TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #61
gteague
golftango

2012_0216 1745ct

problem: watching live tv when it froze, then a gray screen, then a message of 'channel not authorized.
fix: called tivo and the tech i was working with was not available and the tech i spoke to said he didn't have access to time-warner level3. i called tw myself to pair one of the new cable cards. got one of the very first techs at the tw support that i'd spoken to nearly two months ago working on the same problem. he remembered me right away. very sad to be on first name basis with all these support folks.
note: very disappointing that new cable cards are as old are older than the ones i was using that weren't working.

this tech is struggling to get this new cable card working. actually, he seems unable to get my account connected up with the channels i'm supposed to receive. i'm getting the 2-99 basic channels and the local channels, just not my premium channels on the sdv which say 'not authorized'.

well, just when you think things can't get any worse ,they go downhill. the 'new' card we put in was older than the one i'm having problems with and we had to remove it. the other two 'new' ones i got from the cable company the other day turned out to be type-s cards despite their assurances that all 3 were type-m.

we ended up putting the original card back in and i've made no progress whatsoever and lost 2 more hours of recordings and a slice of my life i won't get back.

Last edited by gteague : 02-16-2012 at 09:09 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #62
gteague
golftango

2012_0217 1951ct

problem: just a couple of hours after i left for work i again lost signal and the tivo didn't recover. i know the exact time because i had 51 minutes of two recordings that started at 1900.
fix: soft reboot (via menu system). if i can fix the g__damm problem with a soft reboot, why can't the friggin' tivo recover on its own?
note: i can no longer count on this tivo to record anything at any time. my $900 has gone for nothing but frustration and a full time unpaid job for me as tivo tech support. what crap and bs this all is.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #63
gteague
golftango

2012_0218 1900ct

problem: yet again, just a couple of hours after i left for work my tivo stopped recording. but this time it had another diabolical trick up its sleeve. instead of just quitting recording shows when it had no signal, it would record for 10 minutes, then quit. then, evidently the signal returned and it would try again at the next scheduled recording. i think that this time i did not lose signal completely and never regain it, but that signal noise caused the tivo to think it was actually recording programming. it did this for 6-8 recordings between 1900-0100 and then didn't record the 4 recordings i had scheduled for after 0100.
fix: reseated cable card.
note: the situation has gone far downhill from the glory days when things would work for up to 48 hours before locking up. now i'm lucky if it lasts for 8 hours. i even set up a rube goldberg worthy system where i would login to my mac from work and use kmttg to check whether the tivo was recording. but the partial recordings tripped me up and i thought it was ok up until about 0100 when i checked it last. i even have a script written out for how i could reboot the tivo without being able to see it by using the kmttg remote tool and hitting each command in order, flying blind. i'm disgusted with everyone involved in this fiasco--not one person in either of two companies has been the least bit effective no matter their profuse and seemingly sincere desire to help and i'm fed up with it. they are powerless tools spouting their corporate customer service mantras which mean less than nothing.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #64
gteague
golftango

2012_0219 0800ct

problem: watching a recorder show and switched over to live tv to find a 'channel not authorized' message followed by a signal loss message.
fix: soft reboot via menu system. unsure if this is going to fix it because i'm going to bed and not waiting the 10 minutes it takes to reboot. i had just reseated the cable card less than 2 hours ago.
note: just about on my last nerve here. while the damm thing was working for 48 hours at a stretch i could afford to be a little patient. no mas.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #65
gteague
golftango

2012_0220 2100-0400ct

problem: watching a show recorded around 2100 this evening and i noticed it was so pixellated it would barely play. i checked the following recordings and most of them were unusable due to noise. then i went to live tv and all i saw were gray screens with 'no signal' and 'channel not authorized'.

fix: soft reboot via menu system. but something i can't explain, originally when playing the recordings i was seeing noise so bad they were unwatchable. after the reboot the same recordings are now ok. how can this be? at first glance this would seem indicate something wrong in some layer of the tivo it seems to me. evidently the noise wasn't in the original recording and was being 'overlaid' (for lack of a better term) onto the recording. in other words, the fallout from the tivo losing track of my channels was permeating throughout the whole box on multiple layers. if my channels were degrading and going away while i was watching the recordings, the noise from the lossy signal was actually bleeding through to the pre-recorded shows. is this possible? have you ever heard of this happening? in all my problems with this situation over the last five years i can't ever remember noticing this phenomena.

note: cable company supposed to deliver more cable cards today. i'll believe it when i have them in my hands.

Last edited by gteague : 02-21-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #66
gteague
golftango

2012_0220 0630ct

the date is 2012_0221 0630ct [i can't edit the title]

problem: watching a show i again noticed pixallation. sure enough, i changed to livetv and 'no signal'.

fix: soft reboot via menu system. getting old.

note: why won't the tivo recover from this problem on its own?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #67
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
problem: watching a show recorded around 2100 this evening and i noticed it was so pixellated it would barely play. i checked the following recordings and most of them were unusable due to noise. then i went to live tv and all i saw were gray screens with 'no signal' and 'channel not authorized'.

fix: soft reboot via menu system. but something i can't explain, originally when playing the recordings i was seeing noise so bad they were unwatchable. after the reboot the same recordings are now ok. how can this be? at first glance this would seem indicate something wrong in some layer of the tivo it seems to me. evidently the noise wasn't in the original recording and was being 'overlaid' (for lack of a better term) onto the recording. in other words, the fallout from the tivo losing track of my channels was permeating throughout the whole box on multiple layers. if my channels were degrading and going away while i was watching the recordings, the noise from the lossy signal was actually bleeding through to the pre-recorded shows. is this possible? have you ever heard of this happening? in all my problems with this situation over the last five years i can't ever remember noticing this phenomena.

note: cable company supposed to deliver more cable cards today. i'll believe it when i have them in my hands.
It sounds like either something is broken in the TiVo playback circuitry or (more likely) something is overwhelming the TiVo processor so that it can't service the playback hardware in a timely manner. I suspect that the second option could be caused by the cable card (or maybe the tuning adapter?) requiring constant attention for some reason, but I'm only guessing. It's too bad we can't see a task manager list of processes running to see if some process is hogging all the CPU cycles. Maybe TiVo techs could test that idea in-house.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #68
gteague
golftango

the tivo tech they've sort of 'assigned' to this problem said that the current problem (which of course they only phrase as a cable card problem) could have caused this, although he and another tech said it was extremely rare for this to happen.

on the hopeful side of this issue is that tivo has finally deigned to try to intercede with time-warner with me at an advanced level if we get no satisfaction from the dispatch later this afternoon.

i'm so tired of popping out of every recorded show every 15 minutes to check if i've still got a livetv signal. and when i go to work, if it crashes early i'll lose a whole night of recordings. i've even been remotely logging into my mac from work and using kmttg to see if things are locked up and, if they are, using the kmttg remote facility to try to blindly step through a soft reset.

fun days, fun days ... [g]

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 02-21-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #69
gteague
golftango

2012_0221 1700ct

well, tw has again stiffed me. the tech showed up without any new cards, claiming that 'they' told him my service wasn't working because i hadn't 'registered' the cable cards i had. evidently not a single one of the notes for the work order that mike from level2 cable card self-install placed into it seem to have made it down to grunt level.

the tech was a very nice guy named godfrey who had worked there for 12 years, and after i related my ongoing problems to him he went to his truck and returned with a single cable card. it is an older serial number than the one i have in there now, but at least it's of the same vintage--which means most likely at least 3 years old.

of course, i have no way of knowing whether mike (who i've worked with 3 times now on pairing issues) actually put in the work order what he said he put in there. it's very bad when it comes to pass you don't trust a single person in the whole company. i think he did put in the work order correctly and my local company is just full of incompetent books from wall to wall and completely ignored him. the tech wouldn't show me the exact text of the work order.

