TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
MikeekiM
Palindromer

I just ordered a new DirecTV TiVo... Did I do right?

It felt good at first... But now I am questioning myself...

I have an HR20, an HR21, and a SD DirecTiVo...

I am replacing the SD DirecTiVo, and it seemed a natural to just go with an HD version of the same box...

But now I am wondering... What is the word on the new HD DirecTiVo? Can I hook an external drive to it to expand the capacity? Is the DirecTiVo still "all that"?

Or should I have added an DirecTV HD-DVR (whatever the latest version is)?

My kids love the TiVo interface...but they are young and can handle change just fine...

I am actually fine with the DirecTV HD-DVRs to be honest...

Can anyone provide me some perspective here?

I think that as long as I don't open the box, I can return it for another DVR...so I don't think I have done any permanent damage...

Thanks!
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The THR22, an HR22 with the TiVo UI, supports an external hard disk for expansion. It is a fine product, with the familiar TiVo UI. Many people, myself included, find it more responsive than the DirecTV-Plus UI. If you ordered the new DirecTV TiVo, I expect you'll be happy with it. But it does lack a number of features of the HRxx series, such as streaming to a PC or iPad, whole-home viewing, some advanced PPV features. If you don't care about those, then don't worry.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Thanks Steve!

I already have two DirecTV HD-DVRs, so I can get some of those "missing" features from those receivers I suppose...

After thinking about it some more, I think I *may* have done a good thing... I hope someone knows what I am about to ask...

I have all three DVRs in an AV cabinet... And because they are co-located, I need to be able to address all three independently. I know that the HR-20/HR-21 use the same remote code, but one of them can be configured to be configured to be independently addressable...

If I got a 3rd, my guess is that I would be SOL...

I am HOPEFUL that the new HD DirecTiVo can be addressed independent of the HR-20 and the HR-21 so that I can continue to have all three co-located...

Anyone know this?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, you can do this. The boxes support multiple sets of remote codes. I have my HR21 and THR22 in the same closet.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Yes, you can do this. The boxes support multiple sets of remote codes. I have my HR21 and THR22 in the same closet.
But do you think I can run 3 of these boxes in the same closet?

An HR20, an HR21 and a THR22?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, I think you can. See http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=154302 The THR22 supports at least the default and first alternate HRxx codeset.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Very nice! I'll wait for my "package" to arrive, and will report back my experience...

Mike
Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Edmund
Remote Czar

Yes, just like the HR dvrs, THR22's each have access to 8 IR codesets, theres no address zero like on old tivos.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
MikeekiM
Palindromer

What is this $5/mo TiVo charge I keep hearing about?

I currently have a TiVo (albeit an SD TiVo), and two HD-DVRs (HR20/HR21), and I currently pay the $8/mo DVR fee...

Do I actually get hit with another $5/mo as a result of getting this new box? I don't understand the logic. I am replacing a TiVo for a TiVo and I am not currently getting hit for the $5/mo today...
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, you will get hit with the $5 fee, unless you have had Lifetime service. This was part of the contract to create the new TiVo.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
jdavy

Steve,

I am thinking about getting a HD-TIVO again. I had tivo then DTV said they would not support my HR10 so I had to get their box. I have 4 HR21/22s in the house. How do you like the new tivo? Does it have the netflix and amazon features? Do I need for the tivo to be connected to the internet? Can I set it up via wifi? A lot of question I know but I am trying to decide if I want to deal with DTV. They will give me $250 toward new boxes but I have to commit to another 2 years. Currently I am out of contract.

Thanks,

James
jdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I like the THR22 - essentially it is what people asked for, an HR10 upgraded to get the new HD channels. No Netflix or Amazon support - DirecTV doesn't offer those as they are competition. But none of the streaming features from the HRxx boxes are there either, nor can you stream to PC. If it were strictly up to me, I would choose an HR24 or HR34 over the THR22, but my wife is the principal TV consumer in our household and she has stated a strong preference for the TiVo UI. I do admit that the UI is faster than the HRxx boxes.

The box does not need to be connected to the Internet, but you lose some features if not. You can use DirecTV's Cinema Connection Kit or a generic WiFi bridge to connect to the box's Ethernet port.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
PacMan3000

Hey Steve,

Do you happen to know how many hours of recording the THR22 can hold (both HD and standard) compared to both the HR20 and HR21? I've been looking all over the Internet and cannot find this answer/comparison.
PacMan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't know offhand. It should be the same as for an HR22, or close enough. It has a 500GB drive. I think the HR21 came with a 320GB drive (I replaced mine with 750GB), don't recall what the HR20 came with (I have one of those too, but deactivated.)

DirecTV's web site says "up to 400 hours" but clearly that's SD.