TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Wendy in NY

Thumbs down TiVo Elite: And the Spontaneous Reboots Continue...

The other spontaneous reboots thread was getting too long!

So here I am, as I write this, and my Elite is rebooting. This is the 4th spontaneous reboot since I received the 20.2 upgrade in January. Two programs were recording (which I of course have now lost a chunk of...again!) while I was watching a 3rd recorded program.

I am really at my wit's end.
Wendy in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

My box was up to 28 days without a reboot so I decided to see if the online Season pass would still make it reboot. I had not touched the online season pass since the last reboot. So shortly after messing with the online Season pass on my Elite, it rebooted. I wonder what causes my box to reboot when I mess with the Online Season Pass? It doesn't have any affect on my two tuner Premieres. But at least in my situation I know what will cause a reboot. As long as I don't mess with the online Season Pass, then it is fine.

I guess when I pick up my second Elite this month I will find out if it's something specific to my box or not. I'll pick up a second Elite in two weeks.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Wendy in NY

I've never used the Online Season Pass so I don't know what causes the reboots on my elite. I always know it's going to happen when if I'm on the menu screens and there's a long delay with every button I press and then presto! the red lights come on and there's the reboot.

However, the Elite has rebooted on it's own while I'm not watching it and the only way that I know that is if for example I'm recording The Walking Dead which is on from 9 - 10 PM. When the next day I go to the menus I'll see 2 Walking Deads, one from 9 to 9:20 and the 2nd from 9:30ish to 10. This happens A LOT and is VERY frustrating. Thank goodness for repeats.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
TZR916

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
..So shortly after messing with the online Season pass on my Elite, it rebooted. I wonder what causes my box to reboot when I mess with the Online Season Pass?.
It's not just you.
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
mchief
Morey

I would really like to get an Elite, but am still on hold. It appears that a tuning adapter is involved in a lot of the problems.

Wendy, do you have a tuning adapter in your setup?

I do not.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
I would really like to get an Elite, but am still on hold. It appears that a tuning adapter is involved in a lot of the problems.

Wendy, do you have a tuning adapter in your setup?

I do not.
Nope, no tuning adapter. Aside from the M Card, the only "external" device that is installed is the bluetooth for the slide remote. I got the Elite in October and shortly afterward the spontaneous reboots sarted. In January I got the 20.2 upgrade and I was also instructed by a TiVo tech to run the S.M.A.R.T. drive test which took a little over 24 hours. It passed. I was also told that the 20.2 upgrade would eliminate the reboots. It did for about the 1st 3 weeks after the upgrade but I'm now up to 4 or 5 reboots. I was told to change the M card, I did, but the reboots continue.

Normally I don't purchase or download anything when it first is introduced because there are always kinks etc. that need to be ironed out but the 4-tuner aspect really sold me. I'm sure that the later models will have the reboot issue resolved but then where would that leave us?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZR916 View Post
It's not just you.
Nope, and it's not just the Elite...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
My two tuners Premieres have been fine when I mess with the online season passes. And the day my Elite rebooted, I had messed with the online season passes for all my Premieres, but only the Elite rebooted.

I guess I just won't mess with the online season passes again for the Elite until after the next software update.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Soapm

Quote:
My two tuners Premieres have been fine when I mess with the online season passes. And the day my Elite rebooted, I had messed with the online season passes for all my Premieres, but only the Elite rebooted.

I guess I just won't mess with the online season passes again for the Elite until after the next software update.
Actually, it's how I get the TV in the family room. I send a season pass to my HD which makes it reboot. They get mad, clear out to watch another set and I can have the big TV. By the time they come back I'm watching something so...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Actually, it's how I get the TV in the family room. I send a season pass to my HD which makes it reboot. They get mad, clear out to watch another set and I can have the big TV. By the time they come back I'm watching something so...
So it's a feature, not a bug. Nice!
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
mattack

So, have you people with the reboots called up Tivo and complained?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Quote:
Do your Elites only reboot when you use the online season pass manager, or do they reboot at other inappropriate moments too?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy in NY View Post
The other spontaneous reboots thread was getting too long!

So here I am, as I write this, and my Elite is rebooting. This is the 4th spontaneous reboot since I received the 20.2 upgrade in January. Two programs were recording (which I of course have now lost a chunk of...again!) while I was watching a 3rd recorded program.

I am really at my wit's end.
I didn't think that the other thread was too long... Since you started this one, I have posted a link - in the old thread - so that people subscribed to it know there is a new one.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I didn't think that the other thread was too long... Since you started this one,
+1
Multiple threads on the same topic are generally not a good idea, especially when the first thread is still very active.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
ghuido

I subscribed to this one. Too Long? You should see some of the other threads (Page count at 256). Yeah it does get a bit hairy to search in it sometimes.

On a side note, if you report a reboot if you can please also provide the following info

Has anyone tracked this against

- TIVO Premiere Version (assuming everyone is at 20.2 but a spring update is coming soon)
- Carrier (Comcast/TWC/FIOS)
- CableCard/OTA
- SDV / Tuning Adapter
- Accesories Installed (External Drive, Bluetooth Remote)
- What you where doing when it rebooted on you.

The reason I ask is so that we can see if some pattern emerges from the reboots.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I didn't think that the other thread was too long... Since you started this one, I have posted a link - in the old thread - so that people subscribed to it know there is a new one.
Sorry about that. It's just I got so friggin' frustrated.

To answer someone else's question, I don't use the online season pass but the Elite still reboots.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
I subscribed to this one. Too Long? You should see some of the other threads (Page count at 256). Yeah it does get a bit hairy to search in it sometimes.

On a side note, if you report a reboot if you can please also provide the following info

Has anyone tracked this against

- TIVO Premiere Version (assuming everyone is at 20.2 but a spring update is coming soon)
- Carrier (Comcast/TWC/FIOS)
- CableCard/OTA
- SDV / Tuning Adapter
- Accesories Installed (External Drive, Bluetooth Remote)
- What you where doing when it rebooted on you.

The reason I ask is so that we can see if some pattern emerges from the reboots.
I asked for detailed info in a new thread that isn't getting much traction, hopefully users can start posting their setup:

Elite Owner Set-up Info Comparison
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=485328

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I asked for detailed info in a new thread that isn't getting much traction, hopefully users can start posting their setup:
It can also be helpful when city and state are included in the visible user profile.
Teeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
ardee00

Reboot when using online Season Pass feature

Quote:

This was happening to me too (brand new Elite), so I googled the problem and found this thread. Then I called TiVo and, because I could show it wasn't just me, the TiVo guy went and talked to the engineers then came back and told me that this is a KNOWN bug that they're working on.

I also mentioned to him that when you copy season passes from one TiVo to the other, it should preserve the priority order (duh!). It currently doesn't.

So it's back to rearranging the season passes via the remote control instead of the web site, at least for awhile. (How will we find out if they fix it? Trial and error?)
ardee00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
rrg

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the reboot problem is NOT confined to those users who are using the online Season Pass feature. While that problem certainly needs to be fixed there's more required on TiVo's part.

It's so frustrating. As far as I can tell we've never gotten any clear indication that TiVo even admits that there's a more widespread issue here.

They've gone and dropped the price of the Elite by $100, which is great, and I'd love to repurchase it, but despite years of TiVo advocacy on my part I won't go near it again until I can trust it. It's already burned me once.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
Let's not lose sight of the fact that the reboot problem is NOT confined to those users who are using the online Season Pass feature. While that problem certainly needs to be fixed there's more required on TiVo's part.
Definitely. As I've mentioned before, I don't use the online Season Pass feature and my Elite reboots. The last tech I spoke to told me that I'd need to change the M-card which I did to no avail. While Cablevision sucks, it's obviously not their card being as others here are experiencing the reboots as well.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
uw69

I wonder if TiVo will publicly acknowledge this issue or just try to implement a fix in some future update?
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
jrtroo
User

That is a strange thing to wonder. Are you thinking they will put out a PR?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm setting up my second Elite right now. Hopefully it performs like my first one does and only has issues with the online SP manager. I guess it will have to also update the software since the build date is Jan2011. I was hoping it might be newer so it wouldn't need to update now.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
I wonder if TiVo will publicly acknowledge this issue or just try to implement a fix in some future update?
Corporations will never admit to anything; until they feel certain that they have an immediate fix... It's just the way things work in these days of class action law suits.
Teeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
That is a strange thing to wonder. Are you thinking they will put out a PR?
Unless I know they are going to fix these issues I wouldn't even consider buying and elite. Bet I'm not alone.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Unless I know they are going to fix these issues I wouldn't even consider buying and elite. Bet I'm not alone.
On the fence as well...

Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
I'm setting up my second Elite right now. Hopefully it performs like my first one does and only has issues with the online SP manager. I guess it will have to also update the software since the build date is Jan2011. I was hoping it might be newer so it wouldn't need to update now.
Is Jan2011 a typo? Wasn't the Elite not released until Oct 2011?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Is Jan2011 a typo? Wasn't the Elite not released until Oct 2011?
Yes Jan2012.

So far no reboots on either of my boxes. I purposely messed with the online SP manger to transfer SPs to my new Elite, but I also changed around the SPs in my other Elite. That was 1.5 hours ago and so far nothing has rebooted. IN the past it rebooted a short time after messing with it. I'll have to check it again when I get home from work tomorrow morning.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #30
uw69

Quote:
Yes Jan2012.

So far no reboots on either of my boxes. I purposely messed with the online SP manger to transfer SPs to my new Elite, but I also changed around the SPs in my other Elite. That was 1.5 hours ago and so far nothing has rebooted. IN the past it rebooted a short time after messing with it. I'll have to check it again when I get home from work tomorrow morning.
Hope both boxes remain solid for you.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's