TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
sean67854
Why?

Local stations skipping episodes?

How common is it for local stations to skip showing episodes of programs altogether?

My local CBS station isn't showing Scorpion tonight due to a political debate. It's not delayed, it's just not being shown at all.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
How common is it for local stations to skip showing episodes of programs altogether?

My local CBS station isn't showing Scorpion tonight due to a political debate. It's not delayed, it's just not being shown at all.
It's rare but it does happen. Typically it's for a sporting event or a news special. Much of the time they will have an independent station in the market run the preempted programming if they aren't showing it on delay.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

here they generally air the pre-empted show at 2 or 3am, but since they rarely update the guide in time for tivo to catch the change, it's still missed. that, or they update the guide with a time that's a few minutes off, so the ending of the show is still missed.

if you don't have vod, you can catch it on cbs.com:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/scorpion/video/

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I've seen where the station will play the episode, just on a completely different day/time.

For example, the local ABC affiliate has the local rights to carry Monday Night Football when the Packers play. When they do, it preempts Monday evening programming. They'll usually show "Dancing" around 1 am Tuesday morning, and "Castle" will air Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. or so.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
sean67854
Why?

The station's website has a listings page where you can search for programs, the next listed showing on 10/13.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Our locals rerun the eps early the next moring. Usually they announce rerun times on their websites.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:

I suggest you complain TO THE STATION, and to CBS itself.

Also, you may be able to watch it on On Demand, or at worst, cbs.com
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
mr.unnatural

My local stations usually air the episodes on the weekend if they get pre-empted for any reason. Get yourself a bittorrent client and you won't have to worry about it.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I suggest you complain TO THE STATION, and to CBS itself.
This - and start with CBS. I'm sure they would be quite interested in the fact that one of its affiliates skipped an episode and the CBS-supplied commercials that went with it for "local" programming.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
pendragn

Quote:

Are you talking about KCCI? If so, they ran a bunch of commercials saying it would be aired at 2:07 the next morning. The anchors even mentioned it during the 10 o'clock news after they covered the debate.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
This - and start with CBS. I'm sure they would be quite interested in the fact that one of its affiliates skipped an episode and the CBS-supplied commercials that went with it for "local" programming.
The station would have already cleared the preemption with CBS. They get a few each year.
realityboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
DougF

When I was trying to get waivers for distant networks from DirecTV years ago, my NBC affiliate told me that NBC allotted them x hours per year to pre-empt network programming in favor of local interest broadcasts or something to that effect. I believe that they told me they were rerunning most of it during overnight hours as a courtesy to their viewers and were not required to.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

CBS has always been the worst offender in my area. Sure, they run all sorts of banners in a few shows, running up to what will be skipped/delayed. Sometimes, I don't see the banners, until too late, due to (my) view-time-shifting often being over 24 hours later.

They have gotten better at insuring if the missed episode gets moved forward a week or days later, but the guide data led to recording of some stupid political matter, or a news item, the delayed showing gets treated as new, even though it would used to be treated as a repeat, requiring being vigilant to manually schedule it to record the second guide slot assigned later. That used to make so so angry...
Old 10-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
They have gotten better at insuring if the missed episode gets moved forward a week or days later, but the guide data led to recording of some stupid political matter, or a news item, the delayed showing gets treated as new, even though it would used to be treated as a repeat, requiring being vigilant to manually schedule it to record the second guide slot assigned later. That used to make so so angry...
Even if they are allowed to preempt, as others said, I STILL suggest complaining...

and I don't even mean write a (paper) letter. I have complained online to our local ABC affiliate.. and while I don't 100% know for sure it helped, there are far fewer Jeopardy! preemptions the past few years.. When they're preempted for something, they often air at ~9PM the same night.. and usually roughly in the right time slot.. (so yeah, I admit I sometimes add extra padding just to make sure.)

I've definitely had the guide data for CBS preemptions locally be correct for re-schedulings more often than they're incorrect.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #15
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
For example, the local ABC affiliate has the local rights to carry Monday Night Football when the Packers play. When they do, it preempts Monday evening programming. They'll usually show "Dancing" around 1 am Tuesday morning, and "Castle" will air Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. or so.
Here they always seem to air Castle at 1:37am the next day (i.e. a few hours after it should have aired)... only I never learn and I always set up the recording for when it says it's going to be on and don't add padding, but they start airing it at like 1:00 or 1:30 even though the guide data says 1:37.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
Are you talking about KCCI? If so, they ran a bunch of commercials saying it would be aired at 2:07 the next morning. The anchors even mentioned it during the 10 o'clock news after they covered the debate.
I'm curious if this is the affiliate the OP was complaining about.

Quote:
The station's website has a listings page where you can search for programs, the next listed showing on 10/13.
I wouldn't ever rely on that. I'll bet that many affiliate websites just automatically populate their schedule from the network data, and don't update it to reflect the minor changes they may make.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #17
sean67854
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
Yeah, I saw the ads saying it would be on at 2:07, but when I checked the guide to verify my recording, it wasn't there. The next night it was in my list and had recorded at 2:07. So either I totally missed it, or the guide hadn't updated yet when I looked.

Xbox gamertag sean67854