TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
bobster954

Channel 401 SIGN OFF 4 months now, what to do?

so I called tivo, they fixed a ton of channel mistakes (took about 6 calls and a few emails til escalated). Once they finally believed me, they fixed it...all but one of the 40 channels that said announced or sign off.

channel 401, hd florida sports channel.

this was dec 2011...

I have called again, nothing happened.
I tried their online channel issue page a few times, nothing ever came from that, although the form has no place to explain the issue. It is mostly about a show messed up.

I wrote margaret at tivo on the forums recently, to follow up on previous tries since dec 2011..

so now it is april 2012..

401 is sign off....zap2it has 401 as sign off also. I can watch it, but the guide says 'sign off' all day, all night.

what would you do to get this fixed cause I have no clue other than just pay for a channel I can never know what is on it...and certainly can never record on it.

grrrr... margate florida, comcast 33063
bobster954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
a68oliver

I take it this is a cable only local sports channel.

Are there program listings anywhere else? Do you know for a fact that a schedule is available?

When I worked at Comcast Indianapolis many many years ago, we provided a program schedule for our local origination channel to Tribune so they could put it in our locally produced Cable Magazine. However, there are probably many locally produced channels that don't plan far enough ahead to publish a schedule at all.

I would try contacting the channel itself, if you can figure out exactly who that is. See if they do have a published schedule. If they do, then ask them to contact Tribune to sort out the problem.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I take it this is a cable only local sports channel.

Are there program listings anywhere else? Do you know for a fact that a schedule is available?

When I worked at Comcast Indianapolis many many years ago, we provided a program schedule for our local origination channel to Tribune so they could put it in our locally produced Cable Magazine. However, there are probably many locally produced channels that don't plan far enough ahead to publish a schedule at all.

I would try contacting the channel itself, if you can figure out exactly who that is. See if they do have a published schedule. If they do, then ask them to contact Tribune to sort out the problem.
It's Fox Sports Florida. A schedule is available on their website. It looks like they aren't providing that info to Tribune so calling Tivo is going to do no good.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster954 View Post
so I called tivo, they fixed a ton of channel mistakes (took about 6 calls and a few emails til escalated). Once they finally believed me, they fixed it...all but one of the 40 channels that said announced or sign off.

channel 401, hd florida sports channel.

this was dec 2011...

I have called again, nothing happened.
I tried their online channel issue page a few times, nothing ever came from that, although the form has no place to explain the issue. It is mostly about a show messed up.

I wrote margaret at tivo on the forums recently, to follow up on previous tries since dec 2011..

so now it is april 2012..

401 is sign off....zap2it has 401 as sign off also. I can watch it, but the guide says 'sign off' all day, all night.

what would you do to get this fixed cause I have no clue other than just pay for a channel I can never know what is on it...and certainly can never record on it.

grrrr... margate florida, comcast 33063
you should send a message directly to Tribune via zap2it. It's what I did under similar circumstances.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I have the same issue with Fox Sports Texas on their digital SD channel. Fortunately, the HD version of that channel has no problem.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
bobster954

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
you should send a message directly to Tribune via zap2it. It's what I did under similar circumstances.
I have sent mail to tribune before on this, tivo said they were gonna fix it..yeesh.

zap2its forums is destroyed by hackers.

If tivo is going to sell a receiver...and sell subscription to a service, they should at the VERY LEAST give us a way to deal with problems on THEIR END.

tivos form for channel issues is unusable for this particular problem and my use of it has gotten nowhere.

they should at least have a thing saying 'if you have a problem with the channel guide information that you pay us for, please send an email to 'such and such' for an immediate fix.

lame.

Why do I have to spend time going through websites looking for ways to contact tribune or zap2it or whatever for something I just paid 500.00 to use from tivo? Frustrated.

I went through a number of months were almost half of my HD channels all said 'to be announced'...only when I demanded a refund did they do something and got all but 4 or 5 fixed....and they still remain too, but I don't watch them.

