TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Generic
Now in Dolby Digital

Cable VOD one step closer to TiVo?

I know there there are some areas that have cable VOD through TiVo but those are not the norm. This seems to be a joint effort between TiVo and Seachange to offer a software solution to cable operators that can send VOD to TiVos. I hope this comes sooner rather then later.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/tiv...ors/2012-08-15
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Not sure what all is involved but my local cable company offers Premieres and they do have the cable VOD. On the other hand, they take away at least one of the normal Tivo VOD choices (I think it's Amazon). They don't want the competition for the paid content. Maybe adding cable VOD is the easy part but axing a built-in Tivo capability is the hard part.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Mikef5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Not sure what all is involved but my local cable company offers Premieres and they do have the cable VOD. On the other hand, they take away at least one of the normal Tivo VOD choices (I think it's Amazon). They don't want the competition for the paid content. Maybe adding cable VOD is the easy part but axing a built-in Tivo capability is the hard part.
I have Comcast VOD with my Tivo and they take nothing away. I still have all the choices I had before except now I can access Comcast's VOD.
Why they are taking so long to roll it out to other areas is another question but I can verify that nothing is lost.

Laters,
Mikef5
Mikef5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
celtic pride

With my luck i will of switched back to directv when verizon finally if ever makes this available for its fios tv customers.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I believe my sarcasm is justified by past experience when I say: Pigs will fly before TWC does ANYTHING to accomodate TiVo. You're lucky if you can get just basic TiVo functionality without continuous hassles with TWC.

Since TiVo users are fewer than 1% of digital cable subscribers nationally, the surprising thing to me is that ANY cable co is doing things to accomodate them. I guess some of them have decided it will profit them to join TiVo rather than fight them with their own crappy DVR's. It remains to be seen if this strategy succeeds, but I don't think TWC will be on that bandwagon any time soon.

I have a close friend who uses TWC DVR's and has never had a TiVo (i.e., he can't be infected by TiVo fan-boy bias). He predicts the future for video delivery is the Internet (not a radical new idea) and that existing cable (as opposed to fiber-optic) distribution systems, for TV and internet, will disappear and be replaced by wireless distribution. Two assumptions behind this prediction are that (1) cable can't deliver the internet bandwidth to meet future demands and (2) the infrastructure cost to upgrade existing cable distribution systems to fiber-into-the-house will be cost prohibitive. It's an interesting thought ...... although it raises the question: Can wireless distribution meet the bandwidth requirements (at reasonable cost)?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
mattack

No way..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
agredon

A note for the Cablecos. While, TiVo users may only be a small percentage of your customers, they are ONLY your customers because of TiVo [or more accurately, because you cannot use a TiVo with anything other than Cable.] Seriously, Comcast [and most other Cableco] DVRs are an insult to DVRs. The only reason I'm sticking with them is because they are the only option that doesn't lock me into using their equipment and ONLY their equipment. Uverse has a much better DVR [than Comcast], HDNet, HDNet Movies, Chiller, and WAY MORE HD Channels. My TiVo is literally the only reason I plan to stay with Comcast, despite these serious shortcomings.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by agredon View Post
A note for the Cablecos. While, TiVo users may only be a small percentage of your customers, they are ONLY your customers because of TiVo [or more accurately, because you cannot use a TiVo with anything other than Cable.]
Any facts to back this up? I suspect there are many Tivo-users who want cable bad enough to get it without using TiVo -- if they had to. Also what about the recently released HD TiVo for DirectTV? Or isn't that worthy of being called a "TiVo" ?
Quote:
........Uverse has a much better DVR [than Comcast], HDNet, HDNet Movies, Chiller, and WAY MORE HD Channels. My TiVo is literally the only reason I plan to stay with Comcast, despite these serious shortcomings.
You do realize there are many areas of the country that have only one cable co as their choice, and no Uverse? And also many rural areas, including millions of people, that have only satellite as their option.

and
Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
No way..
If you continue to make such verbose posts, you may be confused with lrhorer.

and
Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
agredon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Any facts to back this up? I suspect there are many Tivo-users who want cable bad enough to get it without using TiVo -- if they had to.
While I can't speak for other Cablecos, I suspect they aren't much different than the ones I've dealt with (Comcast and Cox). Really, the only pro they have over other non-satelitte options (Uverse, et al.) is more on Demand choices. Cable has far fewer HD Channels and DVRs that are so bad they're an insult to DVRs everywhere.

Quote:
Also what about the recently released HD TiVo for DirectTV? Or isn't that worthy of being called a "TiVo" ?
That's a Satellite DVR. Satellite DVRs are ages ahead of Cable DVRs. Heck, the ViP-722 I had with Dish back in 2007 was 10x better than the POS Comcast marketed as an "HD DVR" in 2011. This supports my point that if forced to choose between Cable and Satellite/Uverse on their other merits, a good chunk of TiVo users would dump Cable so fast it'd make your head spin.

Quote:
You do realize there are many areas of the country that have only one cable co as their choice, and no Uverse? And also many rural areas, including millions of people, that have only satellite as their option.
Irrelevant. If they can't get cable [because of location,] then they can't use TiVo [except for OTA] anyways. My point is that given a choice, stop supporting Cable Cards and cable would lose most if not all of their customers who currently use TiVo to services such as Satellite or Uverse.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
......... My point is that given a choice, stop supporting Cable Cards and cable would lose most if not all of their customers who currently use TiVo to services such as Satellite or Uverse.
Perhaps or perhaps not -- you haven't produced any strong argements about that, IMHO. Remember there are significant downsides to both Satellite and UVerse. Anyway I don't think the cable cos are very worried about losing less than 1% of their subscribers, given the savings and reduced hassle they would gain by not supporting CableCARD and Tuning Adapters. (Just because such support is lousy doesn't mean they aren't spending a lot of money on it. )

and
Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
gsr852

Does the Comcast VOD work on a Series 3? If not, why not?
gsr852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
mattack

Because they only wrote the software for the Premiere series.. (yes, that's a lame reason IMHO.)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
gsr852

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Because they only wrote the software for the Premiere series.. (yes, that's a lame reason IMHO.)
What a disgrace!!!
gsr852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
trip1eX

I thought the headline read, "VoD one step closer to replacing Tivo."
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
This is why we need AllVid to come to fruition. If TiVo could design a single AllVid box that could work with any programming source then consumers would truly have a choice. Switching between cable, Dish, DirecTV or Uverse would require nothing more then a phone call and an install appointment. No need to swap out all your equipment just to change providers.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
mattack

Well, if the satellite companies didn't have waivers for the cablecard requirement, we could already have it (except for Uverse)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This is why we need AllVid to come to fruition. If TiVo could design a single AllVid box that could work with any programming source then consumers would truly have a choice. Switching between cable, Dish, DirecTV or Uverse would require nothing more then a phone call and an install appointment. No need to swap out all your equipment just to change providers.

Dan
Which is exactly why all of them fought the FCC so hard to keep it from happening, and why the FCC in turn silently dropped the idea (gotta keep that revolving door open ya know). AllVid went nowhere.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

The AllVid alliance of CEA manufacturers is still pushing for it...

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...or_AllVid_.php

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, and the FCC doesn't care - in the original notice of intent over 2 years ago, they wanted some solution in the works by the end of this year. You can see how that went.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote