TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Bay Area, CA: TiVo & Comcast XFinity on Demand -- it's official

Hi folks,

I've seen a lot of speculation, but now we can confirm: It is true! TiVo and Comcast will begin rollout of Xfinity On Demand to San Francisco Bay Area TiVo Premiere customers tomorrow. Because this feature is added to our retail TiVo Premiere boxes, SF and Bay Area customers will have access to Xfinity On Demand in addition to the full on demand library, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Pandora.

The rollout will hit all existing TiVo Premiere DVRs over the next few weeks. Existing TiVo Premiere users in the Bay Area will automatically receive this update to their DVR and will have access to the Xfinity On Demand library.

TiVo Premiere subscribers in additional markets across the country are expected to have access to the XFINITY On Demand library in the coming months. The moment I get permission to confirm other dates, I will post here.

Please visit www.tivo.com/comcast to learn more or to sign up for notifications when XFINITY On Demand becomes available on TiVo Premiere in additional areas.

Any questions, please let us know.

I'm very excited about this offering and I hope you are as well.

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
gatorbait

Look forward to seeing how this goes in Northern California.

I love my TiVo for recording shows, but don't really trust it for Netflix or Hulu Plus. Seems like I have to reboot about 10% of the time I try to use either platform. Hope the Xfinity implementation will be a bit more solid.
gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

This is wonderful news! It's time my mom replaces her old Comcast/Motorola/Tivo. She insisted on keeping it for the access to OnDemand. Now she can get a real Tivo!!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
steinbch

Do you have any screenshots of the OnDemand screens? Wondering if it is the old UI (like Amazon) or something newer (like the new YouTube/Netflix). Heck, I'd be happy if it was just similar to the Browse TV/Movies menu.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
tomm1079

Cant wait for this to hit chicago area!
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
cwashizawa

I'm in the SF bay area. As of now, I haven't received the update. I'll post screen shots as soon as I receive the update.
cwashizawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
LisaJaco

Really excited for this! I can finally get rid of that pos Comcast box. Thanks!
LisaJaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
morac
Cat God

Awesome, can't wait for it to get to NJ. Two quick questions though:

1. Will this give access to the entire VoD library (i.e. exactly the same as what's available on a cable box)?

2. Do you expect all Comcast areas will get this by the end of the year?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
beejay

I rarely use Comcast's On Demand because I hate the remote control and interface.

I look forward to that coming month when I can get On Demand through TiVo.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
LisaJaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
Hi folks,

I've seen a lot of speculation, but now we can confirm: It is true! TiVo and Comcast will begin rollout of Xfinity On Demand to San Francisco Bay Area TiVo Premiere customers tomorrow. Because this feature is added to our retail TiVo Premiere boxes, SF and Bay Area customers will have access to Xfinity On Demand in addition to the full on demand library, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Pandora.

The rollout will hit all existing TiVo Premiere DVRs over the next few weeks. Existing TiVo Premiere users in the Bay Area will automatically receive this update to their DVR and will have access to the Xfinity On Demand library.
Stephen, do you recommend I wait a few weeks before purchasing a TiVo Premier? I have a 7 year old TiVo sitting here with lifetime support. Not quite sure if I'm jumping the gun by purchasing Premier before OnDemand is up and running.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJaco View Post
Stephen, do you recommend I wait a few weeks before purchasing a TiVo Premier? I have a 7 year old TiVo sitting here with lifetime support. Not quite sure if I'm jumping the gun by purchasing Premier before OnDemand is up and running.
have you type in your zip to confirm its coming to your area? from what I understand we are waiting for comcast not tivo now.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Really excited for this! I can finally get rid of that pos Comcast box. Thanks!
Not quite there for me... The Comcast Box is still better for PPV's since TiVo boxes delete PPV's almost immediately. Regardless of if you have actually watched them or not... So I guess I'm still stuck with the POS Comcast box.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
LisaJaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
have you type in your zip to confirm its coming to your area? from what I understand we are waiting for comcast not tivo now.
Yes, I did! And it's coming to a theater near me soon!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
emkorial

any timing on rollout outside sf? how long will this testing in the test market take?
emkorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkorial View Post
any timing on rollout outside sf?
Stephen answered that in the first post. They will announce other markets later. My guess is they are using the SF area first since that is where TiVo is located. How long it takes to roll out probably depends on how well it works in the SF rollout.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Awesome, can't wait for it to get to NJ. Two quick questions though:

1. Will this give access to the entire VoD library (i.e. exactly the same as what's available on a cable box)?

2. Do you expect all Comcast areas will get this by the end of the year?
1. Yes, it should be identical.

2. That is still being determined.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. There are enormous differences between some of the different Comcast regions.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Quote:
Never a better time to buy than now

Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Not quite there for me... The Comcast Box is still better for PPV's since TiVo boxes delete PPV's almost immediately. Regardless of if you have actually watched them or not... So I guess I'm still stuck with the POS Comcast box.
Are you speculating that the TiVo will work the same as what you are describing, or have you used/seen it work that way with Comcast? I had a Comcast box a long time ago, and I did not think these were downloaded but were made available through their service.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
mazman

Given the lack of screen shots in this thread, is it safe to assume that Comcast has not yet rolled this out in SF?
mazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
sinkercas

It amazes me that the On Demand rollout for Xbox 360 is nationwide immediately, but for us TiVo users, it has a slow roll...
sinkercas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
Richard A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkercas View Post
It amazes me that the On Demand rollout for Xbox 360 is nationwide immediately, but for us TiVo users, it has a slow roll...
I agree, it also amazes me that not one person has posted that they have received On Demand yet. Makes me wonder if those that might have received it are still at work and don't know they have it yet, or it hasn't been released yet from Comcast. I'm thinking it's Comcast holding it up.
Richard A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
inaka

I'm in Oakland and would be all over this if I didn't have only a Tivo Series 3.
I'm looking forward to screen shots from this thread, because I'd upgrade the series 3 immediately to get On-Demand.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

I'm in San Francisco; a Comcast customer in good standing; using a Premiere Elite (that so far, knock on wood, has been perfect); have enrolled in the early opt-in program and am running software version 20.2.0a-01-2-758; have just (about 4:00 PDT) forced a connection to TiVo central to ensure latest data; have enabled channel 1, and ...

Nothing.

Roaming the various menus I don't see anything new such as an on-demand app. Selecting channel 1 results in an infinite "Searching for signal on this cable channel..." message.

I'll keep looking periodically and report back if anything changes.
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
inaka

minimeh, have you tried restarting the TiVo?
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
bwellingx

I'm also in the Bay Area, a Comcast customer, and using a Premiere Elite running software version 20.2.0a-01-2-758 (although I don't know if that's the version needed for On Demand).

I've initiated several connections to Tivo today, and rebooted the box after one of the connections to see if that helped. There's nothing new in the Video on Demand menus yet.
bwellingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

No, but I did check to see if it was waiting for a restart and it is not.
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
ronsch

If Stephen truly did mean "tomorrow" that would be Wednesday based on the time he posted.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
If Stephen truly did mean "tomorrow" that would be Wednesday based on the time he posted.
He posted at 9:21PM PDT Monday. That was Tuesday in the Eastern time zone, but it was Monday in the Pacific time zone where TiVoStephen posted.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #29
LisaJaco

I am not entirely sure if this needs its own thread but I'm am so confused.

We've been waiting for ages for TiVo to offer On Demand and now not sure if we should go for the XL or the Elite. There's about $150 in price difference, not that much if you spread it over the life of five years or so, plus we are getting a so-called "discount" of $100 off of life time.

The grand total for the Elite & life time is $843.73.

Grand total for XL & life time is $693.73.

Any input? Maybe we should look into ordering through Amazon to save on tax money since we are CA residence. Any input? Thank you. Sorry if htis is in the wrong area.

I forgot to add that the tivo rep said he'd throw in 3 months of Hulu plus since I was such an outstanding character. : )
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #30
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Do you do a lot of PPV versus free VOD with your Comcast box?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote