TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
motech

Cool how long did the 20.2 service update take for you?

how long did it take for you?
mine started about 10 minutes ago…
says it could take up to an hour. possibly longer...
motech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Philmatic

Mine was done and rebooted in the updated OS in less than 30 minutes.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
motech

awesome. so excited : )
motech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
AMike

I received the update via download yesterday. I did a manual reset of my box once the download was completed. The overall installation of 20.2 on my box took about 30 minutes even though the screen stated that it could take an hour, possibly longer.
AMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by motech View Post
how long did it take for you?
mine started about 10 minutes ago…
says it could take up to an hour. possibly longer...
Which Premiere do you have? The install time depends on the size of the hard drive. On my regular Premiere, I think it took about 15-20 minutes. On the Elite and XL it will probably take longer.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I think the "up to an hour" is just a CYA statement that TiVo puts on that screen.
I don't think I've EVER had a software update take longer than 30 minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #7
ICPGr8Milenko

Still haven't gotten my update. Additionally, I can force connection 50 times, but I never get the pending restart. That piece seems kind of weird to me. I've unplugged and restarted numerous times, but I can't seem to force my upgrade. :-(
ICPGr8Milenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICPGr8Milenko View Post
Still haven't gotten my update. Additionally, I can force connection 50 times, but I never get the pending restart. That piece seems kind of weird to me. I've unplugged and restarted numerous times, but I can't seem to force my upgrade. :-(
You are wasting your time. You get the update when TiVo wants you to get the update.
They assign TSN's in blocks to receive the update, and only those TSN's get the update.
Yours will be assigned soon. Be patient. Watch some TV.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICPGr8Milenko View Post
There's really no way to "force an upgrade". Tivo authorizes a certain number of units to receive the update each day. If you're on the list, then the next time your unit "calls home" to Tivo it will get sent. If your box is not scheduled to call home for many hours, you can tell to do it right away, and possibly get the update a few hours earlier. But, if you try it and the update doesn't get sent to you, then repeating the process 50 times will not help at all -- you need to wait until at least the next day.

Once the update does download, the status will change to "Pending restart". Normally, the unit will then automatically reboot itself sometime during the middle of the night. Again, you can speed that process up by a few hours if you reboot the box yourself. But if the status is not "Pending restart", rebooting the box will not help.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

All I can say is the last update took nearly an hour from start to reboot
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
LDLDL

Came home, turned on the box... Nothing! Said that the channels I receive can not be located. Trying again!!!! WTF????
Rebooted, it took all of 20 minutes even though it said up to an hour. This is on the Premier XL. My Premier.... Nothing yet.
LDLDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
ICPGr8Milenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
There's really no way to "force an upgrade". Tivo authorizes a certain number of units to receive the update each day. If you're on the list, then the next time your unit "calls home" to Tivo it will get sent. If your box is not scheduled to call home for many hours, you can tell to do it right away, and possibly get the update a few hours earlier. But, if you try it and the update doesn't get sent to you, then repeating the process 50 times will not help at all -- you need to wait until at least the next day.

Once the update does download, the status will change to "Pending restart". Normally, the unit will then automatically reboot itself sometime during the middle of the night. Again, you can speed that process up by a few hours if you reboot the box yourself. But if the status is not "Pending restart", rebooting the box will not help.
I can understand that. I'm in prod dev with a cell carrier and our firmware upgrades work much the same way, so it makes sense. As far as the pending restart, I was under the impression that it would go into the pending restart as long as you made your manual connections; didn't realize that I needed to have the firmware already queued for that. Thanks for the clarification.
ICPGr8Milenko is offline   Reply With Quote