TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
ragmopp

Best way to install cable & premiere

I have been a long time Directv customer, and I have a series 2 Directv Tivo. It is now time for me to decide should I stay with D* or move on to cable (in my case Charter) and the Premiere box. I will be contacting both D* and Charter too see about prices/deals.

So this leads me to a couple of questions (I tried searching but probably not using the right search parameters if there is answers out there):

1. If I go with Charter and Premiere what is the proper order in setting everything up. Should I just get the cable and their dvr, and then hook up the Premiere as it apparently takes awhile for the Premiere to be set up enough b4 the cable card is installed?

2. I do not have a ethernet connection at my tv. I understand there are a couple or ways to resolve this; either Tivo's wireless adapter or maybe something like Netgear's powerline adapter. Is one better than the other?

thanks for your help
ragmopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post
I have been a long time Directv customer, and I have a series 2 Directv Tivo. It is now time for me to decide should I stay with D* or move on to cable (in my case Charter) and the Premiere box. I will be contacting both D* and Charter too see about prices/deals.

So this leads me to a couple of questions (I tried searching but probably not using the right search parameters if there is answers out there):

1. If I go with Charter and Premiere what is the proper order in setting everything up. Should I just get the cable and their dvr, and then hook up the Premiere as it apparently takes awhile for the Premiere to be set up enough b4 the cable card is installed?

2. I do not have a ethernet connection at my tv. I understand there are a couple or ways to resolve this; either Tivo's wireless adapter or maybe something like Netgear's powerline adapter. Is one better than the other?

thanks for your help
1. If you don't have to pay for someone to come out I would have them come set you up with one of their DVR's or you have the Tivo Ready for them to setup and tell them on the phone you have a Tivo and need a CableCard.

I personally already had a Comcast DVR when I switched to TiVo. I simply went to the local Comcast office and returned the DVR and asked for Two Cable Cards. To my surprised there was no fees for cable cards in Oakland!

I took the Card home and just put the TiVo where the Comcast DVR was and slipped the cable card in and did the guided setup. I personally thought it was easy but I am on Comcast in the bay area, you might want to ask what other charter users have experienced.

2. Go with the MoCa its really easy to setup if you already have Coax cables running in your walls. Wireless should only be used in my opinion if you have no other way but since you haven't pulled the trigger on them yet go MoCa you will be able to transfer shows as fast as streaming. If you plan on transferring to and from your computer wired is a must IMHO.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
DonaldBurns65144

What version software is in the new premiere? It might need to update to the latest before streaming will work. Give it a few days to update to 20.2.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBurns65144 View Post
What version software is in the new premiere? It might need to update to the latest before streaming will work. Give it a few days to update to 20.2.
A new premier updates to 20.2 when you plug them in and it does the first connection.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
pmiranda

Unless you're getting one of their boxes free in a bundle, I wouldn't bother getting their box at all. If you can self-install (and I think that's an FCC mandate) then pick up a cablecard (and a TA if needed) and hook it up. TiVo can give you signal strength and channel test even if your cablecard isn't authorized yet, so you can usually tell the difference between a signal issue and a authorization issue.
If you can get a box for free, it's nice since you can prove to them on their equipment if you have a bad signal issue. For borderline signal issues, cableco boxes seem more robust than TiVo and you just have to get the cleanest signal you can get.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
ragmopp

The cable company will have to come out, as there is no cable into the house (unless you consider my internet service with them). And there is no cable to where the tv is located.

I would really like to skip their box if possible, but reading a few comments on this board that the installers are not happy waiting for Tivo to do its thing, gives me pause.

As I don't have a coaxial connector by the the tv (what IS there is from the D* dish) I don't think the MoCa will work. So I suppose it is either wifi or the powerline adapter.

Thanks for your help...

Last edited by ragmopp : 04-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
ajwees41

Quote:
The cable company will have to come out, as there is no cable into the house (unless you consider my internet service with them). And there is no cable to where the tv is located.

I would really like to skip their box if possible, but reading a few comments on this board that the installers are not happy waiting for Tivo to do its thing, gives me pause.

As I don't have a coaxial connector by the the tv (what IS there is from the D* dish) I don't think the MoCa will work. So I suppose it is either wifi or the powerline adapter.

Thanks for your help...
you don't need their box if you have a tivo? f the coax is rg 6 it will work for cable tv and moca, but you will need moca adapters and filters
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Lars_J

Quote:

thanks for your help
I have Charter and a TiVo premiere.

1) If you are sure you are going to have cable service, you might as well get the Premiere first. That way when the Charter tech comes to hook up the service, they can hook up the cablecard at the same time. (make sure you inform them that you have a TiVo DVR and want a cablecard when you make your appt) On the other hand the Premiere is pretty useless without cable service. Whatever works. My charter tech had never encountered a TiVo before, so some hand-holding through the interface was needed. But we managed to figure it out quickly together, and with a quick call to his tech center he was able to enable the cable card. Just make sure that the TiVo can see any premium channels you subscribe to before he leaves.

2) I happen to have my cable modem at the entertainment center, so I have my router there with a direct ethernet cable. BUT I do use the Netgear powerline adapter to connect to my home office, and it works really well. This is what I use, works GREAT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122329

It has a four-port hub at one end, and a regular one port on the other end.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
ragmopp

ajwees41: The only coax I have is from my D* dish in the back of the house to the tv. Unless I have someone come out and recable I don't think that will work.

lars_j: the powerline adapter might just work. Will have to find an outlet that is free, because, as I understand it, you cannot plug them into a UPS box.

Regarding the actual install, although the guy I talked to on the phone at Charter, suggested to have his box installed first, I like your idea better. Once I have made up my mind about the Premeire or the D* Tivo (and the D* would be simplest) I think I would take the route of getting the Tivo and telling Charter to install it.

As I get older this technology is getting harder to follow, so thank you all for your help.

Update: I called Charter and asked about just installing another coax for the internet by the tv, and they said it was $30 so will do that instead of buying the other stuff (should have thought of that before). Will discuss with them when my contract runs out with d*.

Last edited by ragmopp : 04-11-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Lars_J

The only concern about getting the TiVo box before cable is that the TiVo box really should be up and running to ease the cable card installation. (Charter guy wont be happy to hang around for the Guided TiVo setup) So it needs an internet connection and at minimum an over-the-air antenna connected to allow its setup to complete.

EDIT: Strike that, an antenna may not be needed. Just tell it what cable service you will use, but skip the step that tests the channels.

Last edited by Lars_J : 04-12-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Lars_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
pmiranda

Yeah, you can do all the TiVo setup before you have any channels being received. It can download guide data and do the initial setup with nothing but an internet connection. (Or I think a phone line with the USB-phone adapter... assuming they still support those?)

However, since you have a cable modem, chances are good that you can put a splitter on that outlet and get the local HD channels on it for testing out your connection. Unless they install a signal block on modem-only lines, you can even test signal strength on the cablecard channels by doing a cable channel scan... you just wouldn't be able to watch them. When you're done with that, go back to the cable channel scan screen and there's an option to delete all previously scanned channels to automatically clean up your channel list, since when you get a cablecard it will re-populate all the channels again and make a mess.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
ragmopp

Things have changed a bit since I last wrote. After I had set up the appointment, I realized I didn't need a coax at the tv but ethernet (dummy). As it was too late to contact them I hoped they would do that instead. The Charter guy came out the next am and informed me they did not install ethernet just coax . So he couldn't do anything. Well....I decided to go the Netgear Powerline Adapter route. Ordered if from Amazon and it showed up this am. Now even I could figure that thing out. Plugged both ends in to the wall hook up the ethernet cables and I had internet on my tv. So that is resolved.

I did ask the guy if he would be doing the install if I go with them for tv service. He said most likely, as it was just him and another guy in my area. I then asked him about the Tivo and what would he prefer me to do when the day comes to install. He said just have the Tivo sitting on the floor he would take it from there. Now, that is a relief to me. And I found out that Charter wouldn't charge me for the tech's 'service call'. Good news all around.

Again thank you all for your imput. I am sure once I get everything there will be more questions and it's great to know I can get help on this forum.

Oh, by the way, my series two Diretivo seems to know its days are numbered as it is starting to reboot every few days. Are these things psychic ? I hope it lasts till I am ready.

Last edited by ragmopp : 04-13-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
ajwees41

Quote:
ajwees41: The only coax I have is from my D* dish in the back of the house to the tv. Unless I have someone come out and recable I don't think that will work.

lars_j: the powerline adapter might just work. Will have to find an outlet that is free, because, as I understand it, you cannot plug them into a UPS box.

Regarding the actual install, although the guy I talked to on the phone at Charter, suggested to have his box installed first, I like your idea better. Once I have made up my mind about the Premeire or the D* Tivo (and the D* would be simplest) I think I would take the route of getting the Tivo and telling Charter to install it.

As I get older this technology is getting harder to follow, so thank you all for your help.

Update: I called Charter and asked about just installing another coax for the internet by the tv, and they said it was $30 so will do that instead of buying the other stuff (should have thought of that before). Will discuss with them when my contract runs out with d*.
Charter doesn't do D* Tivo that's direct tv not cable
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote