TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
mm2margaret
Meagan

The Killing - Season 2 Episode 1

Well, even though my Premiere identifies this as s2 ep2, I think the two hours constitute episodes 1 and 2.

So, I don't think I screwed this one up.

At any rate, I don't care what the naysayers say, I thought this episode was terrific. Lots of twists and turns, and mysteries!

Like, who is behind taking photographs of Linden in the car???

Why was Linden terrified and took her son to a motel?

Last edited by mm2margaret : 04-01-2012 at 09:30 PM.
mm2margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post

Why was Linden terrified and took her son to a motel?
She went to the Sheriff's office to inquire about the fake bridge photo of Richmond. While there the 2nd cop KNEW her name without her ever saying it. So she knew someone tipped them off that she was coming. The ONLY other person that knew about the photo was her Boss which is where her kid was sleeping. Hence she grabbed him and bailed. (Holder also knew about the photo because at this point Linden thinks Holder is dirty also)

I called the Holder being played and not in on the planting evidence. All of season one they made him seem dirty and did the same for these two episodes. Then they made it clear he was being played...

Like the twists laid out so far as a LOT is going on and quickly...
So how did Lindens son & Holder meetup? Did the son just go to the police station and bump into Holder? Thought that scene was a bit tough to follow.

Hopefully this season they don't dwell too much on the kids as all 3 of them are already annoying me.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
sieglinde

Yeah, I hope she and Holder can meet up so that he can tell her he was punked.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

Yes, I did watch and yes, I was a bit disappointed when I noticed it was a two hour episode.

Miserable Linden. Uber miserable Larsen family. Miserable Seattle weather and scenery. And I still don't give a crap about Rosie. How did AMC let Veena Sud create the same exact show this season as the one that got excoriated last season? How is Linden back on the force? You can quit/unquit in the course of a day?

I don't know. Maybe I'll give it another week. Maybe I'll let around five episodes build up and then try to watch them in a row. Maybe I'll ffwd through every scene that has a Larsen family member or Linden's kid in it.

Somebody at AMC must really hate their mother. Linden, Lori from the Walking Dead and Betty Draper all suck as moms.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Cainebj

I enjoyed but as usual I felt like I missed something cos' half the time I had no idea what was going on and couldn't remember who characters were or why they were doing what they were doing.

For example - the black guy on the mayor's team?
Have zero memory of him.
Was that him in the outdoor meeting with one of the police dudes that I also don't remember?

The woman who works on Richmond's team?
Can remember why the other guy would have told her to leave the hospital and then she wouldn't be the one checking in on Richmond.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
fliptheflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I enjoyed but as usual I felt like I missed something cos' half the time I had no idea what was going on and couldn't remember who characters were or why they were doing what they were doing.

For example - the black guy on the mayor's team?
Have zero memory of him.
Was that him in the outdoor meeting with one of the police dudes that I also don't remember?

The woman who works on Richmond's team?
Can remember why the other guy would have told her to leave the hospital and then she wouldn't be the one checking in on Richmond.
Yeah he worked for the mayor last season. And she was asked to leave because she's the one that told the cops that Richmond's alibi was a lie. Which helped lead to him getting arrested.
fliptheflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
fliptheflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Yeah, I hope she and Holder can meet up so that he can tell her he was punked.
I hope so. This was really frustrating. It felt like Lost when nobody talked to each other. When you add everything up she's not a very good cop.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptheflop View Post
I hope so. This was really frustrating. It felt like Lost when nobody talked to each other. When you add everything up she's not a very good cop.
That's one thing I find really frustrating...in the original, she was brilliant in a dogged, methodical way,* but had no interpersonal/political skills, so everybody was too pissed off at her to pay enough attention to what she was saying.

*By which I mean she didn't come up with brilliant theories, but she refused to be distracted by flashy new theories. The usual pattern was they would be following a line of evidence; something new would come up and everybody else would hare off after it; she would continue following the original evidence; everybody would get pissed at her for not being a team player; the new evidence would come to nothing; meanwhile, she's made progress on the old evidence. She was very much the tortoise as opposed to the hare. But I'm not sure what the American version of her is supposed to be.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
philw1776

Rob how does one view the original? I'm so done with this show, just checking to see who the killah was.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Rob how does one view the original? I'm so done with this show, just checking to see who the killah was.
There are English DVDs (if you have a region-free player), or bit-torrent.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
There are English DVDs (if you have a region-free player), or bit-torrent.
i was thinking about that myself BUT wondered if any bit-torrent would be in Danish?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
i was thinking about that myself BUT wondered if any bit-torrent would be in Danish?
Yes, but the ones I've seen heard about are from the BBC broadcast, and have English subtitles.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
fliptheflop

Quote:
That's one thing I find really frustrating...in the original, she was brilliant in a dogged, methodical way,* but had no interpersonal/political skills, so everybody was too pissed off at her to pay enough attention to what she was saying.

*By which I mean she didn't come up with brilliant theories, but she refused to be distracted by flashy new theories. The usual pattern was they would be following a line of evidence; something new would come up and everybody else would hare off after it; she would continue following the original evidence; everybody would get pissed at her for not being a team player; the new evidence would come to nothing; meanwhile, she's made progress on the old evidence. She was very much the tortoise as opposed to the hare. But I'm not sure what the American version of her is supposed to be.
She's had a couple of moments like that but usually followed up with something stupid. I think I'm going to get a hold of the original.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
avery

Am I mistaken or is Richmond's aide the same actor who has played Betty's brother on Mad Men? [can't believe I didn't notice it last season]

Also, the actor who played Duck on MM appeared in the second hour – as one of Linden's superiors. Had we seen his character previously?
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
Cainebj

Quote:
Yes, but the ones I've seen heard about are from the BBC broadcast, and have English subtitles.
aha - thanks.
in one of the new abfab episodes they do a dream sequence about the Danish version of The Killing - so it must have had some kind of impact in the UK.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
stellie93

The girl said it wasn't raining the night the girl was killed. (I have no names). That night should have stood out in everyone's memory.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
mm2margaret
Meagan

Thread-crappers be gone!

