TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
easymacbb

Same channel listed 4 times in guide

So last night I opened the guide up on the Tivo. Each channel in the Tivo was listed between 2 and 4 times in succession. So channel 704 was listed 4 times, then 705 4 times, etc. It seems to have occurred at the same time I got a message saying TiVo had run out of guide data (I think a 14.9 error or whatever). I've since restarted the TiVo, manually ran an update, and restarted again, and the problem is still there.

I've since gone and unchecked each additional instance of every channel in the setup menu, but has anyone else seen this?
easymacbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
easymacbb

as a follow up, the TiVo randomly adds back additional guide slots for the channels. Other channels are disappearing from the guide that I receive. Some channels are listed in the guide, and I get them, but it says channel is not available. I can't believe this all happened days after I hit my 1 year anniversary with the box
Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
LifeIsABeach

If you haven't done so already try rerunning Guided Setup.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
easymacbb

Yeah, did that last night. Did not help.

I tested the tuning adapter using the tivo menu options. It still happened there. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the TiVo or the tuning adapter at this point. It appears the adapter is sending the same channels to Tivo 3-4 times each. Recordings seem to be working as normal, but there's also nothing to record right now. I'd prefer not to have the whole system blow up in 2 weeks once things start recording again.

It is also refusing to add guide data for USA, TBS, and about 30 other stations.

If it is the tuning adapter, I have zero belief that if I try to explain it to Charter's phone help, they'd be able to understand it, let alone help me fix it.

I left the Tivo and Tuning adapter unplugged all last night to no avail. I'm tempted to go nuclear on the TiVo and erase everything, but then I believe I'd have to re-do the cable card/TiVo pairing, which I don't particularly want to do, especially if the problem is something wrong with the tuning adapter.

I think it is either the tuning adapter not sending the right channel information, or the TiVo (after the latest update) not receiving the information correctly.

How difficult is the pairing of the cable card and TiVo?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
easymacbb

So they told me this is a known issue when I called them, they even have steps to fix it. So even though I had already tried all the fixes, we spent 2 hours walking through them again, without it being fixed.

They went to their second level help/engineers, who said they were working on a fix and hoping to send out an update soon to fix it. So evidently I just have to deal with having an annoying, messed up TiVo for an undetermined amount of time.

Thankfully, all the channels are currently showing up in the guide (some went missing on the last reset), so it's not a huge deal right now.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
rainwater

The same thing has happened to me. Restarting, running guided setup, etc doesn't fix anything. I even had a few failed recordings because only 1 of the multiple channels listed tunes for me.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
easymacbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The same thing has happened to me. Restarting, running guided setup, etc doesn't fix anything. I even had a few failed recordings because only 1 of the multiple channels listed tunes for me.
The steps I was given were:

1: Re-run guided setup (This should fix it, they said).

2: uncheck all the channels (This should fix, it they said).

If those fail, I was told to re-run guided set up, but select a different cable provider and finish the set up. Make sure there are no channel doubling. Then re-run guided setup, but select the correct cable provider. This should fix it, they said.

None of those fixed mine, but who knows.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymacbb View Post
The steps I was given were:

1: Re-run guided setup (This should fix it, they said).

2: uncheck all the channels (This should fix, it they said).

If those fail, I was told to re-run guided set up, but select a different cable provider and finish the set up. Make sure there are no channel doubling. Then re-run guided setup, but select the correct cable provider. This should fix it, they said.

None of those fixed mine, but who knows.
I tried all of those and none of them fixed it. It happened as soon as I upgraded to 14.9.2.2. I never had this issue with 14.8.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
rainwater

Looks like the 20.x update doesn't fix this issue either. Now I have over a thousand channels in my guide. If you uncheck the duplicates of the channels, it isn't guarenteed that the one that is left unchecked can be tuned from the guide. And once every few days the duplicate channels are all set to unchecked. TiVo says there is no estimate when they might fix it. At this point it I'm going to have to switch to TW's DVRs. At least then I can be sure my season passes will record.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
easymacbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Looks like the 20.x update doesn't fix this issue either. Now I have over a thousand channels in my guide. If you uncheck the duplicates of the channels, it isn't guarenteed that the one that is left unchecked can be tuned from the guide. And once every few days the duplicate channels are all set to unchecked. TiVo says there is no estimate when they might fix it. At this point it I'm going to have to switch to TW's DVRs. At least then I can be sure my season passes will record.
Yep, still not fixed on mine. Haven't noticed channels disappearing yet or the duplicates getting unchecked.

I did toy around with it the other day. I unplugged both the TiVo and the tuning adapter from the wall. I also removed the cablecard.

I then plugged in the TiVo, leaving the tuning adapter unplugged.

It started up and couldn't find any channels. I then told it to run guided set up. After a certain number of steps, it wanted me to put in the cablecard, so I did.

I tested some of the channels and they seemed to be working fine.

I moved on and it asked me to connect the tuning adapter, but I decided not to. It allowed me to move on in the guided set up.

I finished the guided set up and waited.

After it finished, I went through the guide, and all the HD channels worked perfectly. No duplicates, none missing, so far so good.

I did notice that probably 50-65% of the SD channels were not showing on the guide. Even after checking them in the channel lineup, they wouldn't tune in. I assume this is what the tuning adapter is for.

Honestly, I could live with this, since the only SD channel I watch on that TV is Fox Soccer (which is unfortunately one of the SD channels that isn't tuning in now). I have a cable box in the living room which works fine.

Of course, I ended up getting greedy and plugged in the tuning adapter. This brought back the multiple channel bug.

So I think there is either something wrong with our tuning adapters (I have Charter, not sure the brand of the box), or a bug in the TiVo software that is causing this repeating channel bug with certain tuning adapters.

Unfortunately, the stomach bug has been in our house over the weekend, so I haven't gotten to call TiVo support to explain the situation, and I haven't gotten to fool with the TiVo since I re-messed it up.

So in conclusion, the less than perfect fix I will revert back to this weekend is to shut everything down and restart it without the tuning adapter connected.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
easymacbb

I am glad I get to $20 a month for a product that doesn't fully work. Yes, this is just frustration. I mean, I couldn't go to Charter's DVR, just because I use kmttg so much to get the shows we watch on in the living room (TiVo in the bedroom), especially since we're normally 3 weeks behind on the shows we watch (and the shows would be deleted on the TiVo by the time we caught up).
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymacbb View Post

So I think there is either something wrong with our tuning adapters (I have Charter, not sure the brand of the box), or a bug in the TiVo software that is causing this repeating channel bug with certain tuning adapters.
I have Time Warner and the problem started the exact day my box updated to 14.2.2. Maybe just a coincidence but I think not.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

TiVo is working on it

If you have a Tuning Adapter and you are seeing duplicate channels, we are actively working on a fix. We need a day or so to test, and assuming it works, we will push the fix from the Service to boxes. We have reports that tell us which boxes are affected, so no need to call at this point.

I'll post an update as soon as I have one.

(And sorry!)

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Monkson

Thanks and I hope Tivo does actually know who it is happening to. One Tivo is fine and the other has like a bazillion channels. Thanks for the update.
Monkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
System_reset

Thanks and it is great that someone from TiVo responded to this. I have 2 out of my 3 tivos having the same problem and when I call TiVo customer service, the told me it was charter fault. Today while on the phone with charter, we swap the cable cards and tuning adapters between one bad TiVo and one good and their was no difference in the guide. So it must be the TiVo, not charter.
System_reset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
chewy2314

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
If you have a Tuning Adapter and you are seeing duplicate channels, we are actively working on a fix. We need a day or so to test, and assuming it works, we will push the fix from the Service to boxes. We have reports that tell us which boxes are affected, so no need to call at this point.

I'll post an update as soon as I have one.

(And sorry!)

--Margret
Hi Margret, just to add to this.. my THD also have this problem. no TA. Just one multistream CC.
chewy2314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy2314 View Post
Hi Margret, just to add to this.. my THD also have this problem. no TA. Just one multistream CC.
Please Email me ASAP if you have duplicate channels and do NOT have a Tuning Adapter. (margret at tivo.com)

Thanks!
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Problem I'm seeing more often is the program listed in the guide is not that which is broadcast/recorded...

Only find this out after I go to review said programing
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo View Post
Problem I'm seeing more often is the program listed in the guide is not that which is broadcast/recorded...

Only find this out after I go to review said programing
That is an issue with Tribune and the guide data. The issue here has nothing to do with that.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #20
System_reset

It is fixed. TiVo must have sent an update over night.
System_reset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by System_reset View Post
It is fixed. TiVo must have sent an update over night.
Yes, TiVo support called me a few days ago and told me they were sending a fix down to a few users to test. The channels are now back to normal. I'm not sure if the fix has been sent to everyone however.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

It should be fixed!

Hi all,

We sent a fix to all affected boxes last night. If you are still seeing duplicate channels, please force two connections to the TiVo Service and reboot your box once. If that still doesn't fix it, please email me your TiVo Service Number and details (margret@tivo.com).

Thanks,
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
cglupker

Not sure what you mean by forcing two connections.

Last I checked I still have duplicates, but I haven't rerun the guided set-up since the fix was sent out last night.
cglupker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #24
MirclMax
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglupker View Post
Not sure what you mean by forcing two connections.

Last I checked I still have duplicates, but I haven't rerun the guided set-up since the fix was sent out last night.
cglupker,

What was meant was ... go to your Settings menu. Select Network & Phone .. then tell your box to "Connect to the TiVo Service Now". This will make it "phone home" ... This could take 15-20 minutes (or more) .. but when its done, do it again.

If you find something I have said helpful, please return the favor by helping someone else.
MirclMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
rainwater

You also have to reboot. I believe it will reboot on its own at some point. Mine lost all channels until I rebooted. After that, the channels should not be duplicated anymore.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #26
easymacbb

I reconnected twice and rebooted to no avail. Will try again tonight, just didn't have enough time to try again last evening due to recordings pending.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #27
arizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Hi all,

We sent a fix to all affected boxes last night. If you are still seeing duplicate channels, please force two connections to the TiVo Service and reboot your box once. If that still doesn't fix it, please email me your TiVo Service Number and details (margret@tivo.com).

Thanks,
--Margret
So what is the new software version number? 20.3? And will it be sent to everyone?

--arizon

2 TPXLs w/ Lifetime On Cox Tucson:
#1: (20.2) [Hard wired] w/ 1 TB WD DVR Expander + SA CC ($2/month) + Cisco TA ($0)
#2: (20.2) [Tivo Wireless N @ 5 GHz] + SA CC ($2/month) + Cisco TA ($0)
arizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #28
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizon View Post
So what is the new software version number? 20.3? And will it be sent to everyone?

--arizon
It isn't a new version. It is a service update they can do remotely during the daily connection.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
Monkson

Mine is fixed as well. Woot and thanks!
Monkson is offline   Reply With Quote