TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,728
Doctor Who "Kill The Moon" 10/4/2014

I'm willing to believe almost anything when it comes to science fiction and fantasy. The moon being a giant egg isn't one of them. I wasn't too thrilled with a debate about abortion either. Other than that, I liked it.

Astronaut lady was miserable.

Looks like Clara will get a timeout.
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 1,965
I didn't care for this one. The fact that everything was sunshine and rainbows at the end was too convenient.
__________________
Verizon FIOS + DVR (Los Angeles)
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Gunnyman
Super FunBall
 
Gunnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 29,655
I think they're setting up Jenna Coleman's exit from the show.
I like Capaldi as the doctor very much, but the writing, ugh.
__________________
It's a sociological cornucopia of silliness.
Gamertag: GGwallen
Gunnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
nirisahn
Registered User
 
nirisahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver area
Posts: 6,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
...
I like Capaldi as the doctor very much, but the writing, ugh.
Agreed. I've loved Peter Capaldi in everything I've seen him in until now. As I've said before, I think the writers just don't know what to do with him. They've been writing for a totally different kind of doctor since the reboot. They've had their individual quirks, but a lot of similarity. This doctor is completely different, and they're not getting a handle who he is and how to write him.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
pgogborn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,323
Hit the Road Doctor



Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
The fact that everything was sunshine and rainbows...
The Doctor made the same mistake as Ray Charles (or Percy Mayfield)

In my opinion he video is worth watching for the set up to the classic Hit the Road Jack.
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 31,136
At this point, I'm mainly watching, hoping for a decent payoff at the end, because right now I'm not caring for much about the show.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 1,965
I also don't understand how the mass of an egg can go up.. Chicken eggs can lose mass do to water evaporating through the pours of the egg, but increase? I think for a show that is science fantasy, you should at least get some science correct and use fantasy to explain away the fantastic ideas. Mass of any object doesn't just change unless you add something to it.

I know I'm nit picking over a fantasy show, but suspension of belief is easier if I'm digging the show. I'm not saying Capaldi is to blame but something is off.
__________________
Verizon FIOS + DVR (Los Angeles)
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,187
I loved this one. Quick and intriguing from the beginning. Lots of good interplay of the characters.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Posts: 6,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I also don't understand how the mass of an egg can go up.. Chicken eggs can lose mass do to water evaporating through the pours of the egg, but increase? I think for a show that is science fantasy, you should at least get some science correct and use fantasy to explain away the fantastic ideas. Mass of any object doesn't just change unless you add something to it.

I know I'm nit picking over a fantasy show, but suspension of belief is easier if I'm digging the show. I'm not saying Capaldi is to blame but something is off.
You're right. At least things in a scifi show HAVE TO make SOME sense.

This really didn't.

The idea at the end that the new moon which looked smaller (anyone notice that?) would continue keeping the tides going on Earth the way the old moon did is...stupid.

I also didn't like that after all that happened, we never really got a good look at the creature, let alone find out how the thing moved away from the Earth. Plus, you can't help but wonder what happened to Earth during the few minutes it'd hatched, laid a new egg supposedly able to keep Earth's tides going, and then moved away. (Mass and gravity changes, etc.)

Someone really needs to be left alone on that new moon...with a Dalek...someone like the writer(s).
__________________
Crisp binoculars on a Wednesday.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer
 
pteronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,181
I liked the call back to 'Blink"
pteronaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer
 
pteronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
The idea at the end that the new moon which looked smaller (anyone notice that?) would continue keeping the tides going on Earth the way the old moon did is...stupid.
The new moon would be smaller, and about the same size as it was when life left the water, and would be affecting the tides as it would have at that point, whilst the new creature is forming in the moon, the moon would continue to grow, gathering mass from where only P. Harness knows until it affects the tides to a point as devastating as was alluded to in this episode. At which point, the creature hatches and hopefully lays a new moon before departing.

