TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #361
MeInDallas

Gteague did you get that new firmware update (1.37) the other night on your tuning adapters? About midnight there was a new firmware update that was pushed out, and now when I go into my Ceton diagnostic screen, and look at the tuning adapter, it says "6 tuners available" and it didnt have that before. Are you using the Motorola ones? Did it help the situation any with your Tivo?
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #362
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Gteague did you get that new firmware update (1.37) the other night on your tuning adapters? About midnight there was a new firmware update that was pushed out, and now when I go into my Ceton diagnostic screen, and look at the tuning adapter, it says "6 tuners available" and it didnt have that before. Are you using the Motorola ones? Did it help the situation any with your Tivo?
you've caught me flatfooted on this one. i can't even find a definitive place to show the firmware version of the tuning adaptor, which is a motorola.

if what i'm reading is right, the last time the ta has been reset or rebooted or lost lock was on 10/31 so i'd have to tentatively conclude that i didn't get an update.

and i'm not really having any serious, show-stopping problems anymore. noise on certain channels. the worst thing to happen in the last 6 months has been this later update. first, i lost most of my wishlists. they just got stuck at 'updating' in the new spm and i felt i had to just delete and re-create them. then, when i re-created them the contents of the old wishlist folders spewed into the general index of /my shows/ with no way to clean them up or put them into a folder.

and when i went to re-create the wishlists, i discovered that if you try to put a title and flag it with (-) for don't record, it kills the whole wishlist. i like to do a category wishlist such as /science&nature/ and then flag shows to not record and i can't do that. tivo margaret says this will be fixed in an update next year. but this update has also regressed all the speed tivo had gained with the hd interface and those spinning pizza pies abound.

oh well, sorry to get off subject and rant out. in short, i don't seem to have gotten a tuning adaptor firmware update. perhaps someone can remind me where i can look for the firmware version.

/guy
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #363
MeInDallas

OK if youre in the HD menus, go to Tivo Central, then down to Settings & Messages, then over to Settings, then it will take you to an SD menu. Go down to Remote, Cable Card, & Devices, then when you get to the next menu, go down to Tuning Adapter. Click on that then Tuning Adapter Diagnostics and you will go into that weird grey screen. Then go down to Code Modules and click on that. You should see there the Platform Version: 01.37, if you got the new firmware update. The previous one was 1.35 that we had. You will have to click Clear to get out of the grey screen.

I've been trying to find online an update log somewhere to see what was released in that version, but theres just nothing out there on it that I can see. I wish I knew what this release fixed, or updated. No one seems to have any clue about it. I've read in some other forums that I follow, that other people got it as well, but no one knows anything about the fixes.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #364
gteague
golftango

dang, i thought i went into every one of those funky menu screens, but evidently not. in any case, yeah, i'm still on 01.35 which says it was built 3 years ago on 12 nov 2009.

unlike some others, i've never been able to pin down any specific problems to the tuning adaptor. in the middle of my worst problems, tw replaced my original ta with a new one, but, as far as i could tell, it made no difference whatsoever at the time.

but of course i freely acknowledge that i don't have a 100% understanding of the signal flow through the tuning adaptor.

/guy
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #365
MeInDallas

I definately think the issue has something to do with either the cable card or the tuning adapter, or maybe a combination of them both. I always noticed the "lost channel syndrome" seemed to be cured sometimes by just pulling the cable card out and sticking it back in, and sometimes I could even pull the tuning adapter USB out and put it back in and the channels would come back, and I didnt have to go thru a whole reboot. I dont guess I'll ever know what the problem is now at this point.

You might want to try to unplug the tuning adapter, wait a couple of minutes, and then plug it back in, and see if it will download the firmware update from the headend. I'm not sure why you havent gotten it yet. Maybe they are just rolling it out a little at a time in different areas. The 1.35 version was from 2009 and now it says the 1.37 version is from 2010, so I do wonder if there are any firmware updates in the last 2 years that are out there. Makes you wonder.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #366
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
<del>
You might want to try to unplug the tuning adapter, wait a couple of minutes, and then plug it back in, and see if it will download the firmware update from the headend. I'm not sure why you havent gotten it yet. Maybe they are just rolling it out a little at a time in different areas. The 1.35 version was from 2009 and now it says the 1.37 version is from 2010, so I do wonder if there are any firmware updates in the last 2 years that are out there. Makes you wonder.
i think i'll forego pulling the plug for now. for one thing, tivo couldn't have fscked up my wishlists any more with this latest update if they'd been a hacker group with a grudge. given the cold snap txu will probably drop my power tonight anyway. [g]

i'm trying to catch up on my recordings at the moment. a year ago when i bought the elite i bought a western-digital drive from newegg and i hesitated because it was refurbished. but it was cheap and such drives were hard to get at the time. but about 3-6 months ago it's been causing problems at reboot and since tw has the copy-protection flags i can't copy off the files so i could replace the drive. i tried replacing the cable and moving the power adaptor, but neither of those things helped and i suspect the drive will go out sooner rather than later. so i hold my breath every time my tivo has to reboot.

/guy
Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #367
gteague
golftango

let's take a moment and ponder, please ...

... that i started this thread on 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM after several months of problems with the tivo elite, so, approx two years of fighting this problem or these problems.

in june my tw internet was down more than it was up. just when they would schedule a truck roll it'd come back up. towards the end of the month i had to pay $100 for a month of clear cellular internet service since my tw internet was down for a week.

so i called tw accounts seeking a rebate on my internet service for june and they basically told me to f___ off. this time i didn't go to their ceo but i did start posting on facebook and twitter and other places i thought might make them uncomfortable. finally i got contact from an escalation office who scheduled a truck roll--that very evening in fact, a world's record. well, except for that time i went through their ceo and got half their techs converge on my house just to get the tuning adaptor working, but i digress ...

local yokel tech shows up by himself around 2100 obviously wanting nothing but to get home to dinner and at first refuses to even look at anything since my catv and internet are both working. i show him my logs and log into the cable modem and show him what it shows about the connection.

finally he pulls out his meter and measures 10db at my wall. he then goes to my outside box and measures -2db coming in from their switch or repeater. which means i'm losing 12db from their box to my wall. tech looks closer and finds a pretty wrecked connector--white spots of buildup and it looks like it's been crimped badly as well. he builds a new connector and re-checks the signals and i win the pool at 4db (he had 2db) at my wall. this means my signal has improved 200% or more (well, at least my signal strength has increased 200%) and 6db loss is easily accounted for by cable run length, connectors, and splitters. s/n readings went up from 33-35 to 36-38 on cable modem and tivo. signal strength increased from 94 to 95 on tivo.

bottom line; for the first time in two years i'm actually getting what i pay for in terms of service delivery. my tivo hasn't lost all channels in a month or so and i only occasionally have a signal loss on a single channel, easily accounted for by satellite degradation.

oh, and they refunded my entire june internet bill as well. all i can say is keep after them and fight the good fight. of course you only have to fight if you can't find a service you think might be better and for me that was the case.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 07-29-2013 at 09:38 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #368
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
... that i started this thread on 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM after several months of problems with the tivo elite, so, approx two years of fighting this problem or these problems.

local yokel tech shows up <snip> finally he pulls out his meter and measures 10db at my wall. he then goes to my outside box and measures -2db coming in from their switch or repeater. which means i'm losing 12db from their box to my wall.

tech looks closer and finds a pretty wrecked connector--white spots of buildup and it looks like it's been crimped badly as well. he builds a new connector and re-checks the signals and i win the pool at 4db (he had 2db) at my wall. this means my signal has improved 200% or more (well, at least my signal strength has increased 200%) and 6db loss is easily accounted for by cable run length, connectors, and splitters. s/n readings went up from 33-35 to 36-38 on cable modem and tivo. signal strength increased from 94 to 95 on tivo.

/guy
Good to hear the problem is finally solved.

You know, the home run drop was suspected and mentioned several times in the 11 pages of this thread.
I'm surprised it took time warner[sic] so long to go there...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #369
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Good to hear the problem is finally solved.

You know, the home run drop was suspected and mentioned several times in the 11 pages of this thread.
I'm surprised it took time warner[sic] so long to go there...
there's been at least 3 techs inside that box in the last year and a half. but evidently they all missed this one. to be fair, you had to look really closely to see the problems. the bad crimping job ought to have been fairly obvious but the corrosion build up was very hard to see unless you were specifically looking for it, manifesting as white 'kruft' on the pin.

/guy
Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #370
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
there's been at least 3 techs inside that box in the last year and a half. but evidently they all missed this one. to be fair, you had to look really closely to see the problems. the bad crimping job ought to have been fairly obvious but the corrosion build up was very hard to see unless you were specifically looking for it, manifesting as white 'kruft' on the pin.

/guy
Sounds like the local yokel was either real good or lucky. I'll take either instance when it fixes a problem.

My, squirrel chewed cable, was a no brainer, once the tech decided to go up the pole.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #371
DaveDFW

Maybe your experience shows that the Elite and XL4 are extraordinarily susceptible to experiencing total tuner failure in the presence of low signal levels.

In the past I've owned S3s, HDs, and two-tuner Premieres that never experienced total tuner failure, despite being installed in the same location, using the same cabling, and presumably receiving the same signal levels.

Personally, I have not experienced the XL4 total tuner loss since approximately February, at which time I was experiencing tuner failure somewhat regularly. Either Tivo quietly pushed out a software fix or Time-Warner stopped sending the magic signal which the XL4 could not handle.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #372
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Maybe your experience shows that the Elite and XL4 are extraordinarily susceptible to experiencing total tuner failure in the presence of low signal levels.

<del>

Personally, I have not experienced the XL4 total tuner loss since approximately February, at which time I was experiencing tuner failure somewhat regularly. Either Tivo quietly pushed out a software fix or Time-Warner stopped sending the magic signal which the XL4 could not handle.
same here. and about the same time frame as well. i went from having to reseat the cable card at least 3-4 times a week (if not more) due to having zero channels accessible to only having a single 'channel not found' on a handful of channels about twice a week which could well be a source or satellite issue.

/guy
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #373
Teeps

Yesterday, I had the black screen on ch 469 NBCSN-HD (timewarner SDV channel. )
Flipping back and forth between the next up and down channel resumed the picture.
I pressed the record button, wanted to record the program that was live.
Well, I noticed the buffer was showing to the left of the progress indicator.

So, it appears that even though there was no picture. There was a stream that was recording in the buffer.

Same thing today when I checked; same channel.

Last edited by Teeps : 08-29-2013 at 12:15 PM.