TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJaco View Post
I am not entirely sure if this needs its own thread but I'm am so confused.

We've been waiting for ages for TiVo to offer On Demand and now not sure if we should go for the XL or the Elite. There's about $150 in price difference, not that much if you spread it over the life of five years or so, plus we are getting a so-called "discount" of $100 off of life time.

The grand total for the Elite & life time is $843.73.

Grand total for XL & life time is $693.73.

Any input?
I don't have either of them, but major differences:

Elite has 4 tuners
XL does OTA but only has 2 tuners.

So if you need/potentially want OTA in the future, get the XL (or get the regular Premiere and upgrade the hard drive yourself for even more savings)..

But personally, I'd go for the more tuners. Even though the vast majority of what I watch is "broadcast" stuff, I still foresee having cable for a long time. Plus, having lifetime on ANY box is likely to still be a decent resale issue for years to come.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #32
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkercas
It amazes me that the On Demand rollout for Xbox 360 is nationwide immediately, but for us TiVo users, it has a slow roll...
The method used for the Xbox is different. That's solely TCP/IP (similar to on demand on the PC). The TiVo method is a TCP/IP QAM hybrid which requires headend server modifications.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #33
mattack

Note, this thread gives useful info:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=485767
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #34
LisaJaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I don't have either of them, but major differences:

Elite has 4 tuners
XL does OTA but only has 2 tuners.

So if you need/potentially want OTA in the future, get the XL (or get the regular Premiere and upgrade the hard drive yourself for even more savings)..

But personally, I'd go for the more tuners. Even though the vast majority of what I watch is "broadcast" stuff, I still foresee having cable for a long time. Plus, having lifetime on ANY box is likely to still be a decent resale issue for years to come.
I'm figuring the difference is $150 between the two. If the lifespan of the tivo box is about 5 years, that's like 30 bucks a year, or $2.50 a month, for two extra tuners plus the extra hard drive space. Worth it, right? You can't even buy a frou-frou Starbucks drink for $2.50.

Poooey. It's so difficult to be a woman. Indecisive, indecisive.
LisaJaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #35
rbiro

OnDemand is there but it doesn't work for me.
All I get when trying to actually watch a show is the grey bordered cablecard error screen, "In order to start cable service for this device, please contact..."

Naturally several calls to Comcast didn't fix anything.
rbiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #36
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJaco View Post
I'm figuring the difference is $150 between the two. If the lifespan of the tivo box is about 5 years, that's like 30 bucks a year, or $2.50 a month, for two extra tuners plus the extra hard drive space. Worth it, right? You can't even buy a frou-frou Starbucks drink for $2.50.
If it was me, and I knew I had no plans to ever use OTA, I'd spend the extra money and buy the Elite. As you point out, $150 over 5 years is relatively little to pay, and you may still have some recovery if you ever want to sell it on ebay. Aside from the hard drive (which can be replaced by someone with the know-how), the rest of the Tivo should easily outlive 5 years.

However, If you're planning on upgrading specifically because of the XFinity support, I'd wait until you see proof that it's up and running in your area, and that it works as promised. 'The coming months' could easily turn into 'the coming years' waiting for a feature to be deployed. It took forever to get the second core enabled, and the HDUI is still incomplete.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #37
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Do you do a lot of PPV versus free VOD with your Comcast box?

Scott
Mostly UFC PPV events. Once downloaded to a TiVo box they begin to self destruct after 90 minutes. On the Comcast box they stay as long as you like.

I have no idea how they will implement PPV's with this service. Sometimes they offer them the next day in the "on Demand" area. I guess we'll see if they delete them immediately when accessed via the On Demand menus... Fingers crossed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiro View Post
OnDemand is there but it doesn't work for me.
All I get when trying to actually watch a show is the grey bordered cablecard error screen, "In order to start cable service for this device, please contact..."

Naturally several calls to Comcast didn't fix anything.
Do you have Cablecards installed on your TiVo?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #38
smarthur

I live in San Jose, CA 95110. The Xfinity On Demand icon appeared Saturday afternoon 4-14, I can see the folders and program listings but when I go to play a show I get a gray screen saying to contact my cable provider to activate service.

I contacted Comcast they "sent a signal to the cable card." But it does not fix the issue. I've also done a reboot twice. I know my area is the first market to get this new feature and I'm sure there will be hiccups. I just hope they get resolved quickly.

I'll update my post when it starts working.

UPDATE:

After visiting Tivo's support page for Xfinity On Demand I figured out that my Cable Card was not paired.

Calling Comcast and giving them the Host ID and Data ID from the gray trouble screen allowed them to pair my cable card.

I'm now seeing the On Demand video.

Last edited by smarthur : 04-15-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: an update issue resolved
smarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #39
Gavroche

Problem with XFinity On Demand

It's working good for me for most things until I try to watch anything from HBO. I always get a message saying "Subscription Required."

What does this mean? I have HBO. Is this something messed up on the Tivo/XFinity side or is there in fact some additional thing I need to pay for?
Gavroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #40
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Haven't had time to mess with it too much, but all the Instruction and Welcome Videos that came with it are there. Unfortunately, that's all the content that's available to me. No actual Movies or TV Shows... How do I get to the good stuff?

Last edited by bareyb : 04-16-2012 at 02:43 AM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #41
Mikef5

I'm in the Milpitas Calif. area and I finally got my cable card for my Tivo Premiere on Tuesday and I've been playing around with it for a couple of days.
I do get Comcast's On-Demand and it actually works. It's not setup like a normal Comcast box but it is useable and it is integrated into the Tivo search results.
So you can now search Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu Plus, normal tv and Comcast's On Demand and view them from this new interface.
This is the Tivo/Comcast interface that should have been adopted by Comcast along time ago, instead of that wonky software interface they tried on the East coast.

Is it perfect, no, but it is useable and does, for now, what I want it to do.
The HD menu on the Tivo is really slow and takes a while to get use to it but looks very nice and if you need a speedier interface you can use the SD menu.
The Comcast On Demand interface is pretty spartan and takes a while to get use to it but you can finally get On Demand without having to have another box just for getting On Demand.

I'm sure, as I use it more, I'll find things that need to be improved or needs to be added but for an initial roll out of the integration of Tivo and Comcast's On Demand it's a good start and has, for now, kept me from going elsewhere.
I just hope they both continue to work on this and don't just make it work but make it work better.

Laters,
Mikef5
Mikef5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #42
emkorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Stephen answered that in the first post. They will announce other markets later. My guess is they are using the SF area first since that is where TiVo is located. How long it takes to roll out probably depends on how well it works in the SF rollout.
No, "later" is not an answer. The original Tivo/Comcast ox in Boston was advertised at rolling out to future markets "later" and it died in Boston.

Is this going to be rolled out in a month, 3 months, a year, never?
emkorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #43
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is anyone else getting ONLY the "About On Demand" Folder and nothing else???

Mine has been stuck on this since the rollout. I'm in Cupertino so I'm supposed to be on the approved list. Anyone out there in Cupertino getting the service? Anyone else just stuck with the "About" folder and nothing else?

Last edited by bareyb : 04-26-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #44
Eddief66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocvtrhythgd View Post
I'm very excited about this offering and I hope you are as well.

Best regards,
I'm very excited about reporting this spam.
Eddief66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #45
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkorial View Post
No, "later" is not an answer. The original Tivo/Comcast ox in Boston was advertised at rolling out to future markets "later" and it died in Boston.

Is this going to be rolled out in a month, 3 months, a year, never?
They aren't going to announce that. This has nothing to do with the TiVo Comcast box. Developing this as an app will make it much easier to roll out to their existing Premiere install base. But don't expect TiVo to make announcements about a time table so people can rake them over the coals if they are late.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #46
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Mine has been stuck on this since the rollout. I'm in Cupertino so I'm supposed to be on the approved list. Anyone out there in Cupertino getting the service? Anyone else just stuck with the "About" folder and nothing else?
Heard there came be issue with your cable card not being properly paired, I take it you called comcast? just wondering what they said...sometimes its useful.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #47
GoEagles

Odd random question. What's to stop someone from changing their zip code to one where the rollout is happening to get the software needed to get On Demand? Would this load the software, etc., and what is on TiVo's and Comcast's end to let them know to roll out On Demand to your TiVo?
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #48
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Please email your TiVo Service Number, and a picture of what you see to margret@tivo.com. I'll see what I can find out.
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #49
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Please email your TiVo Service Number, and a picture of what you see to margret@tivo.com. I'll see what I can find out.
Thank you so much.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #50
blackngold75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
Odd random question. What's to stop someone from changing their zip code to one where the rollout is happening to get the software needed to get On Demand? Would this load the software, etc., and what is on TiVo's and Comcast's end to let them know to roll out On Demand to your TiVo?
Getting the software isn't going to do you a bit of good if you're not in a Comcast "area" that can support it. There is a fair amount of work that has to be done in order to make this work - it's not just "flipping a switch".
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #51
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
A friend of mine on the forum works for Comcast and he's been looking into this for us. He's got it working for the most part. I just can't seem to find the "PPV" folder. Which is the one I need the MOST. Where are you guys seeing that?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #52
HerronScott

Is there supposed to be a PPV folder with the TiVo implementation of Xfinity VOD?

Have you tried searching for a movie or PPV event to see if it shows up that way?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #53
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Is there supposed to be a PPV folder with the TiVo implementation of Xfinity VOD?

Have you tried searching for a movie or PPV event to see if it shows up that way?

Scott
I have come to the conclusion that there is no specific folder for PPV's. I got what I'm going to get and it's simply not there. They have some "PPV replays" in the "Sports" folder though. I'm thinking perhaps the day of a big event, they will make it available somewhere in there.

The only PPV I really need are the UFC Events. There are a couple of ways you can get those now. I was told I had to have a Comcast DVR in order to get PPV's on my TiVo so that's really the only reason I had one. Many people have told me they don't have a Comcast DVR and they can get PPV's on their TiVo just fine. So I'm gonna return it tomorrow and see what happens.

Just as FYI to thread readers. Here's the various ways to get the UFC PPV on a TiVo Premiere:

1. You can call Comcast and order by phone

2. You can order it online via the Comcast website and (hopefully, don't know for sure) it will send the PPV to your TiVo.

3. You can get it the next day with the new App in the Sports/UFC/PPV Replays folder.

4. Possibly (hopefully) it will appear in the Sports/UFC folder the day of the live event.

Last edited by bareyb : 04-26-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #54
morac
Cat God

PPV and VOD are delivered via completely different mechanisms. PPV is for all intents just a normal channel, but it only gets authorized during the time you paid for (i.e. the event). PPV goes out "live" to everyone who has ordered it at the same time. The Premiere can tune PPV channels, but has no ordering mechanism. VOD on the other hand is only for pre-recorded programs and each user gets their own stream.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #55
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
PPV and VOD are delivered via completely different mechanisms. PPV is for all intents just a normal channel, but it only gets authorized during the time you paid for (i.e. the event). PPV goes out "live" to everyone who has ordered it at the same time. The Premiere can tune PPV channels, but has no ordering mechanism. VOD on the other hand is only for pre-recorded programs and each user gets their own stream.
I've never tried to order a PPV except directly from the channel so you are probably right about that. I did see a place to download PPV's on Comcast's On Demand system though, so they may have come up with a way. I won't know until the next PPV I guess. Worst case, you can get it the next day with On Demand, which would be fine with me.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #56
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post
Getting the software isn't going to do you a bit of good if you're not in a Comcast "area" that can support it. There is a fair amount of work that has to be done in order to make this work - it's not just "flipping a switch".
The local Comcast equipment that handles your connection has to be updated so that it can accept commands for OnDemand from the Internet, rather than just over the cable from their set-top boxes. And handle other things like sending the appropriate cable-card authorization to your TiVo, and I am sure lots of other things.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #57
Robert Lauriston

Yesterday I got email from Tivo saying I now have Xfinity On Demand. Looked at the menu where it was supposed to be, wasn't there. Power-cycled the Tivo, it showed up, but when I tried to access it I got a v301 error. Waited an hour, still got the error. Called Tivo support, explained the situation to the agent. While waiting for him to tell me what to do tried again and it had started working.

Note that there's some (maybe a lot) of stuff available on http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/ondemand that's not available through Tivo or a Comcast DVR.
Robert Lauriston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #58
Brad Williams

Do i need to have internet from comcast or just tv would do?
Brad Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #59
blackngold75

Just having Comcast TV service should be enough.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #60
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lauriston View Post

Note that there's some (maybe a lot) of stuff available on http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/ondemand that's not available through Tivo or a Comcast DVR.
The online Xfinity onDemand is also a aggregator for other content on the web, so it pulls in from Hulu for example and HBO GO. We do not get this on connected devices though - only on the xfinitytv.comcast.net website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Williams View Post
Do i need to have internet from comcast or just tv would do?

OnDemand is delivered via QAM not IP so we are not accessing Xfinity IP content on our TiVo - good riddance IP onDemand looks awful on my 55"!

When all onDemand content is in a format equivalent to HDX I will be interested.

BTW with your own subscription to netflix and hulu the tivo search has access to alsomost all the same content.

HBO GO + VuDU for apps and I have ever app I need. Come on TiVo! I want those in my Search Results.

I wish there was a way for us to filter onDemand SD content (like search for ancient aliens and only SD eps come up (- love that goofy **** the people are hilarious).
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote