TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
luckydenvermint
Lucky

Question How to use Tivo Series 2 with only an HD Antenna (No cable or satellite box).

I have a Tivo Series 2 DT. I have moved and am currently using an HD Antenna to receive free broadcasts. How do I use my tivo series 2 with my current configuration of only an antenna. This type of Tivo is not compatible without a satellite or cable box, however I don't have either, nor do I intend on getting either. I am stumped when the guided set up asks me for the type of satellite/cable box that I am using. I can't seem to make anything work. Thank you in advance!

Ps, Also, my TV only has one Coax hookup. Do I hook the HD Antenna up to the TV Coax and not use the Tivo Coax at all? Or do I get a Coax splitter? I am pretty new to this so any help is appreciated.
luckydenvermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

First, you are going to have to get an OTA digital converter box.
Second, since the S2 DT doesn't *officially* support OTA (IIRC), you are going to have to use some 'southern' engineering to get it to work.
Also note you will lose the dual tuner functionality since the Tivo is only capable of controlling one converter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydenvermint View Post
I have a Tivo Series 2 DT. I have moved and am currently using an HD Antenna to receive free broadcasts. How do I use my tivo series 2 with my current configuration of only an antenna. This type of Tivo is not compatible without a satellite or cable box, however I don't have either, nor do I intend on getting either. I am stumped when the guided set up asks me for the type of satellite/cable box that I am using. I can't seem to make anything work. Thank you in advance!

Ps, Also, my TV only has one Coax hookup. Do I hook the HD Antenna up to the TV Coax and not use the Tivo Coax at all? Or do I get a Coax splitter? I am pretty new to this so any help is appreciated.
The S2 DT has analog tuners and associated circuitry designed to work with what is known as NTSC signals.

With the exception of a few left-over low power stations, they don't broadcast NTSC signals anymore.

Now it's ATSC, and it's digital, and the Series 1 and Series 2 models were never designed to work with either over-the-air ATSC digital channels or digital cable channels.

Also, the dual tuner Series 2, unlike the older single tuner S2 and S1 models, came along when the government was requiring that stuff with over-the-air TV tuners had to have both NTSC and ATSC tuners to handle the NTSC channels that were still on the air at the time and to handle the switchover to ATSC that was coming.

TiVo, in order to keep the cost down, only put analog cable channel tuners in the S2 DT, which is why Guided Setup on it doesn't offer Antenna as an option, just analog cable without a box, cable with a box, and satellite.

You might be able to trick it into partially working with what's come to be known as a coupon box.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I have used a Series 2 DT box by setting it up as dTV and using a 'DTV pal' or 'DTV pal plus' digital converter box. You don't get the dash channels (i.e. the channels such as 7.2 or 9.3) when trying to do timed recording, and the channels are not all correct as far as the name and such, but it does work. The program guide will also be wrong in some cases. (you can pm me if you want to talk about it over the phone.)
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
cannonz

If the DT is lifetime, I'm sure you could trade for a single tuner lifetime and get some cash and easy set up with DTA tivo.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
If the DT is lifetime, I'm sure you could trade for a single tuner lifetime and get some cash and easy set up with DTA tivo.
True. DT are worth about twice what single tuners are.
In fact, I am in Denver and might be interested in a trade if luckydenvermint is actually in Denver

Last edited by replaytv : 03-14-2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: to add last line
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
classicsat
Astute User

A small education, for the benefit of Unitron, or at least clarification.

The Series 2 DT was launched in spring 2006. At the later time of its development, it was well known that by the end of February 2007, that such a device would have to have an ATSC tuner, or no antenna capable tuner at all.

The Series 2 DT, as released, was made to work with only analog cable, or box based pay services, for the Feb/Mar 2007 FCC tuner date. For some reason, they got away with an analog only tuner, probably because it was officially not antenna capable.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
A small education, for the benefit of Unitron, or at least clarification.

The Series 2 DT was launched in spring 2006. At the later time of its development, it was well known that by the end of February 2007, that such a device would have to have an ATSC tuner, or no antenna capable tuner at all.

The Series 2 DT, as released, was made to work with only analog cable, or box based pay services, for the Feb/Mar 2007 FCC tuner date. For some reason, they got away with an analog only tuner, probably because it was officially not antenna capable.
Are you correcting what I said, or expanding on it?

(and don't capitalize me, it tickles )

On a different note, motorcycle_rider over in the image thread could probably use your advice about 130 images.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote