TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
matapan

Swapping Series 2 Drive with a Series 2 DT Drive

I have a Series 2 single tuner unit which has a hard drive on its way out. Recently, a friend gave me his DT Series 2 unit after he upgraded. Since the service info is on the motherboard and not on the drive itself, I tried swapping to known good drive from the DT unit into mine, but did not get very far in the startup process.

My Tivo unit displayed the "Starting up. Please wait." message and nothing more. The front panel indicators immediately went to amber/green and amber red. According to what I've read online, getting into diagnostics mode (kickstart?) requires the unit to go green, then amber before you press the pause button to initiate the diagnostics mode.

Am I wrong in assuming that a fix could be as easy as a drive swap without an OS change? Or, are there other things to try here to address this?

I know the HD controller still works, because I swapped the original drive back in and it started up successfully.
matapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
cannonz

You will need drive with same image to work the DT will not in single tuner. I remember reading somewhere the other way around will (single tuner S2 in a DT) but will only have one tuner.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
I remember reading somewhere the other way around will (single tuner S2 in a DT) but will only have one tuner.
No, that doesn't work.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can only use the drive if it is from the same model, a TCD540 to another TCD540, TCD230 to a TCD230, etc.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapan View Post
I have a Series 2 single tuner unit which has a hard drive on its way out. Recently, a friend gave me his DT Series 2 unit after he upgraded. Since the service info is on the motherboard and not on the drive itself, I tried swapping to known good drive from the DT unit into mine, but did not get very far in the startup process.

My Tivo unit displayed the "Starting up. Please wait." message and nothing more. The front panel indicators immediately went to amber/green and amber red. According to what I've read online, getting into diagnostics mode (kickstart?) requires the unit to go green, then amber before you press the pause button to initiate the diagnostics mode.

Am I wrong in assuming that a fix could be as easy as a drive swap without an OS change? Or, are there other things to try here to address this?

I know the HD controller still works, because I swapped the original drive back in and it started up successfully.
Those 2 models use "almost" the same software, but not quite.

If that single tuner isn't lifetimed, use the free version of TiVo Desktop to copy everything off of it, and switch your sub to the dual tuner.

When you say

"I know the HD controller still works, because I swapped the original drive back in and it started up successfully."

do you mean you put the single tuner unit's drive back in it, or the dual tuner's drive back in it?

What's the model of the single tuner?

I can help you with this if you work with me.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
matapan

OS Images Not The Same!

I have a Series 2 TCD 140060 unit.

I tried swapping a drive from a Series 2 240 unit and this did not work. The drive immediately hung, with both front panel indicators going amber.

It seems like the only way to swap the drive out is to create a backup, then restore the backup onto another drive to be used as the replacement.

What's the best tool to use now? The Hinsdale HowTo is okay if you have XP with a FAT32 partition on it. I don't. I would prefer to use something that did not require booting into Windows at all. Is MFSLive the way to go?

After "restoring" a backup to a replacement drive that is larger, how does the system "recognize" the extra capacity on the disk?

Sorry in case this has been rehashed, but the HowTo's I've read so far are extremely verbose and aren't to the point.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

I tried swapping a drive from a Series 2 240 unit and this did not work. The drive immediately hung, with both front panel indicators going amber.
This is the one exception to the "has to be the same model number" rule. At some point, and I don't remember exactly which at software version, Tivo combined the 140 and 240 software so that their was only on version for both model numbers.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

It seems like the only way to swap the drive out is to create a backup, then restore the backup onto another drive to be used as the replacement.

What's the best tool to use now? The Hinsdale HowTo is okay if you have XP with a FAT32 partition on it. I don't. I would prefer to use something that did not require booting into Windows at all. Is MFSLive the way to go?

After "restoring" a backup to a replacement drive that is larger, how does the system "recognize" the extra capacity on the disk?

Sorry in case this has been rehashed, but the HowTo's I've read so far are extremely verbose and aren't to the point.
I mostly use WinMFS and a USB to IDE/SATA cable. I have used WinMFS with XP, Vista, and Win7 (no FAT32 on any of them). If you really don't want to boot into Windows, then get the ISO and make a CD for MFSLive tools.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
This is the one exception to the "has to be the same model number" rule. At some point, and I don't remember exactly which at software version, Tivo combined the 140 and 240 software so that their was only on version for both model numbers.
Another exception was the Humax TiVos with a built in DVD recorder, the 40 and 80 hour units could use the same software. Most likely the 310TB TP and the new 500TB TP can use the same software but I have not tested that.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Another exception was the Humax TiVos with a built in DVD recorder, the 40 and 80 hour units could use the same software. Most likely the 310TB TP and the new 500TB TP can use the same software but I have not tested that.

No, those would be the same model.
For example TCD240040 (40GB) and a TCD24080 (80GB) = same model when discussing hard drive/software compatibility
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
matapan

My personal experience has been that swapping a drive from a 240 series single tuner unit to replace a drive from a 140 unit doesn't work. Both front panel indicators are amber and the unit never starts.

When restoring a backup from the original drive to a replacement with higher capacity, how does the OS recognize the extra space on the replacement disk? I plan on using MFS Live.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:

When restoring a backup from the original drive to a replacement with higher capacity, how does the OS recognize the extra space on the replacement disk? ...
The software (MFS Live or WinMFS) that does the restore and expands by adding an MFS partition pair rewrites the partition map, and the OS looks at that to see what's what.

Which is why you can "Xerox" to a larger drive with

dd

or

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

and not expand and the TiVo thinks it still only has the original capacity because "Xeroxing" like that leaves you with the old partition map.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
No, those would be the same model.
For example TCD240040 (40GB) and a TCD24080 (80GB) = same model when discussing hard drive/software compatibility
But there was many differences in the hardware beside the hard drive, the 40hour Humax had less inputs available, and some other things that i don't remember.