TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Resist

Premiere Froze

I either have a remote issue or a Tivo issue, which just happened. Prior it was working fine. When I press a button on my Tivo Slide remote my Tivo screen doesn't change. Yet the Tivo remote activity lights up with each button press, so it's receiving the signal.

Oh wait.......all of a sudden it unfroze and is now working fine. Clearly then the issue was with my Premiere. Anyone know why it would do this?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
RoundTuit

The same thing happened to me yesterday on 20.2. At first I thought my Harmony 900 remote was not working, but I could see the RF commands being received by the IR blaster, and I could see my TiVo PXL responding to IR commands from the blaster. I was playing a recording at the time, and the TiVo continued playing just fine, but would not respond to any commands.

I switched over to my TiVo S3 and continued watching the recorded program using MRV. When the program was over, I switched back to the TiVo PXL and it was now responding to remote commands.
RoundTuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
jpcamaro70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I either have a remote issue or a Tivo issue, which just happened. Prior it was working fine. When I press a button on my Tivo Slide remote my Tivo screen doesn't change. Yet the Tivo remote activity lights up with each button press, so it's receiving the signal.

Oh wait.......all of a sudden it unfroze and is now working fine. Clearly then the issue was with my Premiere. Anyone know why it would do this?
I had the same problem 2 days ago. All of a sudden it got stuck and i could see the light come on when i pressed the harmony remote, and then the tivo remote. After 5 minutes of futzing around, I just unplugged it, let it reboot and it's been fine.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

I have two Premieres, same age, but one occasionally responds slowly to remote, or shows more than one page on the screen. I.E. it will show the home screen and also parts of the tv show. I just unplug it and then it works fine.It has happened maybe 3 times in the last 3 months. They both have 14.9 software. ( Is that the latest?) I am not using a bluetooth remote and I am on broadband.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
drknapp

I have been experienceing the same type of issue with a slide remote on a couple of occastions. The Tivo will not react (outside the yellow led) and then it will suddenly process all of the commands received in one right after another. I had to reboot the box to get it to clear.
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I have two Premieres, same age, but one occasionally responds slowly to remote, or shows more than one page on the screen. I.E. it will show the home screen and also parts of the tv show. I just unplug it and then it works fine.It has happened maybe 3 times in the last 3 months. They both have 14.9 software. ( Is that the latest?) I am not using a bluetooth remote and I am on broadband.
The very latest Premiere software is 20.2, which is currently being rolled out in stages. I would worry that showing a partial screen (with some of the old one left) could be a sign of flaky hardware, possibly the TiVo box itself, but more likely the hard drive. Watch that Premiere carefully. Do you have backup, like the original drive if you replaced it? Could you remove the drive and run manufacturer diagnostics on it using your computer?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
The very latest Premiere software is 20.2, which is currently being rolled out in stages. I would worry that showing a partial screen (with some of the old one left) could be a sign of flaky hardware, possibly the TiVo box itself, but more likely the hard drive. Watch that Premiere carefully. Do you have backup, like the original drive if you replaced it? Could you remove the drive and run manufacturer diagnostics on it using your computer?
The flaky Premiere has the original drive in it and I do have another Premiere that I am not using, but am trying to sell it as a dumb time shift box on craigslist. So don't want to remove the drive. But if the Premiere does die, I can always trade out the drives.

Is the new software better than what I am using? I haven't been keeping up on the posts concerning it. I guess I should read through them on here.

I have never done any of that stuff as far as removing a hard drive to load software on it or do diagnostics. But I guess I should learn that stuff so I can load software on larger drives that I want to put on LIfetime boxes that I want to sell. I have only moved hard drives from the same type of box to another when I had a hard drive fail on a lifetime box.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
L David Matheny

Quote:
Is the new software better than what I am using? I haven't been keeping up on the posts concerning it. I guess I should read through them on here.
I've had 20.2 for only a few hours, but yes, I'd say it's a considerable improvement. Every Premiere should have it within a week or two.

Quote:
I have never done any of that stuff as far as removing a hard drive to load software on it or do diagnostics. But I guess I should learn that stuff so I can load software on larger drives that I want to put on LIfetime boxes that I want to sell. I have only moved hard drives from the same type of box to another when I had a hard drive fail on a lifetime box.
Since you have two Premieres, you do have a backup of sorts. If the drive in one unit fails, you would lose the programs recorded on it, but you could clone the drive from the other unit and put the copy into the failed unit. You would have to do a "Clear & delete everything" to get the software on the cloned drive to work in a box with a different TiVo Service Number, but the TiVo would be back in service.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
I have been experienceing the same type of issue with a slide remote on a couple of occastions. The Tivo will not react (outside the yellow led) and then it will suddenly process all of the commands received in one right after another. I had to reboot the box to get it to clear.
That suggests it isn't ignoring the signals from the remote but that they're getting backed up in a queue waiting for the TiVo to finish something else (which it really should set to one side while it deals with the remote command, then go back to).

Something may have been given a slightly too high priority rating in the new software.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
I don't believe the slide remote is the issue as I have had this happen on another Tivo box with its remote in the past.

I knew unplugging or restarting the Tivo would have fixed the issue, I just didn't want to do this because it was recording a show.

I don't have 20.2 yet but from the sounds of other responses, it doesn't fix this issue either. Seems to be an OS stability issue that goes way back.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had this happen last night. The batteries were fine but I took them out and put them back in and then the connection came back and I could control the Premiere again.. I didn't need to restart the TiVo. I don't know what caused the issue.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I had this happen last night. The batteries were fine but I took them out and put them back in and then the connection came back and I could control the Premiere again.. I didn't need to restart the TiVo. I don't know what caused the issue.
I think that was just coincidence.
This sounds REMARKABLE similar to the horrible "stops responding to remote" bug, doesn't it?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=456559

But that was an SDUI bug, and this sounds like an HDUI version of it (since, of course, Aaron wouldn't be caught dead using the SDUI). Is this repeatable enough to add it to the changelog?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #13
RoundTuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
But that was an SDUI bug, and this sounds like an HDUI version of it (since, of course, Aaron wouldn't be caught dead using the SDUI). Is this repeatable enough to add it to the changelog?
Definitely occurs in HDUI -- I have used the HDUI exclusively since getting the Premiere XL.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTuit View Post
Definitely occurs in HDUI -- I have used the HDUI exclusively since getting the Premiere XL.
But how long is the HDUI freeze when it happens? Does it get worse when you press more buttons? And when was the first time it ever happened to you? (Which software release?)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I think that was just coincidence.
This sounds REMARKABLE similar to the horrible "stops responding to remote" bug, doesn't it?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=456559

I've only had it happen the one time. I have two boxes with the BT remotes attached. It hasn't happened with the other box. I'm wondering if maybe there was some interference.

My box was not frozen, I could still use my IR remote with no issue. But if I didn't have the IR remote with me I might have thought the box was frozen since the BT remote wasn't doing anything to change what was on the screen. And the batteries were at 98% so they were fine.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
RoundTuit

Quote:
But how long is the HDUI freeze when it happens? Does it get worse when you press more buttons?
I can't tell you how long it was "frozen". We were probably 10 miniutes into a one hour recorded program when I first noticed that the TiVo was not reponding to remote commands when I tired to FF past a commercial. At first I thought it might be my Harmony 900 remote because I have had a couple cases of it locking up and I have to remove the battery to clear it. However, I could see that the TiVo was receiving the commands -- i.e., amber LED was responding. I tried several different remote commands with no response other than the amber LED. I even fished a TiVo peanut remote out of the drawer and tried it -- actually, I tried three of them.

At this point I was more interested in watching the program so I switched to another TiVo I have in my HT cabinet. The TiVo that was not responding to remote commands was playing the video just fine, so I thought I would try viewing it from a second TiVo via MRV. That worked fine, so the first TiVo was able to respond to Enet requests. If I had my wits about me, I would have tried my iPad, but I didn't think about that and the iPad was not nearby.

From the time I first noticed the problem until we were watching the program via MRV was problaby 2-3 minutes. When we finished watching the program on the second TiVo I switched back to the first TiVo and it was now responding to remote commands. Discounting time for commercials, at least 30 minutes had elapsed.

I am not sure what you mean by getting worse when I push more buttons. I could see no effect when sending remote commands -- the TiVo continued to play as if I wasn't sending any commands at all. In all, I probably sent 20-30 commands -- some via my H900 (RF->IR) and some via peanut remotes (IR).

Quote:
And when was the first time it ever happened to you? (Which software release?)
I think I saw this at least once prior to 20.2, but I cannot say for certain, and it would have been release 14.8x or 14.9.2.2 -- i.e., fairly recent. It has only happened once on 20.2.

Last edited by RoundTuit : 01-12-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
Resist

Quote:
But that was an SDUI bug, and this sounds like an HDUI version of it (since, of course, Aaron wouldn't be caught dead using the SDUI).
This happened to me in the SDUI. I don't use the HDUI on my Premiere.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Unfortunately, I believe we will have to wait and collect more data points before any conclusions can be drawn.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #19
aaroncgi

HDUI non-responsive to remote in 20.2.

Just a couple days ago we experienced our first ever 'stops responding to remote' bug, using the 20.2 version of the HDUI. We had used the SDUI exclusively since April 2010, never once had the problem. We switched to using the HDUI exclusively about a month ago, when 20.2 came out.

The symptoms were exactly like are described for the so called 'SDUI only' bug. Unfortunately, we didn't have the patience to wait it out and see how long it might take to come back on it's own, so no data there. We just unplugged it to reboot. We were probably only a few minutes into the non-responsiveness at that point.

Oh, and just for reference, we are OTA and internet only - no cable. The issue didn't care which remote we were trying to use of the three we have available. The Tivo's front panel registered all remotes sending a signal, just no response. We do occasionally need to take the batteries out of our Tivo-Glo remote to get it working again. But that's an issue with the remote itself, because the Tivo doesn't register commands when this happens, and our other remotes still work fine.
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncgi View Post
Just a couple days ago we experienced our first ever 'stops responding to remote' bug, using the 20.2 version of the HDUI. We had used the SDUI exclusively since April 2010, never once had the problem. We switched to using the HDUI exclusively about a month ago, when 20.2 came out.

The symptoms were exactly like are described for the so called 'SDUI only' bug. Unfortunately, we didn't have the patience to wait it out and see how long it might take to come back on it's own, so no data there. We just unplugged it to reboot. We were probably only a few minutes into the non-responsiveness at that point.

Oh, and just for reference, we are OTA and internet only - no cable. The issue didn't care which remote we were trying to use of the three we have available. The Tivo's front panel registered all remotes sending a signal, just no response. We do occasionally need to take the batteries out of our Tivo-Glo remote to get it working again. But that's an issue with the remote itself, because the Tivo doesn't register commands when this happens, and our other remotes still work fine.
I seem to have triggered the bug in the HDUI, also. It seems to be very rare, and didn't last all that long (maybe 1 min). I can't even remember what I was doing. So far, just not enough data for me to say much of anything.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
haynect

Quote:
I seem to have triggered the bug in the HDUI, also. It seems to be very rare, and didn't last all that long (maybe 1 min). I can't even remember what I was doing. So far, just not enough data for me to say much of anything.
Ok, I've seen this, or similar problem with my Premiere XL the other day.

I got the XL box directly from TiVo about 2 weeks ago. I have cable, using a Motorola M-card, using the HDUI, glow remote and I'm sorry but I don't know what software version I have yet.

The XL box was in standby (video off) and I pressed the Live TV button on the remote to wake up the XL box and watch TV. Nothing happened. I pressed it again, saw the amber light flash on the glow remote but I didn't see any response from the XL box, no flashing lights or anything. I pressed several more buttons but nothing was happening. Since I've only had the XL box for a couple of weeks I was kind of upset to say the least. I looked up the troubleshooting section in the manual and it suggested pulling the plug, waiting 15 seconds and plug it back in to reboot. I did that and everything has worked fine since then. The XL box was recording one HD show at the time so the reboot trashed the recording. Luckily the show was re-run 2 hours later so I recorded it again.

Now I have a networking issue between my XL box and my TiVo HD box. I was able to copy videos between them the other day and now they won't talk to each other but they do connect to the TiVo Service and the internet. I just changed their names (from the office) because both names had apostrophe's. I guess that's a no-no but it didn't cause a problem before and it never caused a problem transferring shows between my HD box and my S2 box. I'll see if that helps when I get home tonight.
haynect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynect View Post
Ok, I've seen this, or similar problem with my Premiere XL the other day.

I got the XL box directly from TiVo about 2 weeks ago. I have cable, using a Motorola M-card, using the HDUI, glow remote and I'm sorry but I don't know what software version I have yet.

The XL box was in standby (video off) and I pressed the Live TV button on the remote to wake up the XL box and watch TV. Nothing happened. I pressed it again, saw the amber light flash on the glow remote but I didn't see any response from the XL box, no flashing lights or anything. I pressed several more buttons but nothing was happening. Since I've only had the XL box for a couple of weeks I was kind of upset to say the least. I looked up the troubleshooting section in the manual and it suggested pulling the plug, waiting 15 seconds and plug it back in to reboot. I did that and everything has worked fine since then. The XL box was recording one HD show at the time so the reboot trashed the recording. Luckily the show was re-run 2 hours later so I recorded it again.

Now I have a networking issue between my XL box and my TiVo HD box. I was able to copy videos between them the other day and now they won't talk to each other but they do connect to the TiVo Service and the internet. I just changed their names (from the office) because both names had apostrophe's. I guess that's a no-no but it didn't cause a problem before and it never caused a problem transferring shows between my HD box and my S2 box. I'll see if that helps when I get home tonight.
The show names had apostrophes, or the names assigned to the TiVos had them? i.e., Bob's TiVo, Mom's_TiVo, etc.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
haynect

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The show names had apostrophes, or the names assigned to the TiVos had them? i.e., Bob's TiVo, Mom's_TiVo, etc.
The names I assigned to the TiVos originally had apostrophes, i.e. Chris's TiVo, Chris's HD, Chris's Premiere. I read on TiVo's website there might be problems with multi-room viewing if the TiVo name had anything other than alpha-numeric characters and spaces. So, I changed the names of all the TiVos to remove the apostrophes. I never had problems with copying shows from one TiVo to the other until recently. Now when I try to view the Now Playing List on the HD from the Premiere I get the message that there's a problem with the network. If I try to view the Now Playing list on the Premiere from the HD I get the message that there aren't any recordings on the Premiere.

BTW, I don't mean to hijack this thread with this problem. If changing the names doesn't solve the problem, I've got other things I can try. If they all fail, I'll start a new thread.
haynect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #24
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynect View Post
The names I assigned to the TiVos originally had apostrophes, i.e. Chris's TiVo, Chris's HD, Chris's Premiere. I read on TiVo's website there might be problems with multi-room viewing if the TiVo name had anything other than alpha-numeric characters and spaces. So, I changed the names of all the TiVos to remove the apostrophes. I never had problems with copying shows from one TiVo to the other until recently. Now when I try to view the Now Playing List on the HD from the Premiere I get the message that there's a problem with the network. If I try to view the Now Playing list on the Premiere from the HD I get the message that there aren't any recordings on the Premiere.

BTW, I don't mean to hijack this thread with this problem. If changing the names doesn't solve the problem, I've got other things I can try. If they all fail, I'll start a new thread.
I've got S2s and an S3 with DosFile type names (240_TiVo, 652_TiVo, Mom_TiVo, etc., and doing it that way doesn't seem to cause any networking problems, although I'm not going to risk trying a period and 3 letters at the end just to see what happens.