That was my take on it.
pteronaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
kdmorse
Registered User
 
kdmorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 4,224
I really kinda liked most of it. I can enjoy the bits that made a good story, and mostly ignore the bits that were completely implausible. And the bits in the gray area in between I can kinda hand-wave away. ie, if you hand-wave away how the creature was increasing it's mass with some "feeding on energy from another dimension as it grew" explanation, and it makes a kinda interesting story. A moon slowly increasing in mass, the impact on earth, the threat of said mass vanishing forever, etc...

I like that the Doctor walked into a room full of people with guns, said shoot us all, then demanded to know what was wrong with his yo-yo. I personally am enjoying his portrayal when he pushes it in the direction of a mix of the 3rd and 4th doctors.

But as is often the case under Moffet recently, the resolution was too instantaneously 'poof! all is well!'. Poof!, Clara saves the day in an instant. Poof!, the moon's back. Poof!, all orbital mechanics restored. Poof!, future of the human race saved. All in a way that made little sense.

And I thought sure they were going to tie it in with the space whale from The Beast Below. That could have really worked. But overall I enjoyed it more than most this season.

It seems that all the episodes this season have half-worked (more or less). If they could get an episode full of purely bits that do work, it could all work out. They just haven't gotten there yet.
__________________
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
"Stop slouching! It's two O'clock in the afternoon, PUT PANTS ON!"
"Statistically speaking, there are two Popes per square kilometer in Vatican City..."
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,187
Doctor Who is more a fantasy show than science fiction. Daleks are powered by static electricity?
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 23,068
I got a bad taste from the get-go when I saw they were landing a re-purposed Space Shuttle on the moon, and nothing after that made the episode any better. I can only imagine what bigray327 would have said if he were still around.

To hire Peter Capaldi and to waste his talent this way is criminal.

IMO "Kill the Moon" is the "Spock's Brain" of modern-day Who. It's possible that they'll write more episodes for Capaldi that are even stupider, but at the moment, it's hard to see how.

FYI for Capaldi fans, he's on this week's episode of The Graham Norton Show. If you can't get a repeat, check to see if you can watch it online. Great fun, especially the photos of Capaldi when young (and his reaction to the show bringing the old material out).
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
thewebgal
MacAphile AV geek
 
thewebgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DC 'burbs
Posts: 213
Perhaps you keep forgetting it IS a kids show ...
Like Rocky and Bullwinkle, there are bits and pieces for
the older folks in the audience, but ultimately ... Kids show!!

So - don't expect it to be absolutely scientific-fiction -
a nudge and a wink is about all we can hope for ...
But its been awfully dark for a kids show ...
in the time thief, there was a suicide needle for each of them ...!
In this one, the world got to decide a birth or death issue ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
I really kinda liked most of it. I can enjoy the bits that made a good story, and mostly ignore the bits that were completely implausible. And the bits in the gray area in between I can kinda hand-wave away. ie, if you hand-wave away how the creature was increasing it's mass with some "feeding on energy from another dimension as it grew" explanation, and it makes a kinda interesting story. A moon slowly increasing in mass, the impact on earth, the threat of said mass vanishing forever, etc...

I like that the Doctor walked into a room full of people with guns, said shoot us all, then demanded to know what was wrong with his yo-yo. I personally am enjoying his portrayal when he pushes it in the direction of a mix of the 3rd and 4th doctors.

But as is often the case under Moffet recently, the resolution was too instantaneously 'poof! all is well!'. Poof!, Clara saves the day in an instant. Poof!, the moon's back. Poof!, all orbital mechanics restored. Poof!, future of the human race saved. All in a way that made little sense.

And I thought sure they were going to tie it in with the space whale from The Beast Below. That could have really worked. But overall I enjoyed it more than most this season.

It seems that all the episodes this season have half-worked (more or less). If they could get an episode full of purely bits that do work, it could all work out. They just haven't gotten there yet.

__________________
MacPro w/10TeraB & Yosemite & a Roamio Base - Weeeeee!
thewebgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
It seems that all the episodes this season have half-worked (more or less). If they could get an episode full of purely bits that do work, it could all work out. They just haven't gotten there yet.
This sums it up for me.

They don't need a new Doctor (Capaldi is great); they just need a new showrunner. Moffat was perhaps the best thing about the Davies era, but he just doesn't seem to be able to carry the weight himself.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #17
JohnB1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,305
As with the whole season I found it very enjoyable. Not sure about most of the rest of you
__________________
XBOX Live GamerTag - PotatoMagnet
JohnB1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #18
Philosofy
Super Duper Member
 
Philosofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Crown Point, IN USA
Posts: 6,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post
I liked the call back to 'Blink"
I missed that. What are you referring to?
__________________
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."
Philosofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 23,068
I don't buy the argument that if it's a kids' show you can do any stupid thing you want.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #20
JohnB1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
I missed that. What are you referring to?
The "video" to earth being very similar to the Sally Sparrow's video.
__________________
XBOX Live GamerTag - PotatoMagnet
JohnB1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #21
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebgal View Post
Perhaps you keep forgetting it IS a kids show ...
I would argue that this is a family show like Star Trek.. Fun for nerdy adults and kids (maybe even those kids belong to those same adults).
__________________
Verizon FIOS + DVR (Los Angeles)
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #22
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,605
If you ignore the writers complete lack of scientific knowledge and simply focus on the story, then this wasn't a bad episode. The doctor was actually being Doctor-ish in the episode. Unfortunately the number of things that make no sense in this episode (moon gains 1.2 billions tons overnight, newly born creature laying an egg, 100 nuclear bombs not cracking the "egg"), makes focusing on he story difficult to do.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:39 AM   #23
ej42137
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
If you ignore the writers complete lack of scientific knowledge and simply focus on the story, then this wasn't a bad episode. The doctor was actually being Doctor-ish in the episode. Unfortunately the number of things that make no sense in this episode (moon gains 1.2 billions tons overnight, newly born creature laying an egg, 100 nuclear bombs not cracking the "egg"), makes focusing on he story difficult to do.
1.2 billions of tons wouldn't make a perceptible difference in the force of gravity on the moon. Even if they were British billions. 100 nuclear bombs by the same token would be imperceptible to a lunar egg.

But if we're starting out from the position where "the moon is an egg", then any pretense at rationality is just silly, I guess. To tell the truth, I was more troubled by Clara heading out the door and the new girl moving in; I have grown really fond of Clara, I like her almost as much as I liked Amy Pond.

Last edited by ej42137 : 10-06-2014 at 07:03 AM.
ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #24
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,728
Why the heck did the girl have a container of bug spray with her on the moon?
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #25
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Why the heck did the girl have a container of bug spray with her on the moon?
It's the bottle of cleaner she was using to clean up her puke in the TARDIS.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
If you ignore the writers complete lack of scientific knowledge and simply focus on the story, then this wasn't a bad episode. The doctor was actually being Doctor-ish in the episode.
I don't know, in that regard I think it was a step backward. I mean, since when did the Doctor believe in non-intervention, in letting people make up their own minds? If he felt that way, you'd have to delete about 90% of Doctor Who episodes ever made!

It seemed like a manufactured crisis that grew not out of the Doctor and Clara's characters, but out of the writers' need/desire to create a rift between them.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”

Last edited by Rob Helmerichs : 10-06-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #27
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 31,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Why the heck did the girl have a container of bug spray with her on the moon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
It's the bottle of cleaner she was using to clean up her puke in the TARDIS.
Yup, it was a disinfectant, which led to the realization that the "bugs" were really big germs.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #28
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,728
Ok, I get that she cleaned her Tardis mess up with it but why take it with her to the shuttle or moon base or wherever the killer germs were?
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 31,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Ok, I get that she cleaned her Tardis mess up with it but why take it with her to the shuttle or moon base or wherever the killer germs were?
It just happened to be in her backpack that she had with her on the moon.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #30
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer
 
pteronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
I missed that. What are you referring to?
He told Courtenay about the DVDs and to hold onto the console otherwise the TARDIS would leave her behind.
pteronaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |