TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
catfan64

Elite 1000 hrs?

Am I missing something here? I just got an Elite, and it shows a capacity of 318 HD hrs, or 2774 SD hrs. I beilve it has a 2 TB hard drive. I keep seeing this ad from Tivo, that it has 1000 hrs. If they are talking about SD, why wouldn't they say 2700 hrs. If they are talking about HD hrs, why am I only getting 318 hrs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elite_Gorilla_728x90.jpg (12.8 KB, 97 views)
catfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Odd.... I have never seen that banner...

Tivos own page lists 300 hours:

2 terabytes of recording capacity provides up to 300 hours of HD programming

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-pr...ite/index.html
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

They are not claiming 1000 hours of HD content. If you only recorded SD content which uses up about 1/3 or less of the space that HD would use, you could get 1000 hours of recordings.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfan64 View Post
Am I missing something here? I just got an Elite, and it shows a capacity of 318 HD hrs, or 2774 SD hrs. I beilve it has a 2 TB hard drive. I keep seeing this ad from Tivo, that it has 1000 hrs. If they are talking about SD, why wouldn't they say 2700 hrs. If they are talking about HD hrs, why am I only getting 318 hrs?
It sounds like they are using a realistic number for a combination of HD and SD recordings. But if all SD it would be over 2700 hours or if all HD it would be over 300 hours of content. And of course that is dependent on the bitrates of the recordings, so it could actually be more hours or less hours.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
catfan64

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101
They are not claiming 1000 hours of HD content. If you only recorded SD content which uses up about 1/3 or less of the space that HD would use, you could get 1000 hours of recordings.
According to MY Elite, it says over 2700 hrs of SD content, so if they were speaking of SD, why would they only say 1000 hrs. I'm not debating how many hours I can record on my Elite, just noting that it is strange, that they have an ad that says "1000 hours". If they were assuming all HD content, they should have said 300 hours. If they were assuming any SD content, why not say up to 2700 hrs, or over 2000 hrs, depending on programming type? A car might be able to get 35 MPG on the highway, in perfect conditions, but you are VERY unlikely to get that mileage on a regular basis, but they always throw in the 35 MPG in the advertisements.
catfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfan64 View Post
According to MY Elite, it says over 2700 hrs of SD content, so if they were speaking of SD, why would they only say 1000 hrs. I'm not debating how many hours I can record on my Elite, just noting that it is strange, that they have an ad that says "1000 hours". If they were assuming all HD content, they should have said 300 hours. If they were assuming any SD content, why not say up to 2700 hrs, or over 2000 hrs, depending on programming type? A car might be able to get 35 MPG on the highway, in perfect conditions, but you are VERY unlikely to get that mileage on a regular basis, but they always throw in the 35 MPG in the advertisements.
They are probaly specifying recording SD at Medium quality. That would be just over 1000 hours. To verify that, just go to Settings and Record Quality.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
They are probaly specifying recording SD at Medium quality. That would be just over 1000 hours. To verify that, just go to Settings and Record Quality.
There is no recording quality option on an Elite. It only records digital channels and the bitrate can't be changed for those since the box does not do any encoding like it would from analog channels. Analog channels are the only ones that have a recording quality setting. Only the two tuner S4 boxes have that. They encode the analog recordings to digital.

The 1000 hour number must be a realistic combination of HD and SD recordings that a person can expect to get.

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-07-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
There is no recording quality option on an Elite. It only records digital channels and the bitrate can't be changed for those since the box does not do any encoding like it would from analog channels. Analog channels are the only ones that have a recording quality setting. Only the two tuner S4 boxes have that. They encode the analog recordings to digital.

The 1000 hour number must be a realistic combination of HD and SD recordings that a person can expect to get.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the Elite did away with that capability. Does that mean that the Elite doesn't work at all without a CableCard?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the Elite did away with that capability. Does that mean that the Elite doesn't work at all without a CableCard?
Yes. It requires a cable card for proper use.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'm wondering from the numbers if it was just leftover copy/ad concept from a Premiere XL.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'm wondering from the numbers if it was just leftover copy/ad concept from a Premiere XL.
Those numbers wouldn't match either for SD hours on the XL. The XL shows 1375 SD hours on the SYS info screen.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

People seem to be forgetting that digital is SD also and that most digital is SD.

Quote:
The Elite didn't do away with it so much as it has absolutely no reason to incorporate it considering that the Elite can only use a digital input signal and the recording quality settings are only for analog recordings.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The Elite didn't do away with it so much as it has absolutely no reason to incorporate it considering that the Elite can only use a digital input signal and the recording quality settings are only for analog recordings.
What I meant by doing away with that feature is that the Elite cannot tune analog signals like the rest of the Tivo boxes. Yes, many cable providers only transmit digital signals now but some, like mine, include the analog equivalents for Extended Basic programming. Always nice to have options.