TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
ADG
Allan

Semi-reboot 2 days in a row - Elite

For the past two mornings at approximately the same time (7:30 AM EDT) my Elite has switched from the show I was watching (NBC HD) to the main menu for approximately 2-3 seconds and then to a black screen. Then, in about 30 seconds, the THX logo and sound appear and it goes back to the main menu. It's not a full reboot - it recovers too quickly. It's kind of like logging off and on with a computer rather than rebooting it. Prior to this I've had no problems with the unit since the upgrade to the current software version a couple of months ago.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? And since it happened at essentially the same time two days in a row I have to wonder if something is going on at that time that's causing the issue.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Not sure why it's happening specifically, but the Flash HD menus can occasionally restart, independent of the rest of the box.

Flash could experience some kind of brain fart... a missing graphical asset, momentary network connection glitch, or whatever random thing it's doing in the background.

I've had it happen on occasion on a regular Premiere. On the bright side, if there is one to this, even though the HDUI can be wonky at times, if it reboots all other functions continue... including things that might be recording.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
For the past two mornings at approximately the same time (7:30 AM EDT) my Elite has switched from the show I was watching (NBC HD) to the main menu for approximately 2-3 seconds and then to a black screen. Then, in about 30 seconds, the THX logo and sound appear and it goes back to the main menu. It's not a full reboot - it recovers too quickly. It's kind of like logging off and on with a computer rather than rebooting it. Prior to this I've had no problems with the unit since the upgrade to the current software version a couple of months ago.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? And since it happened at essentially the same time two days in a row I have to wonder if something is going on at that time that's causing the issue.

Thanks.
Can you back up and see the part that happened during this "hiccup"? Is it still in the 30 minute buffer?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
ADG
Allan

Nothing to see - I was watching while it happened - just news on the Today Show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Nothing to see - I was watching while it happened - just news on the Today Show.
Does it quit recording into the buffer or not?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Does it quit recording into the buffer or not?

I just had a similar "re-start" and it seems that it didn't affect the "buffer" at all. I've replayed probably 10 minutes prior to "re-start" to a point well beyond the point of the "re-start".

I was watching "live" when the main TiVo screen appeared, the entire TiVo main screen just went blank, PIP of "live" went blank then the screen just went blank and in maybe 40 or so seconds the THX and the return to TiVo main menu. That's best I recall. This in on PXL. I'd guess the complete elapsed time might have been 90 or so seconds - might have been less!

I have had this occur I believe a couple other times and I believe a couple times on my PE.

My machines are hard-wired to a 1G network that performs well.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
I just had a similar "re-start" and it seems that it didn't affect the "buffer" at all. I've replayed probably 10 minutes prior to "re-start" to a point well beyond the point of the "re-start".

I was watching "live" when the main TiVo screen appeared, the entire TiVo main screen just went blank, PIP of "live" went blank then the screen just went blank and in maybe 40 or so seconds the THX and the return to TiVo main menu. That's best I recall. This in on PXL. I'd guess the complete elapsed time might have been 90 or so seconds - might have been less!

I have had this occur I believe a couple other times and I believe a couple times on my PE.

My machines are hard-wired to a 1G network that performs well.
Yep, just happened again exactly as described above - first time since I posted a month ago. And it happened at almost the exact same time as the last two - 7:04 AM when the Today Show was on.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
dave13077

Quote:
Yep, just happened again exactly as described above - first time since I posted a month ago. And it happened at almost the exact same time as the last two - 7:04 AM when the Today Show was on.
Did you check to see if all 4 tuners were reset to the same channel when it happened. I set up my Elite on Friday and the last 2 mornings all 4 tuners were set to the same channel when I turned on the TV in the morning. Just like it would if it rebooted but it didn't re-set the menus ("to do list" was highlighted in "find shows' and not reset back to the top of the page like it would for a full reboot).
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
ADG
Allan

Just checked and they are not on the same channel.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
dave13077

Quote:
Just checked and they are not on the same channel.
OK thanks. Not to high-jack your thread I will start another.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
ADG
Allan

And again this morning. Always between 7AM - 8AM. Is nobody else (other than WVZR1) experiencing this?