TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
PEMAD

Other Tuner

Hey guys,

I have a premiere and want to know if it is possible to have the other tuner be on the previous channel. Right now the way it works is that if it records on a channel the other tuner will stay on that channel while the primary tuner switches back and forth to whatever channel I choose even after the recording is done and there is nothing to record. I am pretty confident that before the major update with the HD guide if I was on lets say 745 on the primary tuner and went to 710 it would go to 710 on the other tuner and if I hit the previous channel button it will go to 745 and have the live buffer going from before.

The only workaround I found is to go to the channel the channel of what I want to watch, then go to the channel that the other tuner is on, then go to the 2nd channel I want to watch, and then manually go to the 1st channel I want. Is there anyway to have the tuners switch to each channel? (ie if I go to 705 and it is on the primary tuner and I go to 702 it will automatically use the other tuner if it is not recording).

Thanks!
PEMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The ENTER button is your previous channel. When its not recording, the other tuner becomes the previous channel. IE: press channel 200 then ch 300. switch tuner with LIVE TV button and it should be at 200.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
PEMAD

That's the problem, it actually doesn't. I was hoping there was an option that was changed that I can change back.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Just checked both my S3HD and my Premiere (with the latest SW). They both act exactly as ThAbtO indicated. Maybe you should try a restart on your Premiere.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
PEMAD

First thing I tried, unfortunately that didn't work. Anything else I can try?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEMAD View Post
Hey guys,

I have a premiere and want to know if it is possible to have the other tuner be on the previous channel. Right now the way it works is that if it records on a channel the other tuner will stay on that channel while the primary tuner switches back and forth to whatever channel I choose even after the recording is done and there is nothing to record. I am pretty confident that before the major update with the HD guide if I was on lets say 745 on the primary tuner and went to 710 it would go to 710 on the other tuner and if I hit the previous channel button it will go to 745 and have the live buffer going from before.

The only workaround I found is to go to the channel the channel of what I want to watch, then go to the channel that the other tuner is on, then go to the 2nd channel I want to watch, and then manually go to the 1st channel I want. Is there anyway to have the tuners switch to each channel? (ie if I go to 705 and it is on the primary tuner and I go to 702 it will automatically use the other tuner if it is not recording).

Thanks!
If you're asking what I think you're asking, I'm pretty sure it never worked that way. The Live TV button switches tuners, and the Enter button swaps to the last channel on the current tuner (without switching). Changing channels (with the Enter button or any other way) will dump the live buffer on that tuner. If you want to keep two live buffers going, you have to switch tuners without changing the channel on either tuner. You pause before switching so you don't lose your place in the buffer, and if a recording starts then the orphaned buffer ahead of it will disappear when you get to the end (where the recording started). I don't watch much live TV, but I'm sure somebody will correct me if I've garbled this somehow.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

What actually happens when you press LIVE TV?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
PEMAD

When I press Live TV it goes to whatever the other tuner channel is on and not the previous channel.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEMAD View Post
When I press Live TV it goes to whatever the other tuner channel is on and not the previous channel.
I believe thats the way its supposed to work.

If I'm on channel 300 and I punch in channel 500, then hit Enter/Last, I am taken back to channel 300 on the same tuner.

If I'm on channel 300 and I hit Live TV, then punch in channel 500, my two tuners are now on channels 300 and 500 respectively.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If you're asking what I think you're asking, I'm pretty sure it never worked that way. The Live TV button switches tuners, and the Enter button swaps to the last channel on the current tuner (without switching). Changing channels (with the Enter button or any other way) will dump the live buffer on that tuner. If you want to keep two live buffers going, you have to switch tuners without changing the channel on either tuner. You pause before switching so you don't lose your place in the buffer, and if a recording starts then the orphaned buffer ahead of it will disappear when you get to the end (where the recording started). I don't watch much live TV, but I'm sure somebody will correct me if I've garbled this somehow.
Not quite on the Enter button.

The Enter button changes to the previous channel. That's usually but not always on the same tuner. However Sometimes Enter will swap tuners rather than dumping the buffer and changing the channel on the same tuner. This usually happens because you were using the channel up/down buttons and went past the channel the other tuner was on. TiVo tries to keep the tuners on different channels; and this can make the scenario surprisingly complicated.

Say tuner 1 is on channel 5, and tuner 2 is on channel 4. Switch to tuner 2 and press channel up. Instead of having both tuners on channel 5 the TiVo will automatically swap tuners. You'll be watching channel 5, but suddenly be on tuner 1. At this point if you press Enter the TiVo will again avoid having two tuners on the same channel by swapping tuners. (The channel each tuner is on didn't change in this scenario; just which tuner you were watching)

But if you'd pressed channel up again you'd have tuner 1 on channel 6 (having dumped its buffer) and tuner 2 still on channel 4. Pressing enter at that point would cause tuner 1 change back to channel 5 (dumping its buffer again).

Note: Previous paragraph assumes channel 5 isn't actively being recorded while you're doing this. If it was recording then the behavior is slightly different. Tuner 1 = Chan 5; Tuner 2 = Chan 4; from chan 4 press chan up. You're now watching Tuner 1 on Chan 5 (so no chance so far). But press up again and TiVo can't dump the Chan 5 buffer because its part of a recording, so it changes Tuner 2 to channel 6 and switches you back to watching tuner 2.

LiveTV always swaps tuners, it will never dump the buffer of any tuner. (Nitpick; if the TiVo gets into remote backwards compatibility mode LiveTV will actually bring up the guide instead of changing tuners. But it still won't dump any buffers)
Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
PEMAD

So basically there is no way to have the tuners swap when switching channels is what basically everyone is telling me. That is too bad, was hoping there was a way to get it to work the way I would like it to work.

At least I found out the Live TV button works as a tuner switcher which will make the mind numbing task of have both tuners on the channels I want a *little* easier.

If anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Why do you need to get the tuners to swap? Just hit the record button on both tuners and you can swap between tuners to your hearts content.

The TiVo will eventually delete the content or you can delete it manually. It won't make any difference to the TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote