TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #301
moyekj

Checking for RS uncorrected tonight the counts did go up on a couple of tuners to 20K range but nowhere near the millions I saw yesterday. My Premiere meanwhile has very low RS uncorrected counts (under 100) in contrast. However I didn't see pixelation in Elite recordings. So while not great Elite looks to be OK if it remains this way.

I use SDUI on both Elite & Premiere and noticed the Elite is just slightly more sluggish which is to be expected having 4 tuners to buffer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #302
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I installed my Woot Elite today, swapped CC and TA from my SD HDHomeRun Prime to the Elite. Cox had it re-paired in minutes, all channels working fine, no pixelation or signal issues. Love the Glo-Remote The buttons are so much more precise.

Installed CC and TA before running guided set-up. Took many (I lost count) connections before it updated to SW Vers 20.2.1.2. I ran into the DST issue where the clock was ahead one hour even after updating the SW, took a few more connections and reboots to get DST inactivated, (AZ does not do DST).

Copied over the season passes using kmttg. Some did not transfer, looks like if there is no guide data for that particular season pass it errors out is that correct, moyekj? EDIT: Found the answer: http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/remote_control
NOTE: Scheduling Season Passes only works if there is Guide Data present on the destination TiVo related to that show. Attempting to schedule a show for which there currently is no Guide Data will result in error message: "RPC error response: Unknown collection."

Here are my Elite Stats so far:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...88#post9163488
Cable Provider: Cox
City, State: PHX, AZ

Bluetooth Adapter: No

MoCA in Use: No
MoCA POE Filter Installed: No
MoCA POE Filter Installed at Modem: No

CableCARD Make: Scientific Atlanta (SA/Cisco)
CableCARD OS/Firmware Version: Cisco PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1601

Tuner Signal Strength: Range 2dBmV to -5dBmV (2dBmV @ 147MHz to -5dBmV @ 921MHz)
TiVo Signal Strength Meter: ~86-92
Tuner SNR: Range 32-38dB
OOB SNR: 34dB

RS Uncorrected: ~5000 not increasing
RS Corrected: ~50-200 not increasing

Tuning Adapter: Yes Cisco
Tuning Adapter OS/Firmware Version: Cisco STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
Tuning Adapter Coax: RF Pass-though used
Tuning Adapter Signal Strength Downstream (FDC): -5dBmV
Tuning Adapter Signal Strength Upstream (RDC): 29dB

No issues so far with signal or picture, or rebooting.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-05-2012 at 12:11 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #303
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Copied over the season passes using kmttg. Some did not transfer, looks like if there is no guide data for that particular season pass it errors out is that correct, moyekj? EDIT: Found the answer: http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/remote_control
NOTE: Scheduling Season Passes only works if there is Guide Data present on the destination TiVo related to that show. Attempting to schedule a show for which there currently is no Guide Data will result in error message: "RPC error response: Unknown collection."
You can use tivo.com to copy over the season passes that don't currently have guide data. It will not preserve the proper priority for them but you can then use kmttg to easily re-arrange the priorities. I copied over all season passes from Premiere to Elite that way and even though web page gave some strange error at the end it did eventually go through to the Elite (it also did cause the Elite to reboot itself as others have reported when using tivo.com for season passes). Then I used kmttg to re-arrange season passes order.

Glad to hear the Elite is working without trouble for you so far. My experience was shaky at first but seems to have stabilized now.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #304
yukit

This is probably not Elite specific, but SPM is not working for me to copy Season Passes from a TivoHD to a new Elite (Woot deal) It just gives me an unknown error.

4 tuners are working for me so far.

Xfinity on-demand access is a nice touch, but I find the navigation pretty slow, though I never had a Comcast settop box for a comparison.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #305
leiff

I wasted allot of time transferring my SP's to my XL4 from my S3 at tivo.com also getting errors. Finally realized doing too many all at once was causing this. Try maybe no more than 50 at once? Doing it this way worked for me transferring in blocks.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #306
PinWiz

I was fortunately able to transfer my season passes using tivo.com pretty much no problem. It did reorder them for no apparent reason. The only minor issue I have had in this area is renaming my two tivo's doesn't seem to have taken completely. The elite has gotten the new name 'bonus room', but the the old TivoHD I've tried to change from 'bonus room' to 'family room', it hasn't taken even after waiting several days for things to propagate.

It would be highly desirable to have wishlist support at tivo.com and the smartphone app.....
PinWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #307
jhjones75

I normally wouldn't pull the card for the loss of a couple channels either, but they were out for 3 days and survived a reboot, so that's when I finally tried it.
jhjones75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #308
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinWiz View Post
I was fortunately able to transfer my season passes using tivo.com pretty much no problem. It did reorder them for no apparent reason. The only minor issue I have had in this area is renaming my two tivo's doesn't seem to have taken completely. The elite has gotten the new name 'bonus room', but the the old TivoHD I've tried to change from 'bonus room' to 'family room', it hasn't taken even after waiting several days for things to propagate.

It would be highly desirable to have wishlist support at tivo.com and the smartphone app.....
After changing the name on tivo.com you have to net connect twice and then reboot the TiVo once you see the name change in System Information screen. If you don't reboot it will keep broadcasting the old name to other TiVos thus creating a mess. Once you reboot it will broadcast the new name. I just went through re-naming yesterday and found it took 2 net connects to get the new name and a reboot after that to eliminate old name broadcasting.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #309
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I wasted allot of time transferring my SP's to my XL4 from my S3 at tivo.com also getting errors. Finally realized doing too many all at once was causing this. Try maybe no more than 50 at once? Doing it this way worked for me transferring in blocks.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was copying about 30 SPs, so I did 10 at a time. that worked.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #310
TishTash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishTash View Post
I have identical issues. A restart usually solves the problem for a while, but it recurs within a day. (For me, reinserting the cable card doesn't.) I don't have issues with other TiVo's, which is the frustrating part.

Then I just realized: I added an Elite, with four tuners. Could this be a straw that can break a camel's back? I used to have no problems with three 2-tuner TiVo's off a splitter with a robust signal; now with the Elite, there are an extra two tuners.

I'm going disconnect the other two TiVo's and just have the problematic Elite feed off the signal. I'll let you know what ensues.
For me, by sheer luck I suppose, the deletion of the other tuners in the splitter hierarchy ended up "fixing" the tuner instability issue. I'm inferring—perhaps too simplistically, given the tales told here—that weak signals wreak havoc on the Elite/XL4 tuners. (And for all intents and purposes, the two are identical from my understanding.)

Oh well, time to rejigger the splitting setup.…
Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #311
scole250

Are the problems being reported here limited to the 4 tuner Premiere Tivo or both 4 tuner and 2 tuner?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #312
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
After changing the name on tivo.com you have to net connect twice and then reboot the TiVo once you see the name change in System Information screen. If you don't reboot it will keep broadcasting the old name to other TiVos thus creating a mess. Once you reboot it will broadcast the new name. I just went through re-naming yesterday and found it took 2 net connects to get the new name and a reboot after that to eliminate old name broadcasting.
You should not need to reboot the box. I've changed my names a bunch of times over the years and never needed to reboot any of the boxes for the name change to take effect. It only took one or two connections for the name change to show up on every box. I changed the name of one of my boxes last week. Depending on the box it took one or two connections for everything to show properly. It didn't take a reboot for any of my three Premieres.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #313
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
Are the problems being reported here limited to the 4 tuner Premiere Tivo or both 4 tuner and 2 tuner?
This thread is for documenting the Elite/XL4 experience/issues.

It appears the Elite/XL4 has less tolerance to signal issues than the regular Premieres. However, I and several others here are not having any issues at all, (knock on wood). My signals are relatively strong and clean though.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #314
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You should not need to reboot the box. I've changed my names a bunch of times over the years and never needed to reboot any of the boxes for the name change to take effect. It only took one or two connections for the name change to show up on every box. I changed the name of one of my boxes last week. Depending on the box it took one or two connections for everything to show properly. It didn't take a reboot for any of my three Premieres.
The problem is while the name change happens without rebooting the TiVo continues to broadcast the old name in addition to the new name under Bonjour, which only a reboot of that TiVo clears up. That was my experience anyway and matched what happened several months ago after renaming a Premiere as well. Perhaps giving it more time would clear away the old name broadcasting without rebooting but if you want everything working properly right away a reboot will do it.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #315
moyekj

My Elite in new location seems to be working well. All tuners can still tune and I have not had any more pixelation during playback and RS Uncorrected counts are in the thousands range, not millions. So the event where I had millions of RS Uncorrected must of been a 1 off problem with Cox that night and just bad timing coinciding with getting my Elite going. i.e. It won't work in the original location where I wanted it since the signal is apparently not optimal enough but works fine at new location, so I'll just leave it there.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #316
gteague
golftango

yeah, that sounded like more of a headend problem than a problem on the elite. it didn't quite fit the 'pattern' of problems.

i came home from work yesterday morning to find my tivo had rebooted itself. not sure why--there wasn't a generalized power outage. but it did reset my 21-day uptime i posted about which was one of the longest strings i've had without losing the channels. either my strategy of keeping tuned to sd channels when idle is paying off or there was something in the update that helped or the time warner signal has been less bad than usual--i just don't know. i'm just glad i haven't been having to re-seat my cable card every 3 days as i've been doing since i bought the elite last year.

/guy
Old 07-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #317
alyssa

being one that lives dangerously;
Whadda you all think of sending the hdd away to be paired prior to getting the CC installed? i.e. i can't get the unit running to make sure the hdd is working properly.

I'm heading away on vaka & would *love* to have a couple of paired hdds & the cc & ta waiting for me when i get home....Are there a lot of hdd problems with this unit (xl4/elite)?

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #318
PinWiz

Following the advice here, I rebooted my TivoHD, and the new name was finally broadcast. Note that I had made the name change about a week before this, so there were plenty of connections made. Rebooting did the trick.

My Elite is running well now, no problems or glitches. My 30 days expire on the 13th, and everything is looking good.

One of the reasons I went with an Elite was the built-in Moca networking, and it's working great. I have an Elite and a TivoHD on the network (as well as a PC). On TivoHD to Elite transfers I'm seeing ~26Mbps (as reported by the elite box). I assume the transfer rate is limited by the TivoHD. What's the real world maximum of each box? Whatever that number is, this is fast enough to essentially mimic streaming which is what I was after.
PinWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #319
Jonathan_S

I'm sure this isn't elite specific, but coming from the TiVoHD I've noticed two changes that are minor annoyances to me.

Wishlist searches: On the TiVoHD the results of a wishlist search would only show a given movie once, if you wanted to see additional airing you'd have to select it and pick the show upcoming episodes options (at least in general; occasionally you'd get guide data glitches that would cause a movie to be listed twice). I'd use that to see what recent movies were coming up.
On the elite it doesn't do that consolidation, so movies with multiple airings are listed multiple times (I assume one entry per airing; but I didn't bother to confirm that). This makes browsing the wishlist results far less useful as they're swamped by whatever is in heavy rotation on the premium channels.

Recording History: On the TiVoHD it was already somewhat annoying that the recording history was dominated by "28 day rule" entries telling me that extra copies of an episode weren't being recorded. But the Elite made it worse. Now it's even further cluttered by "repeat" entries; something that used to be unlisted. So now it's harder than ever to flip through the "future history" to see something that won't record.
(Of course with four tuners I doubt that'll come up much. But why make it less functional by burying any 'real' conflicts amid tons of entries things that it already recorded or was told never to record?)
Now if they added this AND a filter function so I could filter out the entries I didn't care about then it'd be wonderful. But without a filter it's just injecting more 'noise' and further burying the 'signal'.

All said, the four tuners and the extra speed are very nice. And the unit's been working great; no problems with it. I certainly wouldn't trade back. But why make those two things less functional?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #320
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Recording History: On the TiVoHD it was already somewhat annoying that the recording history was dominated by "28 day rule" entries telling me that extra copies of an episode weren't being recorded. But the Elite made it worse. Now it's even further cluttered by "repeat" entries; something that used to be unlisted. So now it's harder than ever to flip through the "future history" to see something that won't record.
The TiVo should have a Recording History severity display option allowing us to hide the "28 day rule" entries telling us only that a repeat showing wasn't (or won't be) recorded. Activating that option would make it easy to look for serious recording conflicts. Maybe the option could be toggled by one of the colored buttons.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #321
leiff

I hope Tivo finds more use for the color buttons. As it is I find almost no use for them.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #322
mrizzo80

Anyone ever experience a completely distorted picture with their Elite/XL4? Hard to describe what it looks like... almost like a hybrid of a normal image and a cartoon image. There are lines all over the place.

This occurs on live TV, recorded content, even the images on the HDUI menus. I just tried the HDUI reset command; did not fix it.

This has happened 2x now. A reboot fixed it the first time and I assume it will fix it this time as well. Have had the Elite for just over 2 months.

Anyone else ever see anything like this?

I've been on the fence regarding buying the 3 year extended warranty (the unit is lifetimed). Guess this will force me to.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #323
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Anyone ever experience a completely distorted picture with their Elite/XL4? Hard to describe what it looks like... almost like a hybrid of a normal image and a cartoon image. There are lines all over the place.

This occurs on live TV, recorded content, even the images on the HDUI menus. I just tried the HDUI reset command; did not fix it.

This has happened 2x now. A reboot fixed it the first time and I assume it will fix it this time as well. Have had the Elite for just over 2 months.

I've been on the fence regarding buying the 3 year extended warranty (the unit is lifetimed). Guess this will force me to.
I've seen wildly incorrect colors for the TiVo logo on a few occasions when the TV was turned on during the TiVo Premiere boot process. Or maybe the HDMI cable was reconnected during the boot process; I don't remember. Anyway, I think it's some kind of an HDMI negotiation anomaly. Your problem may be different.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #324
Teeps

Quote:

How is the TiVo connected to the TV?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #325
mrizzo80

Tivo --> Receiver via HDMI --> TV via HDMI.

I considered maybe an HDMI handshake issue, but didn't test much further. I assume if I change my receiver from TV Input to PS3 Input and turn on the PS3 to send a signal (and then turn the receiver back to TV input) that would force a new HDMI handshake between Tivo/Receiver/TV? Pulling the HDMI cable would be a challenge.

Just to clarify my earlier post, when I say lines, i don't mean horizontal or vertical lines. These are contoured lines/shadings layered onto the screen objects.

I had a Premiere for over 2 years and never saw this until I got the Elite. Exact same setup/HDMI cable.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #326
Teeps

Quote:
Tivo --> Receiver via HDMI --> TV via HDMI.

I had a Premiere for over 2 years and never saw this until I got the Elite. Exact same setup/HDMI cable.
Eliminate the variables:
connect TiVo to receiver using a new, or better, a "known good" hdmi cable.
connect TiVo directly to the TV with a "known good" hdmi cable.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #327
gteague
golftango

wow, look at this:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=476691

nearly a year of tivo/catv hell and how many posts here, and they finally acknowledge there might be a problem ...

/guy
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #328
MeInDallas

Shocks me as well. After all the money I spent buyng attenuators, signal boosters, and having Time Warner Cable techs coming out, at Tivo's direction. Not to mention taking a hit on selling a new Elite on Ebay at a $150 loss just to get the evil monster out of my house, they FINALLY say "Oh ooops sorry, there might be an issue here folks".

I'm flabbergasted right now
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #329
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Shocks me as well. After all the money I spent buyng attenuators, signal boosters, and having Time Warner Cable techs coming out, at Tivo's direction. Not to mention taking a hit on selling a new Elite on Ebay at a $150 loss just to get the evil monster out of my house, they FINALLY say "Oh ooops sorry, there might be an issue here folks".

I'm flabbergasted right now
i know. we went through it all together along with a couple of others who had the same problem at the time. i can't explain why my problem went nearly completely away--the only thing i did was what i posted before--making sure that all four tuners weren't on hd channels all the time, but i didn't get off absolutely free--it's now the exception rather than the rule when i get a recording on any channel without noise or some other sort of anomaly. but i am not about to start changing anything--i wouldn't go back to the way it was before where i could never count on my box recording anything anytime i was gone for more than 2 hours. i don't blame you for ditching yours.

/guy
Old 09-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #330
Teeps

Well, I stepped off the curb; bought a XL4 on Tuesday.
Got $50 knocked off the price (origially $399) after the $349 offer appeared on TiVo Central page, even though the $349 price was for an Elite.

TiVo even sold a life time sub for my S3 for $99, too.

It's supposed to be here Monday 24Sept12; we'll see how it goes.