TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
DonaldBurns65144

Return FIOS DVR - keep cablecard. Y/N?

Just received a notice from FIOS regarding their fees on their DVR's going up a buck/mt. (Ditto on HD going up) We have one that is used about once in a blue moon that I'm thinking that it's about time to return it to them. The plan would be to replace our existing Premiere XL with an Elite and then move the XL to the TV with the FIOS DVR. Question then is how much of a hassle will it be in keeping the cablecard (in the FIOS DVR) and returning just the DVR back to Verizon? Anyone done that? Or will they make me return both DVR and card and then get a new cablecard? Can I self install if the later?
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBurns65144 View Post
Just received a notice from FIOS regarding their fees on their DVR's going up a buck/mt. (Ditto on HD going up) We have one that is used about once in a blue moon that I'm thinking that it's about time to return it to them. The plan would be to replace our existing Premiere XL with an Elite and then move the XL to the TV with the FIOS DVR. Question then is how much of a hassle will it be in keeping the cablecard (in the FIOS DVR) and returning just the DVR back to Verizon? Anyone done that? Or will they make me return both DVR and card and then get a new cablecard? Can I self install if the later?
The cable card goes with the STB. You are not supposed to remove it. Just take the box to the local FiOS store and pick up a cable card when you turn the box in.

although I guess you could call and ask them and see if they will let you keep the card. But otherwise it might open up a big can of worms if they get the box back with out the cable card in it.

If you are interetsted in VOD form FiOs you could also drop the DVR and just get the HD STB to save some money. The VOD features will still be the same.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

They won't want the card removed. Just order a cablecard the same time you return the DVR. Fios makes it easy to setup.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

FYI. The phone reps told me to go to the Verizon Service Center to pick up a cable card. When I got there they told me they don't stock them in that location.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
FYI. The phone reps told me to go to the Verizon Service Center to pick up a cable card. When I got there they told me they don't stock them in that location.
Sounds typical of FiOS customer support. I really wish their customer support was as good as Verizon wireless.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
pmiranda

It will screw up their inventory management if you keep the cablecard, so then they would think they have a cablecard somewhere and they actually don't and somebody might go to an office to pick one up and they won't be able to find it. :-/
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Thinkdiff

FWIW, I've been told/seen it written that the CableCARDs used in STBs will not activate in any other devices besides the one it ships with. Not sure if that's accurate, but I can definitely see Verizon having a problem with you taking the CableCARD out of their DVR.

I actually did the same exact thing this week - replaced the Verizon DVR with a TiVo HD. I ordered a CableCARD from Verizon online on Monday. They charge $9.99 to ship it out, but it arrived the very next day. Installation took 5 minutes.
Thinkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
HenryFarpolo

Don't know where you are North of Boston, but I got mine in Acton. Just call ahead.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
sabre70

Like others have said just return the box. If you have a Verizon store near you just go there and return the box and set up a Cable card install. I'm lucky there is a store about 2 miles from me and they are great to deal with rather than the call in #. Good luck.
sabre70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
oViTynoT
Obvious Forum Lurker

Most "Verizon" stores are just Verizon Wireless -- No equipment for FiOS. They may ACCEPT equipment returns at those locations, though.

The shops here in the D/FW area that have FiOS equipment are called "Verizon Plus" stores.
oViTynoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oViTynoT View Post
Most "Verizon" stores are just Verizon Wireless -- No equipment for FiOS. They may ACCEPT equipment returns at those locations, though.

The shops here in the D/FW area that have FiOS equipment are called "Verizon Plus" stores.
We have standalone Verizon stores here that just sell and service FIOS products. There are no Verizon Wireless products inside.

There was a Verizon Wireless store in downtown Boston that had a Verizon FIOS section. I think they took it out. They don't even offer FIOS in Boston! I couldn't figure out why they would put it in a city that doesn't even offer the service.