This is a good, not great show. It has it's moments, but absolutely, it's far from perfect. It's not Justified, Mad Men or Breaking Bad's level, but it it SO MUCH better than so many broadcast TV shows.

Thread-crappers you are now required to watch five episodes of CSI:Miami and five episodes of NCIS: LA.

You'll be so happy to come back to the Killing, even with all it's flaws.....
Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
Thread-crappers be gone!

This is a good, not great show. It has it's moments, but absolutely, it's far from perfect. It's not Justified, Mad Men or Breaking Bad's level, but it it SO MUCH better than so many broadcast TV shows.

Thread-crappers you are now required to watch five episodes of CSI:Miami and five episodes of NCIS: LA.

You'll be so happy to come back to the Killing, even with all it's flaws.....
Apparently, nobody is allowed to disagree with you.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #19
mm2margaret
Meagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Apparently, nobody is allowed to disagree with you.
Of course they are! But at some point, if you don't really like the show, why continue to blast away? Besides, I thought I put some humor in my comment. Life's too short to take things so seriously....
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
Peter000

I'm watching pretty much to see who the killer is and that's about it. The show is just WAY too slowly paced for me, and for American audiences in general, I think. That's just my impression from all of last season's criticism. I don't need the murder to be solved by the end of one episode, mind you, just faster than 1+ seasons.

I'm not trying to thread crap, just calling it like it is. But this will be my only complaint about that.

I like the "feel" of the program, and some of the characters are compelling (I won't say I actually LIKE any of the characters, but their stories are pretty good).
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
mm2margaret
Meagan

Look, your comments are reasonable, and they're not thread crap. I too have noted how slow the pace of the show is, and how it appears so stretched, at times.

It's just so much better than so much on TV. Compare it to CSI Miami, or Private Practice, or NCIS LA, or Unforgettable, Body of Proof, etc., it's far from perfect, but it's way better than those shows, all of which have higher ratings. Are they better? Well, I guess that depends on who you are and what you like out of a show, but I think the some of the comments here and elsewhere are way too harsh.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
sieglinde

This show is slow but I find myself watching it and being interested. Now that it is back to hour long episodes this won't be as noticable.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
mrdazzo7

I still enjoy it... They had enough twists and drama that I think it lives up to it's purpose. I love the fact that it's turning into this big conspiracy because those are the kinds of stories I find interesting... it started out as the murder of a teenager but every clue leads to something bigger and the possibilities keep expanding. I think Holder and Linden will talk and realize they're both on the same side, and work towards figuring out what's going on while keeping their superiors at bay.

One thing that definitely wasn't clear was all that stuff. Linden goes to Oaks and says she thinks something bigger is going on, etc, and by the Sheriff knowing her name, it seems that Oaks tipped him off (that and the whole thing with Holder's bag switch), so he obviously seems to be involved in what's going on. Then he quits and a new guy comes in, and he and Linden have a conversation where she basically lets him know that she's onto the cover-up, but then he assigns her and Holder to still work on the Rosie case--why would he do that if she's already getting close?

The other thing I was confused about was the pictures of the bicycle guy...the lab tech brought them to Holder and said he just got them back, but then how did Sarah get them when she was in the motel? I think I missed something there.

I'm glad it's back... i'll definitely see where it goes.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #24
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7
The other thing I was confused about was the pictures of the bicycle guy...the lab tech brought them to Holder and said he just got them back, but then how did Sarah get them when she was in the motel? I think I missed something there.
They closed the Rosie case thinking the candidate did it, so Holden packed up all the evidence in the file box, including those photos. Linden got the case reopened again, and took that box to review the evidence, then came across the photos.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
tiams

How were there 2 Rosie backpacks? Where did the one Holden had come from?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
fliptheflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
How were there 2 Rosie backpacks? Where did the one Holden had come from?
He had a hunch that somethings going on so he switched the backpack. The one he gave them to test was a fake. Now he knows that some people on the force are dirty.

Which is why it would be great if Linden would talk to him.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptheflop View Post
He had a hunch that somethings going on so he switched the backpack. The one he gave them to test was a fake. Now he knows that some people on the force are dirty.

Which is why it would be great if Linden would talk to him.
How did he happen to have one that looked exactly like the one Rosie had? Complete with bedazzled monogramming?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
How did he happen to have one that looked exactly like the one Rosie had? Complete with bedazzled monogramming?
The one he turned in looked nothing like Rosie's. It looked like a plain blue denim backpack.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
The one he turned in looked nothing like Rosie's. It looked like a plain blue denim backpack.
Yeah.... how could someone think that looked like the real one?

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #30
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Yeah.... how could someone think that looked like the real one?
I apparently wasn't looking at the screen when he turned the backpack in. I wasn't even sure I was going to watch this season since last season sucked so badly. So I was only half paying attention, mostly just listening. I never considered he could turn in a completely different looking, bloodless, backpack without any other officer noticing or the parents at a later date (like at a trial).