TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
Alloy25

Dropping channels - Comcast

Hello.

A few basic questions. I've been able to fix one TIVO box v52 error message by rerouting the cable and remove a splitter (XL4). Still working on the Premiere box issue.

All of these issues started when we installed new cable cards because of swapping plans with Comcast earlier this year. They said we could keep all the same equipment but they lied.
Each TIVO and the modem have their own line.

Higher frequency channels such as HBO get a v52 error message when the MOCA is hooked up most of the time. When i bypass the MOCA the channels work ok. Is the splitter inside the MOCA basically a passive splitter which is causing enough signal loss at that point to cause signal loss?

A temporary fix (from TIVO) that works about 75% of the time is to add a splitter to the cable and one port goes to the MOCA and the other to the TIVO Premiere. TIVO didn't recommend using any type of signal booster, but didn't have any other recommendations.

The splitter on the outside of the house is a 3 way 1000mhz splitter, unbalanced splitter (two -7 and one -3.5 ports). I'm looking at an unbalanced 3 way splitter from Home Depot with a 2000mhz rating. Will this help with the MOCA signal issue, or will the higher frequencies be more prone to loss since the run is around 75'?

There was a POE filter installed from Comcast a few years ago. One of their techs removed it two months ago and said they were no longer needed. Should i have them install another one?
Are all POE filters the same, regardless if they come from Comcast, Amazon or TIVO?
Is there any signal loss when using a POE filter?

Thanks!

Last edited by Alloy25; 03-25-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Alloy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Alloy25

Anyone found 2 ghz unbalanced splitters? Home Depot, Radio Shack and Best Buy are all balanced in that range.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
Alloy25

Well I replaced Comcast's splitter with a Ideal 3 way 2ghz balanced splitter from Home Depot. All channels are working so far. Also gained 7 Mbps download speed and improved ping by 33% over several tests.