TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #61
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Yes......lol. It creates one if one doesn't exist. Rename your .conf file and open pyTivo to the WebAdmin settings. Change something like add a share and it will create the pyTivo conf with those settings.
Ah I see... You don't HAVE to create the pyTivo.conf file BEFORE you can launch the Web Interface... So that's certainly better... It launches once you get ffmpeg installed in it... Which brings up ANOTHER question... Actually two...

1. Why isn't the latest version of ffmpeg simply included with the software download too?

and secondly,

2. Why isn't a basic working copy (for video anyway) of the pyTivo.conf file included with the Software download?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #62
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Ah I see... You don't HAVE to create the pyTivo.conf file BEFORE you can launch the Web Interface... So that's certainly better... It launches once you get ffmpeg installed in it... Which brings up ANOTHER question... Actually two...

1. Why isn't the latest version of ffmpeg simply included with the software download too?

and secondly,

2. Why isn't a basic working copy (for video anyway) of the pyTivo.conf file included with the Software download?
Hey hold on... I just realized. There IS NO COPY of ffmpeg in the latest pyTivo download from wmcbrine... Or at least I never added one to the folder (nor did I have to create a "bin" folder within the main folder to place it in). Does that mean he's including it along with the pyTivo download now?

THAT would be awesome... Is it true? All I did was throw the folder into my Applications folder and double clicked the new Launcher App Fofer and I came up with. Is that really all it's gonna take now? If so...

I'll have to shoot wmcbrine a PM and see what's going on with this latest version.. It SEEMS like he's made it a lot easier to install... I'd like to think I had something to do with that...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #63
gteague
golftango

are you sure you don't have another ffmpeg file or folder somewhere else on your system? it's easy to acquire a half-dozen of these as many video-oriented apps use it and one could be on a shared path for any app to utilize. and a spotlight search might not show all of them.

as to why some of these things aren't included in the packages, that would mean the author would have to be continually checking for the latest version to include--that's a lot of swapping in and out. this way, the user gets to make sure he or she is getting the latest version of the utility.

/guy
Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #64
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
are you sure you don't have another ffmpeg file or folder somewhere else on your system? it's easy to acquire a half-dozen of these as many video-oriented apps use it and one could be on a shared path for any app to utilize. and a spotlight search might not show all of them.

as to why some of these things aren't included in the packages, that would mean the author would have to be continually checking for the latest version to include--that's a lot of swapping in and out. this way, the user gets to make sure he or she is getting the latest version of the utility.

/guy
I'm not sure. I definitely have a copy of ffmpeg on my desktop... probably some others too after all this. Do you think it's simply finding the other copy and using it? I PM'd wmcbrine and asked him if it was being included now. If he did that, I could almost get rid of this Tutorial.

Think about it... If it came with a basic working copy of the pyTivo.conf file AND it came with ffmpeg, then all folks would have to do is simply download the folder and then double click the little Launcher App we came up with. BAM it shows up on their Tivo boxes and they are done.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #65
Iluvatar

Quote:

and secondly,

1. Why would they want to do this? FFmpeg is free and open source and available to everyone. It is not the easiest to build yourself but is available from others and is only a google search away. Also pyTivo is on multiple platforms. Would we provide a 10MB file for each? Windows, OSX, Linux, others. What about CPU's? x86, x86-64, ARM, others.....pyTivo can literally run on anything that Python can which is very extensive. As it is now pyTivo is less than 500KB packaged. With all those FFmpeg files it could easily be 100MB or more.

2. Video sample settings among others are already provided in 3 locations with pyTivo: pyTivo.conf.dist, pyTivo WebAdmin page provides examples of every setting, pyTivo Wiki provides examples of almost every setting. Projects like pyTivo seek to maximize capability and customization. You can't satisfy everyone so why not provide the user complete control and only provide samples. There are people out there who don't use pyTivo for video but for music and photos only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #66
Iluvatar

Quote:
Hey hold on... I just realized. There IS NO COPY of ffmpeg in the latest pyTivo download from wmcbrine... Or at least I never added one to the folder (nor did I have to create a "bin" folder within the main folder to place it in). Does that mean he's including it along with the pyTivo download now?

THAT would be awesome... Is it true? All I did was throw the folder into my Applications folder and double clicked the new Launcher App Fofer and I came up with. Is that really all it's gonna take now? If so...

I'll have to shoot wmcbrine a PM and see what's going on with this latest version.. It SEEMS like he's made it a lot easier to install... I'd like to think I had something to do with that...
FFmpeg is not required for pyTivo to operate. It can go perfectly well transferring .Tivo, .mpg and .vob files to the TiVo without it.

and
for OS X
Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #67
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

/guy
Yeah, but the guy who's writing this software obviously has to have the right version of ffmpeg for pyTivo to work for HIM, (assuming these guys all have TiVos) so why not just save everyone a lot of hassle and simply put THAT version in the download?

If someone wants to get fancy, they can go look around for other versions, or make their own custom version. For the vast majority of folks I think having it work out of the box would be a welcome addition.

Side note: I hope none of what I'm trying to do here is misconstrued as disrespect... quite the opposite. I LOVE pyTivo and I just want to see it more accessible to folks who don't have a Unix background.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #68
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
1. Why would they want to do this? FFmpeg is free and open source and available to everyone. It is not the easiest to build yourself but is available from others and is only a google search away. Also pyTivo is on multiple platforms. Would we provide a 10MB file for each? Windows, OSX, Linux, others. What about CPU's? x86, x86-64, ARM, others.....pyTivo can literally run on anything that Python can which is very extensive. As it is now pyTivo is less than 500KB packaged. With all those FFmpeg files it could easily be 100MB or more.
Because it would make it "just work" out of the box. All people would need to do is download the folder and double click the little Launcher we created. I didn't realize there were different versions of ffmpeg for different OS's... I suppose that would make it a lot harder. Didn't know that.. thought it was all just "Unix"....

Last edited by bareyb : 02-24-2012 at 08:37 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #69
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
FFmpeg is not required for pyTivo to operate. It can go perfectly well transferring .Tivo, .mpg and .vob files to the TiVo without it.
Wait. WHAT? Then why are jumping through hoops to download it and install the latest version? No disrespect intended, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around all these steps and if they are all necessary nor not...

Anyway, I'm not the guys who distributes the Software, so it's not my call. I just need to know how to update this thread... Do I still tell people to get the latest version of ffmpeg and add it to a bin folder inside pyTivo or not?

Last edited by bareyb : 02-24-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #70
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Wait. WHAT? Then why are jumping through hoops to download it and install the latest version?
Because there's lots of video out there that is not in any of those three formats. Lots of .avi's, for example.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #71
Iluvatar

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not the guys who distributes the Software, so it's not my call. I just need to know how to update this thread... Do I still tell people to get the latest version of ffmpeg and add it to a bin folder inside pyTivo or not?
Due to a multitude of reasons, FFmpeg will probably not be distributed as you want it with pyTivo but instead remain as an addon. It's not my call either. I could decide to provide a copy of it in my fork but that would help all of the 3 people who probably use it (and it would take at least 2 different copies! One for x86 and one for PowerPC for just OS X). I'm content providing updated FFmpeg builds to everyone else. Its availability is described for each of the major platforms in it's respective installation page on the pyTivo wiki. I provide easy access to the OS X version. rdian06 provided the Windows version. Linux.....is more complicated but are still provided instructions on how to obtain it.

FFmpeg is greatly useful to pyTivo but not required. 95% of people who use pyTivo will want it. Nearly 100% of MY files are NOT in a .Tivo/.mpg/.vob format so FFmpeg is required for MY use of pyTivo but may not be so for someone who only wants to archive their TiVo recordings.

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-24-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #72
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

A compiled binary of FFmpeg does not belong in a source code repository. That's what you're all downloading from. A proper, user-oriented distribution of pyTivo would be platform-specific, and could include a compiled FFmpeg. In the past, people have sometimes offered such distributions -- pyTivoX is an example -- but those people have tended to fall by the wayside over time, and currently, no one is doing it.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #73
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Due to a multitude of reasons, FFmpeg will probably not be distributed as you want it with pyTivo but instead remain as an addon. It's not my call either. I could decide to provide a copy of it in my fork but that would help all of the 3 people who probably use it (and it would take at least 2 different copies! One for x86 and one for PowerPC for just OS X). I'm content providing updated FFmpeg builds to everyone else. Its availability is described for each of the major platforms in it's respective installation page on the pyTivo wiki. I provide easy access to the OS X version. rdian06 provided the Windows version. Linux.....is more complicated but are still provided instructions on how to obtain it.

FFmpeg is greatly useful to pyTivo but not required. 95% of people who use pyTivo will want it. Nearly 100% of MY files are NOT in a .Tivo/.mpg/.vob format so FFmpeg is required for MY use of pyTivo but may not be so for someone who only wants to archive their TiVo recordings.
I can see that now. I thought ffmpeg was Cross Platform. It would be hard enough to keep up with just the Mac side, I can see how that could become cumbersome. I guess I'm just grateful somebody is willing to make one for the Mac.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-24-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #74
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Either way, big thanks to wmcbrine as this new version seems to be much easier to install since we can now eliminate "Step Four" which is where a lot of folks run into trouble.

Is this it in a nutshell now?

1. Download the latest version of pyTivo

2. Download the latest version of ffmpeg and stick it in the pyTivo folder

3. Enter the "launch code" into Terminal

4. Launch the Webpage and finish up there....

Does that about sum it up?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #75
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Either way, big thanks to wmcbrine as this new version seems to be much easier to install since we can now eliminate "Step Four" which is where a lot of folks run into trouble.

Is this it in a nutshell now?

1. Download the latest version of pyTivo

2. Download the latest version of ffmpeg and stick it in the pyTivo folder

3. Enter the "launch code" into Terminal

4. Launch the Webpage and finish up there....

Does that about sum it up?
Yep. That's it. Much easier now... Why did you wait until AFTER I'd done the Tutorial to change this?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #76
gteague
golftango

well, i found when i went to install it that the actual steps weren't the problem, my problem (and it could have just been me as i tend to hurry and overlook things in my older years) was that i didn't seem to be able to get all the information i wanted in one location and it was hard to try to synthesize the different web sites and wikis and readmes and faqs into one clear, coherent install path. those problems stem from there being old and new versions of documentation side by side. also, i didn't have a clear understanding what components worked with which other components and which components were optional. i'm sure most of this was me trying to read too fast, but still, i'm an ex-linux admin and i still had difficulty, so i can imagine some mac users are completely overwhelmed.

but now we have the unified bareyb theory of pytivo install which hopefully allows a newbie to just follow the bouncing ball.

/guy
Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #77
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
well, i found when i went to install it that the actual steps weren't the problem, my problem (and it could have just been me as i tend to hurry and overlook things in my older years) was that i didn't seem to be able to get all the information i wanted in one location and it was hard to try to synthesize the different web sites and wikis and readmes and faqs into one clear, coherent install path. those problems stem from there being old and new versions of documentation side by side. also, i didn't have a clear understanding what components worked with which other components and which components were optional. i'm sure most of this was me trying to read too fast, but still, i'm an ex-linux admin and i still had difficulty, so i can imagine some mac users are completely overwhelmed.

but now we have the unified bareyb theory of pytivo install which hopefully allows a newbie to just follow the bouncing ball.

/guy
You summed up my problems in a nutshell. It was chaos trying to get all the right bits and getting them all to work on my computer. In the end, my Mac added an invisible .txt extension to the .conf file (a process that has now been completely eliminated in the new version, thanks to wmcbrine), and I'd downloaded the wrong version of ffmpeg. I completely gave up back in 2008 and it's been sticking in my craw ever since.

I plan to stay on top of both of the threads (at the pyTivo forum too) for as long as I still keep getting replies and it appears that people need it. The new version of pyTivo makes installing about 30% easier because it eliminates the need for people to have to create their own pyTivo.conf file before they can get to the Web GUI. Fofer's Launcher makes it an additional 30% easier by not having people entering command lines into Terminal to launch the program. Between the two, we are definitely moving in the right direction in terms of "user experience" which I think is important consideration too. I'm hoping that people won't be as intimidated by it now that there are step by step instructions.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-25-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #78
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttersby8 View Post
First, thanks for all the useful info.

I'm having trouble getting the .plist to function properly. The file looks precisely like the one you've posted, the path is correct (in fact, is identical to yours - I just copied/pasted), I've checked (several times) to make sure it's not a .txt or .rtf file. I reboot ... no joy.

I use pyTivo all the time and intend to keep it running in the background. It works great when running it manually through Terminal, but having to restart it every time I reboot, and not having access to Terminal while it's running is getting really annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also ...

Emphasis mine ... I assume this is a typo, and you meant "anything other than .plist"?
By the way, wanted to let you know I fixed the typos too. I'd simply copied and pasted my instructions from the pyTivo.conf file instructions (which ironically are no longer needed) so as to keep the guide language consistent.

I'm running pyTivo in the background as we speak. I checked my CPU usage (I'm transferring a Movie to TiVo right now) and it's barely using 8% so I guess I'm not having the CPU "hog" issues some folks were complaining about when pyTivo is transferring. Seems to work perfectly.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #79
gteague
golftango

for most of my external video viewing purposes, i find streambaby to be the nearly perfect solution. streams don't take up hd resources on the tivo and they seem to respond to 'scrubbing' back and forth much better than trying to play a transferred video while it's transferring. and if you transfer a file to the tivo, it gets lost in your playing list unless you go to that link posted above a day or so ago and try to get it into a folder. it sounded like voodoo and chicken blood to get that to work!

but having pytivo for those times i actually need to transfer a file is invaluable. i've been using (or trying to use) toast tivo transfer and tivo desktop prefpane and both those methods need conversion for nearly every file. so now, for a 1.5gb file you've got an hour conversion process (i even got one of those usb stick accelerators by elgato) and then at least an hour transfer. pytivo has transferred every type of video i've thrown at it so far except for avchd (.mts) files which are an unreasonable expectation for any but a cutting edge video system on top hardware to process. i love to hear the windows guys howl when they get a new camera that shoots this format and they can't do anything with it! perverse of me, i'm sure ... but i have that kind of sense of humor.

/guy
Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #80
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I haven't had a much chance to really try it out since we went Skiing right when I got it working. Now that I'm home, I'm very impressed with it. I just transferred a 45 minute show in about 20 minutes over Wifi and that was with transcoding. That's not bad at all.

I don't mind having them reside on my Hard drive for awhile, I can always delete them and transfer them again. I have a total of 4 TB in Hard Drive space between my three TiVos so I'm not all that worried about space.

ETA: Wow that really sucks about Toast... I was considering going that route if I couldn't get pyTivo to work. I guess I'm glad I got it working...
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #81
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I notice on the new version that there is nothing entered in any of the Global Server Settings. I could have sworn it had the Port and ffmpeg values in there before... Am I high?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2012-02-25 at 12.24.19 AM.jpg (53.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #82
gteague
golftango

Quote:
<del>
ETA: Wow that really sucks about Toast... I was considering going that route if I couldn't get pyTivo to work. I guess I'm glad I got it working...
well, i admit i haven't tried toast transfer since updating from v10 to v11 a few weeks ago. perhaps they've improved the process and incorporated more auto-converters, but all the 'extras' (utilities) they throw in such as tivo transfer sure appear to be unchanged.

/guy
Old 02-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #83
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I notice on the new version that there is nothing entered in any of the Global Server Settings. I could have sworn it had the Port and ffmpeg values in there before... Am I high?
Ah. Not high... It now defaults to the proper port and bin where ffmpeg is located. Very nice. That must be how he was able to get it to work without having to put a pyTivo.conf file in place first. Very clever...
Quote:
port

Default Setting: 9032

Valid Entries: 1-65535

Required: No

Skill: Basic

Description: The port which pyTivo uses to serve your files. Can be changed if it conflicts with another program.

Example Settings: 9032

Quote:
ffmpeg

Default Setting: None

Valid Entries: Operating system path

Skill: Basic

Description: This is the full path to your ffmpeg binary. If not set, pyTivo checks for it in a "bin" subdirectory, and then in the PATH. If no ffmpeg is found, pyTivo will operate in a limited mode, serving only MPEG and TiVo files in video shares, and only MP3 files in music shares, with no seek capability.

Example Settings: Linux = /usr/bin/ffmpeg | Windows = c:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe

Last edited by bareyb : 02-25-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #84
gteague
golftango

that was one point where i screwed up slightly and had to fight to get it sorted out. also working on getting kmttg installed and put my ffmpeg folder in that directory. thus my path was wrong to begin with and i ended up with 3 separate ffmpeg's because i didn't know which one was being used by what!

that was another bonus of starting over this time--i got to clean all that cruft up.

/guy
Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #85
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I put together a "pyTivo for Mac OSX" bundle just now, but the Forum wouldn't let me upload at either site. At 12.8 megabytes, I'm guessing it's probably over the forum Upload limit.

Quote:
Quick Start: If you are in a hurry (and who isn't?) you can download a pre-packaged "pyTivo for Mac OSX" bundle. It has everything you need to get started in one easy download. It includes a "bin" folder containing ffmepg, as well as a copy of Fofer's "pyTivo Laucher App". Here's how to get it:

1. Download pre-packaged "pyTivo for Mac OSX" bundle here: <link>
*optionally you can click on the blue "Download" link below

2. Remove your new "pyTivo" Folder from the Downloads folder, and place it in your Applications Folder

3. Move on to Step Five...
How cool would that have been?

Last edited by bareyb : 02-25-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #86
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
When they say "multiple processors" I'm assuming they are talking about separate physical processors right? Multi-core processors like the i7 wouldn't count as "multi" right?

Quote:
ffmpeg_pram

Default Setting: None

Valid Entries: A valid ffmpeg command

Skill: Very Advanced

Description: This allows you to append additional raw ffmpeg commands to the ffmpeg template. For example, you would enter '-threads 2' here if you have multiple processors and want ffmpeg to use both processors to speed up transcoding.

Example Settings: -threads 2

Old 02-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #87
gteague
golftango

i believe that each core counts as a processor. my i5 would have 4 of them. i have no idea what 'pram' means in the above context, however and i'd proceed with caution ...

/guy
Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #88
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I'm running pyTivo in the background as we speak. I checked my CPU usage (I'm transferring a Movie to TiVo right now) and it's barely using 8% so I guess I'm not having the CPU "hog" issues some folks were complaining about when pyTivo is transferring.
Who was complaining about that?

Transcoding video is an inherently CPU-intensive activity, quite possibly the hardest work your CPU will ever do. But you probably wouldn't want it to be throttled back -- because that would only mean that transfers would take even longer.

In cases where the video doesn't have to be transcoded, pyTivo shouldn't use much CPU at all. (In fact, pyTivo per se never does -- ffmpeg is the big "hog".)

Quote:
It now defaults to the proper port and bin where ffmpeg is located.
None of that is new, BTW. As I said before, the minimal working pyTivo.conf had already been reduced to a single "[Server]" line.

Quote:
When they say "multiple processors" I'm assuming they are talking about separate physical processors right? Multi-core processors like the i7 wouldn't count as "multi" right?
Of course they do, that's the entire point of multicore processors.

Quote:
i have no idea what 'pram' means in the above context, however and i'd proceed with caution ...
"pram" there is just an awkward abbreviation for "parameters". There's no need to proceed with caution, the option is fully described in what bareyb quoted.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-25-2012 at 11:21 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #89
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
"pram" there is just an awkward abbreviation for "parameters". There's no need to proceed with caution, the option is fully described in what bareyb quoted.
I thought you were talking about Perimeter RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Who was complaining about that?

Transcoding video is an inherently CPU-intensive activity, quite possibly the hardest work your CPU will ever do. But you probably wouldn't want it to be throttled back -- because that would only mean that transfers would take even longer.

In cases where the video doesn't have to be transcoded, pyTivo shouldn't use much CPU at all. (In fact, pyTivo per se never does -- ffmpeg is the big "hog".)
It's right there on your Website. I figured it must be a fairly common event if it's in the FAQ.

FWIW, it has not been an issue for me. ffmpeg only uses a tiny bit of my CPU even in full on transcode mode.

I have an Intel i7 processor with FOUR Cores. Should I tell pyTivo to use "-threads 4" instead of "-threads 2 or can you have it only use two of them and leave the others for other processes?

Quote:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B24
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frequently Asked Questions - pyTivo - Wiki.jpg (72.9 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by bareyb : 02-25-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #90
Iluvatar

Quote:
pytivo has transferred every type of video i've thrown at it so far except for avchd (.mts) files which are an unreasonable expectation for any but a cutting edge video system on top hardware to process.
/guy
I can't imagine FFmpeg has any issue transcoding or remuxing (if appropriate) a .mts file. What issues are you running into?

AVCHD is just h264 w audio in a MPEGTS container right?

and
for OS X