TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
asooley

Tivo Slide Remote USB replacement receiver

HELP ... I've lost my Tivo Slide remote USB receiver ... does anybody know where I can get a replacement once that will allow me to use the keyboard again ?
asooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
rsnaider

Have you tried to call TiVo? I just did a quick search on ebay and found nothing so your only option might be a new remote or potentially get lucky if they can sell you only the receiver.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
asooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
Have you tried to call TiVo? I just did a quick search on ebay and found nothing so your only option might be a new remote or potentially get lucky if they can sell you only the receiver.
Yes, I called Tivo and unfortunately they dont just sell the receiver separate .. hoping to find someone that has a dead Slide remote and happens to have a receiver sitting around ... I know a long shot but you never know.
asooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
DocNo

Arrow

Whole new remote on sale for $40 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
MichaelK

I'm not certain by any means but I'd bet a beer that ANY usb bluetooth dongle works. Since they can be had on amazon and ebay and hte like for $1.99 - I'd try one of those first. Or if you are less sure then buy locally (staples, bestbuy, maybe the rat shack...) where you can return if it doesn't work. If I can recall the instructions with the remote (likely available online) explain how to re-pair the remote to the dongle.

A generic usb bluetooth dongle might need you to hooked to your pc/laptop to run it's pairing routine- so might need to pair to the new dongle when hooked to your pc and then remove the dongle and place it in the tivo.

edit: here's the pairing instructions - would need to modify to include generic usb dongle:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkL0dqbjltT1Fr
notice these relevant bits
Quote:
The TiVo Slide remote ...may also be discoverable by other Bluetooth devices; however the remote ...(is) ONLY supported for use with ... each other
so they acknowledge that they probably pair with other devices but wont support it.

Also- since the instructions dont mention needing to enter a PIN- I believe that means it uses "Secure Simple Pairing (SSP)- Just Works" which is in only the later versions of bluetooth (2.1+?)- so make sure the dongle you get is a newer version. Might be best to find a 3.0 to be sure you get the latest features. (I think a dongle that supports this probably just would need to be plugged into the tivo and press it's pairing button while you enter the pairing mode on the remote per the instructions above from tivo's website)

Last edited by MichaelK : 02-15-2012 at 07:09 PM.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
vivshank

Sony remote with keypad?

MichaelK -- do you think I'll be able to use the keypad on my sony googletv remote? that uses bluetooth too. but the tivo slide scancodes and sony ones are probably different, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I'm not certain by any means but I'd bet a beer that ANY usb bluetooth dongle works. Since they can be had on amazon and ebay and hte like for $1.99 - I'd try one of those first. Or if you are less sure then buy locally (staples, bestbuy, maybe the rat shack...) where you can return if it doesn't work. If I can recall the instructions with the remote (likely available online) explain how to re-pair the remote to the dongle.

A generic usb bluetooth dongle might need you to hooked to your pc/laptop to run it's pairing routine- so might need to pair to the new dongle when hooked to your pc and then remove the dongle and place it in the tivo.

edit: here's the pairing instructions - would need to modify to include generic usb dongle:

notice these relevant bits

so they acknowledge that they probably pair with other devices but wont support it.

Also- since the instructions dont mention needing to enter a PIN- I believe that means it uses "Secure Simple Pairing (SSP)- Just Works" which is in only the later versions of bluetooth (2.1+?)- so make sure the dongle you get is a newer version. Might be best to find a 3.0 to be sure you get the latest features. (I think a dongle that supports this probably just would need to be plugged into the tivo and press it's pairing button while you enter the pairing mode on the remote per the instructions above from tivo's website)

vivshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Worf

Receivers it doesn't matter - they're just bluetooth adapters. They take the bluetooth packets coming from the air and sending it over USB - it's up to the host to decode what the packets mean.

The remotes are probably bluetooth HID because it's simplest to implement.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
vivshank

Thanks

Thanks, that helps. Though I realized even if I can pair the sony remote with two devices (sony & tivo) at the same time, there's no way I was able to figure out how to swap the remote between the two boxes.
vivshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
hoopsbwc34
Unpaid Tivo Salesman

Did a regular bluetooth receiver work? If so which did you get? I'm in the same boat...I have a remote with no receiver.
hoopsbwc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
jschriesheim

Bluetooth dongle

Similar situation. Bought a Belkin F8T017 dongle and was optimistic when the lights flashed between the remote and the Belkin adapter, after pressing the described buttons on each. Unfortunately, only the IR part of the Slide Remote seems to work.
jschriesheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
jasphoto

Same boat - Any answers???

I picked up a used TiVo with a slide remote but Not adapter. Did anyone find an answer?
jasphoto is offline   Reply With Quote