TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
anthonyd46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Series 2 DT Do I have any other options?

Hi,

I have a series 2 DT which i have had for about 3-4 years now or so. The setup i had was line coming from the wall into a splitter which splits one end into the RF IN on the tivo and the other end into the Cable in on the cable box. I then have the AV cables going from the cable box to the tivo and then av cables from the tivo to the tv. This setup worked fine for the last 3 years. Now since the analog tuner is not avaliable anymore because my cable company has switched to digital i can now only get the digitial tuner. This eliminates the dual functionality of the device since the analog tuner is not avaliable. So my only option sticking with the series 2 dt would be to record one show and not being able to switch to anything else.



So i look at what my options were other wise. There is the Tivo Premiere which cost $239.99 new or $199.99 factory reconditied. However with that i would need to get a cablecard which cost anywhere between $9.95 and $39.95 to install it plus $2.95 a month service charge. This seems like alot of money just to keep the tivo as a dual tuner this isnt even inlcuding the monthly service charge from tivo that i pay. The other option is to switch to the cablevision dvr and cancel tivo all together which would give me no cost for the dvr box and $9.95 a month for the service. However, i hate the cablevision dvr the menus are very non user friendly and the thing has some kind of energy mode where if you dont touch the buttons every so often it shuts off. However, im not sure i can justify spending $239.99 + install fee + additonal service charge just to stay with tivo. Is it worth it? Is the premiere my only option? No way to get the DT i have already to just use two tuners? Let me know thanks.
anthonyd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Posts: 6,794
Cable cards are used in place of the cable box which you are already using.

Get rid of the Series 2 Dual Tuner, get a Series 3 (or 4), tell the cable company you want your TiVo set up with a dual tuner cable card, and that's what you'll pay the monthly rental fee on from now on (in place of a cable box).

Discontinue your service on the Series 2 DT machine, and pay for service on the Series 3/4.

If this is in your budget, it's the way to go.

The DT machine's onboard tuner is analog and analog only, and so it's now apparently useless on your cable system. The TiVo can also not use two cable boxes at once, so there's no way for it to be a dual tuner machine any more. Not if analog cable has gone "poof". (The dual tuner aspect always depended on the analog tuner working, and there being analog cable channels for it to tune.)
__________________
Crisp binoculars on a Wednesday.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
XMorpheus3000
Registered User
 
XMorpheus3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Worth, FL
Posts: 7
I'm having the same problem as the original poster but I'm broke and don't have the option of getting a series 3 or 4 tivo. So does that mean I'm pretty much screwed and that there's nothing I can do? I was hoping there would be like maybe an attachment or something (something similar to the digital converter box) so that it could be used as a dual tuner again. This pretty much sucks because now everyone that had a series 2 DT basically is just going to throw it out and buy a new one? I don't know about everyone else, but I paid good money for mine and I don't want to just throw it out (obviously no one is going to buy it from me.)
XMorpheus3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,896
Pardon me for not reading through the whole postings, but thought I would add maybe you could record one channel off of your cable with a adapter provided by the cable company, and then record on the other channel using a digital converter box for antenna TV? All the channel lineup wouldn't be correct and you probable would have to leave the digital converter on the channel that you wanted to record, as you couldn't change it. As the Tivo would be set up to adjust the cable box. But I probably don't know what I am talking about, as I haven't ever used a Tivo with anything but antenna.

Probably wouldn't work, but thought I would throw it out there to muddy up the waters.

I have used a Dual tuner Series 2 with a dish TV digital converter box, but only for one tuner. And the channel line was wrong, and you couldn't tune the dash channels.(those antenna channels such a '6.2')
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMorpheus3000 View Post
I'm having the same problem as the original poster but I'm broke and don't have the option of getting a series 3 or 4 tivo. So does that mean I'm pretty much screwed and that there's nothing I can do? I was hoping there would be like maybe an attachment or something (something similar to the digital converter box) so that it could be used as a dual tuner again. This pretty much sucks because now everyone that had a series 2 DT basically is just going to throw it out and buy a new one? I don't know about everyone else, but I paid good money for mine and I don't want to just throw it out (obviously no one is going to buy it from me.)
Unfortunately, that's the way it is. There is no external device to restore dual tuner functionality in this situation. It's outdated hardware that is obsolete.

Think of it like a cell phone. You can't expect to get internet access on an old cell phone that is only capable of text messaging.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
. It's outdated hardware that is obsolete.
I don't think I would go that far. Otherwise why would people pay $250 for a Dual tuner Series two with lifetime on ebay? But I understand what you are saying. You have to have a analog cable to really make a DT series 2 worth using.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
hdog
hdog
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 26
way to use both a dta and a cable box with a dual tuner?

I have the same issue now with Comcast in the Chicago area. I had a DT recording
only on local channels, e.g. 2 and 7. I have other tivos recording other stuff with cable boxes and dta's. In April, goodbye analog signal.

If you had analog signals, Tivo will show you how to use a DT with a cable box, so you can use one tuner for the analog from the rf input and use av input from the cable box separately.
<http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1382>

Now, with all digital, as pointed out in this thread, you lose the dual recording capability, and you still need some kind of cable adapter for a single channel.

In my case since I only record local channels (and actually never 'change' the channel so I avoid all that 1 minute overlap stuff between channels, one always tuned to 2, the other always tuned to 7). So, what might work is connecting a Comcast dta always tuned to channel 2, and then convert it's rf output on channel 3 or 4 to the cable channel 2 frequency for input to the tivo rf. Then a cable box for the 2nd input to the tivo av input. So tivo uses the rf for channel 2, and any other request to the av input from the cable box. In my case usually only channel 7.

To save money, I guess you could use a 2nd dta tuned to channel 7, run the output into an old vcr tuned to channel 3/4 and run its av output into the av input on the DT tivo.
Don't know if the tivo setup would understand a 'dta to av' connection.

I think the key is finding something that will convert the output of a Comcast dta to the desired 'tunable' channel on the DT tivo. Most rf modulators I find that will do this only 'insert' onto higher cable or uhf frequencies, rather than my desired channel 2.
Here's one:
<http://www.cablestogo.com/powerreviews/pwr/product-reviews/9969/Devices/Cables-To-Go/p/41164p-41164-Agile-RCA-Audio-Video-RF-Modulator.html>

Of course, this Rube Goldberg scheme would be quite cumbersome, but being a retired engineer, I think about these things while wishing that tivo would let me transfer my DT lifetime to an HD box.

For now, I'll just get one more dta and lose the 2nd recording capability.

Comments?
Thanks.
hdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog View Post
I have the same issue now with Comcast in the Chicago area. I had a DT recording
only on local channels, e.g. 2 and 7. I have other tivos recording other stuff with cable boxes and dta's. In April, goodbye analog signal.

If you had analog signals, Tivo will show you how to use a DT with a cable box, so you can use one tuner for the analog from the rf input and use av input from the cable box separately.
<http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1382>

Now, with all digital, as pointed out in this thread, you lose the dual recording capability, and you still need some kind of cable adapter for a single channel.

In my case since I only record local channels (and actually never 'change' the channel so I avoid all that 1 minute overlap stuff between channels, one always tuned to 2, the other always tuned to 7). So, what might work is connecting a Comcast dta always tuned to channel 2, and then convert it's rf output on channel 3 or 4 to the cable channel 2 frequency for input to the tivo rf. Then a cable box for the 2nd input to the tivo av input. So tivo uses the rf for channel 2, and any other request to the av input from the cable box. In my case usually only channel 7.

To save money, I guess you could use a 2nd dta tuned to channel 7, run the output into an old vcr tuned to channel 3/4 and run its av output into the av input on the DT tivo.
Don't know if the tivo setup would understand a 'dta to av' connection.

I think the key is finding something that will convert the output of a Comcast dta to the desired 'tunable' channel on the DT tivo. Most rf modulators I find that will do this only 'insert' onto higher cable or uhf frequencies, rather than my desired channel 2.
Here's one:
<http://www.cablestogo.com/powerreviews/pwr/product-reviews/9969/Devices/Cables-To-Go/p/41164p-41164-Agile-RCA-Audio-Video-RF-Modulator.html>

Of course, this Rube Goldberg scheme would be quite cumbersome, but being a retired engineer, I think about these things while wishing that tivo would let me transfer my DT lifetime to an HD box.

For now, I'll just get one more dta and lose the 2nd recording capability.

Comments?
Thanks.
You can disconnect the jumper from the first tuner (that sticks out the back) to the second tuner, drill an extra hole in the back panel, and mount something like this

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/397866.html

and plug the jumper into it, and you'll have a separate RF input for each tuner, and hook up a coupon box to each.

I suggest you remove the power supply and motherboard before drilling the hole and make sure you've cleaned out all of the shavings before re-installing them.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
hdog
hdog
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 26
@unitron
Cool. I think I'll try this.
I guess I needed to think 'out of the box' :-)
hdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
classicsat
Astute User
 
classicsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario Canada.
Posts: 17,878
Theoretically you could do that, so log as there remains an analog lineup.

If it were me, I would build a microcontroller to program each of the tuners to the channels I want, rather than what the TiVo thinks.
__________________
Series 2 234 Hr Lifetime.
Window XP and Ubuntu Linux on my PCs.
Watching more and more in HD direct now.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog View Post
@unitron
Cool. I think I'll try this.
I guess I needed to think 'out of the box' :-)
On further reflection, you may still run into the problem of not being able to tell the TiVo which tuner to use when.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Slicker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 86
In the same situation. Had used the cable directly into the RF connector on the Series 2 DT box, which worked fine for local channels (which were the primary primetime conflicts.) For now, I've got a DTA connected to it, with it set to channel 4. As long as I record only that channel, and set up the recordings to the channel 4 cable input, I can record with the second tuner that way. But what if I want to record something on another channel. I could, of course, do manual recording. The problem comes with the recording being labeled something other than what it is. The show may be Big Bang Theory, but it's going to say something else.

I have no issue with going digital if it's going to give me more bang for the buck. But why can't the local channels, which you should be able to go get OTA, stay analog? For the loss of function, I get what? Another Golf channel? More Baseball? Bad enough they interfere with Tivo functions when they run over their timeslot. But not everyone watches sports, and those that do can tune to ESPN, or one of the many sports channels.

How many tuners do I have to have that are pointless? A TV with PIP doesn't work right. I doubt anyone has a VCR or who spent the big bucks to get a recordable DVD machine when they first came out can use the tuners they came with.

I was searching for a way for the Series 2 box to run two converters, but it seems that is not possible.

Oh, and BTW, if you want to use OnDemand, although Comcast claimed to have a relationship with TiVo that would make this possible with CableCards, a year after that announcement, it's still not possible.

Considering the amount of money I have invested in older Tivo boxes, and the amount I pay to the cable company, you would think a workaround would be possible. But then, what do I know? I'm just a customer.

Let me transfer my lifetime subscriptions to a new box, and I'd find a way to make the investment. But I've already got a Series 1 Sony box that has a lifetime on it that I can no longer use.

Last edited by Slicker : 03-15-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: add the last paragraph
Slicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
[quote=Slicker;8996558...

I have no issue with going digital if it's going to give me more bang for the buck. But why can't the local channels, which you should be able to go get OTA, stay analog? For the loss of function, I get what? ...[/QUOTE]

Do you mean why can't the locals stay analog on the cable or over the air?

As for what you get in exchange for the cable company dumping analog, it's not about what you get, it's about what the cable company gets.

What you get is screwed.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
buscuitboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 693
I sort of ran into a similar situation with my S2 DT. Although, I thought most cable companies at least kept their local channels analog. Are you sure they got rid of ALL your analog channels? I am with Comcast and while they did go mostly digital, I do still get analog channels 2-26 that my S2DT can easily handle. Therefore, I kept this S2DT in a bedroom and have the exact same setup as the OP.

However, I sort of now consider it a 1.5 tuner DVR; can easily record any analog channel from 2-26, but can then pretty much watch ANY other channel from the converter box. Now, if the TiVo is recording a channel above 26, I can then only watch any channel from 2-26 (locals) since the box is being tied up for recording purposes.

I also have two digital adapter boxes in my basement area as well. At some point, I want to move this S2DT to the basement with a DTA box. However, since the DTAs have RF input/outputs only, I'm gonna have to utilize an old VCR (& keep it on channel 3/4) for its RCA jacks in order to have some sort of semi-dual tuner functionality (like above)

Hey, its better than nothing & a way to extend the life of my S2DT (w/ lifetime), but I guess it also depends on if your cable company eliminated ALL analog channels or kept the locals analog.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
shwru980r
Registered User
 
shwru980r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
In the same situation. Had used the cable directly into the RF connector on the Series 2 DT box, which worked fine for local channels (which were the primary primetime conflicts.) For now, I've got a DTA connected to it, with it set to channel 4. As long as I record only that channel, and set up the recordings to the channel 4 cable input, I can record with the second tuner that way. But what if I want to record something on another channel. I could, of course, do manual recording. The problem comes with the recording being labeled something other than what it is. The show may be Big Bang Theory, but it's going to say something else.

I have no issue with going digital if it's going to give me more bang for the buck. But why can't the local channels, which you should be able to go get OTA, stay analog? For the loss of function, I get what? Another Golf channel? More Baseball? Bad enough they interfere with Tivo functions when they run over their timeslot. But not everyone watches sports, and those that do can tune to ESPN, or one of the many sports channels.

How many tuners do I have to have that are pointless? A TV with PIP doesn't work right. I doubt anyone has a VCR or who spent the big bucks to get a recordable DVD machine when they first came out can use the tuners they came with.

I was searching for a way for the Series 2 box to run two converters, but it seems that is not possible.

Oh, and BTW, if you want to use OnDemand, although Comcast claimed to have a relationship with TiVo that would make this possible with CableCards, a year after that announcement, it's still not possible.

Considering the amount of money I have invested in older Tivo boxes, and the amount I pay to the cable company, you would think a workaround would be possible. But then, what do I know? I'm just a customer.

Let me transfer my lifetime subscriptions to a new box, and I'd find a way to make the investment. But I've already got a Series 1 Sony box that has a lifetime on it that I can no longer use.

The S2DT and the S1 should be able to change the channel on a DTA or cable box with an IR blaster cable, but you're reduced to one tuner on the S2DT.
__________________

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
shwru980r
Registered User
 
shwru980r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I sort of ran into a similar situation with my S2 DT. Although, I thought most cable companies at least kept their local channels analog. Are you sure they got rid of ALL your analog channels? I am with Comcast and while they did go mostly digital, I do still get analog channels 2-26 that my S2DT can easily handle. Therefore, I kept this S2DT in a bedroom and have the exact same setup as the OP.

However, I sort of now consider it a 1.5 tuner DVR; can easily record any analog channel from 2-26, but can then pretty much watch ANY other channel from the converter box. Now, if the TiVo is recording a channel above 26, I can then only watch any channel from 2-26 (locals) since the box is being tied up for recording purposes.

I also have two digital adapter boxes in my basement area as well. At some point, I want to move this S2DT to the basement with a DTA box. However, since the DTAs have RF input/outputs only, I'm gonna have to utilize an old VCR (& keep it on channel 3/4) for its RCA jacks in order to have some sort of semi-dual tuner functionality (like above)

Hey, its better than nothing & a way to extend the life of my S2DT (w/ lifetime), but I guess it also depends on if your cable company eliminated ALL analog channels or kept the locals analog.
I've seen lifetime S2DTs sell for over $200 on ebay. I'd sell the S2DT and buy a lifetime Tivo HD.
__________________

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
buscuitboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 693
Actually, another advantage I have found using my older Series 2 DT with my Comcast full digital box (& something you might want to do) is that I can manually record the OnDemand channel & material if desired. Then share/MRV it to my other two TiVo HDs if needed.

Granted, the program information and title for a newly recorded OnDemand program will simply be titled "OnDemand" and not the actual program's name, but its better than nothing. For the most part, you can't really record the OnDemand channel with newer TiVo HDs (although, I have Comcast cable & a Premiere TiVo and am eagerly awaiting the supposed arrival of the OnDemand channel on these units)

Last edited by buscuitboy : 03-19-2012 at 08:49 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Posts: 6,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Pardon me for not reading through the whole postings, but thought I would add maybe you could record one channel off of your cable with a adapter provided by the cable company, and then record on the other channel using a digital converter box for antenna TV?...
Both are cable boxes.

The term "adapter" is misleading. The DTAs are just cheapo cable boxes.

As mentioned above, Dual Tuner Series 2s weren't made to work with two cable boxes.
__________________
Crisp binoculars on a Wednesday.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Posts: 6,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You can disconnect the jumper from the first tuner (that sticks out the back) to the second tuner, drill an extra hole in the back panel, and mount something like this

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/397866.html

and plug the jumper into it, and you'll have a separate RF input for each tuner, and hook up a coupon box to each.

I suggest you remove the power supply and motherboard before drilling the hole and make sure you've cleaned out all of the shavings before re-installing them.

Ummm...

That adapter is made to allow the use of coaxial RF connector cables and RCA connector cables together, the two types being mated by the adapter.

It doesn't magically allow an RF signal to feed into a device thru an input looking for an RCA cable video feed.

What exactly are you suggesting be done?
__________________
Crisp binoculars on a Wednesday.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Ummm...

That adapter is made to allow the use of coaxial RF connector cables and RCA connector cables together, the two types being mated by the adapter.

It doesn't magically allow an RF signal to feed into a device thru an input looking for an RCA cable video feed.

What exactly are you suggesting be done?
Take the top off of an S2 DT.

You'll see that the tuner whose F connector sticks out the back panel of the TiVo also has an RCA, or phono, jack on the top, and there's a cable plugged into that jack.

That cable goes to the other tuner, and connects its RF input in parallel with the first tuner's RF input. By removing that cable from the jack on the first tuner and using an adapter of the type I indicated, the second tuner's RF input can be accessed separately and independantly, and externally if you drill a hole in the back panel for it.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
Hercules67
TiVo addict
 
Hercules67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Take the top off of an S2 DT.

You'll see that the tuner whose F connector sticks out the back panel of the TiVo also has an RCA, or phono, jack on the top, and there's a cable plugged into that jack.

That cable goes to the other tuner, and connects its RF input in parallel with the first tuner's RF input. By removing that cable from the jack on the first tuner and using an adapter of the type I indicated, the second tuner's RF input can be accessed separately and independantly, and externally if you drill a hole in the back panel for it.
Has someone actually make this work? Do we have testimony to this fact? I would be interested in hearing it or reading about it.

Where I am, Comcast just turned off their Analog signal last night making both of my S2DT 's into single tuner units.... You would think that TIVO would allow me to transfer my 6 plus years of service (or some portion there of) to a newer unit where I can dual tune digitally again.

Are there any other ideas out there?
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Has someone actually make this work? Do we have testimony to this fact? I would be interested in hearing it or reading about it.

Where I am, Comcast just turned off their Analog signal last night making both of my S2DT 's into single tuner units.... You would think that TIVO would allow me to transfer my 6 plus years of service (or some portion there of) to a newer unit where I can dual tune digitally again.

Are there any other ideas out there?
My 649s are busy recording stuff, so I'm not going to take them apart to absolutely prove what I already know from years of messing with consumer electronics gear.

If the RF to the second tuner is sent through the motherboard itself from the first tuner, then there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for a co-ax jumper from the first tuner to the second one, therefore the place where the jumper plugs into the second tuner is the RF input for that tuner, because that's the only explanation for that jumper that makes any sense whatsoever.

The problem with accessing the DT's tuners' inputs separately is that the S2 DT is not set up software-wise for the user to decide which tuner to use to record what, and it's not set up to allow the TiVo to control 2 external boxes, except perhaps if one is feeding the line inputs instead of a tuner.

It's not really TiVo's fault that you no longer have a source of analog cable.

Do the boxes from Comcast provide an analog channel 3 or channel 4 output of their digital channels as well as line level (yellow, white, red RCA jacks) outputs?

Do you have lifetime subs on one or both of those TiVos?

If not, transfer everything off via TiVo Desktop, then put them on Craigslist at $20 each and look for S3 HDs at $50 each, or less, and the monthly sub will be the same*, or you might try calling and threatening to cancel those S2s to see if you can get $99 lifetime on one or both, which will raise their resale value.

Go find the $99 lifetime thread and read.

*It's only the S4 platform models which have higher per month rates, and those have come down some recently.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |