TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
VegasVic
Craps Player

Amazing Race - "I Didn't Make Her Cry" - 4/8/12

Not a great episode, no roadblock, non elim. Bopper and Mark had a good leg ("I hope they don't think we are courtin'). I like Narie and Jamie, glad they get another shot. Big Baby team/Vanessa & Ralph can go anytime. I liked Vanessa previously, not so much tonight.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Yep, another lifeless episode in a generally lifeless season. More pointless bickering, and Rachel still hasn't received her comeuppance. Someone wake me when that happens.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
debtoine
WTTWDC

Usually, I like to actually watch each episode and they keep my attention. Tonight, I was so bored, I found myself only half watching.

I still can't wait to see Rachel and Brendan eliminated. Their 15 minutes was up long ago.

deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
debtoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
laria
Librocubicularist

I don't watch Big Brother so all I know about that team is what they have shown us on this show, and there is no way that she deserved that b***h treatment by Vanessa. I hope that those jerks are eliminated soon.

Also, what is up with all the complaining about people following you! You're in the middle of Africa, where there appears to only be one dirt road in the direction that you have to go. Where else are they going to go but behind you?!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I don't watch Big Brother so all I know about that team is what they have shown us on this show, and there is no way that she deserved that b***h treatment by Vanessa.
She really, REALLY does.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
bigpuma

I agree that Rachel is very annoying but I was hoping the border patrol team would get eliminated tonight. I am tired of their arrogance and what is up with them trying to stir sh*t up then at the end of the episode saying they are just staying out of that.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
For the first time in ages, I thought it was ridiculously obvious that it was non-elim. They had each team build "their sleeping quarters" for the night. It would be stupid to have a team build a shelter and then not use it.

I think Vanessa sometimes forgets that the game is "poke Rachel with a stick". From what we saw in that airport scene, Brendon and Rachel were in the wrong, being careless when trying to get past people. Was that enough to get upset about? Nah. But Vanessa can't seem to let the opportunity for a good jab get away, and not only pokes but grinds with the stick. And Ralph is a good bully too (so is Brendon, so it's a Meathead Standoff). Rachel can't help but worry about what everyone thinks about her, so she melts at the slightest insult. Ah, what a dysfunctional little group.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
zalusky

I don't think I ever remember an elimination where they are out in the middle of nowhere so I knew it was coming. Still pretty scenery!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Vanessa can't ride a bike. She was really bad at it. I mean really bad. Like I couldn't believe how bad. I guess that makes my point.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
ADG
Allan

15 minutes of airport and arguing among the teams before any race activities were shown. Really?

And yes, it was also obvious to me this would be a non-elimination leg. It seems to happen most frequently when there is at least one unusually difficult, time consuming challenge.

ADG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Jebberwocky!

Quote:
Also, what is up with all the complaining about people following you! You're in the middle of Africa, where there appears to only be one dirt road in the direction that you have to go. Where else are they going to go but behind you?!
The border patrol guys are so annoying, they complain that Rachel and Brandon are constantly following them. First, the're going to the same place you are and second, when R&B were ahead of the border patrol the first thing the patrol guys tell their driver "follow that car"

Also, I'm still not getting the hate towards Rachel and Brandon, on this show and this show alone they haven't really done anything to deserve the negative comments both on the show and on this board.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
I don't watch Big Brother so all I know about that team is what they have shown us on this show, and there is no way that she deserved that b***h treatment by Vanessa. I hope that those jerks are eliminated soon.
I agree that no one deserves to be treated that way, however that is exactly the mean girl routine that typified Rachel's behavior on BB. She'd all-out attack someone (a female) and when that person would retaliate, Rachel would break down into hysterics sobbing about how everyone is so mean to her...

She doesn't like it so much when someone attacks her. In fact, she comes unglued when someone responds to her in kind.

Having said that, Vanessa is totally trying to provoke her which is absolutely no better.

Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing and then I was shocked when somehow Dave and Rachel ended up being first at the pit stop/tent setup thingie and then they cut to the border patrol guys who somehow went "the wrong way!"

Wrong way? I only saw one dirt road!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
...But Vanessa can't seem to let the opportunity for a good jab get away, and not only pokes but grinds with the stick. And Ralph is a good bully too (so is Brendon, so it's a Meathead Standoff)...
Hahaha! Totally!

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
Jebberwocky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
I agree that no one deserves to be treated that way, however that is exactly the mean girl routine that typified Rachel's behavior on BB. She'd all-out attack someone (a female) and when that person would retaliate, Rachel would break down into hysterics sobbing about how everyone is so mean to her...

Different shows with different dynamics. What is par for the course on one doesn't mean that it is for the other.

They should be judged by their actions on the show the're on imo.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
Different shows with different dynamics. What is par for the course on one doesn't mean that it is for the other.

They should be judged by their actions on the show the're on imo.
I agree. But for those with the background knowledge it's hard not to draw parallels. Obviously, Vanessa has some background knowledge and, as martinp13 said above, can't help herself when the opportunity is there for her to poke the bear a little bit.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

If I had seen this show without watching BB, I'd also be wondering why B&R have gotten such a raw deal. Not that they are likable on TAR, but they really haven't been as annoying as they were on BB. But, since I watched BB, and since Rachel might have been the most unlikable person ever on that show (to me) and was the single reason I stopped watching BB, it's hard for me to see her any other way.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #16
Jebberwocky!

Scott, it sure is hard to forget her prior history of work, that's for sure. My Wife and I were discussing this last night and Rachel could take the high road and just ignore the comments and perhaps come out a more favorable light.

Not likely
Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
Scott, it sure is hard to forget her prior history of work, that's for sure. My Wife and I were discussing this last night and Rachel could take the high road and just ignore the comments and perhaps come out a more favorable light.

Not likely
Ha! True story.

I'm loathe to admit that last summer, when Brendan left the BB house for good, I actually found Rachel to be almost -- almost -- likable.

She definitely hasn't done much on the race to draw the kind of ire she's receiving. I agree that her undoing will be her inability to "take the high road," and I still think most of that is due to her wanting Brendan to do his knight-in-shining-armor routine.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Both sides are at fault but last night it seemed that many of the teams had it out for them. I was sorely disappointed at the attitude of the Border Patrol Agents, who I liked up until this episode.

Bopper and Mark (I think that is their names) and the 2 female federal agents are the ones I like the most now. I do kind of like Rachel #2 also.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
"Next week on The Amazing Race"
Spoiler:
Did they actually spoil next week's show and show two teams revealing that they had been U-turned????
Spoiler:
Brendan and Rachel and I forget the other team. Both teams were standing right in front of the U-turn in the clips. Rachel said something like "no surprise" in her hurt voice.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #20
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I'm on the verge of rooting for Rachel & Brenden to win just to see all the BB watcher's heads asplode.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #21
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Both sides are at fault but last night it seemed that many of the teams had it out for them. I was sorely disappointed at the attitude of the Border Patrol Agents, who I liked up until this episode.
I was disappointed in those guys. I also liked them up until last night when their arrogance came out both with the Green Team and the (other) Federal Agents.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #22
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Both Rachel and Brendon think much too highly of themselves, which gets them in trouble when they confront people more capable then they. In this clip from Big Brother, Rachel was sent back in the house after being eliminated, expressly for the purpose of stirring up trouble. She did her best, but was destroyed by Ragan, who though an even worse person than Rachel (imo), has a far greater wit, and was able to deflect Rachel's poor effort, return fire with his own nasty insults, all while maintaining the perceived moral high-ground within the house.

Starts around 4:25.

Ragan & Rachael's Fight Scenes - BB12
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

I find myself, just like when watching BB, rooting for Rachel and Brendon when they are matched against those who are both arrogant and capable, but unwilling to wish them ultimate victory, having seen the unbearable tyrants they can be when they actually have power to wield.

I can't imagine those two women as FBI agents. They wilt in the presence of the strong male officers and flounder during a physical comp, wishing they had a strong man to help them. Thankfully, TAR has its own affirmative action program in its non-elim legs.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
I can't imagine those two women as FBI agents. They wilt in the presence of the strong male officers and flounder during a physical comp, wishing they had a strong man to help them. Thankfully, TAR has its own affirmative action program in its non-elim legs.
When I made the comment to my wife that I hope the federal agents (I don't think they've said FBI) got eliminated, she made a comment similar to yours regarding the fact that they didn't have a man.

Also when I pointed out the blonde had good aim, my wife said "yeah, she even hit her femur"
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Vanessa can't ride a bike. She was really bad at it. I mean really bad. Like I couldn't believe how bad. I guess that makes my point.
Yep, "learn to ride a bike" should be on the "things to learn before going on TAR" list.

I was the short one in my family, and had hand-me-down bikes that had belonged to my taller brothers. So I didn't have much sympathy for the "this bike is too tall, I can't ride it" whining.

I was wondering why her partner didn't push her until she had a good head of steam going, but she probably would have veered off to the side of the road and crashed anyhow.

P.S. loved the part during the tent set-up where blonde Rachel was barking "yes sir!" at her officer husband.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #25
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Put me in the "I knew it was a non-elimination leg" group. I thought that it was too easy for the last team to know they weren't going to make it (and they even stopped to look at the elephants) than it is for a normal elimination episode. There was none of the usual editing to make it look closer than it really is.

The whole episode, including Phil's questioning when they got to the mat, pointed to setting up more confrontation next week with the double U-turn and the "teachers'" hidden agenda.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
"Next week on The Amazing Race"
Spoiler:
Did they actually spoil next week's show and show two teams revealing that they had been U-turned????
Spoiler:
Brendan and Rachel and I forget the other team. Both teams were standing right in front of the U-turn in the clips. Rachel said something like "no surprise" in her hurt voice.
Spoiler:

Actually, Rachel said "Shocker!" which is very interesting, because I think this is a term that she picked up on BB from Dani, who was Rachel's enemy after turning on their alliance. The term "Shocker!" became used in a mocking way during that season.

KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
When I made the comment to my wife that I hope the federal agents (I don't think they've said FBI) got eliminated, she made a comment similar to yours regarding the fact that they didn't have a man.

Also when I pointed out the blonde had good aim, my wife said "yeah, she even hit her femur"
I did both a chuckle and a moan when I heard them say they were behind in the challenge for lack of a man on their team. We did see that other teams used the chairs for added height in assembling the tent frame, so no man-height was required.

Coming after the discussion of the training accident where she shot herself in the leg, they weren't coming off too well this episode.

I was Ok with the border guys calling them on the schoolteacher lie. They noticed something and brought it up. I'd like to see it come out, especially since they do the whole phony "federal agents" description. Who would describe themselves as that and not mention the agency? I'm leaning more towards DEA, but I guess they could be postal inspectors.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I was Ok with the border guys calling them on the schoolteacher lie. They noticed something and brought it up. I'd like to see it come out, especially since they do the whole phony "federal agents" description. Who would describe themselves as that and not mention the agency? I'm leaning more towards DEA, but I guess they could be postal inspectors.
It's not a secret... they are DEA.

Quote:
Describe what you do: Enforce the controlled substance laws and bring criminals who grow, manufacture and distribute controlled substances to the criminal and civil justice system of the United States.
Quote:
Describe what you do: To enforce the controlled substances laws of the United States of America. In order to achieve this we target high-level drug traffickers and look to disrupt/dismantle them.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #29
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Let me preface this by saying I am familiar with Brendan & Rachel from Big Brother.

That being said, they do not come across nearly as bad on Amazing Race as they did on BB. They also seem to draw lots of fire from the other teams for not much apparent reason.

However, I have learned from watching many reality shows that Brendan & Rachel might just be receiving a quite favorable edit from the Amazing Race producers. They might be earning every bit of the fire they are receiving from the other teams, but that might not be the "characters" that the Amazing Race producers want us to see. That might make it appear they are being picked on, when just possibly what we are seeing is actually reactive fire from the other teams, and not preemptive fire.

Of course I could be wrong!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #30
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Let me preface this by saying I am familiar with Brendan & Rachel from Big Brother.

That being said, they do not come across nearly as bad on Amazing Race as they did on BB. They also seem to draw lots of fire from the other teams for not much apparent reason.

However, I have learned from watching many reality shows that Brendan & Rachel might just be receiving a quite favorable edit from the Amazing Race producers. They might be earning every bit of the fire they are receiving from the other teams, but that might not be the "characters" that the Amazing Race producers want us to see. That might make it appear they are being picked on, when just possibly what we are seeing is actually reactive fire from the other teams, and not preemptive fire.

Of course I could be wrong!
All true!

However I do find it hard to believe that Rachel has only had one meltdown so far. Plus she has said that TAR is much harder than BB (agreed!), so I can't imagine the stress hasn't gotten to her.