TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
BobRosenman

Series 2 TiVo-IR Control of "broadcast" DTA converter

I have two Series 2 TiVos. I have discontinued cable TV service. I live in the New York City metropolitan area. We have *many* different TV stations, all broadcasting in digital TV format. I have two, fully functional "DIGITALSTREAM" DTX9900 Digital to Analog Converter boxes. I have connected these converters to the TiVos, and can record "manually".

TiVo does not offer an identified IR command code set for this product (box). so I cannot get the connected TiVo to change channels on the converter box.

I contacted TiVo and requested creation of an IR code set for this product, and offered to send the details of the box's IR command set.

TiVo representative "bailed" (that is, demurred) and referred me to this forum.

This lack of support is depressing and annoying.

It appears that TiVo has stopped actively supporting their Series 2 products. I also note the loss of the "universal swivel search" function. When I queried their tech support on this issue, they said, in effect, "we'll get back to you. . ." They never did.
BobRosenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
shwru980r

Tivo isn't going to help you out in any way with this matter.

You will have to try to keep modifying your channel changing setting to see if another supported box has the same IR codes. You also might try changing your input to cable or satellite to fake out the tivo into using those codes and cycle through those boxes as well.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I believe that this brand of digital converter is not supported with Tivo. There are brands that are supported and have proper codes.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
ggieseke

Post the details of the IR command set here. I have a fairly good breakdown of their IR database, so if there's a match we can probably find it.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRosenman View Post
I have two Series 2 TiVos. I have discontinued cable TV service. I live in the New York City metropolitan area. We have *many* different TV stations, all broadcasting in digital TV format. I have two, fully functional "DIGITALSTREAM" DTX9900 Digital to Analog Converter boxes. I have connected these converters to the TiVos, and can record "manually".

TiVo does not offer an identified IR command code set for this product (box). so I cannot get the connected TiVo to change channels on the converter box.

I contacted TiVo and requested creation of an IR code set for this product, and offered to send the details of the box's IR command set.

TiVo representative "bailed" (that is, demurred) and referred me to this forum.

This lack of support is depressing and annoying.
I will guess there is exactly one customer with this need and the chances for a second is approximately zero. That isn't a lack of support but an unreasonable customer expectation to expect this to be added. If there is another box, under a different brand name, you have come to the right place to try to figure that out but whining about TiVo not being able to help is beyond silly.

If you are among the tiny group that will use a TiVo Series 2 with a digital converter at this late date, the way to go about that is find which boxes are supported and buy one of those. I see converter boxes at garage sales for a couple of bucks often and buying online from eBay won't cost a lot, the shipping is worth more than the box obviously.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I was thinking that DIGITALSTREAM was one of the converter boxes that TiVo initial supported, but now doesn't.
Which is a bummer, as a friend has one of the those and I was going to give her a Series 2 lifetime, but now I will have to trade out her DIGITALSTREAM with another supported box. Seems to me that the DIGITALSTREAM was listed as one of the best converter boxes too.

I really don't blame TiVo for not supporting it though, as the days of using a converter box are so far gone. I use to sell them on a regular basis, but haven't sold one for over a year due to lack of demand.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #7
cannonz

I thought it was supported too, if I remember correctly was one of the more popular ones.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
ggieseke

In the IR dababase, DIGITAL STREAM is listed in the DTV section as code 10085. Code 99982 appears to be a duplicate of 10085.

I haven't bothered to break it down recently. That info is a few years old from the 4.38 version of the database.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote