TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
nyny523
Oy

American Idol Top 8 Results - OAD 4/5/12

Not sorry to see DeAndre go, but man - we were SOOOO close to getting rid of Hollie AGAIN.

Maybe next week...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Well at least you have hope. I fear I'll never be rid of Joshua.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I'm sure she was the other one they were talking about when they said they got half the bottom 2 wrong.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
SNJpage1

Just something about Deangre that I never liked. He was one of the ones who got a pass to be on the show as contestant 11. From what they said he tried out for last season but didn't make the cut.
Joshua, to me, over does the singing. He needs to ease up a bit with the runs.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
2004raptor

Glad to see him go!

Hopefully Hollie sticks around but things aren't looking good for her.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

IMO the right one went home.
What a concept
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
So is the general consensus that the judges thought that Hollie and Elise should have been in the bottom two, or Hollie and DeAndre? For some reason the vibe I got from the judges was that DeAndre should not have been in the bottom two - anyone else get that?

I think America absolutely got it right this time.

It is getting down to the point for me that whoever winds up in the bottom two or three is someone who has aspects that I like and don't really want to see go (the lone exception to that being Joshua) - though each week one has to now. Just a matter of now in what order they depart.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I was wrong in prediction on who was going to be voted out and I am kind of glad about it. I have no problem with Deandre going home. The only reason I did not predict him in the bottom three is because I thought he was getting the teen girl votes.

I am so, so happy they did not save him although Jennifer apparently wanted to.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
So is the general consensus that the judges thought that Hollie and Elise should have been in the bottom two, or Hollie and DeAndre? For some reason the vibe I got from the judges was that DeAndre should not have been in the bottom two - anyone else get that?
They all but said that they did not think Deandre deserved to be in the bottom 2. They raved about him on performance night and completely trashed Hollie (which surprisingly may have backfired and caused her to get more votes). Shoot Jennifer even said she voted to save him.

At this stage, I trust Jimmy's critiques far more than the judges. I don't always agree with him but I agree with him more than the others. I think Jimmy called Deandre in the bottom 3 even on performance night.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I was wrong in prediction on who was going to be voted out and I am kind of glad about it. I have no problem with Deandre going home. The only reason I did not predict him in the bottom three is because I thought he was getting the teen girl votes.

I am so, so happy they did not save him although Jennifer apparently wanted to.
IMO if he had been getting the votes they would not have been praising him as hard as they were for that ridiculous falsetto. If someone (someone who is not the chosen one) is getting a lot of votes they tend to damn them with faint praise so as not to rile up the voters.
Phillip is a good example of that this week.
Bad performance but not much in the way of a critique- fans are complacent and assume he is OK in order to throw their votes at their 2nd fav who was eviscerated by the judges.
That's how shock boots happen.
Although Phillip helped dig his own grave with that "too cool to play the game" stunt he pulled last night.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
IMO if he had been getting the votes they would not have been praising him as hard as they were for that ridiculous falsetto. If someone (someone who is not the chosen one) is getting a lot of votes they tend to damn them with faint praise so as not to rile up the voters.
Phillip is a good example of that this week.
Bad performance but not much in the way of a critique- fans are complacent and assume he is OK in order to throw their votes at their 2nd fav who was eviscerated by the judges.
That's how shock boots happen.
Although Phillip helped dig his own grave with that "too cool to play the game" stunt he pulled last night.
What did I miss?? I was skimming through trying to catch up before the results and then just turned that on for the final 10 minutes.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
What did I miss?? I was skimming through trying to catch up before the results and then just turned that on for the final 10 minutes.
Phillip basically said he doesn't care what anyone thinks, he only cares about his music, blah, blah, blah.

He sucked this week, IMO. He needs to take his head out of his butt and realize that not everything he does is good.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Phillip basically said he doesn't care what anyone thinks, he only cares about his music, blah, blah, blah.

He sucked this week, IMO. He needs to take his head out of his butt and realize that not everything he does is good.
Yeah, that quote is getting old. If it is just about the music and you are acting like the advice, critiques and the votes don't matter to you then why did you even audition? Act like you care about the process a little bit.

But maybe it is hard to take those items seriously when you have never been in the bottom 3 and the judges keep blowing smoke up you ass every week telling you how great you are.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Well hell. I already deleted this so now I'll have to go download to see what the fuss is. I did check his facebook and saw this:
Quote:
Phillip Phillips
thank you to everyone who supports me and voted this week! i appreciate it very much...i heard that some people took my comment the wrong way but i thought jimmy said if i dont move around i would get passed and all i was meaning that im not the artist who runs around stage touching peoples hands and sings to them, thats just not me so im sorry to who ever my have taken it the wrong way bc i wouldnt even be here without you guys voting haha thank you again!
Personally I don't think he has his head up his ass, I think he's just soooo afraid to step out of his comfort zone. That might not be a horrible thing but you're right, it could cost him in the long run and obviously the ones on this board aren't the only people complaining or he wouldn't have written that on his fb account.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
tiams

He can't move around stage and touch people in the audience because he is always holding that guitar in his hands. I want to hear him without the guitar one time.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
He can't move around stage and touch people in the audience because he is always holding that guitar in his hands. I want to hear him without the guitar one time.
He did Hard To Handle at the top 11 without the guitar.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
nyny523
Oy

I don't care about the guitar - there are a lot of great singers who always use a guitar.

He needs to understand that not everything that comes out of his mouth is some kind of pearl.

In ANY career - music, business, teaching - whatever, the day you decide there is nothing you can learn or improve upon is the day you die. It's very well and good to say that all you care about is the music, but it makes you come off like an arrogant prick when you can't take constructive criticism from people who want you to succeed.

He comes across as if he doesn't even want to listen to anyone else. And if you don't listen, you can't learn. I am not saying he should do everything he is being told to do. But don't just shut down and not hear it. It could be ONE thing that makes a difference. The guy is what, 20 years old? And he thinks he knows everything?

Laughable.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
tiams

Quote:
He did Hard To Handle at the top 11 without the guitar.
point taken.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

If all he cared about was the music he could sit at home and play for his dog.
He's the one who auditioned for a cheesy reality show and he'd have to have been living in a cave over the last decade to not know what he was in for.

The smart ones play the game to get as far as they can- each week delivers an enormous audience right into their laps and to squander even one opportunity to show yourself in your best light is foolish IMO.
Each weeks performance is also "auditioning" for labels and co-writers and producers who might base their choices, at least in part, to how someone would be to work with and what amount of fire they have inside them.

Phillip seems to have forgotten that he is about to spend three months on the road touring and that interaction with fans is a big part of that scene. If he doesn't want to slap hands with a front row of producer (Nigel) chosen eye candy girls how is he going to react to taking photos with thousands of the not so young and pretty?
It is hard to find a fan base and success in this field- at this stage he can't afford to alienate anyone.

From where I sit I do not see him as any sort of artiste wunderkind who is just. that. good. that he can ignore fans and live inside his own head while performing.
He's a wannabe singer who is very early in his career and needs to listen to what old timers have to say. You can do that and still retain your integrity and vision, but it takes compromise and not biting the hand that feeds you.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
<snip>
Quote:
<snip>
I see what you're saying and I can't disagree with any of it. But for whatever reason I'm so biased on this subject that he can do no wrong in my eyes so I'll just have to hope that he figures it out because I want him there for awhile and I want him to be successful after Idol.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
I see what you're saying and I can't disagree with any of it. But for whatever reason I'm so biased on this subject that he can do no wrong in my eyes so I'll just have to hope that he figures it out because I want him there for awhile and I want him to be successful after Idol.
Oh, I know that feeling- believe me
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Oh, I know that feeling- believe me
Who is it for you?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Who is it for you?
I am the Glammiest Glambert who ever Glammed with the frequent flyer miles to prove it, lol.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I am the Glammiest Glambert who ever Glammed with the frequent flyer miles to prove it, lol.
Haha! Oh yes, there were many of you! I still think his Ring of Fire was his best. I never got the Mad World obsession but RoF I could play over and over.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #25
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Haha! Oh yes, there were many of you!
Still are
Watch the NewNowNext awards on Logo next Monday night at 10PM est to see him close the show with the first performance of the title track for his new album that drops 5/15/12.
It is amazeballs- I watched it last night on a crappy U-stream.
And he'll be on Idol 5/17, Top 3 results night.
[/end of advertisement]
Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #26
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Still are
Watch the NewNowNext awards on Logo next Monday night at 10PM est to see him close the show with the first performance of the title track for his new album that drops 5/15/12.
It is amazeballs- I watched it last night on a crappy U-stream.
And he'll be on Idol 5/17, Top 3 results night.
[/end of advertisement]

I had to get my own custom smiley for this

That's awesome. I meant the "were" just during the show because I have no idea how he's doing now other than his one single I was hearing all the time.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:

I had to get my own custom smiley for this

That's awesome. I meant the "were" just during the show because I have no idea how he's doing now other than his one single I was hearing all the time.
Oh, I know
He's happy, in love with an utterly adorable Finn, has upcoming gigs singing for Queen this summer, and executive produced this album.
He's in a really good place right now.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #28
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Well hell. I already deleted this so now I'll have to go download to see what the fuss is. I did check his facebook and saw this:

Personally I don't think he has his head up his ass, I think he's just soooo afraid to step out of his comfort zone. That might not be a horrible thing but you're right, it could cost him in the long run and obviously the ones on this board aren't the only people complaining or he wouldn't have written that on his fb account.
I think he has his head up his ass because he's not confident about being in front of large crowds or dealing with mobs of strangers. He's masking his nervousness by putting on airs.

I dont think he's arrogant. He's just acting like it to not feel vulnerable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #29
Cainebj

Quote:
upcoming gigs singing for Queen.
Lambert is fronting for Queen?
wow.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Lambert is fronting for Queen?
wow.
A very few (2 or 3) shows, nothing permanent, nothing in the USA (so far anyway).
Here's a video of them performing together.