TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
jcthorne

Ad detection VRD or Comskip?

Is there really any difference in capability or accuracy between the two?

I currently use VRD to run ad detect and then manually check/fix the edits before saving and recodeing files to mp4.

Would doing the ad detection in kmttg using comskip do significantly better?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I think the general consensus is that no automatic commercial detection software is totally accurate over a wide variety of video files. Thus if you can't tolerate errors, a manual review is needed. ComSkip appears to be more complex, with more tuning parameters, than VRD Ad Detective, and probably can do better when tuned to a particular subset of input files. For either choice, some people have reported near perfect performance on their particular set of of input files.

Both kmttg and VAP can run either choice and can suspend processing of a file until you manually review/adjust the cuts.

My guess is if you want to realize superior performance with Comskip, you probably will have to invest considerable time tuning it.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
jcthorne

Interesting. Thanks.

I work with so many different shows from different networks that tuning for one would likely make things worse for another. And I would still need to manual edit to get them right. Guess I will stick with what is working.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
reneg

I also use VRD Ad Detect with manual review. I see a clear relation between ad detection accuracy and TV network. VRD Ad Detect works really well on networks (like CBS) that use black frames between ads and the programs. Other networks (like Syfy) that fade out/fade in with little to no separation between ad and program require more manual review. It also seems like each network has there own style as to when and how long their ad breaks occur. I generally know when an ad will start.

I've tried comskip a few times, but always revert back to VRD ad detect because of familiarity and comfort.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Ad detective (and Comskip by proxy) is useless. What's the point if I have to go back and manually fine tune the edit?
On top of that, if there are dark scenes in the show, you get a lot of false positives.

I've grown accustomed to the different patterns each network uses in their commercial blocks and it just seems faster for me to manually edit out the commercials and be on my way.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Ad detective (and Comskip by proxy) is useless. What's the point if I have to go back and manually fine tune the edit?
The point is it takes far less time to trim an edit that is 4 or 5 seconds off on one or both ends than to try to find the edits manually.

Quote:
On top of that, if there are dark scenes in the show, you get a lot of false positives.
True enough. It usually only takes a moment to recognize a false positive, however.

Quote:
I've grown accustomed to the different patterns each network uses in their commercial blocks and it just seems faster for me to manually edit out the commercials and be on my way.
First of all, unless it is a network series or a "made for TV" movie, the breaks are usually quite random in position and length. Secondly, clicking on the "Jump to cut" button takes a fraction of a second. Adjusting from there certainly takes no more time than jumping to a timestamp and adjusting.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
msmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614
That's why I use comskip, it references audio volume in addition to black frames.

As dlfl mentioned, neither VRD's AdDetective or comskip are perfect, but for me, I find that comskip does a better job.

I'm also a VAP user and use the review option to make final adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irhorer
The point is it takes far less time to trim an edit that is 4 or 5 seconds off on one or both ends than to try to find the edits manually.
+1
Old 09-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
consumedsoul

Are these ad detect/removal/editing software additional apps/plugins I need to install on top of kmttg? (sorry newb question probably)
Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
Are these ad detect/removal/editing software additional apps/plugins I need to install on top of kmttg? (sorry newb question probably)
For Windows the kmttg install will include comskip among other tools.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote