TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #31
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I found a website offering Alaskan claims for sale. http://www.akmining.com/mine/sellclaims.htm

hmmm...which would lead me to believe that there are claims, but they certainly don't show anybody using any GPS coordinates or any buoy markers to designate areas.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #32
GDG76
Hide your kids/wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
hmmm...which would lead me to believe that there are claims, but they certainly don't show anybody using any GPS coordinates or any buoy markers to designate areas.
They did show the guy who lives in the yurt tracking a GPS to tell his partner when to drop anchor.

You would think these claims would be a little different than traditional ones - with the glaciers moving and general movement on the ocean, I wonder if they can mine the same area over and over.

Anyway, it was an interesting show. I'm surprised there isn't more regulation about who can dive and the safety equipment needed to do so.
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #33
brettatk
If I Only Knew

As mentioned, a few things don't add up. Wouldn't surprise me if it was another fake like Gold Rush Alaska. Even if it is, I'll probably still watch.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #34
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
As mentioned, a few things don't add up. Wouldn't surprise me if it was another fake like Gold Rush Alaska. Even if it is, I'll probably still watch.
I was just assuming it was fake.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #35
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76 View Post
They did show the guy who lives in the yurt tracking a GPS to tell his partner when to drop anchor...
You're right, I do remember that now. But I kind of got the feeling that was more because that's where they went before (and had good luck), than that's where they HAD to go.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
vertigo235

How is Gold Rush 100% fake? You would think if it was 100% fake, they would be finding gold all the time.

Now, those shows on truTV, that's totally fake. Gold Rush is probably only 50% fake , this show may be anywhere from 25% to 75% fake I'd say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
pmyers

I prefer to you "staged" than "fake"
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
DanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
How is Gold Rush 100% fake? You would think if it was 100% fake, they would be finding gold all the time.
not necessarily. Maybe watching folks fail makes better TV?
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #39
Gary McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
They made a point of mentioning that they pumped heated water into the diving suits. They even showed one crew manufacturing the heating mechanism in the last episode.
I understand that. But that is under normal working conditions when the dredge is in working order. If they have to abandon ship there won't be any engines running, and no heated water for the suits. Their survival is then less than an hour.

When I was stationed near Nome at Port Clarence, we used our station small boats to cross the 1.5 miles of water to a gold mine called Lost River. We had to wear wet suits at all times, and do a radio check every 15 minutes. That gave us another 15-20 minutes to respond and rescue anyone in the water in a wet suit before they died of exposure.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #40
jradosh
Newlywed

OK... enough bitching about your crew as if it's your crew's fault that the police are after you for failure to pay child support. You're clearly a deadbeat dad trying desperately to strike it rich rather than just taking a hard job and scrapping by. Totally unlikeable.

Actually there aren't too many likeable characters here. The only ones I am rooting for are the boy/girl team.

But I'm still enjoying the show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #41
Bob Coxner

The Hoffman crew goes wild as they hit 70 ounces for the entire season. That's 7 guys working. The 2 guys on the large dredge got 70 ounces in one day and with less heavy equipment than the Hoffmans.

I agree that most of them are low lifes and mentally challenged but I'm finding it much more interesting than Gold Rush.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #42
GDG76
Hide your kids/wife

I'm thinking with team with the excavator on the boat had to probably pay a lot more for their claim than the guys out deeper at sea. There is only a limited range that thing can reach and it's much less risk to mine that claim.

The claim fees probably necessitate that scale of an operation.

The boat with Captain Deadbeat Dad is my least favorite. They need to find a lot of gold just to cover their smoking budget.

I liked that the one crew spent the downtime selling the gold to tourists to make extra money. Though I would never buy my gold off of two yahoos who just set up a table like that...
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #43
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76 View Post
The boat with Captain Deadbeat Dad is my least favorite. They need to find a lot of gold just to cover their smoking budget.
LOL

Check out
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #44
pmyers

I saw on TMZ that "Deadbeat dad" got arrested in Nome for hitting somebody with his truck leaving a bar, and then was quickly arrested for DUI and other charges.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #45
jradosh
Newlywed

My TiVo cut out immediately after the jeep wreck. I never saw what happened. So...

what happened?

Check out
Old 02-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #46
Jayjoans

Cliffhanger. That's all there was.

Somebody probably got a boo-boo.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #47
jradosh
Newlywed

Thanks.

For the record, I think the girl falling into the water was 100% staged so there'd be a little skin in the show. And other than that scene was there anything else memorable about this episode?

Check out
Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #48
The Flush
Anonymous User

I am convinced the producers were looking for the biggest d-bags they could find for the one dredge (Wild Ranger?).
The Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #49
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flush
I am convinced the producers were looking for the biggest d-bags they could find for the one dredge (Wild Ranger?).
Yeah those people absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I mean they aren't even good at finding gold. At least of they were finding a bunch of gold they would have that. But they can't even find gold.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #50
justen_m

Gary, I somewhat disagree. Based on the folks I've seen on the show, you are correct. However, physically fit young athletes can survive more than an hour in freezing water. Five hours for me, when I was at Annapolis. When I was near Alaska (not sure where), on the fourth of July, our captain let us swim off the back of the boat, and we had a BBQ on the missile deck.

I too am appalled at what takes place, and that is why I watch. Hello? You let an untrained diver dive? Not on my watch. The general lack of maintenance on these... boats. If you can call them that. My sailing experience is in the US Navy. Making money wasn't a concern.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #51
brettatk
If I Only Knew

These types of shows are getting a bit hard to watch. It's become so evident that they are staged/scripted/fake. Take the Christine Rose in this past episode. They talk about how they have to use every availabe minute they can get to dredge then they turn around and make a bet and waste a couple of hours getting an impartial person to judge out on the dredge. The best part of the show isn't even about finding gold, it's about watching the mishaps of the Wild Ranger.

Last edited by brettatk : 02-27-2012 at 08:48 AM.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #52
pmyers

that Christine Rose sure does find the gold! I still can't believe they have to "paddle" out. That has to be a HUGE burden on that machine to have to do that. I'd think it be cheaper/safer to higher a boat to tow you out and back.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #53
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
that Christine Rose sure does find the gold! I still can't believe they have to "paddle" out. That has to be a HUGE burden on that machine to have to do that. I'd think it be cheaper/safer to higher a boat to tow you out and back.
Although it was never mentioned on the show, the propulsion seemed to be miraculously fixed a couple of shows back, as they showed the barge under power without the backhoe paddling.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #54
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
What did they say their overhead was, something like $1.5 million? For what? I mean, they've pulled like 400 oz of gold and are still a long ways from making a profit.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #55
vertigo235

Yeah, the propulsion seemed to be fixed an episode or so ago. I think it was just a temporary issue that they obviously wanted to highlight on the show.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #56
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
What did they say their overhead was, something like $1.5 million? For what? I mean, they've pulled like 400 oz of gold and are still a long ways from making a profit.
I thought it was around a million. I'm not sure for what either. They seem to do 2 man crew shifts. Doesn't seem like that much needed overhead.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #57
vertigo235

Unless they are paying a lot to lease that claim.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #58
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Unless they are paying a lot to lease that claim.
which is something that I haven't been able to figure out about this show. Are there actual "claims" with coordinates just like if it was on land?

I've seen them out on the water with little GPS units but I'm not sure if that's because that's where they HAVE to dig or if that's because that's where they WANT to dig because they've found gold there.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #59
vertigo235

They have mentioned claims before, I assume they have to pay for it, but I'm not certain.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #60
vertigo235

See here
http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/mining/nome/