TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #61
bigguy126

Count me in on the reboot problem. I have a xl4 activated on 5/14. Had 2 reboots. Once when watching live tv with no recordings happening. Picture froze and then rebooted. Another time picture froze and unit became unresponsive had to pull plug. Both time called support and we went thru all the diag screens. Found my SNR on my signal to be a little high but other than that nothing. Getting a rma box today. BTW no extender or slide remote.
bigguy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #62
Wendy in NY

Arrow

Well, my Elite progressively got worse in that it started to spontaneously reboot everyday. It would happen while I was watching a recorded program, watching a live program, while I was at work and even when nothing was powered on. Additionally, the sound would drop off as well and that would happen when I'd go between TiVo Central and Zoom, after coming back from a Paused state, after unMuting from a Mute state, after FF or RW, and the worse is when I'd turn everything on and have to turn things off and on about 5-6 times to finally get some sound.

I called Tech Support today and they're sending me a refurbished box too. I'm not crazy about refurbished goods but hey, it it's the light at the end of this frustrating tunnel, then I'll gladly take it! I should have it by Friday...
Wendy in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #63
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy in NY View Post
Well, my Elite progressively got worse in that it started to spontaneously reboot everyday. It would happen while I was watching a recorded program, watching a live program, while I was at work and even when nothing was powered on. Additionally, the sound would drop off as well and that would happen when I'd go between TiVo Central and Zoom, after coming back from a Paused state, after unMuting from a Mute state, after FF or RW, and the worse is when I'd turn everything on and have to turn things off and on about 5-6 times to finally get some sound.

I called Tech Support today and they're sending me a refurbished box too. I'm not crazy about refurbished goods but hey, it it's the light at the end of this frustrating tunnel, then I'll gladly take it! I should have it by Friday...
Only way I'd accept a referb unit would be if they offered a life time subscription for cheap....
Otherwise, ask for a check for the full amount of the purchase.
Then go buy a new unit...
or
Abandon the idea of getting a TiVo XL4.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #64
aaronwt
HD Addict

refurb should be fine. I have zero problems owning any refurb electronics. Refurbished items typically go through a much more rigourous check list than a new item.

If given the choice between a refurb and a new item, as long as the warranty and return policy is the same, I'll take the refurb over the new item. But even if the warranty is shorter, if I can save a decent amount of money on the refurb, I'll still go with the refurbished item. I've owned many refurbished items over the last twenty years.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #65
Wendy in NY

@Teeps - well I did pay the extra $500 for lifetime service so that should help!

@Aaron - I do believe as you said that refurbished devices go through a wringer that new devices normally don't go through so hopefully this will be the end of my frustrations and I hope no new ones pop up!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #66
Teeps

Quote:
@Teeps - well I did pay the extra $500 for lifetime service
Ouch!

I would still insist on a new unit.
Is TiVo paying shipping both ways?
If not, they should...
Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #67
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Ouch!

I would still insist on a new unit.
Is TiVo paying shipping both ways?
If not, they should...
Yes, TiVo pays for shipping both ways.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #68
Teeps

At least you're not out the shipping.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #69
rrg

Revisiting this again. The complaints about spontaneous reboots with the Elite (I guess it's now the XL4) seemed to have stopped. This makes it seem like it might be safe to try again. But it's a such a major investment in time, money, and trouble that I wanted to ask about it here again before attempting it.

I haven't been tracking software updates to the Premiere line since I don't own one. Have there been any recently, and might they have improved the stability of the XL4?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #70
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

You should have taken advantage of the Woot Elite sale for $299.99.

My approach was that if I had any problems within the first 30 days the Elite/XL4 was going back and canceling the service. I did not experience any issues.

I have had one issue were I did loose all channels recently, except for the currently active Live TV channel, a Reboot of the TiVo did not resolve the problem, then I rebooted the TA and everything was back.

I try never to leave a tuner on a channel that uses SDV, In my case that is easy as there are very few SDV channels I watch or record.

Early this week I noticed all tuners were on the same channel, so I looked at the time since OOB Tuned and noticed it had rebooted sometime in the early morning hours. That was the first random reboot I have noticed. I have had a few lockups were I had to pull the plug though.

Every minor issue I have had though, I have experienced at least once on my regular Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #71
b_scott
TiVo Fan

my launch Premire XL has been rebooting randomly the last couple weeks too. I can tell because of my "tricks" being reset such as the quick clear code. This is not good.

To say nothing of the reboot when Netflix glitches.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #72
wackymann

My Elite hasn't spontaneously rebooted since 2011...
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #73
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post
My Elite hasn't spontaneously rebooted since 2011...
Now that's what I like to hear...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #74
Wendy in NY

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
Revisiting this again. The complaints about spontaneous reboots with the Elite (I guess it's now the XL4) seemed to have stopped. This makes it seem like it might be safe to try again. But it's a such a major investment in time, money, and trouble that I wanted to ask about it here again before attempting it.

I haven't been tracking software updates to the Premiere line since I don't own one. Have there been any recently, and might they have improved the stability of the XL4?
First, the XL4 is just the new name for the Elite. That's what the tech told me when I called in my Elite with spontaneous reboots. Anyway, as per my earlier posts, I called in my Elite and I was told that I would be sent an XL4 (I have the lifetime warranty and what I got was another Eite. Whatever.) That was back in July, I think. (I'd have to look at my TiVo account to verify that.) In any case, I just got my first spontaneous reboot. I was recording 2 shows and watching a recorded show when all of the sudden all red lights came on and the inevitable reboot. Sigh. Do I call and start up a ticket or do I wait 'til it happens again. Since I have lifetime warranty, they can probably just send my another but I don't want to have to go through that over and over and over again.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #75
beejay

I still have occasional reboots. Had one two nights ago. On 20.2.1.2 I have had a reboot on average every 334 hours.

It has varied with various software versions, but there isn't any clear trend (for me) that it is getting better.

I can tolerate this. But I wouldn't say it's fixed.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #76
rrg

Thanks for the updates. I was on the verge of trying again with the Elite/XL4/whatever (it's been about a year). But I can't tolerate reboots of this sort, even if they're infrequent--at least not while I have rock-solid Series 3 units with 1 TB drives and lifetime service. Maybe they're six years old but they do the job I need them to do and they do it well.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #77
Ziggy86

Yesterday for some reason my Tivo Elite would not respond to my remote contol, the lights on the front would recognize my remote button presses but nothing would happen. I have 4 remotes and changed the batteries to see if that was the issue but it did not help.

I rebooted and everything was back to normal. Anyone else ever have this issue?
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #78
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
Yesterday for some reason my Tivo Elite would not respond to my remote contol, the lights on the front would recognize my remote button presses but nothing would happen. I have 4 remotes and changed the batteries to see if that was the issue but it did not help.

Stops Responding to Remote Commands

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #79
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
First, the XL4 is just the new name for the Elite. That's what the tech told me when I called in my Elite with spontaneous reboots. Anyway, as per my earlier posts, I called in my Elite and I was told that I would be sent an XL4 (I have the lifetime warranty and what I got was another Eite. Whatever.) That was back in July, I think. (I'd have to look at my TiVo account to verify that.) In any case, I just got my first spontaneous reboot. I was recording 2 shows and watching a recorded show when all of the sudden all red lights came on and the inevitable reboot. Sigh. Do I call and start up a ticket or do I wait 'til it happens again. Since I have lifetime warranty, they can probably just send my another but I don't want to have to go through that over and over and over again.
I don't think you're correct unless you bought an additional extended warranty somewhere, what you purchased was a Lifetime Subscription to the Tivo service.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #80
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post

That actually happened to me on Tuesday last week. Maybe that was the precursor to my 1st spontaneous reboot on Wednesday with my replacement Elite. Btw, I just got my 2nd spontaneous reboot. Hell, I have lifetime service so I'm just going to call them and open a ticket. If they have to send me another box, so be it.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #81
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I don't think you're correct unless you bought an additional extended warranty somewhere, what you purchased was a Lifetime Subscription to the Tivo service.
Hi Diane, what I paid extra for (I believe it was an addition $500 when I bought the Elite in October 2011--now referred to as the XL4) is for lifetime service.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #82
Wendy in NY

Just got my 2nd spontaneous reboot on my replacement box that I received in July (the 1st reboot occured on 9/26.) This time nothing was recording and I was watching a live program.

Now that my Fall/Winter shows are coming back (The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, etc.) I don't want it happening at all! Time to place a call. Again.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #83
Wendy in NY

UPDATE:

I just spoke to TiVo and we went into my box's settings. My RS Uncorrected number should be 0 and it's at 4679! The TiVo tech advised that I should call my cable company (the ever so sucky Cablevision) and make them aware of that number. Supposedly they should know what to do by sending a tech (I'll be surprised if they do). That number means that the signal coming into the box is no good and he said that he's surprised that when I first called in the problem with my first Elite that that tech didn't tell me the same and that that's probably what the problem's been all along. Stay tuned...
Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #84
uw69

Where do you find the "RS" number? Thanks
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #85
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Where do you find the "RS" number? Thanks
Sure, it's:

TiVo button--Settings & Messages--Account & System Info--DVR Diagnostics

In this screen you'll see a bunch of categories. The ones pertinent to my issues are as follow:

Tuner - should be 0
Signal Strength - should be upwards of 80 (mine is at 90-92)
SNR - 36 dB
RS Uncorrected - should be 0 (mine is 4679!)
RS Corrected - mine shows 54 which is fine because it corrected whatever it did

In any case, I just spoke to Cablevision and they'll be here on Thursday the 4th. What they'll do is they'll check the strength of the signal coming into my building, they'll test the signal strength of the coaxial cable and if it's low, they'll boost the signal.

I'll keep you posted!

Last edited by Wendy in NY : 09-30-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #86
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

RS Uncorrected around 5000 on the Elite/XL4 is what everyone is seeing, so that is not the only issue. Every Elite owner will chime in, I have never seen much less than 5000 reported.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

As long as the number doesn't increase it's fine. It's when it is increasing that there is an issue.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #88
djwilso

Quote:
UPDATE:

I just spoke to TiVo and we went into my box's settings. My RS Uncorrected number should be 0 and it's at 4679! The TiVo tech advised that I should call my cable company (the ever so sucky Cablevision) and make them aware of that number. Supposedly they should know what to do by sending a tech (I'll be surprised if they do). That number means that the signal coming into the box is no good and he said that he's surprised that when I first called in the problem with my first Elite that that tech didn't tell me the same and that that's probably what the problem's been all along. Stay tuned...
My Elite always has RS Uncorrected at about 5000 after a channel change. This is normal for the Elite. The numbers on the diag screen should not continue to count up after the tuner locks in on the channel.

It's always disappointing that TiVo Support doesn't know how the various boxes behave.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #89
wackymann

One thing I did was put in a UPS. I'm not sure if that was my issue, or if something else changed, but I haven't seen a reboot since I put in my UPS. If anyone is desperate for something to try, you may want to try that.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #90
aaronwt
HD Addict

A UPS is one of the things every DVR should be connected to. I can't say I've ever used a TiVo or any DVR without being connected to a UPS over the last 11+ years. And prior to that I had my VCRs connected to a UPS. (in the second half of the 90's.)