days to return their BOLT to Best Buy, presumably as a Best Buy Reward Zone Elite Plus member, I'm curious how these extended return windows, beyond 30 days, relate to the TiVo 30-day money back guarantee on TiVo service.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:59 AM   #16
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Similar to someone the other day who was saying they had 45 days to return their BOLT to Best Buy, presumably as a Best Buy Reward Zone Elite Plus member, I'm curious how these extended return windows, beyond 30 days, relate to the TiVo 30-day money back guarantee on TiVo service.
Its come up before. You have to activate a new tivo before it will work and on activation you agree to the 30 day cancellation policy. But since the Bolt comes with a one year service there is no money lost.

Best buy now has an activated used unit to sell at some markdown. They have dealt with marking down customer returns for years but some unknowing customer is going to buy one off the mark down table for $20 off not knowing most of the 1 year subscription is already used up.

Best buy will not be able to sell the returns as new.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #17
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
You should call TiVo support/Sales. They may lend a sympathetic ear if you buy a Bolt.

waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

The return period on TiVo is a solid 30 days, unless you bought it at some retailer that has a longer return window. Some credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty period, but I have never heard of a credit card that will double the return period. You do have 60 days to dispute a credit card charge, but I think trying to dispute a charge because TiVo wouldn't accept a return outside of their return window would (and should) be rejected by the credit card company.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #19
humbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
The return period on TiVo is a solid 30 days, unless you bought it at some retailer that has a longer return window. Some credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty period, but I have never heard of a credit card that will double the return period. You do have 60 days to dispute a credit card charge, but I think trying to dispute a charge because TiVo wouldn't accept a return outside of their return window would (and should) be rejected by the credit card company.
Some Citi cards have a 60-day return guarantee, but only up to $250 per claim:
https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Pr...Guarantee.aspx

humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #20
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
Some Citi cards have a 60-day return guarantee, but only up to $250 per claim:
https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Pr...Guarantee.aspx
Interesting, I did not know that.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #21
ramiss

So you never considered that all of the sales was to clear stock for something new?

Also... Considering all of the compression by cable companies I'm still waiting for property 1080 quality!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ramiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:55 AM   #22
Jrr6415sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Its come up before. You have to activate a new tivo before it will work and on activation you agree to the 30 day cancellation policy. But since the Bolt comes with a one year service there is no money lost.

Best buy now has an activated used unit to sell at some markdown. They have dealt with marking down customer returns for years but some unknowing customer is going to buy one off the mark down table for $20 off not knowing most of the 1 year subscription is already used up.

Best buy will not be able to sell the returns as new.
It's possible the bestbuy returns will be sent back to tivo for them to reactivate or refurbished to sell as new.

Jrr6415sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #23
LoneWolf15
Jedi Pirate Ninja

After looking at the Bolt, I just ordered a Roamio Plus with Lifetime while I still can, before the Bolt replaces much of the Roamio line.

More tuners. An exterior design I like better and stacks properly in my cabinet. A lifetime subscription option that's much less expensive due to special deals. The fact that nobody offers 4k television streams anyway.

To me, introducing the Bolt was Tivo's gift to me, because it allowed me to actually upgrade from my Premier XL without regret. If the Roamio Plus lasts as long as my XL has (and I got mine at release time direct from Tivo), I'll be a very happy camper.

P.S. Interesting that the OP has not posted back in the thread since the first post.

LoneWolf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #24
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf15 View Post
P.S. Interesting that the OP has not posted back in the thread since the first post.
Maybe it was all just too much for them...

Quote:
I moved into the U.S. 45 days ago and purchased a 4k Sony tv and a TiVo roamio plus (tivo from Amazon) I worked out the figures and decided to purchase lifetime I think it was 499?

I'm really disheartened by the new release of bolt...mi paid ALOT and My purchase is fairly new. I do need the 4k features... I assume I can't get a refund on my lifetime though...