/guy
Old 02-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #70
gteague
golftango

2012_0222 0800-1600

more tw madness. i went to the cable office to return the 3 useless cards they gave me last week and found out that the cable card i got from the truck roll yesterday had not been entered into their system. worse, the lady flat refused to enter it for me despite me having the serial number. then she claimed there was no supervisor or manager anywhere in the building and refused me access to their offices to go look for one. she also refused to issue me any more cable cards. she did give me a card with a manager's info but, surprise surprise, the manager did not respond at all to my (very polite) voice mail or email.

/guy
Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #71
gteague
golftango

2012_0223 1600ct

called the number of the installation supervisor who had left me his card over 3 years ago when i had to involve tw mgmt to fix a problem they caused with a premature tuning adaptor rollout. he checked and said he found a couple of account 'discrepancies' which he said he corrected and then i asked him to register the cable card the last truck tech brought me that never got entered into their system and he called back and said he'd done that as well. reported this to tivo who thought this deserved optimism. personally, i'm all out of optimism by this late in the game.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #72
gteague
golftango

2012_0226 0630ct

problem: arrived home from work and found livetv showing a pixellated screen and the '... channel not authorized' message. i changed the channel and all the channels seemed to recover. but over the next 10 minutes the tivo slowed to a crawl, sometimes taking 2 or 3 clicks to recognize a command. then the screen went to gray and the tivo stopped responding to commands and wouldn't respond to kmttg as well.

[b]fix/B]: pulled ethernet, hdmi, and then the coax input cables and plugged them back in. after this i discovered the tivo had rebooted itself.

note: as this is not exactly the problem scenario and symptoms i've been documenting up to now, i'm going to try to remain optimistic that this event was an anomaly. but perhaps i just caught the problem in the earliest stages and it would have exhibited the same behavior (losing all channels) eventually if i hadn't intervened.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #73
gteague
golftango

2012_0227 0217ct

problem: same problem has recurred again after the account discrepancy corrections performed a few days ago by the installation supervisor. arrived home from work and found livetv showing a grey screen and there were no channels available.

fix: restarted from menu

note: will have to pair my last remaining cable card and if it doesn't work i'll have to scrounge up yet more cable cards.

Last edited by gteague : 02-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #74
bertram4711

Same prob

Hey,

sounds all familiar to me! Im having also an elite box and having
exactly the same problems as you are describing.

I changed cables, cablecard and even the elite box was replaced by TiVo,
but still no success. Im having also a tivo premiere box with two tuners
and there everything is working fine. I even switched locations to make
sure its not the signal/cable etc. BUT always the elite box is having problems
and not the premiere box.

So i think TiVo messed something up with the software or the box in general
has problems with some cablecards.

I also made sure my cable provider is only transmitting digital channels as i know analog channel could mess up the elite.

I will again try to exchange my cablecard again to see if that helps otherwise
there is only one solution: Get rid of this damn box.

FYi: Im not having TW, im having MarcoCable (local provider)

Greetings...
bertram4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #75
dinglehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfowitz View Post
I'm having the same problem as you are. I've got a Tivo Series 3 that works perfectly, but my Tivo Premier Elite is having the same problems as yours. I reboot it and it works for about 8-20 hours, then it starts getting heavy dropouts and eventually just turns to black screen and says "not authorized to get this channel". Even the recordings get the dropouts. I'm with Verizon Fios (no tuning adapter). I find myself manually rebooting the Elite right before important shows are about to record (just as insurance).
I am also seeing the same issue with my Elite with TW. My other two premieres in the house have been working flawlessly. I'm on my 3rd cableCARD and 2nd tuning adapter. I still have to reboot every few days. The TW Tech has checked the levels every time they've been out and the levels are always in acceptable range..
Sony 55" LED TV
KEF KHT 2005 Speaker System
XBOX 360
dinglehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #76
gteague
golftango

2012_0301 0900-1700ct

Problem: sometime while i was asleep today the box lost all channels again. not sure when because i'm not sure if any recording were scheduled for the time period.

Fix: my usual fix of removing ethernet, hdmi, and coax did not break it free, so i did a menu reset.

Note: since the time-warner supervisor found and (supposedly) corrected some anomalies on my account last week i've gone down at least 4 times. two of those times didn't seem quite like the same as my ongoing symptoms, but two of these times (including this one) fit the symptoms exactly. i do have the one cable card on deck and if i don't call and pair it up this evening, i'll try to do it early monday morning when i get off work. i sort of don't want to do it this evening because i'm going to be gone fri/sat/sun and if this new card is worse than the existing one i might miss the whole weekend of recording. at least this card is working for 24-48 hours at a time.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #77
wingfat

This is the saddest story I have ever read..You need to let this go..

Clearly the "Elite" is not ready for prime time. Whatever the cause.
wingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #78
Richard Cranium

Really... Why don't you just give them a thousand bucks, let them kick you in the nuts and then go get yourself an HR34?
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #79
gteague
golftango

2012_0302 0800-1600ct

Problem: sometime while i was asleep today the box lost all channels again. not sure when because i'm not sure if any recording were scheduled for the time period.

Fix: i was running for work, so all i had time to do was reset. channels recovered after reset.

Note: will definitely pair up my one remaining untried cable card early monday morning when i get off work.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #80
angel35

Boy no Elite for me untill they have the real fix When ever that is??? ILL wait

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #81
gteague
golftango

2012_0303 0245-0630ct

Problem: while i was at work, lost signal/sync and came home to gray screen and 'no signal' messages. also lost some recordings the previous evening with the message 'channel not active'.

Fix: reseated cable card

Note: this gave me a good excuse to call and pair up my sole remaining cable card. the tech (carlos) had the least trouble of any of the nearly a dozen techs i've talked to since i started this nonsense back in december. hope this bodes well for the success of this card, the latest of nearly 10 i've tried over the months since i got the elite. cross your fingers and let the monitoring begin ...
Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #82
gteague
golftango

2012_0305 0900-1800ct

Problem: went to bed this morning with an optimistic attitude and a new cable card which i had gotten paired up in less that 15 minutes. woke up to 'channel not authorized' and no channels working.

Fix: reseated cable card

Note: i have asked tivo to contact the time warner install supervisor and come up with a troubleshooting plan different than just me spending hours per day trying to acquire and pair cable cards. i have little optimism left at this point, this is about the 8th cable card that's been paired up. and even when the card is working i get no enjoyment from watching the tivo since i'm having to bounce out of recordings every 15 minutes to check whether i still have livetv.

/guy
Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #83
gteague
golftango

i'm again beginning to be cautiously optimistic and perhaps the previous entry was an outlier. it was a '... not authorized' msg and not an '... unavailable' msg as the bulk of the others have been.

((867 324 / 60) / 60) / 24 = 10.0384722 [days]

that's tied or broken the record for the previous card which would normally work for 1-3 days but once did hold for 10 days. i notified tivo to stand by on contacting time warner for now, but it must be said that time warner did ignore my last request for cable cards back when i thought this card was going to follow the pattern of all the others yet again.

i actually watched a full movie recording all the way through without bouncing back out to livetv to make sure i still had channels, so that's the first 'normal' viewing and use of this elite in 3 months.

and even if my temporary problem is finally solved, there are still problems that are waiting to hit others. first, that the tivo elite would not work under exactly the same conditions that a tivo series3 was working under and, second, that time-warner north texas absolutely will not work with their customers to satisfy tivo's requirements.

/guy
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #84
gteague
golftango

2012_0320

perhaps the last entry in the log? i sent the following to the tivo personnel i've been working with over the last 3 months:
my 'root cause analysis' of this 'incident' would be that a subset of the overall problem has been solved by finding a specific sample (cable card) that would mate up to a specific tivo elite. still unresolved is whether the sample and quality variation in cable cards is the problem (and based on anecdotal evidence over the years i do consider this a huge, perhaps the only, factor) or whether the tivo does not have the flexibility to accept cards that are slightly or moderately or largely out of parameters and don't meet industry or agreed on specifications. the case against the elite cannot be dismissed because, as my particular situation showed, two of the elites would not work under the exact same environment and conditions and with the same cards as a series3 tivo. but against this is the undeniable fact that the cable company, as far as i can tell, never pulls any cable cards from their system unless they are physically damaged and seem to have no testing process of their own for them.

but, based on no specific knowledge, i think that possibly those problems could be solved on your end by you guys via a hardware/manufacturing change or perhaps even a firmware patch. whether the expense of fixing it on that end or the pain of dealing with customers like me who are affected is worse, i guess the accountants get to decide. and usually, in my experience, they leave the customer service department to deal with such problems rather than re-tool or patch.

but the real problem you guys have is having to depend on sales based on cooperation and compliance to agreed on standards from the idiots at the cable company. i hate to malign normal folks who are just trying to do their job, but the ones here at my cable company seem to have absolutely no training or resources whatsoever--i'm sure i've met many of them in a previous life passing a hamburger over a counter. worse, they have no escalation path to provide to the customer. i've worked on variations of help desks for many years and this is just beyond my comprehension--i've never worked for an organization that would leave the customer at a complete dead end like i was stonewalled for over 3 months. but, as i told you, this isn't even an anomaly as about 3 years ago when they rolled out tuning adaptors i was left hanging and had to contact the time-warner ceo to get anything done--that's how i had robert's (tw install supvr) info to begin with. as far as i can tell, short of a ceo summit, i doubt there's a thing you can do about this problem other than what you've done with me--tried to provide me as much support as you could and talk me down from putting nails in all the tires in their parking lot!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #85
jrtroo
User

Have you ever considered sending this record to the parties that be over at the FCC and whatever local authority (Commission or even AGs office) you have?

This could be fun on their facebook page as well.

This is the best documentation I have seen, and demonstrates the slow burn that these issues have while TW notes there are "no issues" to authorities.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #86
gteague
golftango

tksk @jrtroo. and i didn't even start this log until 1 month into the problem.

i have been corresponding with an individual on the managerial team at tivo who is going to make sure this info gets to the appropriate party or parties.

/guy
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #87
Teeps

gteague,
I feel your pain...
I've had continuous problems with my S3 since having to install a tuning adapter last July. The problem goes unresolved, save for a band aide countermeasure discovered over in the S3 forum.

I was just about to buy an Elite until I read this thread.
I refuse to spend 500 bucks on a new machine and run the risk of having more grief.

I do commend your tenacity with regard to pursuing this problem. Not me, I would have demanded my money back.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #88
rogmatic

I love the Elite, but I have now had the exact same problem 2 nights in a row. Around 7 pm central (critical TV watching time) I have lost signal and the channels are recording in a scrambled form. If I reboot the tivo, the signal is perfect. This is not happening to my normal Premiere and never happened to my HD. No clue what is going on or how to address it.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #89
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
I love the Elite, but I have now had the exact same problem 2 nights in a row. Around 7 pm central (critical TV watching time) I have lost signal and the channels are recording in a scrambled form. If I reboot the tivo, the signal is perfect. This is not happening to my normal Premiere and never happened to my HD. No clue what is going on or how to address it.
Just curious, what cable system are you on? I'm on TWC. Thats pretty much the same time it happens to my Elite as well. Always during prime time hours when I record most my of shows. I try to manually reboot mine around 6:30pm or a little bit after that so its coming off a fresh reboot going into prime time. Also I'm on my 3rd Elite now as of this week. If I cant get this one to work soon I'm just going to cancel it for awhile until they get the bugs worked out.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #90
gteague
golftango

isn't it strange that 7pm (at least here in dfw) seems to be the most problematical time? the very start of 'prime time', i think.

as you've read in my other thread, i've finally got a cable card that works for days instead of hours, but back when i was having to check for signal every half-hour i always breathed a little easier when i made it past 7:30 or 8pm every day. i lost half of a good many half-hour shows due to having to reboot.

/guy