TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
pusta

TiVo Premiere Names Showing as N/A

I have a weird issue with two of my Premieres today. In both the Now Playing list as well as on TiVo.com, my DVR names are showing as N/A instead of their clever names that I put in when activated. I tried changing them on tivo.com, but nothing seems to take. I rebooted and forced a net connect, which completed successfully. Strange thing is, my Premiere Elite is displaying it's name just fine, this only seems to affect my regular Premieres. Anyone else seeing this today?
pusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
rahnbo

Sometimes I see this happen when I loose internet service or my router goes wonky. Sometimes a nice clean reboot of all the connected parts will do wonders.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
pusta

I just tried again on TiVo's site, and it let me rename my three DVRs successfully. Strange.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
MacQ2

Pusta, as rahnbo said this is more likely a local network problem - not one involving the Tivo website.

Once each Premiere learns its name from Tivo.com it keeps its name on its hard drive. The name is then readily available to anything who asks (other Premiere's, iPad app, Tivo Desktop, etc). Something has gone awry with this local name sharing.

Shutting down *each* Premiere and restarting should resolve it. If it recurs you'll have to determine what happened on your network to disturb the sharing. If you make no changes and it keeps happening, it might be best to contact Tivo to view network diagnostics at each box.
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
pusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ2 View Post
Pusta, as rahnbo said this is more likely a local network problem - not one involving the Tivo website.

Once each Premiere learns its name from Tivo.com it keeps its name on its hard drive. The name is then readily available to anything who asks (other Premiere's, iPad app, Tivo Desktop, etc). Something has gone awry with this local name sharing.

Shutting down *each* Premiere and restarting should resolve it. If it recurs you'll have to determine what happened on your network to disturb the sharing. If you make no changes and it keeps happening, it might be best to contact Tivo to view network diagnostics at each box.
Odd thing is everything else works. From the Internet on our laptop and phones, to Netflix and MRV and net connects on the TiVos. I'd accept network issues if there were any other symptoms, but I am not seeing any.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
MacQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusta View Post
Odd thing is everything else works. From the Internet on our laptop and phones, to Netflix and MRV and net connects on the TiVos. I'd accept network issues if there were any other symptoms, but I am not seeing any.
Did you try restarting the units?

The name discovery process could have been disturbed just once and now the problem persists.

Network issues aren't always obvious.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
pusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ2 View Post
Did you try restarting the units?

The name discovery process could have been disturbed just once and now the problem persists.

Network issues aren't always obvious.
I've restarted the units, my router, and forced net connects. Everything else works except the names.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
MeInDallas

Mine did the same thing. I went in and renamed them on the Tivo website and now all is well.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
pusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Mine did the same thing. I went in and renamed them on the Tivo website and now all is well.
And we are both in Dallas. Maybe it was all the tornados today.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
MeInDallas

It might of been. My internet was acting really weird for awhile so I just turned the whole network off for a few hours and now its going good again.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
Derek Nickel
TiVannosaurus Rex

I can confirm the same issue. I was on tivo.com and noticed both tivo's had N/A as their name. When I looked at the TiVo's themselfs, the names were indeed gone. This is clearly a TiVo problem not a local problem.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
nandopr

Quote:
I have a weird issue with two of my Premieres today. In both the Now Playing list as well as on TiVo.com, my DVR names are showing as N/A instead of their clever names that I put in when activated. I tried changing them on tivo.com, but nothing seems to take. I rebooted and forced a net connect, which completed successfully. Strange thing is, my Premiere Elite is displaying it's name just fine, this only seems to affect my regular Premieres. Anyone else seeing this today?
i am having the same problem. I have two Elites, only one lost the name. I enter the name again (tivo.com). The name is saved. I forced a connection four times and my elite does not update to the name I want. This is the first time something like this happen to my elite.

Update info...

Problem solved. Now my Elite shows the correct nick. My IPad app did not recognize the device at the beginning.

Here is what I did. Just in case someone want to know how to fix a problem that may arise with the IPad app after the Elite get the nick back...
Go to >settings->remote, cablecard, & devices->network remote control.

I checked "do not allow" and right there checked "allow network-based remote controls" back again.

The iPad app asked me for the media access key. I entered and the iPad app was back to normal.

Last edited by nandopr : 04-04-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Updating issue
nandopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
MacQ2

My 3 Premiere's are fine but sounds like a call to Tivo is in order.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
harric

I had the same problem. I live in Plano Tx. I noticed my over the weekend. I got online and chatted with a Tivo rep. They said they could not see the problem on their end. They could see my DVR names..however when I logged in to my account, they were listed as N/A. After an hour of chatting and Tivo rep not getting it, I re-entered the names and forced an update...Names are back on my boxes again.
harric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
pusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by harric View Post
I had the same problem. I live in Plano Tx. I noticed my over the weekend. I got online and chatted with a Tivo rep. They said they could not see the problem on their end. They could see my DVR names..however when I logged in to my account, they were listed as N/A. After an hour of chatting and Tivo rep not getting it, I re-entered the names and forced an update...Names are back on my boxes again.
Must be a Texas thing :-). So last night I changed my three TiVo names to something completely different on tivo.com, and this morning the names on the systems are fine. I think something is up on the TiVo end.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
LDLDL

Quote:
I had the same problem with on of my premiers and I'm in PA. Noticed the missing name yesterday. Strange that it only happened to one out of four Tivos I have. Went into Tivo.com and renamed it last night. As of this morning, the name wasn't added.
LDLDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
pusta

I opened a case with Tivo, here is their response:

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with this manage my account issue.

We are experiencing a known issue in Find TV Shows, Season Pass manager, and My Account sections of tivo.com. We do show currently these names in place:

[blanked out]

A Tentative fix deployment is scheduled for next week so the names reflect correctly on-line. Apologies on the inconvenience and thanks for being more than patient on this.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
LDLDL

@ Pusta....
Thanks for the update!
LDLDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #19
supasta

I am also having this issue. I am in the Denver area, so it isn't just you Texas folks.

I first noticed the issue earlier tonight when trying to connect to my Premiere from my iPhone using the TiVo app.

I went to TiVo.com to look into the issue. The My Account page states that they are processing my activation, yet this is a box that I activated in August last year; and that date shows accurately (see attached photo).

The TiVo name was indeed blank, so I set the name again online. I connected to the TiVo service numerous times, and finally restarted the box to no avail.

The setting to allow network remotes was there, unchanged.

The restart allowed my to connect to the TiVo with the iPhone app, yet my TiVo name is not showing (there is a default name given to the box that is shown). System Information still says to "<Name this DVR on www.tivo.com>"

Very odd, and somewhat concerning that the account page says that they are "processing my activation". My service fee was billed today, and the automatic payment has not posted yet. Maybe that is a factor.

Those of you that are having this issue: are you also seeing this "Processing your activation" message?

Hopefully the response that pusta received is all this sums up to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2012-04-04 at 11.02.38 PM.jpg (39.9 KB, 13 views)

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #20
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
Those of you that are having this issue: are you also seeing this "Processing your activation" message?
I see that when my Tivo is being billed, then in the next couple of days its normal again. I noticed on yours it says the 4th day of the month, I bet thats what is going on with yours too.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #21
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I see that when my Tivo is being billed, then in the next couple of days its normal again. I noticed on yours it says the 4th day of the month, I bet thats what is going on with yours too.
Thanks. I have to admit that I have not looked at the account online since upgraded and activated the new Premiere.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #22
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

So, this isn't limited to the Premiere. For me, it started there, but now my Series 2 has also lost its name. The Series 3 is the last to hold on to its identity, but I'm guessing that will change with its next "daily call". All appear as "N/A" on tivo.com. The names were fine on tivo.com as of yesterday at this time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:09 AM   #23
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

One of my Premieres doesn't display the name on Amazon. It displays DVRXXXX(last 4 digits of TSN). I have no idea how to fix it.