TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Cast from YouTube to TiVo Premiere

I was going to cast a YouTube video to my TV using my Chromecast, and the cast icon gave me the option to cast to my TiVo instead.

It doesn't work exactly the same as to the Chromecast (You manage playback with the TiVo remote rather than via YouTube on the PC) but it was still quick and convenient. Plus I didn't have to switch the input back to the TiVo.

Apparently you can cast YouTube to the TiVo from a mobile device as well...
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Yep! Casting works with the mobile Netflix app too.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
I was going to cast a YouTube video to my TV using my Chromecast, and the cast icon gave me the option to cast to my TiVo instead.

It doesn't work exactly the same as to the Chromecast (You manage playback with the TiVo remote rather than via YouTube on the PC) but it was still quick and convenient. Plus I didn't have to switch the input back to the TiVo.

Apparently you can cast YouTube to the TiVo from a mobile device as well...
I'm new to the Chromecast concept, although I've been a Tivo owner for years. Do you mind telling me how you hook up the Chromecast to your system in order to get this result? Does it hook up to the Tivo itself or through the TV and if so how?

thanks in advance,

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

The Chromecast goes to its own HDMI port on the TV, so it's not connected to or through the TiVo at all. There's a Google Cast extension that you add to the Chrome browser and this handles the transfer of content from the browser to the connected device. When the extension is running there's an icon in YouTube (or other compatible webpage) that you click on to send the content to your TV, like this:

A list of compatible devices appears when you click the icon. Until recently there was only one device on the list, my Chromecast. Now, in YouTube, the list shows Chromecast and the TiVo Premiere.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote