TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
shadowplay0918

Tivo Upgrade Offer

Just received and email from Tivo offering to upgrade 1 of my 3 TivoHD's (TSN # was given) with a Premier 4. They listed lifetime option of $50 but they want $499 the the Premier 4.

The $549 total is around $100 less than what I could have gotten online with $249 dvr and $399 lifetime. Tempting but hard to replace a working series 3 with lifetime and a year old expanded hard drive when you have Christmas credit cards bills to pay off....
shadowplay0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Thom

Does your series 3 record anything off the antenna? I believe a Premiere 4 is unable to record over-the-air broadcasts.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
matneh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay0918 View Post
Just received and email from Tivo offering to upgrade 1 of my 3 TivoHD's (TSN # was given) with a Premier 4. They listed lifetime option of $50 but they want $499 the the Premier 4.

The $549 total is around $100 less than what I could have gotten online with $249 dvr and $399 lifetime. Tempting but hard to replace a working series 3 with lifetime and a year old expanded hard drive when you have Christmas credit cards bills to pay off....
Hey there, just got the same offer and it is tempting!

Is $550 the best deal for getting a Premier 4 with lifetime? It's the best deal I think I've seen in a long time!
matneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I received the e-mail too.

If only it had been for a Premiere that could receive OTA.
Swing and a miss, TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
shadowplay0918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Does your series 3 record anything off the antenna? I believe a Premiere 4 is unable to record over-the-air broadcasts.
No, using a cable card I just received from Mediacom (just moved and was using Comcast before).

Another reason for me to hold off is I would like to see if the new Tivo Mediacom is working on actually comes out this spring or not...
shadowplay0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
matneh

No OTA is fine with me.

If I took this offer, would I lose lifetime on my Tivo HD? It isn't clear from the e-mail, and it seems like this is an offer to buy a new Tivo + Lifetime service, not an offer to transfer lifetime from my old box.
matneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
tooslo

I got a deal advertising a Premier 4 for $249 and they would transfer my current service plan to the new DVR. It also includes a free MoCA adapter and an option to get lifetime service on my old Series 3 for $99.

How does that sound?
tooslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
bbock727

Where did you get the deal from? I have a TiVo series 3 with has been iffy with restarts. They offered to transfer lifetime +$200 for a refurb premiere ( not a "4") with lifetime. Think it's a bad deal.
bbock727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matneh View Post
No OTA is fine with me.

If I took this offer, would I lose lifetime on my Tivo HD? It isn't clear from the e-mail, and it seems like this is an offer to buy a new Tivo + Lifetime service, not an offer to transfer lifetime from my old box.
Looks to me like your Tivo HD keeps its lifetime. Here's some fine print I found regarding this offer.
Quote:
Premiere 4 DVR for $499.99 and a Product Lifetime service subscription to the TiVo service for a one-time fee of $50, plus tax. Terms and conditions apply. See tivo.com for complete terms and conditions. Offer available for a limited time, while supplies last, until January 25, 2013. TiVo reserves the right to terminate this promotion at any time without notice. Product Lifetime service subscription regularly priced at $499.99 with purchase of a TiVo Premiere 4 DVR for $249.99. Limit one TiVo Premiere 4 DVR and service bundle per valid qualifying S3 TiVo Service Number (“TSN”) listed above. Offer is non-transferrable. Product Lifetime service covers the life of the TiVo DVR you buy – not the life of the subscriber. The Product Lifetime service subscription accompanies the TiVo DVR in case of ownership transfer. The TiVo Premiere 4 is intended for use with digital cable systems only and does not work with analog cable or over-the-air antennas.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslo View Post
I got a deal advertising a Premier 4 for $249 and they would transfer my current service plan to the new DVR. It also includes a free MoCA adapter and an option to get lifetime service on my old Series 3 for $99.

How does that sound?
I guess it's not too bad if you don't mind buying the P4 at normal price and continuing with monthly service.
The 'deal' is, you get lifetime on the S3 for $300 less than what you'd normally have to pay.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay0918 View Post

I presume that you can still sell your series 3 with lifetime? I mean this upgrade offer doesn't actually transfer/deactivate your old Tivo Series 3, right?

Looks like a Series 3 with lifetime goes $350-$450. The upper end with upgraded hard drives.

So really you could upgrade for $200.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
treaty

I got the same offer as "tooslo".
A new Premier 4 for $249 (they will transfer my current service plan to it).
A free MoCA adapter
An option to keep my existing Series 3 and get lifetime on it for $99.
This almost sounds like a no brainer to me. I pay $350 one time fee - and I get a new Premier, plus get to keep my existing HD in service - and my monthly service fee doesn't change at all? Plus I get a free MoCa adaptor? I'm about to pull the trigger - but have 2 thoughts:

1. Am I missing something here? This offer almost seems too good to be true to me considering all the "deals" Tivo has tried to pitch me in the recent past.
2. Tivo must really be banking on it's existing customers to purchase a Tivo Mini... and they must surely be gearing up to charge a monthly service fee for that mini. This offer is a clear setup to get me ready to buy a mini (hence the included MoCa adaptor)
treaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslo View Post

How does that sound?
That sounds like a great deal. Was this emailed to you recently? BTW, I assume your current service plan was lifetime?
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
MsUnderstood

I just received an offer as well for Premier 4. Thinking about calling to see if I can get the bigger model for a discount. I have the series 3 with lifetime and am really missing out on the finer things in life such as On Demand through Comcast, hulu Plus.
MsUnderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
MsUnderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaty View Post
I

Am I missing something here? This offer almost seems too good to be true to me considering all the "deals" Tivo has tried to pitch me in the recent past.
I think that TIVO is tryin hard to get the 3 owners to the 4. Makes sense since they are putting all their efforts into improving the 4 that they get us over to it?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
fr0gpil0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsUnderstood View Post
I think that TIVO is tryin hard to get the 3 owners to the 4. Makes sense since they are putting all their efforts into improving the 4 that they get us over to it?
I guess whining owners line me (see my other thread) don't get these offers
fr0gpil0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
MsUnderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0gpil0t View Post
I guess whining owners line me (see my other thread) don't get these offers
I have to admit I've been pretty quiet with TIVO for the last couple of years. I did fill out an anonymous TIVO Advisor survey where I griped that series 3 owners don't get the love that series 4 gets!

But after reading your thread Frog, I think you might want to call Tivo and get a supervisor to see if you could get the offer being extended to Series 3 owners. Also make sure you checked the email address you have on file with Tivo.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
blackngold75

Did any of you who got that offer already have something in the Premiere line, or only a Series 3. I have a Premiere and a TiVoHD - an offer like you mention might convince me to jump on a 4 - I was wondering if they were only offering it to those who only own Series 3 or older...
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
treaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post
Did any of you who got that offer already have something in the Premiere line, or only a Series 3. I have a Premiere and a TiVoHD - an offer like you mention might convince me to jump on a 4 - I was wondering if they were only offering it to those who only own Series 3 or older...
I only have one Tivo - an HD with $12.95 monthly service.
treaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
tdroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaty View Post
I only have one Tivo - an HD with $12.95 monthly service.
I also only have a TivoHD with a 1TB WD extender, with a $6.95 monthly service.
tdroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
tka

I wonder why they differentiate their "special" offers this much. I have an S3 with lifetime and only got the Premier 4 with lifetime for 549.99 offer. Before I saw this thread, I called to see if they would let me pay up for the Premier XL4, but they wouldn't. Have multiple Tivo's in the house, starting in 1999. Seeing the much cheaper offers here, I am certainly just going to hold off and not do anything.
tka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

My Sister's TiVos are registered to one of my email addresses. She only has S2 units. She just got an offer on her lifetime unit (old, original S2) for a 2 tuner refurb Premiere for $299.99 + $99.99 for lifetime. These are the same ones they were selling for $60 right? So all in it's only a $60 savings since normally it would be $60 for the box and $400 for lifetime.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
tka

This is just weird, almost as if Tivo didn't know that these offers are going to posted on the internet and will alienate their customers. Here's the fine print of my offer, each one seems to be different even if some of them come out to the same price:

Get a new TiVo Premiere 4 DVR for $249.99 and a Product Lifetime service subscription to the TiVo service for a one-time fee of $300, plus tax. Terms and conditions apply. See tivo.com for complete terms and conditions. Offer available for a limited time, while supplies last, until January 25, 2013. TiVo reserves the right to terminate this promotion at any time without notice. Product Lifetime service subscription regularly priced at $499.99 with purchase of a TiVo Premiere 4 DVR for $249.99. Limit one TiVo Premiere 4 DVR and service bundle per valid qualifying S3 TiVo Service Number (“TSN”) listed above. Offer is non-transferrable. Product Lifetime service covers the life of the TiVo DVR you buy – not the life of the subscriber. The Product Lifetime service subscription accompanies the TiVo DVR in case of ownership transfer. The TiVo Premiere 4 is intended for use with digital cable systems only and does not work with analog cable or over-the-air antennas.
tka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #24
MapleLeaf

I got the $549 offer as well. I currently have two lifetimed Tivo HD's and a lifetimed Tivo S3. One of the Tivo HD's serves as the qualifying unit for MSD on the other Tivo HD and the Tivo S3. The email noted the TSN of the qualifying unit, which I guess makes sense.

However, what I'm wondering now is, if I were to pursue this offer, would the new Premiere 4 now serve as a qualifying unit for future MSD purchases, or would it still be treated as an MSD unit, in which case it would not be eligible to serve as a qualifying unit in the future? I was thinking of selling the two HD's and the S3, but I may want to hang on to the one Tivo HD qualifying unit if the Premiere 4 won't be able to serve as an MSD-qualifying unit. At least to me, it was not clear from the fine print whether the Premiere 4 would assume MSD-qualifying status.
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #25
dave_d

I'm another one that got the $549 offer. I'm tempted but I'd probably want to upgrade it almost immediately.(Since I'm hearing the WD20EURS would work.) Surprised they don't let you just buy the XL4 though.

Oh I should point out I currently have an upgrade HD.(Upgraded to 1tb.) So obviously getting this with that drive isn't much of an upgrade

Last edited by dave_d : 01-11-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention what I currently have
dave_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #26
antalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
My Sister's TiVos are registered to one of my email addresses. She only has S2 units. She just got an offer on her lifetime unit (old, original S2) for a 2 tuner refurb Premiere for $299.99 + $99.99 for lifetime. These are the same ones they were selling for $60 right? So all in it's only a $60 savings since normally it would be $60 for the box and $400 for lifetime.

Dan
I got the same offer . Would cost me $433.- including tax. I want a Tivo to use OTA and have external input. I got Dish and feed it into the TIVO, but competition or or whatever reason Tivo doesn't provide external inputs for the new boxes. They also advertise the same refurb boxes for 150.- They would charge me double for the same box and 99.- for lifetime.
If I had the money I would take it, but I still have one big question. Does the OTA tuner tunes in all the digital channels, or just one per station. Each local station transmit 3 or more channels. like 4-1; 4-2 etc, ? If it doesn't I have to decline and continue to use converter boxes. There the only problem is it's not HD- the output, since they were made for the old NTSC Vs.
About MSD, I have about 3 or 4 life time and 4 monthly subs and I'm no longer qualify for the MSD. Put that in your pipe ! I got a TIVO hooked up to each local network and a couple to dish for anything else.

So if I buy or upgrade to anything I would have to pay the full load as if TIVO never heard of me. Isn't that nice......

How can I come up with $ 430.- ??

Well, good night, or good Morning nice folks !!
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antalo View Post
Does the OTA tuner tunes in all the digital channels, or just one per station. Each local station transmit 3 or more channels. like 4-1; 4-2 etc, ?
The Tivo sees and can tune all sub-channels for each station seperately, just like your converter box.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #28
lew

Could tivo be looking to clear inventory? Sell the Premiere 4 with a larger hard drive once inventory is depleted? Maybe the holiday sales weren't as good as hoped.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
I got the $549 offer as well. I currently have two lifetimed Tivo HD's and a lifetimed Tivo S3. One of the Tivo HD's serves as the qualifying unit for MSD on the other Tivo HD and the Tivo S3....
Not any more. Once they're lifetimed, they're lifetimed.

However only the one you paid full price for lifetime on can be used to MSD any TiVos you get in the future.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #30
antalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
The Tivo sees and can tune all sub-channels for each station seperately, just like your converter box.
Thank you Steve, that's what I needed to know
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote