TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
atlas66

how do i hook up tivo to my airport express?

Hi,

I'm new to TiVo. My modem is hooked-up to my airport express which only has one port. So I cannot hook-up my tivo to the internet if I want wireless access for my laptop and phone. I'd like to have both running... somehow connect my modem to the tivo AND the airport wireless network.

My question is: what do I buy to keep both signals going? An ethernet switch or hub (none of them seem to mention Tivo or other devices other than networking computers)? Would either of these work? Some other device??

I have a Tivo series 4 and an apple airport express (not sure what model -- I had it for a while; only has one port).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my RCN guy seemed to know ZERO!

thanks!
R
atlas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Either an ethernet hub or switch would work, but a switch would be the better option.

edit:
I was assuming the OP meant only one LAN port. I'm not actually familiar with the older airport express models with just a single ethernet port.

Last edited by scandia101 : Yesterday at 11:48 AM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
poppagene
User

Are you sure it only has a port for the modem and not a wan port for the modem and a lan port for the tivo or other wired ethernet device? If you are using the lan port for a pc or other wired device, than a simple ethernet switch will work for you to share the wired internet. Also, which tivo do you have? If you have a roamio, it has wifi built in and you can connect wirelessly to your airport express.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

IT sounds like the modem probably only has one lan port. If that is the case, I would just get a router and be done with it (they pretty much all include wifi these days). Unless the express is being used to stream from itunes, it could be retired or sold.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo Premiere can be connected wireless by using the Tivo branded wireless adapter. The G model connects with the USB and the N connects with the ethernet port.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
IT sounds like the modem probably only has one lan port. If that is the case, I would just get a router and be done with it (they pretty much all include wifi these days). Unless the express is being used to stream from itunes, it could be retired or sold.
The airport express is a router--albeit a one wan port and one lan port router
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
wish_bgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
The airport express is a router--albeit a one wan port and one lan port router

I remember this model of Airport Express; the one Ethernet port serves as either inbound traffic (modem to the AX, which in turn send the signal out) or as an extender (AX serves the signal out, provided the AX is part of a wireless network served by other Apple Airport Base Stations)

Unfortunately, if AX isn't being used as an extender, there isn't a way to connect the TiVo to it. It sounds as if the AX is sending out the modem signal via direct connection to each other (modem <--->AX) What about picking up the wireless network adapter from TiVo to get it connected?
wish_bgr is offline   Reply With Quote