TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Pilot20

Premier Upgrade TWC Question

I currently have a 4-year old Series 3 that has worked great with the exception of a ton of TWC cable card and TA problems. I know that is not the fault of Tivo, but I really don't want to have to go through all of that mess again.

I got so disgusted with TWC the last time I had issues, I almost switched to satellite.

I would really like to have 4 tuners, which would eliminate the numerous recording conflicts that I seem to have.

My question is...if I replace my S3 with an Elite, can I just use the current cable card and call TWC with serial numbers etc., or will I need a truck roll?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Pilot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
rodalpho

You'll need a truck roll, and they will make you pay for it. This sounds like it should be unnecessary, but the truth is that TWC still has problems with cablecards, now almost six years after they were introduced. The last time I had them come by it took 90 minutes to get it working. My installer kept calling back into the head offices until he found someone non-stupid. It took forever.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
rogmatic

No. You don't need a truck roll. You can switch the cards yourself and just call in the numbers. But I have had a lot of troubles with my Elite that I never had with my Series 3.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Teledatageek

I just did this and it required a couple of phone calls to get the cable card reactivated by TW but not that painful...
Teledatageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
rodalpho

Huh, maybe it changes by region. They will not allow me to do it myself in NYC, no matter what.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Johnwashere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho View Post
Huh, maybe it changes by region. They will not allow me to do it myself in NYC, no matter what.
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

No, self install cable cards are allowed EVERYWHERE by law:

"The Federal Communications Commission announced in its latest report an order on CableCARD rule revisions that cable TV companies have until Nov. 1, 2011 to comply with a requirement to offer CableCARD self-installation to customers, according to a Light Reading Cable report.
Cox Communications and Verizon (NYSE: VZ) are among TV service providers that already offer self-installation, and Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA) reportedly is preparing to offer CableCARD self-installation kits to customers who are interested. Cable TV companies can save money on truck rolls by offering self-installation, so it seems like a no-brainer, though as LRC points out, self-installation is just another Band-Aid on a much-maligned technology requirement.

Read more: FCC requires CableCARD self-install by Nov. 1 - FierceCable http://www.fiercecable.com/story/fcc...#ixzz1r6MDu0Me
Subscribe: http://www.fiercecable.com/signup?sourceform=Viral-Tynt-FierceCable-FierceCable"

Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
sbiller

http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/...cablecard-into

Question:
Can I install a CableCARD into my TiVo Series3, TiVo HD, or TiVo HD XL DVR by myself?
Answer:
Yes. You will need a Tuning Adapter if you’re using one of the following devices:

TiVo DVR (either the Series 3, HD, or HD XL)
Moxi HD DVR
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Multi-Tuner PC Card

Please refer to the CableCARD Installation and Activation Instructions.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
rodalpho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwashere View Post
No, self install cable cards are allowed EVERYWHERE by law:
Nice! My last encounter with TWC was before that. Thanks for the correction.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Thinkdiff

I just upgraded a TiVo HD to TiVo Elite on TWC. As others have said, you just call their 24 hr tech support number and they'll re-pair the card to the new TiVo within a few minutes. Pretty simple process.
Thinkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
robertgp124
Ordinary Member

TWC & Cable Cards

If you need a new cable card, make sure you say you want it mailed unless they are available for pick up locally. TWC tried to insist on a truck roll, then the tech didn't show. I checked around, found what the others have mentioned (the FCC regulation, thanks Dave Zatz!) and when I called to complain about the phantom tech, told them I wanted to do it myself. Magically, the cards could be delivered by mail (they claimed not to have them at the local office).
robertgp124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot20 View Post
My question is...if I replace my S3 with an Elite, can I just use the current cable card and call TWC with serial numbers etc., or will I need a truck roll?

Thanks,
If your S3 has "S" cards the answer is no.
The Elite needs a single "M" card. That you should be able to order from TWC or if you're close to an office, go there and get an "M" card.
If you are shelfing the S3 then return the 2 "S" cards to save a couple of bucks.

If SDV has infested your area, a tuning adapter will be needed; but again if you already have a tuning adapter on the S3. You can swap it to the Elite.

Authorization will be required for both; but should not be a major problem. I would allow a couple of hours to go through authorization, just in case.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
MeInDallas

Quote:
I currently have a 4-year old Series 3 that has worked great with the exception of a ton of TWC cable card and TA problems. I know that is not the fault of Tivo, but I really don't want to have to go through all of that mess again.

I got so disgusted with TWC the last time I had issues, I almost switched to satellite.

I would really like to have 4 tuners, which would eliminate the numerous recording conflicts that I seem to have.

Thanks,
Where exactly are you located at? That would help to know. I'm in Dallas so I just went to the local office here and they gave them to me and I came home and set them up myself. If you already have a Multistream card and tuning adapter then you should just be able to switch them out and call the hotline and get it paired up @ 1.866.606.5889
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
pmiranda

If you already have an M card and a TA, don't even bother with the local idiots and just call the national self-install hotline. Those guys (and gals) know their stuff and have been able to fix every problem and change I've had lately quickly, knowledgeably, and without any BS.
They know TiVo's and they know how to actually debug issues instead of punting to a truck roll at the first opportunity. It works so well I hope it's saving TWC money even though I hate their copy protection lockdown.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Pilot20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Where exactly are you located at? That would help to know. I'm in Dallas so I just went to the local office here and they gave them to me and I came home and set them up myself. If you already have a Multistream card and tuning adapter then you should just be able to switch them out and call the hotline and get it paired up @ 1.866.606.5889
My location is the Harlingen, TX area, just north of Brownsville. When I first got my two S3s, it took forever to get someone who knew how to set them up using M cards. After 4 truck rolls and 6 techs, I finally wrote a letter to the V.P. of the regional TWC office and within several days, I got a call from the district supervisor. He sent out a guy that knew Tivos and within an hour or so, he got it working. That was round #1.

Round #2 was when we went to SDV and I had to have the TA. That took another 4 truck rolls, 3 different TAs and several weeks before they could get that working. The techs were sure that it was cable infrastructure in my house which is fairly new. They ran new cable from the street to the house. Changed out the splitter in the attic and added an amp. Still didin't work. The techs didn't even know what a TA was.

One guy finally called someone at the head-end that had some idea of what was going on, and got it working.

Round #3 was one year later when my TA slowly died. It would work after a re-boot, but would slowly loose channels. It took another two weeks and numerous truck rolls to get that fixed. I kept telling the techs that we had all new cables etc. but each new tech ran the same signal checks, changed equipment with no positive result. I kept telling them to bring a new TA, and finally they did. But again, it took several weeks to get it going.

Even though I really would like to upgrade to the Elite, I'm just afraid of opening Pandora's box all over again. If I can just call in the numbers using the same TA and M card, I think I will give it a shot.

Sorry for the long rant, but this Tivo in S. Texas has been a nightmare. I think TWC doesn't want us to have Tivos. They want to rent their lousy DVRs instead and they seem to make the Tivo experience as painful as possible so that we just give up. However, if I ever give up, it will be Direct TV with a Tivo box that gets my business.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.
Pilot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
rodalpho

Quote:
I think TWC doesn't want us to have Tivos. They want to rent their lousy DVRs instead
Well, yeah, obviously. Was that ever in doubt? Supporting TiVos and cablecards in general over their standardized hardware costs them money. Also TiVos can't get PPV, so they're cut off from that revenue stream.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
randymac88

Quote:
I live in NYC and picked up the cablecard from the 23rd street office, and performed a self-install, called in to pair and activate, no problems. Buttery smooth.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
nycmiddle

Quote:
I actually have had success doing it over the phone in NYC.
nycmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
rodalpho

Yep, read on a bit-- they're forced to allow it by law as of late last year.