Thanks! Very informative. It removed any lingering doubts that I had about sticking to my guns and refusing to buy the 1st generation Premiere. If the next-gen Premiere offers features like those I'm currently getting with my DISH 722 ViP/Slingbox, and finally takes the plunge into video over IP as a bona fide
and equal delivery path, there may be hope for them yet. OTOH if they become nothing more than an OEM for cable and telco monopolies...again I'll be glad I didn't throw good money after bad.
It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.
As an aside, every time I see those promos for SB&C's U-verse (the ones with all the expensive CGI effects), I think:
- Cool! I want to be able to do that!
- Hold it, I don't have a TV in every room, and don't want a TV in every room.
- How much do all those STBs cost to rent, anyway?
- Cripes, this isn't FiOS; this is IPTV over DSL! Something seems off...
- Can't stop watching even while getting pizza delivered? Seems like addictive behavior.
- Hey, I can use my front door to go out and spend time with my neighbors, friends and family!