TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Why no ClearQAM channels

My TV, which is several years old, can decode digital channels and ClearQAM HD channels directly from the cable with no set top box. So why can't the Premiere do any of this without a CableCard? It picks up the analog channels from the cable so it recognizes the RF input and it has ATSC tuners.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
TiVoMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
My TV, which is several years old, can decode digital channels and ClearQAM HD channels directly from the cable with no set top box. So why can't the Premiere do any of this without a CableCard? It picks up the analog channels from the cable so it recognizes the RF input and it has ATSC tuners.
QAM is not ATSC, so that bit doesn't really matter. It's probably working like the Elite does. The Elite has a QAM tuner, that's all it has, but it won't work without a cablecard at all.
TiVoMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMonkey View Post
QAM is not ATSC, so that bit doesn't really matter. It's probably working like the Elite does. The Elite has a QAM tuner, that's all it has, but it won't work without a cablecard at all.
well to expand on that, Tivo has decided that they did not want to support ClearQAM configurations, I can't blame them since the cable companies do seem to move things around a lot and the CableCARD handles it ok. However at this point many systems only have the local OTA channels as clear, so a Tivo able to record them only gets 20 channels instead of the several hundred they get with a CableCARD.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
MacQ2

And, the Premiere's can tune OTA which is most of what would be clear anyway. Well, not the Elite but the other ones.
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

OTA is not really a viable option where I'm at, otherwise I'd hook up the antenna input. Would be nice, though, since the majority of the shows we watch are on the three major networks and Fox and those are 4 of the 5 local channels that broadcast in ClearQAM HD.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
WVZR1

If you've Suddenlink - I see very few Quam HD possibilities.

88-112 KTXE, 128-113 KERADT, 88-110 KIDY, 88-125 MYTV (a guess)

I would think you can tune those. There's a couple other that I might guess but you can check here: http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Just enter zip-code and use the drop down!

I used both an S3 and a Premiere for a very long time before I got a cable card. You'll need to use manual settings etc and I modified/edited an on-line TV "guide" to suit me. The OTA choices are only 2? Seems odd!

There's a possibility that several of the others that don't indicate 16X9, 720P, or 1080i could very well be QAM-HD

Last edited by WVZR1 : 04-02-2012 at 07:23 PM.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Thinkdiff

From what I remember, if you tell the TiVo you're not using a CableCARD and then do a channel scan, it will pick up the ClearQAM channels and they work fine (this was on my TiVo HD, but I think it still works on the Premiere). The biggest downside is the ClearQAM channels won't have guide data, so you can't schedule season passes or recordings by name, making it pretty useless (and that's why TiVo does not support ClearQAM - no way to accurately map the guide data).

Last edited by Thinkdiff : 04-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Thinkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
LoREvanescence

As many people said, if you used clearqam all you would receive would be local networks on most all cable companies.

However, you would get no guide data with clear qam, and all recordings would have to be set up manually through date, channel, time and duration like you used to have to do in the old days with a VCR. Your NPL would be full of recordings with titles of date and time it was recorded, very hard to find what shows you are looking for.

When I had my TiVo S3 at college back in 2007, my school didn't allow students to rent any equipment from the cable company nor upgrade the cable plan. You got the basic analog cable, plus a few school local access channels and hbo added as local access.

My tivo was able to pick up only the locals from clear qam for HD, and not all of them do to some of the schools local access channels being used in the same location. But I got enough HD channels such as cbs and fox. The NPL gets real ugly fast if you record manual recordings from clear qam, trust me. It's not worth it, get the cable card.

The only thing where clear qam might be worth it, is for example before I had my first tivo I had a clear qam tuning card for my laptop when I was home over the summer from school in the early 2000's. Comcast has only the locals in the clear, but the clear had all the sub channels. For example, comcast never carried "The Tube", a music video sub channel that used to exist. You could not get it with the comcast set top box, but it was in the clear on the cable system. I also discovered that the boston locals (out of market and not available on the cable system in western mass) were in the clear too.
LoREvanescence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
TZR916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkdiff View Post
From what I remember, if you tell the TiVo you're not using a CableCARD and then do a channel scan, it will pick up the ClearQAM channels and they work fine (this was on my TiVo HD, but I think it still works on the Premiere)....

Tried that here with Comcast on Elite. The scan found 500 channels, but i could not actually tune to any channel above 21 analog. If I tried all I would get is black screen and message on screen "not authorized". Meanwhile my Sony Tv and PC tuner card(s) get all the clear qam perfectly. Of course cablecard made them all work.
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote