TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
nandopr

Who is having spontaneous reboot with Elite?

Hello everyone!

I have two new Premiere Elite. They are both getting "spontaneous reboot". Sometimes I am on bed at night and I hear the Elite fan spinning very fast and then slowing down. (I know the pattern, it is rebooting).

My old Premiere did not have this problem.

Also, sometimes when I change to a SDV channel I have to press "select" several times before I tune in into the channel.

Maybe is software related but I know I am in the minority. Most folks are not having problem at all.

Cable diagnostics shows:

Signal Strength 92
SNR 37db

The same for both Premiere Elite.

I know that the cable company installed an amplifier long time ago. I am planning of getting rid of the amplifier. Just to test it.

The signal strength without the amplifier is about 83 or 85.

Will my Elite work well with 83 or 85 signal strength?

Curios about other people with the same issue. I did search the forum, but would like some updated comments and information.

Thank you

Last edited by nandopr : 10-26-2011 at 12:24 PM.
nandopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
djwilso

I had reboots the first week with the Elite while doing a lot of transfers from my S3.

Since then, the reboots have ceased. I hope it stays that way...
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
andyf

I assume I get a reboot every few days. I come home and all menu bar positions have been reset. It's never happened while I'm home.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
nandopr

I hope this will not affect my recordings. I hope it will go away eventually.

Thank you for the information.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
innocentfreak

AFAIK I haven't had a reboot other than the one time I tried to transfer multiple items through TiVo Desktop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
jfh3

Yes, this is a know problem with the Elite and the current software level.

Please make sure you are reporting these to Tivo when you see them. They can enable some extra logging as necessary.

See the thread in my sig (especially first post) for other known issues.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
nandopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Yes, this is a know problem with the Elite and the current software level.

Please make sure you are reporting these to Tivo when you see them. They can enable some extra logging as necessary.

See the thread in my sig (especially first post) for other known issues.
Thank you Jfh3.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
seakurt

Mine JUST had another reboot while I was watching a recorded program and recording on 1 tuner. This is the second or third spontaneous reboot (that I know of) in a week. Twice now when I was recording so getting two separate files for a program with several minutes missing.

I read somewhere that it might be happening if you are using the SD menus -- I was, but just switched back. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks!
seakurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

I'm using HD menus and I'm getting the spontaneous reboots...including just a few minutes ago. The Mrs. and I were watching a show and it just locked up about 20 minutes in; two other things were recording. After being frozen for about 30 seconds it rebooted. I've searched back through shows and I'm finding the occasional partials. Hopefully the patch is coming soon.
PrimeRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've only had my Elite less than a week. I had it reboot on me a couple times while using the menus but just now it rebooted although I hadn't pressed a key in probably 2 hours. I looked up when the sound stopped, the picture froze for a couple seconds and then it rebooted.

I have HDUI enabled but I was just watching TV (full screen). Nothing was being recorded. I haven't done any transfers, and I don't have a TA. I use wired ethernet. I do have a slider remote and the BT dongle.

Definitely disturbing. Is there any way to look at logs like on the S1?
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ok, it just rebooted again, this time I was deleting messages and it hung for a few minutes then rebooted.

I also got a response back from Tivo saying the problem could be due to the signal which I have to say sounds like a complete load of crap to me even if there is some kind of signal problem - which I doubt considering I've had a Moxi connected to the same cable for 1.5 years and a Motorola box before that and never had an issue.

Regardless, my signal strength and SNR seem to be within their limits, signal is 86-92 depending on the channel and SNR is 34-36 which is at the high end of the range (really though, not enough noise is allegedly a "problem"?). I have a ton of RS uncorrectable and correctable on all 4 tuners but I'm suspicious of those numbers because they are not incrementing at all and I am having zero video problems.

I rebooted twice, well, the one time it rebooted itself and the other time I pulled the power. I tuned to 4 different channels, and if I go look at those values the "uncorrected" has been high, in the 4000-6000 range. Corrected is either pretty low like 20 or high like 500ish. But, 10 minutes later if I check again the values are identical, they are not incrementing at all. They did all change across the (cold) reboot though.

So, I don't know... I'm actually getting to like the Tivo but random rebooting is completely unacceptable, especially when you get answers like this from support that don't inspire much confidence.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had mine reboot last night, but I was messing around with how many HD streams I could get it to read and write. I had it reading and writing eight HD streams concurrently without issue, but then I tried accessing it from another premiere and tried to initiate a transfer to make it do nine concurrent HD streams.

That caused a reboot, and then it seemed unstable for a while since it would boot up and it seemed to try and continue all the streams and recordings I was doing concurrently.

It rebooted three times. When I stopped that box from trying to transfer a ninth HD stream it stopped rebooting and has been fine since then.

I won't be trying that again, anytime soon.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
nandopr

If this is a software bug related issue I hope that Tivo will fix it eventually.

I remember when I got the Premiere some time ago I was having some problems. Then after a couple of software upgrades my Tivo was stable.

My SNR is close to todd_j_derr. Signal is around 93.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
tvhank

I've had reboots the first two weeks I got the Premiere Elite. I really tried to narrow down what could be causing the problem but it seems random. I've had it when I was watching a show, watching live TV or when I am transferring a show from another Tivo. I've even had it happen when I just finished a show and left it sitting on "My Shows" screen while I was doing something else. I thought at one time it seem to happen about 30minutes - 2hours after I forced a connection until it rebooted without me forcing a connection. Knock on wood, but it hasn't happen to me for a couple of weeks now.

I let Tivo know about the problem but of course they are blaming on either too strong of a signal, unclean electricity, bad MCard, etc. I just don't think it's any of that since the Elite replaced my old THD and is using all the same cables and cards and electricity. Hopefully the reboot never happens when I'm recording something.

Last edited by tvhank : 10-28-2011 at 02:39 PM.
tvhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
baleog6263

I've had mine installed for about 18 hours now... 4 reboots that I know of.
Once during guided setup before I even installed the cable card or connected the coax, once while recording a show/navigating the main menu, once while just watching live TV, and once watching a movie on Netflix.

Support tried to blame an invalid video signal... I told them I disagree since it happened before I had anything connected, so they had me move to another power outlet. I highly doubt it's a power issue since I haven't had any problems with the other devices on the surge protector I was using (including my S3) but I'm willing to play along just to rule it out.
baleog6263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
Tivogre

I'm having spontaneous reboots about every day and a half on one Elite.

The other one has not spontaneously rebooted (that I know of) but it is watched much less frequently.

My Premiere and 2 Hd units are as stable as always.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
gpejsa

Got another spontaneous reboot today...happened while I was away for 10 minutes and came back to see my football game was no longer on (and the tivo startup screen was present). I'd say this is about the 6th reboot I've observed in the 3 weeks (approx) I have had the device....
Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Now they want me to do some goofy procedure where I'm supposed to remove the cablecard, and disconnect the cable and ethernet and see if it crashes. I bet if I remove the power cord as well it would be practically guaranteed not to crash, and just as useful to me as with everything else disconnected. Seriously, I'm supposed to leave it like that for how long in order to "prove" something? I mean, it hasn't crashed now in 2 days AFAIK, so I guess it would have to be longer than that.

Do they realize the sheer ridiculousness of that suggestion? Do I get these "idle" days added to my 30 day trial? It's a shame because I think aside from this issue I'm on the "keep it" side of the fence, but it's going to be hard to accept random reboots.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #19
djwilso

Just had my first random reboot with my Elite in over a week of uptime. Not happy...

Before now, I had 3 or 4 reboots in the first week, then nothing until now.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #20
ADG
Allan

Hooked up my Elite on October 13th and had my first reboot last night. It occurred at approximately 10:15PM while I was watching USA HD and recording another show. My cable system is Cablevision and the signal strength rarely if ever goes below 95-96%

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #21
tivoknucklehead

Rebooted when I was viewing a photobucket album and hit the TiVo button
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #22
rrg

Happened to me this evening. Was watching a recorded show; Elite was recording programs on two tuners at the same time. Playback of recorded show froze and a few seconds later the Elite rebooted (thus spoiling the new recording). I suspect that there have been other reboots because several times I've found the menus in default positions (usually a telltale that there's been a reboot) but this time I caught it in the act of rebooting.

Around the same time, a problem that I previously reported in another thread, in which Season Passes abruptly became corrupted (channel numbers changed to a non-existent channel), recurred. Channel number "303" replaced the correct channel number on the first ten or so of the Season Passes in my list (last time it was channel "234").

Add to this another problem that I've seen multiple times, in which HDMI audio disappears until the unit is rebooted, and I've had enough of the Elite for now. As nice as this unit is in principle it's still too buggy to be reliable. I can't trust it and thus I can't use it to replace the Series 3 units that it was supposed to replace.

I'm still within the 30-day window for Best Buy returns as well as for a return on the Lifetime Service plan from TiVo. I'm going to return the Elite and revisit the idea in a few months when (perhaps) things have improved.

Last edited by rrg : 10-30-2011 at 09:38 PM.
rrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #23
deathpulse

I haven't noticed any re-boots in the past few weeks - how do you all determine if it reboots?
deathpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

All four tuners should be on the same channel. Assuming you haven't had a bunch of recordings scheduled since the reboot. For me fortunately my reboots have been when I was messing around with stuff. Like trying to get a 9th HD stream going, or the Amazon VOD bug during TiVo search, when Huku plus wasn't working or when I was moving my BT adapter around. Otherwise for me in normal use it has been fine. Going to Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon, recording four things etc has been fine.

Edit: I also had a reboot doing four recordings, transfers and trying a transfer with TiVo Desktop. They definitely have some bugs to work out, but for me, with normal use, The Elite is reliable enough for me to use it exclusively in my main viewing area. I've still had my two, 2 tuner Premieres recording but I haven't watched them in a couple of weeks. So now it's time to unplug them and put them up for sale.

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-30-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
tivoknucklehead

Premiere XL rebooted on its own Sunday night and I was not watching it. I noticed this morning when I saw the THX sign and saw that Homeland did not record. they need to fix this soon
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #26
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
Premiere XL rebooted on its own Sunday night and I was not watching it. I noticed this morning when I saw the THX sign and saw that Homeland did not record. they need to fix this soon
Have you checked your signal values in DVR Diagnostics? Also, this thread is specifically related to Elite units, not Premiere's/Premiere XLs.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Have you checked your signal values in DVR Diagnostics? Also, this thread is specifically related to Elite units, not Premiere's/Premiere XLs.
85 on my elite, 75 on my XL premiere. Is this not good enough?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #28
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Tivo HD user here.... but one thing to consider is HDMI lockups, which can be caused by defects in the device at either end of the cable -- or by a bad cable.

I was experiencing frequent lockups/reboots with HDMI a year ago. I switched to component and haven't had a spontaneous lockup/reboot since. (Netflix caused some until the last Series 3 software update to 11.0k.) My TV does HDMI fine with my DVD player and my Logitech Revue, so I blame it on the TiVo HDMI interface.

It's irksome to me, and I'm sure will be unaccepable to others, to not be able to use HDMI. However, I'm just suggesting this as a diagnostic idea -- see if HDMI is the culprit by not using it for a while. If HDMI is the problem, the first thing to try is a new HDMI cable.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead

85 on my elite, 75 on my XL premiere. Is this not good enough?
This should be more than good enough. I have some channels with a signal level of 70. They seem to vary on my FiOS connection between 70 and 95. But either way they don't seem to cause any issues.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 PM   #30
seakurt

Two more reboots today. Once when nothing was recording. Might have coincided with the scheduled update. The second about 8:10 PM Pacific. Daily Show and Terra Nova were recording and I was watching The Daily Show delayed. Wasn't touching the remote when it happened.

I'm still within 30 days... if I don't see a software update or some acknowledgement of this issue by TiVo I'm going to return the whole mess and go back to my HD. Between the box and the lifetime it's just too much money for this to be happening.

Is anyone experiencing this using the HDMI cable that came with the box? Thinking of maybe swapping that out with a new one.
seakurt is offline   Reply With Quote