TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #121
kfeltes

Wanted to share my story. I have an elite and I am using moca. I have a fairly new house and all cables are homerunned to a closet in the basement.

A TiVo hd worked perfectly in the same location for about 3 years. I moved the hd to a bedroom and replaced w an elite. The elite has rebooted randomly and I could never understand why. TiVo told me to just power it up and don't connect anything (tv or internet or phone) and let it run for a week to see if it reboots. I was able to do this and discovered the elite never rebooted. So I decided to trouble shoot my cabling. I discovered I had used a cheep 5-900 MHz splitter in my entertainment center for my receiver to tune fm. Ah ha! I removed that cheap splitter and my elite has been running perfectly ever since! I hope this helps.
kfeltes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #122
pspens

Log files?

My brand new Premier 4 crashed for the first time yesterday. It shouldn't have been a power glitch, since it's on an UPS. Is there any way to get under the hood to the log files which certainly must be present? As I understand it, Tivos run on Linux.
pspens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #123
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy in NY View Post
I finally received the replacement Elite (I'd originally placed the call on 11/9 and there were mix-ups and finally got it last week) AND I got a new cable card. I figure let's make it all new. So far no reboots but only time will tell. I got the Fall Update when I connected the TiVo and do like that I can still watch the little video window while I'm browsing through my Season Passes. However,

I transferred the Season Passes from my old box to this new one through the Tivo.com website as I'd done before successfully and while some came through, most are listed as Corrupt - Delete Me with a status of (updating...). WTF is that? I removed them and tried again and still the same. I left them that way for now close to 48 hours to see if they would truly update but nothing. When I called TiVo Support they told me that I would have to reprogram those passes which is unfortunate because a lot of them are not in the guide because they're not due to start 'til the Spring/Summer so now I'm going to have to be vigilant as to when the shows start for me to reprogram them. Needless to say, I've been a TiVo customer since 5/2011 and because of the constant problems, I've still not reaped the benefits of a Season Pass...
I posted the above back in late November, early December. I thought that I was homefree as this box was not rebooting BUT the $#@% sound would drop off for ridiculous lengths of times. I'd be away from the living room and all of a sudden I wouldn't hear the TV anymore and my heart would drop because I thought the box was rebooting but when I'd run to the living room, there simply would be no sound. I'd have to rewind the segment and the sound would be there. Sometimes I'd have to rewind about 3-4 times to get the sound back. Eventually I started timing how long the sound would be out and the shortest was 5 seconds while the longest was 82 seconds! WTF??? Then it had to happen. The box started spontaneously rebooting. Sigh.

Today, 3/21, I received my now FOURTH TiVo Elite box which I'll hook up on Saturday. I already know what's going to happen. I'll be able to transfer the season passes that are coming up now but the shows that have just ended will transfer over as corrupt which means that if this box lasts through the Fall, then I'll have to be vigilant as to when the Fall shows come back so that I can reprogram them. Can someone please tell me what it's like to actually reap the benefits of a Season Pass? Sigh.

Oh yeah, while I was chatting with the TiVo tech, I asked, "Can you guys send me a NEW box and not a refurbished box?" to which the tech replied, "We don't have refurbished boxes yet." Really? Whatev. Also, CableVision told me that everytime I remove/insert the card, it gets degraded. Not my fault the friggin' TiVo Elites keep bombing out on me.
Wendy in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #124
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I've had the same Elite since launch week. No issues.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #125
MeInDallas

Quote:
Today, 3/21, I received my now FOURTH TiVo Elite box
You sound like me, I went thru 4 of them as well
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #126
Wendy in NY

Arcady - You are soooo lucky! Send some of that luck to NY, will ya? I could only wish!

Dallas - Let's hope our 4th boxes are the charm.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #127
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've had one Elite since launch and my second Elite for a year. No problems with either of them. That is the norm. Unfortunately a small percentage has had issues.

Although it seems very unusual to have to go through four boxes. There aren't some external things causing the issues?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #128
MeInDallas

I would love to see some actual statistics on it being "the norm" but I've never seen any. I would say "the norm" is that as soon as people post that they are having problems, theres always a group of people that come in behind and say:

#1 "Well I'm not having any issues, so you shouldnt either"
#2 "My Tivo isnt messing up, so it must be something you are doing wrong on your end"
#3 "My Tivo is fine, and I've had it since release, so theres nothing wrong"
#4 "Nothing wrong here with mine, so it must be your cable company"

And it goes on and on and on that way back and forth.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #129
Arcady
Stargate Fan

My reply was meant more like this:

#0 "My TiVo works fine, and I'm sorry yours doesn't."
Two TiVo Minis

Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #130
L David Matheny

Quote:
Not my fault the friggin' TiVo Elites keep bombing out on me.
I'm sure it's not your fault personally, but having three Elites fail randomly should be unusual. You might want to insure that all of your power outlets and your cable feed are properly grounded. And use a good surge protector or preferably a UPS for your TiVo.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #131
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I would love to see some actual statistics on it being "the norm" but I've never seen any. I would say "the norm" is that as soon as people post that they are having problems, theres always a group of people that come in behind and say:

#1 "Well I'm not having any issues, so you shouldnt either"
#2 "My Tivo isnt messing up, so it must be something you are doing wrong on your end"
#3 "My Tivo is fine, and I've had it since release, so theres nothing wrong"
#4 "Nothing wrong here with mine, so it must be your cable company"

And it goes on and on and on that way back and forth.
I did not imply any of those things.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #132
Teeps

Quote:
CableVision told me that everytime I remove/insert the card, it gets degraded.
I'm throwing the B/S flag on this one... did he/she say how that could be?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #133
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I'm throwing the B/S flag on this one... did he/she say how that could be?

Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #134
Wendy in NY

Aaron, Arcady - no worries here. I knew what you meant and I wish I had your luck! Ugh. I'd just like to have a Tivo Elite last through a number of seasons so that I too can experience the bliss of not having to be vigilant on the return of upcoming shows and having to program them. As far as external devices, I've unplugged the bluetooth dongal (I have the slide remote) and reverted to usiong the regular remote for about a month and still the reboots.

L David - Yeah, I've had the outlets tested, the signal strength coming into my building (I live in a condo) has been tested, with the 3rd box I had it plugged into my UPS (the tech told me that I need to plug it directly into the wall which I did but no dice, the reboots continued.) I'm an IT so I got the good stuff when it comes to UPSes and surge protectors.

Teeps - BS indeed! I'm with you on that but in all fairness, the cable card has gone kaput several times after reboots. What winds up happening is that I get a message saying "you're not authorized to view this channel" on every channel and without telling CableVision about reboots, they ask me if I've been unplugging the power from the TiVo so who really knows?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #135
jmbach

I wonder if the Tivo is having some kind of kernel panic and rebooting. Could be some king of information the card passes on to the Tivo that it doesn't know how to handle. There is a way of getting into a debug screen to read some of the messages and errors. When I remember how I'll post back. I did it on an XL. Not sure if a reboot will erase a kernel panic message.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #136
jmbach

Alright. In the System Information screen enter 'clear clear enter enter 0' and you should get access to a screen that allows you to view the logs on the var partition. Maybe some information there will shed some light. Especially if you know the date and time it happened.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #137
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Alright. In the System Information screen enter 'clear clear enter enter 0' and you should get access to a screen that allows you to view the logs on the var partition. Maybe some information there will shed some light. Especially if you know the date and time it happened.
I sure do. Thanks jmbach!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #138
Wendy in NY

So guess what? Replacement Box #4 which I just received on Wednesday, DOESN'T WORK! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <--manaical laugh

I removed everything from Replacement Box #3 and plugged in Replacement Box #4. It wouldn't receive a signal. I removed/replugged 3x and always the same result. Ultimately, I placed the defective Replacement Box #3 back in place.

Replacement Box #5 will be shipped out to me tomorrow, Monday. Sigh. This is becoming an epic.

Also, after trying to make Replacement Box #4 to work (removing/reinserting the cable card as well as unplugging/replugging all cables), my cable card became wackadoodle. Just like CableVision told me that the card degrades for everytime the TiVo reboots or is unplugged/replugged. Unlike in January where I had to get a new cable card with Replacement Box #3, this time all the cable card needed was to be "reactivated" again.

The reason I went with TiVo is because I loathe CableVision but unfortunately it's the only provider in my area. I had a CableVision box for 13 years and was going on Box #6 when in May 2011 I figured it's time to go with TiVo. In 13 years I became frustrated with possibly having to go to Box #6 with CableVision and hear in less than 3 years I'm up to my 5th TiVo box.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #139
Arcady
Stargate Fan

A CableCard is just a PCMCIA card. They are rated for thousands of insert/eject cycles over their lifetime. Ejecting and re-inserting a CableCard a few times will not "degrade" it. It may become unpaired, but that is not the same thing.

Of course, a typical cable installer will probably manage to break them because they treat equipment like crap. I saw one try repeatedly to insert a card upside down, bending the pins in the slot. I watched more than one cable installer carry cable boxes by the connected coax cables, then wonder why the connector was loose.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #140
Teeps

Quote:
So guess what? Replacement Box #4 which I just received on Wednesday, DOESN'T WORK! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <--manaical laugh

The reason I went with TiVo is because I loathe CableVision but unfortunately it's the only provider in my area. I had a CableVision box for 13 years and was going on Box #6 when in May 2011 I figured it's time to go with TiVo. In 13 years I became frustrated with possibly having to go to Box #6 with CableVision and hear in less than 3 years I'm up to my 5th TiVo box.
Wow! Just Wow!
Have you played the lottery lately?
Just pick your numbers, then go with the exact opposite numbers; should be a winner!

Some times change just doesn't work out...
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #141
pspens

What exactly is a Tivo Elite? Is it a series 4?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #142
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspens View Post
What exactly is a Tivo Elite? Is it a series 4?
My Elites are now called Premiere XL4's by Tivo. It's a 4-tuner HD series 4.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #143
pspens

Quote:
Thanks. I've looking for a way to access these logs. However, it appears that the logs record only the last day or two's info. I was hoping to see what it said about a TIVO crash I had back in Feb.

Looks like there is some dangerous stuff on that "Backdoor" page.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #144
jmbach

Got to be careful. Looking at the logs does no harm. Now there is a KS code that place the Tivo in forensic mode. Not completely sure what that does. I think it puts more details in the logs but don't quote me on that one.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #145
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
This log is very interesting, wish I understood it all, mine contains lots of events listed as Errors and Failures.

Had a spontaneous reboot last night on the Elite at 11:01pm (06:01 GMT) during playback, as 2 tuners started to record.

Logs list several Fatal Errors:
"TmkClipTs.C[1109]: Asked to padd a negative number of bytes -16!"
"TmkAssertion Failure[1109]"
"Thread TmkClipCache0[1109]: Thread in process killed by signal Unknown signal -2-2"
"Fatal Error: Thread TmkClipCache0 <1109> strayed!"
"Tmk Fatal Error: Thread TmkClipCache0 <1109>: assertion failure"
"Tmk Fatal Error: Thread died due to signal -2"

followed by a listing "Invoking rule 834: rebooting system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #146
moyekj

Note that out of curiosity I tried the 'clear clear enter enter 0' backdoor and while it was interesting it screwed up my alternate remote address I had assigned to my Elite (I have Mini and Elite currently at same TV and using Mini as a front end to Elite for a speedier experience). I think the 0 at end of sequence resets the remote address back to 0.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #147
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

mine does it an Tivo claims its a defective cable card
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #148
beejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo View Post
mine does it an Tivo claims its a defective cable card
If you look at the logs after that happens, do you see ""Invoking rule 834: rebooting system "?

I have occasional reboots (average every 400 hours or so). Next time I'll check the logs to see what they say.

Since these logs get sent to TiVo, I would hope they are monitoring them...especially if Rule 834 indicates a software problem.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #149
rhroyse

I went through a couple of replacements also, and still had spontaneous reboots. I was getting very frustrated, and blamed Tivo.

What I learned through the process was that while there may be some defective units, I think in most cases the issue is related to signal. I also believe that these units (perhaps by design, or by design fault) are very susceptible to signal transients and variations.

I had (Charter, in my case) come out and after some testing, they ended up replacing the drop to my house. I have not had a problem since.

If you haven't already, have your company do a full signal strength test at all points along the chain.

Hope that helps.
rhroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #150
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhroyse View Post
I had (Charter, in my case) come out and after some testing, they ended up replacing the drop to my house. I have not had a problem since.
Replacing the home run drop is the place to start, especially if the cable is a few years old or more.