TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Top Gear USA 4/3/2012 Season Finale

Well after a couple weeks of painfully pathetic episodes the season finale this week didn't suck.

I mean, it wasn't great but it was watchable. The challenge with the lame cars could have been a bit better if they'd found something besides the Aztec, something that more matched the Yugo and the Lamestang, but it was still fun.

The segment with Tanner driving the Nobel was really good. This show needs more tire smoke.

Anyway, season done. By my count there were 2 eps that didn't suck and the rest of it was crap. Still, that's better than last season. Maybe they'll manage 3 eps that don't suck next year. At this rate, it could be a good show in another decade or so.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I must have missed the eps that didn't suck - and I saw every one of them!

The Noble segment looks like it might have been filmed by the UK crew, which is why it wasn't quite as bad as the rest of the series.

My only wish is that they would rename this dross. I don't care to what, but as long as it's called Top Gear, I'm obliged to watch it - and I'd rather not!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I thought the ep with the 3 convertibles a couple weeks ago was pretty good if you ignored The Donald at the end.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
BluesFools

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
My only wish is that they would rename this dross.
It's not called TG in our house. My son refers to it as the "Tanner Foust and Buddies" show. Instead of a season pass, I have a wishlist for first-run shows with Tanner Foust in them, and so that's how it shows up in the Now Playing list. If you ignore the logo at the back of their studio set you never have to be reminded what they call the show. Once you get away from the name, "Tanner Foust and Buddies" is actually a half-way decent show, sometimes.
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I thought this season was pretty good overall. I've never watched the UK version, so I don't have the baggage of comparing it to something better. I enjoy the banter between the hosts and I mostly like the themes and the challenges they choose. Could it be better? Sure. But I wouldn't say it's complete crap. It's a low-budget show on a basic cable channel and they're doing a pretty good job with the resources they have.

My main wish is that Adam Ferrara would be replaced by Corolla, the way it was originally intended, but other than that, I'm content with the show.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
The Noble segment looks like it might have been filmed by the UK crew, which is why it wasn't quite as bad as the rest of the series.
I wondered the same thing. I spent as much time watching the backgrounds in that scene as anything else. I kept looking for proof of my theory that it was all filmed at the UK Top Gear site. I'm fairly certain it was. In one shot, briefly, you can see part of the modified 747 sitting nearby that is in a lot of the normal UK shots. I got the feeling from most of the shots that they were purposely set up to try to avoid seeing anything recognizable in the background so it wouldn't be obvious that it was at the UK Top Gear airstrip/track.

Jeff
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
I wondered the same thing. I spent as much time watching the backgrounds in that scene as anything else. I kept looking for proof of my theory that it was all filmed at the UK Top Gear site. I'm fairly certain it was. In one shot, briefly, you can see part of the modified 747 sitting nearby that is in a lot of the normal UK shots. I got the feeling from most of the shots that they were purposely set up to try to avoid seeing anything recognizable in the background so it wouldn't be obvious that it was at the UK Top Gear airstrip/track.

Jeff
I thought they specifically showed the name of the abandoned base where that segment was filmed. If so, wouldn't it be pretty simple to know if it's the same place?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
BluesFools

The first segment was filmed at an unspecified location, then they said they moved to Bruntingthorpe to do the speed run down its long runway. Looking carefully at the race with the Audi and Lambo, I don't think it was filmed at either Dunsfold or Bruntingthorpe. When the race ends there's a long banked area to their right, and there's nothing like that at either location. The tarmac is the wrong color for Dunsfold and there are not enough trees for Bruntingthorpe.

Notwithstanding one shot of an airplane, I think the first segment was also filmed at Bruntingthorpe. There are too many trees for Dunsfold. At one point you see the trucks with the Focus brand on them, which you see again during the speed run.
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote