TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
PAT ADLARD

hdmi to dvi with audio

Hi, I have Philips flat Screen TV, and last November I aquired a Virgin Media Tivo Box, While the Tivo is very adaptable, on installation, the fitter said that as the Tivo box has HDMI output, and my TV has DVI input we would not be able to watch TV in HD, and said that a suitable HDMI to DVI with a separate audio was available almost worldwide.We settled on connection via a scart cable, but that does not carry HD data. I have searched almost nightly to find such a cable, and they seem to be non existent, has anybody out there experienced this problem,and if they have, what is the solution. I have contacted Virgin Media and Philips and have not had a satisfactory solution. So I have a HD TV, a Tivo box that will provide HD. and I am unable to watch.........
PAT ADLARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
lpwcomp

What type of audio input is paired with the DVI input on the TV?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT ADLARD View Post
Hi, I have Philips flat Screen TV, and last November I aquired a Virgin Media Tivo Box, While the Tivo is very adaptable, on installation, the fitter said that as the Tivo box has HDMI output, and my TV has DVI input we would not be able to watch TV in HD, and said that a suitable HDMI to DVI with a separate audio was available almost worldwide.We settled on connection via a scart cable, but that does not carry HD data. I have searched almost nightly to find such a cable, and they seem to be non existent, has anybody out there experienced this problem,and if they have, what is the solution. I have contacted Virgin Media and Philips and have not had a satisfactory solution. So I have a HD TV, a Tivo box that will provide HD. and I am unable to watch.........
If im reading you right you have been given bad informatiom. DVI does carry HD video signal, DVI does NOT carry any audio signals.
You can buy a HDMI to DVI cable many places, one of the cheapest would be Monprice.com.
Using a HDMI to DVI cable you would need a seperate connection for audio, either RCA cables, otpical cable or coax.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
lrhorer

Quote:
Hi, I have Philips flat Screen TV, and last November I aquired a Virgin Media Tivo Box, While the Tivo is very adaptable, on installation, the fitter said that as the Tivo box has HDMI output, and my TV has DVI input we would not be able to watch TV in HD
This is completely false. First of all, if your TV has a component input, you can use the component output from the TiVo. Secondly, a DVI input is fully compatible with the video of an HDMI output. The only issue is DVI does not support audio of any sort. A $15 HDMI / DVI cable will work just fine for the video.

Quote:
and said that a suitable HDMI to DVI with a separate audio was available almost worldwide.
I don't know of one, and while it is certainly possible to separte the audio and video on an HDMI connector, I don't know of any devices that will accept HDMI audio only.

Quote:
We settled on connection via a scart cable, but that does not carry HD data.
Scart?

Quote:
I have searched almost nightly to find such a cable, and they seem to be non existent, has anybody out there experienced this problem,and if they have, what is the solution. I have contacted Virgin Media and Philips and have not had a satisfactory solution. So I have a HD TV, a Tivo box that will provide HD. and I am unable to watch.........
You don't mention how you are attempting to provide audio. Are you using an A/V Receiver? If so, does it have an HDMI input? If so, then just take the HDMI output from the TiVo to the AVR, and then convert the AVR's HDMI output to DVI with an adapter. If not, then take either the digital audio output or the analog audio output from the TiVo and send it to whatever device you are using for audio, and use an HDMI / DVI adapter cable from the TiVo to the TV.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
kent_the_geek
ktg1

Slightly Rube Goldberg Solution

Get Monoprice model 5557, which does a bunch of stuff (switching) you don't seem to need. It does siphon off the audio to optical, coax, and analog stereo outputs. You can also get HDMI to DVI cables from Monoprice. I've used one of these before and it worked very well. You may or may not have HDCP issues with your TV.

Last edited by kent_the_geek : 03-13-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added more info
kent_the_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
This is completely false. First of all, if your TV has a component input, you can use the component output from the TiVo.
That would be rather difficult since the Virgin Media TiVo doesn't have component output.

Quote:
Secondly, a DVI input is fully compatible with the video of an HDMI output. The only issue is DVI does not support audio of any sort. A $15 HDMI / DVI cable will work just fine for the video
With no audio.

Quote:
I don't know of one, and while it is certainly possible to separte the audio and video on an HDMI connector, I don't know of any devices that will accept HDMI audio only.
He doesn't want to separate it, he wants to convert it to something usable by his TV. And such devices do exist.

Quote:
Scart?
Yes, SCART. Google is your friend.

Quote:
You don't mention how you are attempting to provide audio. Are you using an A/V Receiver? If so, does it have an HDMI input? If so, then just take the HDMI output from the TiVo to the AVR, and then convert the AVR's HDMI output to DVI with an adapter. If not, then take either the digital audio output or the analog audio output from the TiVo and send it to whatever device you are using for audio, and use an HDMI / DVI adapter cable from the TiVo to the TV.
Geez. How about giving him a chance to answer the question. Why do you assume the VM TiVo has analog audio out? It doesn't.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_the_geek View Post
Get Monoprice model 5557, which does a bunch of stuff (switching) you don't seem to need. It does siphon off the audio to optical, coax, and analog stereo outputs. You can also get HDMI to DVI cables from Monoprice. I've used one of these before and it worked very well. You may or may not have HDCP issues with your TV.
Yeah, I found that one too. Would be cheaper get an HDMI to DVI adapter/cable and a Digital Toslink to analog converter(Amazon actually has a lower price for the latter than monoprice). But, since we as yet have no idea what kind of audio input is associated with the DVI input, we're speculating.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Scart?
It's a European thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
jcthorne

Before he bothers spending much money on cables etc, OP needs to find out if the DVI input on his tv supports HDCP Digital Rights Management. If not, he will need a HDMI to analog component converter that strips HDCP issues from HD content like the HD Fury.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
poppagene
User

Your Philips flat screen with dvi input only has served you well and is ready for retirement. You'll find the newer models all have hdmi and many useful features that your current television lacks.
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote