TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Bob Coxner

Deadbeat on Hulu

A new original series on Hulu. Looks interesting, with Tyler Labine starring. He was great on Reaper so I'm glad to see him in something getting good reviews. The conceit even has some Reaper vibes.

http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...iums__man.html

Tyler Labine stars as Kevin, a downwardly mobile New Yorker. He's a reluctant medium, meaning he can see and communicate with the spirits of the dead that are sticking around this mortal plane for some variety or other of unfinished business. Kevin's also a stoner. In fact, his only friend, the unfortunately named Roofie (Brandon T. Jackson), is also his drug dealer.

Deadbeat plays out like a cross between the Ricky Gervais film Ghost Town and rubber-mask monster outings like Men in Black or Ghostbusters.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
gweempose

Thanks for the heads up! I've been a Tyler Labine fan ever since Invasion.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched the first episode over the weekend. I like that Tyler dude for some reason. Liked him on Reaper.

I thought the show was just OK. I'll watch a couple more episodes, but if it doesn't get better, I'll have to jump ship.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
hairyblue
A good Man

I think Tyler Labine is great. I've watched the first episode of Deadbeat. I liked it. Tyler has a talent for comedy.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
Bob Coxner

Watched the first two and liked them a lot. Labine's character is very similar to the one he played on Reaper.

What does drive me crazy are the ads on Hulu, even on Hulu+. They seem to be more numerous than you get even on a basic cable channel.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post

What does drive me crazy are the ads on Hulu, even on Hulu+. They seem to be more numerous than you get even on a basic cable channel.
Yeah, I signed up for a free month of Hulu + just to watch Deadbeat. I've also been watching the show "Spy", which I'm enjoying.

I watched an episode of Grimm that my DVR missed. I could not believe the number of commercials I had to watch. Every break, I had to watch 3 ads. I rarely use Hulu and thought you only had to watch 1 ad per break.

I'm so used to not having to watch ads, I found it offensive. When ever there was an ad break, I muted my TV and played with my phone.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched 3 more episodes of the show last night. I don't really know what to think. I think the show is pretty lame, but I seem to still be enjoying it. The episode with the Swedish mafia really had my eyes rolling.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched the entire first season. At least I assume Hulu had the entire first season out there.

I liked the show, but still feel it is a little cheesey. It is obvious that the show is low budget. If they make a second season, I'll probably wacth it. I kinda like the new trend of shows having 8-13 episode seasons. Makes it more likely that I'll watch the show as it isn't as big a commitment compared to 22 episodes seasons.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Peter000

The concept of this is exactly like another 2001 Tyler Labine show called "Dead Last," in which he played a drummer in a Rock Band who could all talk to the dead, doing deeds for them so the dead could move on.

I started to watch the first episode of Deadbeat, but the commercials so irritated me that I couldn't finish.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

The one thing I've noticed about Hulu commercials is they at least don't show the same 2-3 commercials constantly. They now have like 10-15 commercials they show constantly.

I just spend the 30-60 seconds looking at Reddit on my iPad.

I don't know if I ever saw the "Dead Last" show. This show definitely feels like something I've already seen 100 times. A person that can speak to the dead and then helps them find the light is far from a new concept.