TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #121
rogmatic

I really don't think it is TWC this time. I have no issues with my other Tivos. I think it is a problem with the elite itself. If it were just a cable card issue why would it lose the network channels that come over basic cable?
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #122
Jackamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
I really don't think it is TWC this time. I have no issues with my other Tivos. I think it is a problem with the elite itself. If it were just a cable card issue why would it lose the network channels that come over basic cable?
When I had BrightHouse, the digital tuner adapter was always the issue for my TiVo's. When I went to FiOS. Not one issues. Not one. (Knock on circuit board.)
Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #123
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackamus View Post
When I had BrightHouse, the digital tuner adapter was always the issue for my TiVo's. When I went to FiOS. Not one issues. Not one. (Knock on circuit board.)
The evidence is overwhelming in this thread that the issue is the Elite. Other TiVos using same CC, cables, TA, etc. have no problem where the Elite is failing. Plus there are some threads with tuning issues for Elites using FiOS as well which further implicates the Elite.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #124
rogmatic

What kind of cable cards do you have? I have Motorola with a Motorola tuning adapter.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #125
rogmatic

TiVo help desk today said my SNR of 35-36 is too high so I should try an attenuator. Will let you know if this works.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #126
MeInDallas

Quote:
TiVo help desk today said my SNR of 35-36 is too high so I should try an attenuator. Will let you know if this works.
Been there, done that, didnt work.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #127
gteague
golftango

snr, _by definition_ cannot be 'too low'. unless they are using some definition they made up. it is signal-to-noise-ratio. common sense would tell you that you cannot have too high a ratio of signal as compared to noise.

you can, however, have too high a signal level. nearly any receiver will go into an overload condition with too high a signal level. but snr is an entirely different measurement and i'm not sure that all the techs at tivo understand this distinction.

/guy
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #128
rogmatic

Well, I am going to try it. The signal loses are terrible. Otherwise I love the elite.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #129
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post

but snr is an entirely different measurement and i'm not sure that all the techs at tivo understand this distinction.

/guy
Reading from a script, no doubt.

Quote:
Did they give a target value?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #130
rogmatic

He said low 30s. The website troubleshooting says 29-35. I am not optimistic that this is the problem. It works great for 2 days, drops all signals, and once I reboot is fine for another couple of days.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #131
MeInDallas

I deactivated my Elite yesterday, put it in the box, and put it away in the closet for now. I put one of my $49 Premieres in it's place and I can actually watch TV now in my living room! I wish I had just went this route in the first place, but live and learn I guess.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #132
gteague
golftango

2012_0407 0615ct

Problem: had just gotten home from work and turned on the tv and was watching live tv when the image froze and i get 'problem with the signal on this cable channel' on all channels.
Fix: re-seated cable card. all channels restored. i sure hope it lasts through the weekend because if i miss game of thrones, tivo might get this one back with a flaming bag of dog poop thrown in.
Note: Same ole', same ole'

after experiencing 4 tuners and 3tb of storage, i don't think i could go back to a premiere with 2 tuners and 0.250tb storage although perhaps 2tb externals are available--i pounced on a 1tb refurb over christmas that was very cheap considering the hd shortage at the time. even if tivo gave me 4 premieres to replace this one elite, i wouldn't have room to install it.

/guy
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #133
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
Problem: had just gotten home from work and turned on the tv and was watching live tv when the image froze and i get 'problem with the signal on this cable channel' on all channels.
Fix: re-seated cable card. all channels restored. i sure hope it lasts through the weekend because if i miss game of thrones, tivo might get this one back with a flaming bag of dog poop thrown in.
Note: Same ole', same ole'

after experiencing 4 tuners and 3tb of storage, i don't think i could go back to a premiere with 2 tuners and 0.250tb storage although perhaps 2tb externals are available--i pounced on a 1tb refurb over christmas that was very cheap considering the hd shortage at the time. even if tivo gave me 4 premieres to replace this one elite, i wouldn't have room to install it.

/guy
How did you add another TB of storage to the Elite? I thought all Tivo were stuck at 2.2TB?
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #134
rogmatic

I am having the same problems as well but don't want to go back to the normal premiere. Right now I am recording every show on my Premiere and HD as backup and then transferring them to my elite when there are issues. I know I should give up on the elite but I just can't.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #135
GoEagles

I'll add my experience to this if it helps:

Just setup a Premiere Elite last night and for whatever reason, it didn't want to show guide data correctly, or not enough of it. Finally after 7-8 reboots and clearing and deleting everything including my season passes that I transferred over, it finally showed more than 24-48 hours of guide data.

Also, sometimes I have to look under the guide data for my second Premiere box that is monthly and then switch the option to record to the Elite box if I want to schedule a Season Pass.

My device has PLS, but for some odd reason, I can't switch to the HD menu, and there isn't even an option to do so. It should be there right under "Displays on the Front of the DVR", but it isn't.

I had to be the first call this morning, apparently there is some issue with activations with the Elite boxes (some AP setting I think he said) and they are taking about 3 days to get this resolved.

I am running 20.20a-01-2-758
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #136
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
How did you add another TB of storage to the Elite? I thought all Tivo were stuck at 2.2TB?
On the Elite you can add the 1TB WD Expander, or you can send your Elite to Weaknees and they will add a 2TB expander for a total of 4TB.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-premiere-elite-series4.php
Old 04-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #137
gteague
golftango

2012_0407 0830-1600ct

Problem: before going to work i thought i'd better check to see if my channels were gone again and sure enough they were. same scenario--grey screens with 'problem with signal' error messages. i had just reset the card at around 0630ct and sometime in the hours i was asleep it went out again.
Fix: re-seated cable card.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #138
rogmatic

Anyone think it would help to hook up a signal booster? It boosts it to 100 signal with 36 SNR (I am guessing based on what it did to my HD). I think there is a glitch in the tuning adapter software but I am willing to try anything. I haven't gotten it to work for longer than 2 days yet.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #139
gteague
golftango

signal boosters usually introduce noise, but they're (relatively) cheap and easy to install. as are attenuators. anything is worth trying, although neither made the least difference in my particular case. nothing changes the amount of time the tivo will hold a signal except cable cards and my cable company will no longer give me any.

it would be far preferable if tivo would give us a clue as to where to start rather than blaming everything on the cable company. it's pretty evident the elites sometimes won't work under the exact same conditions some of their other boxes thrive in. the exact same cable card i took out of my series 3 will only work 8-36 hours at a time in the elite, for example, and i'm sure tivo knows why, but doesn't want to risk a lawsuit or a recall.

/guy
Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #140
MeInDallas

Quote:
Anyone think it would help to hook up a signal booster? It boosts it to 100 signal with 36 SNR (I am guessing based on what it did to my HD). I think there is a glitch in the tuning adapter software but I am willing to try anything. I haven't gotten it to work for longer than 2 days yet.
Tried that also. Didnt work. After 3 Elites in 2 months I've given up

I just think its some glitch in the Tivo software and one day they will fix it, hopefully. Until then it can sit in the box in my closet.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #141
gteague
golftango

you probably didn't have lifetime on the elite since you had trouble with it from day one, right? so you just cancelled your service on that box?

unfortunately, i paid up front for lifetime for mine, so even if i did get a premiere, i don't know if they'd transfer my lifetime to it. but maybe they would if i raised a stink since i have had long-running tickets with them.

/guy
Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #142
MeInDallas

Yeah I just got the month to month and was going to sell my 2 HD's that have lifetime on them, and then get the lifetime on the Elite and one of my new Premiere's with that money. I just wanted to see how the Elite worked out before I made any commitments on it. I had been reading a lot about the issues the Premiere's had here for awhile so thats why I had held off on buying, but from what I had read it seemed a lot of them had been worked out with the recent software updates. I really didnt think adding 2 more tuners to a Premiere would be that big a deal, but guess I was wrong. Come to find out everything is different, motherboard, power supply, tuners. So I guess that created a whole set of new problems and glitches.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #143
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

I was considering getting an Elite, but after reading this - no way. I'm in Austin on TWC and while Austin has a reputation of being better at the whole SDV/TA/CableCard process . . . I still don't want to try it. Right now we have analog cable with OTA digital on a Series 3 and and HD. I might consider a Premiere XL, but then I'd worry about changing to digital cable with a cable card and TA. Too many people seem to have problems with this whole setup.

Why can't we have a national cable technology standard like we do for broadcasting over the air? Things would be so much easier.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #144
MeInDallas

I have 2 regular Premiere's and 2 HD's with cable cards and tuning adapters on TWC digital and theres never any problems. All shows get recorded, no reboots or anything. It's just the Elite doesnt get along with TWC here. I thought with the other ones working so well, why not try an Elite and sell the HD's. Didnt work out that way.

When Dallas first got SDV back in 2008 it was a complete nightmare. Once they started the self install I went back to the cable cards on Tivo and its been like a dream. I was pleasantly surprised how well they work now. Maybe once a month or every 6 weeks I've had to pull the plug on the tuning adapters and let them reboot, but thats not bad at all to me.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #145
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I have 2 regular Premiere's and 2 HD's with cable cards and tuning adapters on TWC digital and theres never any problems. All shows get recorded, no reboots or anything. It's just the Elite doesnt get along with TWC here. I thought with the other ones working so well, why not try an Elite and sell the HD's. Didnt work out that way.
Yeah that is really unfortunate for Tivo. I have had some experience with a regular Premiere on analog cable and it was good. Also good to know you have had success with your Premieres and the TA. I had hoped to use an Elite to not only gain tuners and convenience, but save some electricity and shelf space by selling one of the older units.

I guess I can still wait a while longer to see if Tivo can get the Elite sorted out.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #146
rysand

This is a re-post of mine from a different thread, but feel it's relevant enough to be shared here:

Quote:
Just bought my first TiVo box since DirecTV had them the first time. Last year moved to a wooded lot, so forced to go comcast. Their DVR is pretty lame. I purchased a premier elite and plan on upgrading the rest of the house in the future.

Anyways on Wednesday I hooked it up, purchased lifetime, got the cable card paired and a bunch of shows in the season pass. Then discovered it would not record at all. Support said I got a lemon and needed to go get another one. I did have access to VOD but never noticed the choice for an HD menu.

Brought home the replacement on Thursday. They switched it over, helped me pair the card and I can record. Now I dont have VOD or the option to change tivo central to HD. Support said I was missing 'categories' and that the engineers are on it. For putting down nearly $1,000 out of pocket to get started, I am off to a pretty rocky start.

It is nice to know it's not just me. I just wish that support would post something either via twitter or Facebook keeping us updated.

rysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #147
rogmatic

I don't suppose there is a way of forcing a reboot automatically before primetime. Maybe with an advanced surge protector I could kill power and flip it back. I am so frustrated.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #148
MeInDallas

Quote:
I don't suppose there is a way of forcing a reboot automatically before primetime. Maybe with an advanced surge protector I could kill power and flip it back. I am so frustrated.
Get one of those $5 lamp timers from Walmart and set it to go off and come right back on before the prime time hour.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #149
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Get one of those $5 lamp timers from Walmart and set it to go off and come right back on before the prime time hour.
Putting a TiVo on a timer would be an act of desperation. It might help avoid certain specific problems, but it surely wouldn't be good for the longevity of your TiVo or its hard drive.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #150
MeInDallas

I dont think the constant rebooting and other problems some of the Elite owners are going thru helps with the longevity of the Tivo as well. Thursday night the night before I deactivated my Elite, I had to reboot mine 12 times within a 3 hour period. I'm thinking desperation is what a lot of us feel at this point.