TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
brian1269

TA has stopped working (won't stop blinking)

Sometime between Sunday night (Sept. 28) and Monday morning my tuning adapter attached to my Premiere Series 4 stopped working. It is on the eternal blinking cycle. The TiVo doesn't even see it as being attached, and it's getting the "Searching for a signal on this channel (V52)" error on a bunch of channels, which I suspect are all SDV. Charter has been out, tried several TAs, a different cable card, spent hours talking to its tier 2 support, even tried TAs on the same model of TiVo they have for testing, and can't get a solid light on any of them.

I have been in contact with TiVo, and of course they suspect a bad TA. I explained we have tried multiple units, and as far as we know, nothing changed from Sunday when it was working to the next day when it stopped. The TiVo received an update in mid Sept., but if it that was the cause then it should have stopped working then. TiVo is sending a replacement unit to try but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this, especially if you have Charter.

Charter is switching over to all digital in my area early next month and if I understood it correctly, all the channels will be SDV then and if this isn't fixed I'll have to give up my TiVo, which I really don't want to do.

Last edited by brian1269 : 10-03-2014 at 01:42 AM.
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
moyekj

Most likely it's a Charter account setup issue where the TA is not properly authorized in your account. i.e. Similar to when you stop by a store and pick up a digital box, it won't work until you call it in with registration # that they add to your account. It's very similar for TA devices where they have to add registration # to your account to have proper authorization to activate the services you are paying for. The TA blinking has absolutely nothing to do with the TiVo, in fact you can leave the TiVo unplugged and completely out of the picture until they solve the TA issue. i.e. With TA only plugged into coax and not attached via USB to TiVo, the blinking needs to stop. It's just a question of finding the right tech support person that knows the right signals and sequence to send to properly authorize the TA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
brian1269

Well that's what I would think, but like I said Charter can't get any of their TAs to work with a similar TiVo. They tried several different units here, and assured me it was in the system, authorized, updated, etc. So I'm pretty sure the new unit TiVo is sending won't work either then. Not sure what to do, neither TiVo or Charter will take responsibility and I'm stuck in the middle without the system working.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1269 View Post
Sometime between Sunday night (Oct. 28) and Monday morning my tuning adapter attached to my Premiere Series 4 stopped working. It is on the eternal blinking cycle. The TiVo doesn't even see it as being attached, and it's getting the "Searching for a signal on this channel (V52)" error on a bunch of channels, which I suspect are all SDV. Charter has been out, tried several TAs, a different cable card, spent hours talking to its tier 2 support, even tried TAs on the same model of TiVo they have for testing, and can't get a solid light on any of them.

I have been in contact with TiVo, and of course they suspect a bad TA. I explained we have tried multiple units, and as far as we know, nothing changed from Sunday when it was working to the next day when it stopped. The TiVo received an update in mid Sept., but if it that was the cause then it should have stopped working then. TiVo is sending a replacement unit to try but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this, especially if you have Charter.

Charter is switching over to all digital in my area early next month and if I understood it correctly, all the channels will be SDV then and if this isn't fixed I'll have to give up my TiVo, which I really don't want to do.

I have never heard of anything that stopped working in the future (October 28th)
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

I had a similar incident on TWC. It seemed the Tuning adapters plural were bad. A new neighbor had spliced into my feed and shorted the cable.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:05 AM   #6
XIBM

I have Charter and found that for the TA to sink in it must not have other user equipment upstream as it has an upstream acknowledgment that must go back up to Charter for it to sink in. I first had my cable going through another box before it reached the TA and had to add a splitter upstream of other equipment and place the input to the TA there. I don't think the TA will accept a "hit" until it can communicate back up to Charter's head unit. Make sure you don't have other spark arrestors/Charter DVR's etc. prior to the TA input on the cable. If you do hook the TA directly and if it does not sink have them "hit it" again.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
brian1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I have never heard of anything that stopped working in the future (October 28th)
Yeah, this has me so upset I don't even know what month it is. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIBM View Post
I have Charter and found that for the TA to sink in it must not have other user equipment upstream as it has an upstream acknowledgment that must go back up to Charter for it to sink in. I first had my cable going through another box before it reached the TA and had to add a splitter upstream of other equipment and place the input to the TA there. I don't think the TA will accept a "hit" until it can communicate back up to Charter's head unit. Make sure you don't have other spark arrestors/Charter DVR's etc. prior to the TA input on the cable. If you do hook the TA directly and if it does not sink have them "hit it" again.
No other equipment. There is a splitter on the line coming in from the pole, one going directly to TA and the other to cable modem. The TA worked, or at least would always sync back up (solid light) until this week.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Most have used a lamp timer switch to shut off the TA every morning for a short time and turns it back on, rebooting it.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #9
Oritsky

Thank you have been dealing with this nightmare for a week now since software update 20.4.4 A on September 25 no switch digital video channels on Charter. TiVo appears to have broken something and is not fixing it
Oritsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
lancelot

All three of my TA's were out earlier this week. I have TWC. I had to unplug the Tivos and the TAs and then plug everything back in. That fixed the problem on all three boxes.
lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
Oritsky

I promise you that's not the answer we changed the cable card, the tuning adapter nothing has worke. unplugged plugged back in, plugged in through a splitter unplugged plugged back in directly the problem is with the TiVo update!!
Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oritsky View Post
I promise you that's not the answer we changed the cable card, the tuning adapter nothing has worke. unplugged plugged back in, plugged in through a splitter unplugged plugged back in directly the problem is with the TiVo update!!
TA blinking has NOTHING to do with TiVo and is all cable company related problem.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
Oritsky

Sorry! My TA is not blinking. I just have missing SDV channels and the Tivo does not recognize the tuning adapter. Under DVR diagnostics for Tuning adapter it says -

Connection State: Initializing
App flags: Sdv:Off SdvHttp:Off Link:Off
SDV Configuration Received: Yes (empty)
Channel List Received: No

Everything else just has a hypen (-) beside it.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
brian1269

Quote:
Sorry! My TA is not blinking. I just have missing SDV channels and the Tivo does not recognize the tuning adapter. Under DVR diagnostics for Tuning adapter it says -

Connection State: Initializing
App flags: Sdv:Off SdvHttp:Off Link:Off
SDV Configuration Received: Yes (empty)
Channel List Received: No

Everything else just has a hypen (-) beside it.
Yes, that's exactly what mine says. Where are you at? I'm in Tri-Cities, TN. If the same thing is happening just on Charter and not other cable companies that used switched video, wouldn't it make sense that they have done something in their system that caused their TAs to stop working with TiVos?

If there are any TiVo engineers monitoring this forum, I'd like to know what the diagnostics that Oritsky mentioned mean. From what I get, it sees the tuning adapter but the TA is just not initializing. I've heard that the TiVo has nothing to do with the TA and should sync up whether it's connected or not, of course there is no way for me to test that now.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
Oritsky

Kingsport Tennessee Charter has spent probably 8 hours at my house. I visited a guy I know who works there and they said they were able to prove the fall update is the problem. They had a test Tivo which had not been plugged in and found working perfectly then rebooted to install the Tivo update and no more SDV channels!!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
brian1269

Quote:
Kingsport Tennessee Charter has spent probably 8 hours at my house. I visited a guy I know who works there and they said they were able to prove the fall update is the problem. They had a test Tivo which had not been plugged in and found working perfectly then rebooted to install the Tivo update and no more SDV channels!!!!
OK yeah I'm also in Kingsport also. I've been through the exact same situation. Stopped working Monday morning, the tech spent a couple hours Tuesday, then him and his supervisor came back Wednesday, spent hours on the phone with their tier 2 support, couldn't get it to sync. He called me yesterday and told me the same thing, that they couldn't get it to work on their unit either and think it's the TiVo software.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #17
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1269 View Post
OK yeah I'm also in Kingsport also. I've been through the exact same situation. Stopped working Monday morning, the tech spent a couple hours Tuesday, then him and his supervisor came back Wednesday, spent hours on the phone with their tier 2 support, couldn't get it to sync. He called me yesterday and told me the same thing, that they couldn't get it to work on their unit either and think it's the TiVo software.
You would think that if it was the TiVo software, the problem would be widespread. Obviously, this is not the case. It looks to me that since two problems are in a single area, the problem is a local cable company issue. I have Charter in another area and everything has been fine. I couple of months ago I had a similar problem and the tech was able to quickly fix it- problem at the head end.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
Oritsky

Wow! Thanks for assuring us you know someone who did something and your TiVo works. This helps so much!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #19
XIBM

On Charter my TA will sink in with a solid light without the USB being plugged into the Tivo so I don't see how it can be the Tivo. Try making it sink in without the USB being plugged in so it doesn't have anything to do with the Tivo...
Old 10-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #20
brian1269

Quote:
Hey Oritsky, check your tuning adapter now. Was watching TV a few minutes ago and a message popped up a from the TiVo saying a TA was now connected. Light is now solid, all SDV channels now working.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #21
brian1269

OK this is frustrating. After not working all week, my TA synced up on Friday night. On Sunday, I had to restart the TiVo for something, and after the TA once again has stopped working, blinking light, SDV channels not coming in.

Edit: It did finally sync up after a half hour blinking.

Last edited by brian1269 : 10-05-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #22
Oritsky

Can't wait to find out what the resolution was. I have call into a Charter tech supervisor. I do know no update was applied to the TiVo; same software version before the problem was resolved and after.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #23
FrustratedinAR

blinking here also

I am having the same blinking issue in Arkansas with Cox cable. Please help if anyone figures this out. Mine started Thursday.
FrustratedinAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #24
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

For those of you experiencing this issue, please go to the "Tuning Adapter" menus (from TiVo Central > Settings > Device) and visit the "Downstream Status" page. Get to "Inband Freq" and then the "Switched Digital Video Status" page and check the "Status".

If your status isn't "Active" then (we believe) it isn't correctly communicating with your cable operator's "SDV Server". You'll want to review the RF connection to the tuning adapter, and make sure you have good signal strength.

If your status is "Active" and you have this issue, please email me your TSN so we can review your logs. (margret@tivo.com with the subject: "Tuning Adapter problem")

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #25
brian1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
For those of you experiencing this issue, please go to the "Tuning Adapter" menus (from TiVo Central > Settings > Device) and visit the "Downstream Status" page. Get to "Inband Freq" and then the "Switched Digital Video Status" page and check the "Status".

If your status isn't "Active" then (we believe) it isn't correctly communicating with your cable operator's "SDV Server". You'll want to review the RF connection to the tuning adapter, and make sure you have good signal strength.

If your status is "Active" and you have this issue, please email me your TSN so we can review your logs. (margret@tivo.com with the subject: "Tuning Adapter problem")

--Margret
Thank you for responding.

When I had the issue all last week with the tuning adapter not syncing, the TiVo doesn't even recognize that there's a tuning adapter connected, so you can't get into the diagnostics.

Mine seems to be back working for the moment, so I tried to view the settings you mentioned. I don't see any of those screens you mention in the Tuning Adapter Diagnostics. There are about 20 different options, but none of them are Downstream Status. I have a Cisco TA.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #26
Oritsky

It's also important to note that when the problem existed you could not getting into tuning adapter diagnostics as it did not recognize a Tuning Adapter was plugged in. IE when it shows under DVR diagnostics Tuning Adapter Connection State: Initializing