/rant off.

sigh.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
I have sent mail to tribune before on this, tivo said they were gonna fix it..yeesh.

zap2its forums is destroyed by hackers.

If tivo is going to sell a receiver...and sell subscription to a service, they should at the VERY LEAST give us a way to deal with problems on THEIR END.

tivos form for channel issues is unusable for this particular problem and my use of it has gotten nowhere.

they should at least have a thing saying 'if you have a problem with the channel guide information that you pay us for, please send an email to 'such and such' for an immediate fix.

lame.

Why do I have to spend time going through websites looking for ways to contact tribune or zap2it or whatever for something I just paid 500.00 to use from tivo? Frustrated.

I went through a number of months were almost half of my HD channels all said 'to be announced'...only when I demanded a refund did they do something and got all but 4 or 5 fixed....and they still remain too, but I don't watch them.

/rant off.

sigh.
Jeez! It was just a suggestion. I thought you were interested in getting the problem fixed, not in ranting. This is after all the "TiVo Help Center".

What I find interesting is that zap2it does have schedule information for FSNFL (Ch. 39) but just "SIGN OFF" for FSNFLHD (Ch. 401).

I'm not sure what you expect TiVo to do directly. Maybe keep rattling Tribune's cage until it gets fixed but that is about it. I'm sure at some level, they are even more peeved at Tribune than you are at them. I would be willing to bet that they pay far more than $500 every month for program information.

I have submitted an "Incorrect Channel/Lineup Information" form to zap2it for zipcode 33063, Comcast with the following text in the comment field:

Quote:
There is no program information for channel 401, FSNFLHD. it just has 3 8-hour blocks of "SIGN OFF" every day, 6AM, 2PM, and 10PM. Since this is just the HD version of FSNFL, it should have the same information as channel 39.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
No one at TiVo, Inc. has any control over this.

Quote:
The problem is not on their end.

Quote:
tivos form for channel issues is unusable for this particular problem
How so?

Quote:
That would be foolish in the extreme, since they have no control over this issue and certainly could not provide an immediate fix.

Quote:
You did not pay TiVo for this (not directly, anyway). You are paying your CATV company for this. It is the data they are providing to Tribune that is incorrect. Your beef is with them, and they are the only ones who can fix it. Of course, you can (and evidently have) notify TiVo, but all they can do is in turn notify Tribune their data is in error. At that point, there is nothing Tribune can do directly, either. They must in turn notify the CATV company of the issue, who then can fix it, if they care.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
bobster954

not ranting at you all, ranting at the system.
Tivo never told me that my subscription fee included me doing all the leg work for a bad lineup. That should be upfront.

If they offer the lineup service, they should at least say 'we are not responsible for it and call 'this number' to get it resolved.

I have written tribune but never got a response. I did write zap2it and never got a response. I did write tivo and called them, but never got a resolution.

Tivo is the service I pay for this system I would think they would add a big disclaimer when you pay for it.

As a consumer all I know is I paid for a service. When that service failed I spent a month or so trying to get my channels back. I got most back but their are still problems.
Tivo never said to call or write zap2it or tribune.
Zap2it and tribune never write back.

so as a consumer I have to play some kind of 'get through the brick wall' and I do not remember that on the fine print (though I could have missed it).

Today I tracked down some emails for tribune and sent my letters again. Did the same for zap2it. And sent a letter to margret at tivo.

I have done this many times and got nowhere.

If there was an actual process that tivo recommends as my service provider I would follow it to a tee. All they do is say write us and I do...and never receive an answer.

if you have seen my posts from the past where some 40 channels all hd, all said 'to be announced' you can see the weeks of phone calls and fun that was...unfortunately, this was all part of that problem from dec 2011...and it is just annoying.

Tribune, if it is their fault, should have something set up so we can at least directly write to them..and they should tell tivo how to let us know.

so frustrating to not know what is going to be on, no way to record it....
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

It seems that you now understand that TiVo cannot fix this for you, and can only be an advocate for corrections (lets be real about disclaimers- they could have a million of them plastered all over their website and we all know they would not be read- did you read your tivo service agreement?). Not everyone appreciates being corrected, cablecos included.

I would contact your local cable company and ask for $$, you clearly have documentation as to your use of this channel.

In addition, you mentioned that you can watch this channel. While this is still more work than should be necessary, I believe you can set up manual recordings for channel/repeating dates/time (figuring you are looking for say the 11pm recap, in part). Painful, yes, but it will help in the meantime.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
lpwcomp

I received the following response from zap2it:
Quote:
Dear Zap2it user,

Thank you for the updated information in your email below. We have forwarded your email to our database team who will work to resolve this issue in a timely manner.

Thank you for being a user of Zap2it TV Listings -- we will continue to work hard to provide the most up to date listings for you.
We'll see. I hope it gets fixed for you. It might be necessary to contact Comcast.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 04-10-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
bobster954

well, was not getting upset with anyone here, sorry if it seemed to come off that way. I was just shouting at the wind with tivo.

This all started in dec with a good 40 channels 'to be announced' or 'signed off'
Now there are just two announced and two sign offs.
two months of calling comcast, tivo, etc until someone at tivo escalated it...the person who got it saw all the channels (most of my HD ones) and took care of most of it in 3 days...I think at the end of feb.

So today, I tried to take the advice of people on here and went for broke. I honestly want to find out exactly who is responsible for channel issues so I can go to them without wasting anyone else's time.

so I called tribune...quite a lot of calls to different numbers, switched to departments. Finally was told that if there was an issue it is with comcast or tivo. They get info from comcast, if it is wrong it is comcast's fault. If tivo gets it wrong it is tivo's fault. Basically they told me not to bother them about it as they have nothing to do with it.

so I called comcast...(real fun too)...so many operators, but finally got through to someone..well...sort of someone.... They say their lineup on their site is fine as is the comcast boxes, it is not their problem and should not bother calling them since it is tribune's fault, not theirs.

So I called tivo with the remaining daylight hours...phone reps only wanted one thing...for me to reset the tivo unit, reset channels, go to different zip codes and then back again...ridiculous. Same thing in dec, jan, and feb over the issue.

Tivo said it is comcast's fault and not theirs.

They have no record of the months of phone calls and escalations (she said due to being escalated maybe moved to higher ups)....

so...tribune told me to go away, comcast said it was tribunes fault, tivo said it was comcast's and tribune's fault.

I also wrote aletter through zap2it in the hopes something would work, but the letter form plainly stated it would go to tribune...which I already was told they were not going to do anything about it.

I also, at the end of this entire odyssey today came across a tivo 'live chat' help person. So I just gave them the channel and the sign off.
She checked and said 'zap2it' shows it to, I will escalate to the lineup team.

I could kiss her.

so, I did all that was humanely possible and took parts of the whole day....again...and every single person I spoke to basically said something different and I still have not found who is responsible for the channel lineup that someone is paying for.

If tivo's service does not include sub to the channel lineup and someone else is offering it, then they are not responsible. Tribune offers it, so it seems, but they say everyone else is responsible..everyone but them.
Comcast is....well... comcast.
I do not put it past comcast to purposely mess things up though.

So I tried.
I paid a lot of money and still have a few channels messed up.

I would pay for a proper lineup. The other two channels that are 'to be announced' I do not watch. Nor do I watch the other 'sign off' channel.

I tried.
I failed.

I can think of no one else to call, no one else to ask. Apparently HD channle 401, florida sports, is not available on tivo guide. period.

I do have an option for a free non dvr box from comcast, but I think I would need another outlet for it..not sure.

I spend a lot of hours over a course of a few months on the earlier issue and this was the last of it never resolved.

so, giving up for a few more months. Won't bother you all with it anymore.

As a consumer I feel cheated of my time though. Someone should be clearly listed as a responsible party for the lineup and as a customer of tivo I thought they would be.

unfortunately, lol, there is no one in charge of it...sigh.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
a68oliver

Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. It certainly sounds like you have put a lot of effort into it.

However, I don't see that you have contacted Fox Sports Florida. It is in their interest (and their advertisers) that you watch their programming. Since they build the original schedule, they should be interested in it getting distributed as widely as possible.

They have to give it to someone else. I don't know if they send it directly to Tribune or if it goes through Comcast to get to Tribune. But everybody else has to get what Fox Sports first puts together.

See the Contact Link at the bottom of http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/

Politely explain how much you enjoy their programming but can't seem to get the schedule. I would think someone there might be able to track down the problem.

Good Luck!
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
bobster954

Quote:
Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. It certainly sounds like you have put a lot of effort into it.

However, I don't see that you have contacted Fox Sports Florida. It is in their interest (and their advertisers) that you watch their programming. Since they build the original schedule, they should be interested in it getting distributed as widely as possible.

They have to give it to someone else. I don't know if they send it directly to Tribune or if it goes through Comcast to get to Tribune. But everybody else has to get what Fox Sports first puts together.

Politely explain how much you enjoy their programming but can't seem to get the schedule. I would think someone there might be able to track down the problem.

Good Luck!
that is an awesome idea. Never even thought of that.
might be the way to go from the very start from now on...they do pay and might be a bit miffed at that.

will try that out...awesome idea...!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
jrtroo
User

That is a good idea.

In the meantime, my understanding is you should be able to set up manual recordings, which may be helpful to capture, say, the daily sports summary. But, this may be too onerous if you are looking to record your favorite MLB or soccer teams each day.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:

Good Luck!
Actually, he is getting the schedule(channel 39), it's just not there on the HD channel. Since it's there even on the HD channel on their boxes, it means that the local Comcast office is not providing the correct information to Tribune.

Now that Tribune has acknowledged it, if it isn't fixed by the beginning of next week, my next step would be to send a note to Comcast corporate via We_Can_Help@comcast.com

Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
lpwcomp

It occurred to me that there is at least one other possibility:

Tribune was never notified that the HD channel was operational and is still treating it as a place holder.

Something else I noticed - there are some differences between the schedule that FSN reports for FS Florida and what zap2it reports.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
bobster954

Quote:
It occurred to me that there is at least one other possibility:

Tribune was never notified that the HD channel was operational and is still treating it as a place holder.

Something else I noticed - there are some differences between the schedule that FSN reports for FS Florida and what zap2it reports.
I contacted foxsports and explained the info. The guy took it all down and was going to look into it.

I notice a lot of channels have the wrong info, but usually only late at night, which I can see as understandable.

most of the time the channels are okay though.

I think comcast purposely makes this harder than it needs to be.

for this particular issue though, it is different. At the same time the sign off appeared a large majority of the HD channels in the 300s and a few elsewhere, all changed to 'to be announced'....at least 35 I use and a lot more I do not.

tivo higher level techs finally got hold of me on that issue and pushed an update early to my system and that got it fixed....all but a couple sign offs...

but it all happened at exactly the same time/day....

and comcast changed their lineup as of jan 1st (at least a lot of it)...tivo seemed to think someone blew something coming out of comcast that made all those channels freak out.

thats about all I know.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #19
bobster954

from the guys at foxsports...

Quote:
Hi Bob,

Following up on our e-mail, I notified our programming department and they said they were going to reach out to Trib to help solve the issue. Tribune responded that indeed, there was an error on their end and they are hoping to rectify the issue shortly. Stay tuned as it sounds like your problem could be fixed sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for your patience and be sure to watch Rays on Sun Sports all season long,
so the way to get a channel fixed is to talk to the channel. Tribune told me to go away, not their issue...this guy makes one call and it is being fixed...wow
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
from the guys at foxsports...

so the way to get a channel fixed is to talk to the channel. Tribune told me to go away, not their issue...this guy makes one call and it is being fixed...wow
One way or another, it has been fixed, at least on zap2it. Strangely, they have also changed the call letters for 401 to FSFLHD2. Might take a day or two to get to your TiVo.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #21
bobster954

Quote:
One way or another, it has been fixed, at least on zap2it. Strangely, they have also changed the call letters for 401 to FSFLHD2. Might take a day or two to get to your TiVo.
holy jumping bejeebus!!!
Just got home and you are right.
They did change the call letters and oh my god, I can record the panthers and marlins games in HD...and even know when they are on!!!!

I only got my HD tv when I got the tivo, I think in august...so only a couple months before I lost a majority of the HD channels in the guide....for about 2 months...and now the final one is fixed.

fianlly....wow....shocked.....gonna turn on the panthers game soon!!!! yea!!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
lpwcomp

And there was much rejoicing throughout the land.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #23
bobster954

Quote:
And there was much rejoicing throughout the land.
your mention of the name change...I wonder if that was what happened across the board...causing to be announced and the sign offs across so many channels.

comcast had set up changes for jan 1st and sent it around when i lost all those channels.

maybe that is the issue for all of that...name changes....the guide cannot get info (or tribune) for channels that do not exist.

interesting issue.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #24
lpwcomp

Out of curiosity, I checked a couple of other providers. DirecTV(Miami) doesn't have FSNFLHD at all. Both Dish(Miami) and U-verse(Miami) have it - with the same schedule you had - SIGN OFF all day. None of them has FSFLHD2 but U-verse has FSFLHD with the correct schedule. This situation is totally confusing, but at least now you have something that works.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #25
bobster954

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I checked a couple of other providers. DirecTV(Miami) doesn't have FSNFLHD at all. Both Dish(Miami) and U-verse(Miami) have it - with the same schedule you had - SIGN OFF all day. None of them has FSFLHD2 but U-verse has FSFLHD with the correct schedule. This situation is totally confusing, but at least now you have something that works.
it is strange.
I did notice when I went through all the channels after most got fixed, and only checked 'on' the ones I wanted on my list of channels that a lot had different names than normal...and mostly hd channels.

not many people have direct tv boxes from tivo I am sure, not sure about u-verse...

I guess once in a while they clean up the channel names and go for it...but mess everyone up when they do it.

at least we learned to call the channel in question and they will make sure it gets done the next day....calling anyone else and one could wait for 4 months....lol
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
a68oliver

Quote:
at least we learned to call the channel in question and they will make sure it gets done the next day....calling anyone else and one could wait for 4 months....lol
Great news! I am glad it worked out for you.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #27
Bighouse
200 Club Member

I had a similar problem and fixed it by revisiting the guided setup. When my cable guys installed my cable card the chose the wrong lineup. By deselecting the correct lineup my "to be announced"s are now correct guide data!
I discovered their error by looking at the different cable lineups available for my zip code at the zap2it program lineup website. There were a LOT of missing channels on the "digital" lineup at zap2it, which show up as "to be announced" on my TiVo program guide though the channel itself gets listed. When I told it I had the "digital rebuild" signal (which the cable guys knew nothing about) the zap2it list then had all my missing channels showing with all the relevant complete program guide!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #28
Gadfly

I don't get it. Why Tivo shouldn't have done all the leg work instead of the poor customer? This is what we pay for anyway.

The issue is not whose fault it is. The issue is once Tivo is notified about the problem, it is their job to follow up and get it resolved. If a customer could fix the problem without knowing anybody and who's who, sure could they and in a much shorter time and with a lot hassle.

Too many people on this forum drink from Tivo's Kool-Aid. This is disgusting.
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote